Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point. The boat would be way more comfortable and roomy then this new place too. This has got me discouraged again. Equally BS is that when you read a lot of these houseboat blogs they all got loans during the crazy irresponsible banking years when they were loaning out money to anybody and those lucky and brave few have come out way ahead. I make a decent living, even if the whole boat sunk I could repay it fairly quickly.

Maybe I need to look into like lendingtree or those peer to peer banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been looking into it some more and apparently some places treat a boat loan like an RV or ATV loan. Which means yes slightly higher APR but usually for a way longer term that I could pay off super early, and less annoying paperwork since it wouldnt be like a home loan. I just list it as a recreational vehicle and then sleep soundly atop a boat home of savings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Prosper will loan you (If you have similar income and credit score as me) 35k at 5.99%. There are at least 3 other peer to peer sites that will do the same. That is 100k for your boat home trailer park investment. Do it. Why do you not want to become the Donald Trump of house boats? You can import a wife from Canada.

If what you are saying is true about prosper this could be a game changer. Do you have to list what you want the money for or could I get that rate on a personal loan. If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements. Just as the weather starts to turn. Ooooohhhhhhh mannnn this could be the big one.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just get a boatload of credit cards, why is this so hard

Because one of the main reasons to do this is to save money. If I go and buy a boat with a bunch of credit cards at 20% APR it doesnt make a bit of financial sense. As it stands right now I'm waiting for this Friday to get my credit card reimbursment from work and then I'm going to apply to places like Prosper and see what kind of terms I can get.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I give up.

I can't get a loan with normal terms to get a good houseboat. By the time I save up enough to buy a houseboat outright I could just put 20% down on a real house. The only ones I can afford to buy outright are pieces of poo poo and moldy stink traps. I live in an apartment I hate now and my job keeps getting shittier by the week. I thought that I'd have a summer of fun boat times to look forward to, instead I live in a lovely apartment that saves me what I was expecting to save living on a boat.

I don't know what my next move is. Really what I need is a normal mortgage type loan for a houseboat but NOBODY will do that. I've talked to several houseboat owners and it was way more common before the bank crisis in 08. The best I can do is a boat/rv type loan at higher interest and a quicker repayment which doesnt end up saving me money.

Maybe I can start a kickstarter for some sort of Mississippi river distillery/brewery houseboat and sell tickets to hipsters who want to drink rank microbrews and float down the river.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Just move to Seattle like every other drat goon.

I'm trying to save money not waste it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Don't you work in IT? Browse around glassdoor.com for a while and then tell us why living in Minnesota is the only path to riches.

I do work in IT. Living in Minnesota isnt the only path obviously, but the job market is fantastic and housing while expensive isnt crazy coastal prices yet.

Moneyball posted:

Can you throw really hard with your left hand? I know a way you can make $100 a day and might even be able to stay in Minnesota.

No I have a terrible arm, not even good enough for the soft tossing Twins.

n8r posted:

I still don't understand why you can't rent a houseboat.

I looked into it, only available during the summer and very expensive. Its aimed more towards vacationers than frugal types.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Define "expensive" because I'm looking on redfin and see a shitload of cheap houses in and around Minneapolis.

Anything over $130k is expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I remain Houseboatless and sadly may forever remain that way as I'm close to having %20 ready for a down payment on a decent cheap house. However my basic point of it being a good cheap fun way of living remains:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/02/14/winona-houseboat-culture-winter-living-challenges#gallery

quote:

Swanson said that if there's a common reason people choose to live in a houseboat here, it's affordability.
Barbi Bell moved to the island in the 1980s with her son, Jonah, and bought a houseboat for just $5,000. She said raising Jonah on the river was magical. He and his friends roamed the island in the summer, and Jonah bragged that he could swim under his bedroom.

• Locked thread