Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
This is such a bad idea in every way possible.

Have you considered moving into a smaller and/or cheaper apartment? I guarantee you can find a more affordable place to live that has more livable space than a 40 year old loving house boat. Seriously, how many square feet of indoor space do the boats you're looking at have?

Also, you'll deal with boat maintenance as it comes up? I think you're underestimating the cost of boat repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Have any pictures of this current boat?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Didn't you say you didn't want a studio? That thing looks smaller than a studio....

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
$700-$800 to wrap the boat? That's a yearly thing I'm assuming? You're going to blow what is basically the equivalent of a months rent on wrapping your boat each winter. It sounds to me like the price of heating your boat is astronomical.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

MrKatharsis posted:

BFC is full of fun hating wet blankets and yet we wonder why we rarely get good threads.

OP: You are awesome. The haters are just jealous. Rock on. Don't use your Roth as an emergency fund though.

If OP wants to do this, I say go ahead. This sounds like it could be an awesome thing to try and I'm sure a lot of great stories would come out of such a lifestyle, but sit here and pretend this is a good move from a financial point of view.

OP have you gone to this thread and asked about insurance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763 ?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Oh good, I was hoping this thread hadn't died.

OP, you're really loving stupid and there is a 0% chance you will save any money doing this.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

CellarDweller posted:

Sounds like that if you just refused to sign the lease you would still be living there until the end of March because of the need for two months notice. So really you paid 20 bucks for the privilege of not being able to rent somewhere else. Congratz?

Response to this OP? Because loving lol.

I know you can take a loan from your retirement account as a downpayment for a house. Can you do this for a house.....boat? Something to consider op. Not because it's smart, but because this whole thing is dumber and more hilarious than the whole doobie saga, which is one of my favorite things ever.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

YarPirate posted:

OP what kind of beer should I bring for the boatwarming party? Can't wait!

It's going to have to literally be a boatwarming party, as he's purchasing and moving into a house boat in the middle of winter in Minnesota.

OP, what do people you know in real life think about this idea?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
It might be a better use of your time at the moment to look for apartments and not boats, seeing as you are getting kicked out of your place you knucklehead.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Your money is on left shark doing what? Why would the shark even be in the half time show this year? You are loving stupid with money. Congrats.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
The best part of all this is after living on a boat for 2 weeks he's going to realize he loving hates it, but now he's stuck with some poo poo house boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anything over $130k is expensive.

Maybe you can put some whiteout after the last zero and buy a home for $13k!

• Locked thread