Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
How exactly did peoples scumchance change last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm really not understanding how and why the percentages will change.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Everyone started at 83% town, 16% scum. I'm guessing that the people who were investigated and returned town had their scum chance go down, and the people who were investigated and returned scum had their scum chance go up. Not sure how exactly "Lock" is affected.

We're getting three people who say they investigated AnonymousNarcotic though, so maybe that's player 1?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

That would make sense. Since AN was popular, voting AN could dramatically narrow our reality.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That's a good point. Good thinking gang

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Voting anyone would dramatically narrow our reality. Let's not get rid of the person who came up town more times than not.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Conversely, if I'm reading this right, the 82% lock chance and 15% scum chance means that Player 1 has an 82% chance to be vanilla town, a 15% chance to be some brand of scum, and a 3% chance to be the cop. If our goal is to not lynch the cop, that player might be a good bet.

Then again, the lock chance confuses me, and I guess the cop chance is supposed to be hidden? Does investigating someone reduce their chance to be cop? :psyduck:

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the hook is though that we don't know each others player numbers

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lock is the percentage of realities that their current role is their actual role, so far as I understand it.

A player with a high lock and a high chance of scum, for example, is most likely scum,

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Conversely, if I'm reading this right, the 82% lock chance and 15% scum chance means that Player 1 has an 82% chance to be vanilla town, a 15% chance to be some brand of scum, and a 3% chance to be the cop. If our goal is to not lynch the cop, that player might be a good bet.

Then again, the lock chance confuses me, and I guess the cop chance is supposed to be hidden? Does investigating someone reduce their chance to be cop? :psyduck:

Investigating someone increases their chance of being cop.
When you investigate you eliminate universes in which you're the cop. This the total number of universes where the target is not the cop has decreased.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Jedit posted:

code:
           Good Evil Dead Lock
Player  1:  84%  15%   0%  82%
Player  2:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player  3:  81%  18%   0%  72%
Player  4:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player  5:  82%  17%   0%  72%
Player  6:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  7:  81%  18%   0%  72%
Player  8:  83%  16%   0%  75%
Player  9:  85%  14%   0%  76%
Player 10:  83%  16%   0%  74%
Player 11:  81%  18%   0%  72%
Player 12:  83%  16%   0%  74%

Remaining universes: 962

Yeah, if Player 1 investigated and somehow passed their certainty roll (that's what happens first, right?) then I'm reading this to be they're more likely to be the cop, or at least town.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for ending speculation until after n1

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ why does everybody in that sample game thread have a dragon avatar

Do I want to know?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I also investigate AnonNarco and got a Not Evil response, so I think it's highly likely that Narco is player 1.

I recommend voting out someone else.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Fair enough.

##Unvote

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Since we're doing that, AnonymousNarcotics isn't evil. I also tried to nightkill AnonymousNarcotics but that was before I got the PM saying I didn't get to nightkill on night 0.

Look at this guy though, just jumping at the chance to be a scumbo. My scumdar is pinging pretty hard right now.

##vote Pittsburgh Lambic

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Is this a timeline where you have a scumdar? Because you could just think you have one.

Regardless, it's worth a shot.

##vote Pittsburgh Lambic

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The only way to find out is to open the box and see if the cat's town, scum, or the cop :allears:

The cat dies when we open the box, but you gotta make sacrifices, you know?

##vote Pittsburgh Lambic

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Seriously I'm not seeing too much in the way of other productive discussion happening today. If anyone wants, I can try claiming which player I am.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Alternately we can wait and see about lynching an inactive.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Alternately we can wait and see about lynching an inactive.

That sounds like a good idea too.

But of course, this could be a timeline in which everyone is active.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, voting lurkers is extra good in this game because there is as likely a chance of them being scum as anyone else really.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does lynching actually kill the player or does it just shorten their possibilities?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Actually kill.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

There was an effort post here about what lynching can give to us but I'll sum it up by saying we should lynch today and see what happens.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a votefinder?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Apologies for being super inactive, I have been sleeping/busy in all possible timelines.

Speaking of, what is everyone's favourite quantum fiction?

Got Rather Watch Them as !scum. Their suggestion to lynch today and see what happens notwithstanding.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
This thread got a whole lot more complicated overnight.

As far as I see it, it doesn't really matter who we lynch, seeing as our results last night were completely random.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jesus christ why does everybody in that sample game thread have a dragon avatar

Do I want to know?

It's nothing fet-based. Malazan Empire is a forum for readers of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I believe they award avatars by post count. In the books dragons are all ancient shapeshifters so high volume posters get dragon avatars, and regular Mafia players post a lot.

I've added a Votefinder tracker to post #2 along with the probability matrix.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 27, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's nothing fet-based. Malazan Empire is a forum for readers of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I believe they award avatars by post count. In the books dragons are all ancient shapeshifters so high volume posters get dragon avatars, and regular Mafia players post a lot.

I've added a Votefinder tracker to post #2 along with the probability matrix.

Thanks for the explanation!

Rather Watch Them posted:

There was an effort post here about what lynching can give to us but I'll sum it up by saying we should lynch today and see what happens.

I agree with that. It seems to me like we won't really have any big cascading effects (people losing investigative powers, other people having their cop chance go way up) until we get a cardflip.

Cardflips in this game do seem to take the form of opening Schroedinger's box. Each player is both town and scum as long as he is alive, but once his box is opened, he's fixed as being one or the other, and all the realities where his role would make certain actions impossible come to an end.

Basically, it's :psyduck:: The Game.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I investigated Meinberg. He's probably not evil.

I don't want to vote for Pittsburgh Lambic. I like turtles :unsmith:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

If anyone wants, I can try claiming which player I am.

Would that make any difference to the percentages though? Whatever you claim, you could be lying, so it shouldn't collapse down any parallel realities.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

Would that make any difference to the percentages though? Whatever you claim, you could be lying, so it shouldn't collapse down any parallel realities.

It wouldn't; I was thinking at the time that dropping claim could provide additional insight when/after I was lynched about how the mechanics would work going forward. Not sure how useful that would be now.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I feel bad lynching anyone since technically everyone is town.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Although everyone is scum too

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Although everyone is scum too

Hm. There is that.

Well, I guess there's just one thing for it. Random.org, activate!
... 9.

Ninth person on the list of players in the first post is Carbon Dioxide.
##vote Carbon Dioxide.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide is also second most inactive to WilliamAnderson.

##Unvote

##Vote Carbon dioxide

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
##vote nolynch I DENY YOUR REALITY.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

##Vote Carbon dioxide

I'll hop on a bandwagon. Someone is dying soon enough. It could possibly be me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kashuno posted:

##vote nolynch I DENY YOUR REALITY.

This is super scummy!!!

##vote Carbon Dioxide

But I'd rather vote out inactive people.

• Locked thread