Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

As to why I wont move into a van or something if I'm worried about cheap rent there are a couple of reasons. Number one is that living in a van would suck. The houseboat offers far more room and space and is really more like a floating cabin. Secondly I would worry about the health and safety of my dog and finally I wouldnt want to have to deal with the insane logistics of van living.

What if you bought a RV those are pretty big

Although those dont build equity the same way a boat would!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Will this latest scheme pay off and will the OP finally be able to buy the lakehome of his dreams?? Tune in next episode to find out

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No the idea is if my savings keep going at this rate, I could buy a houseboat outright and then just have maintenance and dock costs. Lets say at the extreme end that ends up being $600 a month. I'm still saving $5-600 a month then that can go into a house fund. So if I buy the boat outright and live on it cheap for 4-5 years I could put something like %50 down on a house, leading to way cheaper payments.

Don't wuss out now, your houseboat dreams are within reach

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

When the next huge biblical flood comes who's gonna be laughing at all the rent paying nerds; you will be up on your houseboat.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Let he who ties himself to the rents of the land sink underwater with their mortgages while he who trusts in his houseboat float on the frozen lakes of his dreams.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Can the OP post again and let us know the state of his houseboat dreams? There have been a lot of supportive posts in these recent times of trouble waters after his last few posts

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I found a much shittier apartment that the girlfriend and I both hate. It's $200 a month cheaper but seems run down. Guess I'll see how it goes.

But think of the rent you're saving. Thats money that can go directly into the boat fund.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just looking at my savings and boat prices has got me pissed off again. This has got to be a slam dunk loan and yet no bank will even consider it! I could put close to 50% down at this point. The boat would be way more comfortable and roomy then this new place too. This has got me discouraged again. Equally BS is that when you read a lot of these houseboat blogs they all got loans during the crazy irresponsible banking years when they were loaning out money to anybody and those lucky and brave few have come out way ahead. I make a decent living, even if the whole boat sunk I could repay it fairly quickly.

Maybe I need to look into like lendingtree or those peer to peer banks.

Maybe you could find a way to buy it in pieces

like buy the base now and just camp out on it and then when you save up the other 50% get someone to build the rest so then it would have everything you want

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been looking into it some more and apparently some places treat a boat loan like an RV or ATV loan. Which means yes slightly higher APR but usually for a way longer term that I could pay off super early, and less annoying paperwork since it wouldnt be like a home loan. I just list it as a recreational vehicle and then sleep soundly atop a boat home of savings.

The dream lives

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If what you are saying is true about prosper this could be a game changer. Do you have to list what you want the money for or could I get that rate on a personal loan. If I got one for 35K I could get a hell of a boat and put in some major improvements. Just as the weather starts to turn. Ooooohhhhhhh mannnn this could be the big one.

What's stopping you from just listing something else even if they do want a list

It's not like they're gonna swim out to check

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Time to make some waves

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

OP why aren't you considering building your own houseboat

I saw a bunch of people building houses themselves on television so Im sure you can do it too

never give up the dream.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Yea I bet the new apartment doesn't even need to be winterized. Hoping the OP can get his dreamboat soon.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Keep the Dream alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I remain Houseboatless and sadly may forever remain that way as I'm close to having %20 ready for a down payment on a decent cheap house. However my basic point of it being a good cheap fun way of living remains:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/02/14/winona-houseboat-culture-winter-living-challenges#gallery

What if you use the downpayment instead for a downpayment on a boathouse. You have to keep the living on a lake dream alive.

• Locked thread