Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Have you had other creative ideas to cut costs that others seem baffled by? Or really off the wall financial ideas to make a ton of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks. People said I was stupid and dumb and crazy when I moved to an off grid cabin in Alaska too. But it was some of the most fun I had in my life and a great experience. I think people greatly overestimate the risk of something like this and place to great an importance on their own comfort. It'll probably be cold as poo poo at times but I bet I still have fun and learn a lot.

Do you often have off the wall ideas about living in places that people say you're dumb and crazy about? Maybe not often but once every 2 years? Do you uncomfortable after that time and feel the need to pick up everything and move? Behavior people think is really weird.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No, Alaska was the last one and it wasnt like I moved out there hasily either. I had a very good job lined up and stayed for over 5 years so you can probably give up on your armchair psychology.

The last one isn't the only one. Are you saying Alaska was the only one, or just the last one?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

Is the 8k your boat budget or your savings?

Please answer this one so we can at least make sure you're safely making a horrible decision.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Tots posted:

8k is his down payment money IIRC

She's asking if the 8k is just 8 grand in his savings account and when spent it will leave him without any liquidity so if an emergency came up he's poo poo out of luck, or if he still has a nice enough savings cushion on top of being able to afford the boat.

If you don't have any savings after the downpayment then you can't really afford it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The 8 grand is just for the boat. I have a little over $3k in my savings, and about $7k in my Roth that I could get if things got dire.

Just know citing your retirement fund as a backup for if poo poo gets real is usually the beginning of every bad budget thread. Also at this point you really should have a bigger retirement account than savings. You may want to consider moving the money around a bit, buffering your savings and retirement and then consider buying a boat home in spring 2017.

Also it's irresponsible as gently caress to hit the open lakes with 3k in your pocket and pray nothing happens to your boat.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That's just my roth which serves as a backup savings account. I'm fully vested already in a defined benefits pension and I have a separate 401k.

And?

You shouldn't use your roth as a backup savings account that's dumb as hell. Even if you had 3 million dollars in bonds feeding you 120k a year you still shouldn't use your Roth as a backup savings account.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Come on girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBwsG8ubFw

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What kind of permits do you need to live on a boat?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

None. If anyone questions you then you can just take them on your cool boat and they'll come around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_49P1RtqU0

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think we forgot that food costs are going to go down because of the sheer amount of fish he's going to eat. Maybe even some crayfish depending on the lake.

How much are you planning on fishing and eating from the lake?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For the last time people I'll be in a river not lakebound! That way I have way more traveling opportunities.

I do like to fish but marina fish can't be that healthy to eat. I imagine the dog will catch a few wayward birds or squirrels that will be added to the stew pot.

Catch some catfish then dude catfish eat off the bottom and are immune to all that poo poo. Plus it's not like these fish live in the marina they're just visiting.

Who hasn't caught dock fish before :wtc:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I see there's a kitchen area but what exactly do you cook on?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Again, what are you supposed to cook on in that thing?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How do you plan on cooking in this flammable deathtrap of a hull?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What's your credit score?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Last I checked 720. No negatives listed but the age of my accounts was young which hurts and I usually have a balance when credit karma does it score checking. I DO pay off my card every two weeks but I use it a lot for work and get reimbursed later so it shows I have a rolling balance. I asked in the credit card thread for some recommendations and I'll probably get another one to try and help my utilization.

I'm confused at this point why you can't just save up the money to get a loan easier, or just save up the money and buy the boat outright? If credit is a problem it's saying something more than you need to video game your score up to get a boat.

If you had half the downpayment it'd be easier to get the loan right?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Will you still go through with this plan if you can't get insured?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dont see how I can really, no marina will let you winter over without insurance. That means that all of the good steel hull boats I looked at are probably out unless by some miracle I am able to get one insured.

So what is the plan to get an insured boat? You're really focused on credit but it sounds like the insurance issue is much bigger.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why do you need to take a boat safety class when nobody takes a house safety class. It's just a house on water instead of a house on a secured foundation.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SarutosZero posted:

OP have you considered asking your GF to cosign a boat loan

That's puting the cart before the horse there getting the anchor like that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What about insurance on the boat itself did you work that out yet?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've just gotten ballpark estimates on a few that I was considering buying but wasn't able to get an acceptable loan on. Nothing concrete yet.

What is the ballpark estimate?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

We can only dream he gets to the point where he attempts to buy this boat and live on it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hey BaseballPCHiker came here to get help and receive answers, not have more problems be made so lets brainstorm some businesses that are above water for him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SarutosZero posted:

OP could probably hire a local starving artist for pretty cheap to mock up some BUSINESS SIGNS and business cards to prove that his boat dog daycare and server business is legit.

I got it, he spends an hour a week, tops, fishing off his boat. Catches fish, gives it to charity because he's set up his boat business as non profit, EVERYONE WINS

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why can you insure an entire boat when you're only using a portion of it for insurance. Are you 100% positive you can insure the entirety of asset of the boat even though only a % is on the books?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Even if they signed the dumb 10 dollar increase month to month contract they'd just kick him out the next month and he'd just delay this absurd venture lolol.

Jesus christ this thread rules

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I can't believe how action packed this thread is at only 12 pages. Also I can't believe how happy someone can be over 300 dollars who is in the market to buy a house...

boat

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If this isn't a troll, which I honestly can't tell, I legitimately think you should see a therapist if you think boat or homeless are your only viable options.

Also how are you going to post here if you're a hobo?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That guy is in Vegas though, I'm pretty sure OP's shoes are going to freeze to the concrete trying to walk to one.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Why don't you find a room to rent that is month to month and get a storage unit until you can live out your dreams of being a lovely boat captain?

You know, just in case.... It wouldn't even be that much money to have a lot of security

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

Please learn what this is before you buy the boat though.

I'm pretty sure an umbrella will work to waterproof the boat. You can buy those at walmart too which makes it way easier.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

All in all I feel as if my floating titanic of fiscal responsibility and fun just got sunk by the iceberg of reality and poo poo bankers.

The metaphors write themselves don't they

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Agreed but I dont know what else to do. I dont want to take out that crazy %10 personal loan either.

Have you done the math? What's the break even point?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

spog posted:

Surely the sensible answer is to get a bunch of credit cards?

It could be based off savings, job security, and general security like with his girlfriend or parents.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I Might Be Adam posted:

Why not just buy a cabin? Hey, what about a tiny house? Just build yourself a human sized doghouse, plop it down in your gf's parents backyard and live in there until your wedding night when the parents will invite you to stay in the house now that you're all hitched to their daughter and whatnot.

Because the water has to come to you to make a cabin float and who knows when that'll happen. How's he supposed to make an above water investment without a boat?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also there's nothing thrilling about surprising your girlfriend with the cabin you bought. That'd probably only creep her out because cabins are scary. Buy a house boat though, and boy howdy that's a real treat to show off.

He'll show her a great time out on the high lakes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That said I think my money problems will be solved once my Left Shark super bowl bet pays off.

Lol hold on.

Your what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Its simple, if the left shark guy shows up in the Super Bowl halftime show I'll be sitting pretty. Like sitting on the deck of a houseboat pretty.

How much did you bet, and how much are you going to make?

• Locked thread