Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm amazed that any bank would finance a used houseboat with a 20 year term. That just sounds insane to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Agreed. It's like the banking industry doesnt want to see people boat bound.

Pretty much. I of course will plan some of the yearly stuff and budget for that accordingly. Stuff like taking the boat out of the water to be serviced and cleaned every couple of years.

The 8 grand is just for the boat. I have a little over $3k in my savings, and about $7k in my Roth that I could get if things got dire.

Holy poo poo thats awesome! Maybe I could get a used one.

One persons boat wreck is another persons fish-habitat/refuge eco-tourist trap.

Banks aren't going to want to do long loans on a houseboat because it's incredibly risky. If you walk away on your boat loan the bank is stuck with a old houseboat that is probably going to be hard as hell to sell and requires a ton of maintenance in order to not sink.

I think your idea of term and rate seems pretty dubious to me. Why would someone seller finance a boat over 20 years? I imagine that the people who own houseboats are probably older, so it seems strange that someone would be ok with waiting 20 years to get paid for a 7% note.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

So the bank won't finance the purchase of a used houseboat (what a surprise!), but they will give you a personal loan in the amount you need to buy a boat? That seems odd.

What's the term on the personal loan?

• Locked thread