Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/don-rickles-thinkpiece/

This is something like the 400th time I read a front page article and without looking at the name I went "the premise is funny, it's Zack Parsons". Thanks for always capturing stuff that is funny, writing it down with words that are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I see something like this article that seems to be mocking the same absurdities that I'm tired of seeing run free, I worry that it's actually getting meta and really trying to make fun of me, instead of things that I think are ridiculous. I enjoyed the joke the article appeared to be making, so I would also like to thank you for it. I think...

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
It was really funny.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I just read that one and it's hilarious. It's all about perspective, and our writer has it.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Zack's writing is definitely one of the main reasons I've kept reading SA's front page all these years.

Thanks, Zack!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is one of the stupidest jokes ever and I love it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I see that Mr. Parsons is a Clickhole fan.

Bluudnut
Apr 9, 2015
I would allow my wife to cuckold me if it were with Zack Parsons.

Just sayain......

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Zach Parsons is also writing for his own site, where he's also started doing WTF D&D again.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

BiggerJ posted:

Zach Parsons is also writing for his own site, where he's also started doing WTF D&D again.

Oh well maybe my $100/month would be better served buying my breakfast

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm forwarding the new article to all my conservative pals on the facebook. They are sure to enjoy it!

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

I'm forwarding the new article to all my conservative pals on the facebook. They are sure to enjoy it!

They'll write back asking why such an informative article would be featured on a comedy site.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
:agreed: parsons is awesome

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

to this day the CONEX: Convict Connections series remains one of the best things I've ever read -- https://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

A misanthrope posted:

to this day the CONEX: Convict Connections series remains one of the best things I've ever read -- https://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/

seriously, those are amazing works of horror meta fiction

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's some good Don Rickles material.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
what happened to that outer echelon series

it stopped after book three and there hasn't been any news in ages

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I liked Liminal States.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Obligatory Handle posted:

I liked Liminal States.

Same. He really lost me in some of those "alien worlds" parts but the dialogue was always good and it moved along nicely.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Poison womb

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

If there was ever a time for Levi Johnston to Check In again, I think it is now. I'm not sure that's a thing that can happen here anymore though. Oh well.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone remember Dance Dance Karnov?

I think it is one of the most glorious things I have ever seen and it made me start to lurk on SA back in 2001.

:nws: and volume warning (old school flash) http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/flash-game-dance/

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Zack does not get enough respect around here. Those "instruction for a help" articles are also some of the best things I've ever read on the internet.

https://www.somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 4, 2016

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Obligatory Handle posted:

I liked Liminal States.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did he do the Food Critic from 1910ish? I liked that one

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just got liminal states how good is it genuinely?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I just got liminal states how good is it genuinely?

I thought it was quite excellent.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This is still one of my favorite Zack Parsons things:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/europa/

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This Jared Leto Joker thing is his best in a while.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The "Instruction for ..." series and that stuff about angels and unravelers was p. cool I agree. I also like the guy who does the dog classifieds.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Cry Havoc posted:

what happened to that outer echelon series

it stopped after book three and there hasn't been any news in ages

anyone have any info

haven't been able to find anything on this

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/xfiles-screaming-mulder/

I laughed at Mulder being used for religious belief and Scully being the Doubting Thomas.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cry Havoc posted:

anyone have any info

haven't been able to find anything on this

At one point he posted on his Facebook that he was gonna release the last (or second to last?) volume in November 2014 and then it just never appeared and I don't think he mentioned it again unless he's said something in the past like 4 months. I've asked him about it on Twitter a couple of times and he never responded. Maybe if we hound him enough he'll tell us.

Also Liminal States was really good.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't know if we're supposed to talk about this here or not, but some time in late 2014 the Front Page sort of half-reinvented itself and Zack Parsons also cut down his involvement without actually leaving. There are fewer articles posted to the Front Page each week, and some of the older mainstays are just gone. He still writes for Fridays now, but he also writes on that other site.

I never noticed any changes like this being announced; it just sort of happened or got rolled out without mention. SA articles seems to be getting shorter, more to-the-point, and, as far as I can tell, a bit more like what people on the Internet seem to want these days. I don't feel like I browse widely enough on today's web to say it more definitively. Parsons' longer, more involved stuff has either stopped, been moved off-site, or gone into the normal publishing world.

I'm not trying to pry here, but I've decided to stop withholding this observation.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.
- Zack

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I'm always relieved when I see a new article from Zack Parsons, because I know the front page is still carrying on even if it's in a state of change. I miss the early days under Garbageday sometimes too but there's still good stuff coming out. I think the front page can still rally. Every Parsons article keeps that hope alive for me, at least.

Also sometimes they make me pee myself laughing or become afraid of grasshopper aliens, those things too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Also sometimes they make me pee myself laughing or become afraid of grasshopper aliens, those things too.

The grasshopper alien at the end of Liminal States seemed kind of friendly.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Onomarchus posted:

I don't know if we're supposed to talk about this here or not, but some time in late 2014 the Front Page sort of half-reinvented itself and Zack Parsons also cut down his involvement without actually leaving. There are fewer articles posted to the Front Page each week, and some of the older mainstays are just gone. He still writes for Fridays now, but he also writes on that other site.

I never noticed any changes like this being announced; it just sort of happened or got rolled out without mention. SA articles seems to be getting shorter, more to-the-point, and, as far as I can tell, a bit more like what people on the Internet seem to want these days. I don't feel like I browse widely enough on today's web to say it more definitively. Parsons' longer, more involved stuff has either stopped, been moved off-site, or gone into the normal publishing world.

I'm not trying to pry here, but I've decided to stop withholding this observation.

We never received any mandate from Lowtax or anything like that. I just write the stuff I think is funny, as I've been doing for the past ten years.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

bobservo posted:

We never received any mandate from Lowtax or anything like that. I just write the stuff I think is funny, as I've been doing for the past ten years.

Keep up the good work, Bobservo!

And on topic, today's seatbelt PSA (http://www.somethingawful.com/news/buckle-your-seatbelts/) is well-done, Zack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Today's is a killer entry too. Nobody else captures the zeitgeist quite like Parsons, even when (or especially when) "timeliness" becomes a complicated idea.

Edit-

Okay, so today (The 23rd now) marks the third article by Zack this year that I have fooled my coworkers with. Today's Unfortunate Corporate Social Media Reactions to Prince's Death, and previously Who Said It: Donald Trump or Al Pacino as Big Boy Caprice From Dick Tracy? and 2016's Resolutions You've Probably Already Broken all start off reading like such perfect clones of the endlessly derivative micro-articles flowing out of every pore of the web now. But then there's this wonderful moment in each when they cross a threshhold and you realize what's really going on, and it's hilarious and meaningful at the same time. Good stuff.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread