Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Not sure how much it interests people here, but while we're between updates and horrifying safety board post-mortems you may be interested to know the developers behind Train Fever are set to announce their next game on April 11th. No details yet but it will apparently once again feature trains - oddly enough the promo shot on their website features the front profile of a de Havilland Comet.

2016 is shaping up to be the return of weird niche genres. (stop making lovely phone games and get with the program, Sawyer!)

Did I ever mention that all the transport games and RCT games Sawyer wrote were coded in x86 machine code? Because I find that really impressive.

The Comet really is pretty good looking for a jetliner. I hope their game has a better operational history though! I'll follow it with interest, and consider buying it if it doesn't go over the top with the simulationist aspects.

I was away over the weekend but now I'm back I'd like to show off something that our network was never efficient enough to achieve. That is to transport lots of goods by increasing industry production (It can be done), so I'm going to do another scenario where we go for straight bulk hauling on a very limited series of lines.

In the meantime, we should brainstorm the final jewels that we shall put in the crown of the Auckland transportation network , because there's only 15 years left before the technical development goes dead and we call it a day. I'd like to do something with the rail lines out east and Up north, because the ones we have are underutilized while the central part is congested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

we have a Trans-New Zealand passenger service on the land lines right. And/or a stops all stations? That's about all that spring to mind.

That depends entirely if their simulation includes the plane randomly explosively decompressing because the windows are a bunch of squares

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

we have a Trans-New Zealand passenger service on the land lines right. And/or a stops all stations? That's about all that spring to mind.

That depends entirely if their simulation includes the plane randomly explosively decompressing because the windows are a bunch of squares
Xelada set a goal way back for a service between opposite ends of the map and I never got round to doing it. I can certainly do that. I can give an all station train for all passenger service stations, but It'll probably be a massive wrench in the works. I'll give it a go at the end.

Bulk hauling Eastern US 1: 1900-1922

For this one, We're going to the Eastern USA scenario, unmodified except for removing thoses pesky AI opponents. The southern part of the map is flat and contains a number of complementary industries, including oil wells and refineries.

We start by linking the wells near Baton Rouge with the refinery at Pensacola.

Our first train has 10 wagons and carries 100 tons of oil every few weeks. It's set to wait at Baton Rouge until it is fully loaded. With money coming in, we can rapidly turn our track into a one way circuit, then add some more trains. At this stage they all have 10 wagons.

The maximum station length is 15 squares, so we expand the stations and plan for the future by adding an approach sector of the same size.

The wells are producing about 120t of oil per month, and therefore it only takes three trains to clear everything from the station. Importantly, only 72% of production is shipped. This is a hard limit, and the wells will not ship any more when there is only nearby station. Therefore we start a new branch and build a second station on the other side of the well.

One thing I've learnt from the LP is that rectilinear intersections seem to help the trains path correctly.

With two stations in the area, 100% of the oil is shipped. Now everything is set up, and we start futureproofing these stations. I plan to take a lot of oil out of here.

We're making money pretty fast as it is, this is quite a lucrative route despite the low payment rate for oil.

I rebuild the exit for the Pensacola refinery with wider curves and shallower gradients so it becomes more friendly to heavy trains with very anaemic locomotives.

So here's the layout for the two well stations. Eventually all that extra track will be connected and turned into station platforms. You can also see here that I've shortened the trains down to 8 wagons. This is so that they don't take as long to fully load. We're still buying new trains whenever we can afford, so that we carry 100% of production.

Finally, it happens! Suddenly our railroad has twice as much to haul. It took a long time because our 10 wagon locos were waiting several weeks to fill up. There is some kind of requirement that the vehicles have to make money or deliver rapidly that must be fulfilled as well as shipping most of the production and having good station ratings.

Off course, as soon as production doubles, oil begins backloging again.

The special 2-4-2s are way too weak, so we double head them. All trains go back up to 10 wagons.

Already, the big station at Pensacola is proving it's worth. We want the trains to unload here as fast as possible so there's lots of lanes. At the wells, we only want one train waiting at each station or it will take too long to get a full load. The others queue until it's full and take it's place as soon as it leaves, so that every drop is transported.

We are still buying trains, I think we had about 7 at this point, plus a bunch of trams to keep cash flowing between deliveries.

Once all the trains are carrying 110 - 130 t we've matched production again and production doubles again.

We're also expanding to other wells in the area so that we don't lose it all if Baton Rouge closes down.

Oil is coming in pretty rapidly now. We build a few more trains, tweak their sizes and tweak a few corners to larger radii.

I want to add more platforms but the station is getting too large. We have to shorten the platforms. It won't make any difference as the platforms are already londer than the trains.

The wells outside Dallas are connected up. I also start passneger trains in the southeast so that the towns will grow enough to accept goods from the refinery.

Production redoubles, halves, and doubles again, but we can't sustain it and it drops back to 1907 levels about a year later.

Production at 500t per month is so fast that the station platform fills up with oil in the same time it takes for a train to vacate and the next one arrive.

This time we're fast enough to collect and production will stay at this level.

Now production is fast enough for two trains to fill up at each station without delay. We're up to 17 trains now just on the Baton Rouge route.

The Baldwin 2-8-0 has twice the power with much less weight, but the top speed is significantly slower. I change about half the fleet over, but eventually will replace them with pairs of specials again, as they are able to hit their top speed of 72kmh. Apologies, I meant to play this whole thing in imperial units, but at some stage I played the main LP game again and switched back to metric. Also note that these are the empty weights - the Specials weigh 410t when full!

So by 1918, we're already hauling a very large amount. Each of the trains delivers about every 40 days for about $1000, at a time when a steam engine costs about $3000. We're now rich enough to fund our own refinery in 1918 which is pretty bloody good going.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

Everything is more exciting with the Main Theme!

Still prefer the lesser-known amiga theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSHgwXF3WtI

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. That's kind of ridiculous, how much money you can make when you have room to focus on one industry.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wow! That's very different in style to the rest of the series. I knew Sawyer did Amiga coding, but not that the first tycoon game was Amiga.

I got most of the music links from Gamegroove's youtube channel, which also had the must to TT and TTD PC versions. They've done a good job converting it from MIDI.

Glazius posted:

Wow. That's kind of ridiculous, how much money you can make when you have room to focus on one industry.

Yep, we're about twice as rich as the main LP at this point, although we aren't spending as much on construction.

For this style of play, you end up spending almost as much time tweaking the lines as in a big network. If you don't respond when production doubles, backlogs tank your ratings and it'll fall back to where it was before. If it does fall, you can't just leave it be because your trains will spend too long waiting to fill up. You have to sell rolling stock to match. Essentially, you are trying to balance train frequency and train length to provide perfect service.

Often, a new locomotive or rolling stock will give the efficiency boost required to expand production. I'm going to see if we can reach 2000t/month with the Specials and Baldwins, but it probably won't stick until we get Pacific locos in 1935.

Another thing to note is that you can only do this to extractive industries - farms or forests won't double based on service.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Wow! That's very different in style to the rest of the series. I knew Sawyer did Amiga coding, but not that the first tycoon game was Amiga.

Nah that's not a Sawyer game, just something else that happens to also be called Locomotion. He has always been a PC guy, according to the biographies.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, OK, that is quite different. But he did start by porting Amiga games to the PC.

Interview here

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Making me want to pull this game (or OpenTTD) out again for another spin.

Man, if only I could get OpenTTD with Locomotion's curved tracks. :allears: [edit] Maybe one day in the future someone can piggy-back off OpenRCT2's code and use it for Locomotion somehow, since they shared the same game engine.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 9, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Played some of the next update last night, but I also tried my hand at some science! I want to know for the north american game which of the two engines is more efficient, so I tested out the difference between the 2x Special 2-4-2 setup (high top speed) and single baldwin 2-8-0s (5mph slower, accelerates faster, shorter).

What I did was load up the 1922 save, change over all the locos to one type, and record the time it took each load to get through for six months. Most of the trains carry 120t at a time, and the wells were producing 590t/ month throughout. The results are also categorized by which well they came from, since that could make a difference. Both instances had 5 trains travelling to Baton Rouge station and 8 going to Baton Rouge oilfield station.

Instance 1:
Special 2-4-2 doubleheaded (900hp, 45mph, 320t empty, 440t full)

Days taken to deliver from Baton Rouge (89 tiles)
43.41666667 Mean
521 Total days over 12 trips

Days taken to deliver from B.R. Oilfield (97 tiles)

67.30769231 Mean
875 Total days over 13 trips

Approx 3000t of Oil delivered.

Instance 2:
Single baldwin 2-8-0 (850hp, 40mph, 230t empty, 350t full).

Days taken to deliver from Baton Rouge (89 tiles)

63.9 Mean
639 Total days over 10 trips

Days taken to deliver from B.R. Oilfield (97 tiles)

38.94117647 Mean
662 Total days over 17 trips

Approx 3240t of Oil delivered.

Sooo... I guess the Baldwin wins by both the average trip speed and the total oil delivered. I'm not sure if there are any other conclusions to be drawn from the data, I haven't done any statistics for about a decade. Did I collect enough info to make a valid conclusion?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Took a look at that map in the game and wow, it feels really clausterphobic. Lots of hills/mountains everywhere.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I agree, I never really saw Dallas or Atlanta as being on top of mountains. I think it must have been exaggerated via the medium of an imported satellite dataset or something.

On the other hand, the Mississippi Delta area is set up perfectly for what I want to do there, which is why I chose it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think it's more of an issue with the game world and engine, as it can only be so big and thus you have to fit a lot of details into a much smaller area if you want to build a detailed map of a region. And the larger the region you're trying to simulate the more difficult it becomes to crush everything in there, to the point where trying to recreate accurate depictions looks ridiculous.

The game world is really not to scale so if you try to build an exact copy its going to be a mess; for instance, I think one layer of elevation in the game is ~16 feet so Atlanta's elevation of 1,000 feet above sea level would likely exceed what the engine can draw. You're also trying to fit a 4,000 kilometer wide country into a map that is not in any way to scale so you end up in a very crowded world and with no room to gradually change elevations you end up with things like cities being built on cliff sides and locations that in the real world are hours apart being located on top of each other.

In the end you either need to work with a (much) bigger map, settle for a close approximation of what America looks like or just focus in on one area and model it more accurately. If we were playing on a map that just focused on the cotton belt vs. the entire continental United States we likely wouldn't see such weird topography.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My gut feeling is that Sawyer should have treated the source data to make the lowlands flatter, except for areas with mountain ranges, which would have resulted in a flatter map with larger ranges. I think ideally I'd compress everything from the coast to the Great plains into three z levels and then have the Rockies and the Appalachians use the full range. I think that would probably be quite labour intensive, however, and I doubt he had the time for map pedantry when he was trying to get the product out the door.

I wish when I made the Auckland map that I had exaggerated the mountain ranges. On mine the lowlands are the 0, 20 and 50m contour lines, and that works well, but from there on it's 1 z-level per 100m, which doesn't make for very impressive hills. I did double the elevation of the ground South of the Waikato river, which is good because it makes you work around the terrain instead of changing it. I just should have done it to the rest of the high ground.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1985-1990: From the South of the South to the North of the North
Locomotion Soundtrack - Bright Expectations

Click here to name a vehicle!

Looking for ways to extend our railway north, this lumber camp is the logical place to go to.

The new line includes our first stretch of coastal railway.

The station at Henderson gets upgraded too.

Auckland is a busy place these days!

We throw off a little branch to grab from a nearby vineyard, Henderson is the destination for this as well, making it quite the hub!

Over at Bombay, we still have an oversupply of trucks, so I shift some more to service the other side of town. In the meantime, Bombay has urbanized so much that the grain depot there has started accepting food - this is good because I can change some grain trucks over to general food trucks and set them to haul from the Tuakau food plant up to Bombay Juntion. Soon we have a route that hauls both ways and the queues are no more :unsmith:

On the other side of town, lost trucks are still a problem, so I put another bridge across the Waikato to help them find their way back. We have 51 trucks now vs 29 Trains. I never expected that trucks would outnumber trains.

Another upgrade cycle (this one only minor, for once not everything is worn out!) and five years have passed! I don't know why, but the later the date, the longer it seems to take to do things.

And now it's time for the News!

Not much in the way of news, both of these are improvements rather than worldbeaters.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 12, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish you could just delete your opponent. Those bridges are monsters

Definitely getting the itch again. Maybe I'll poke around and try to find a nice map to build on. Alternatively maybe I'll try out those city growth mode scripts for OTTD. Though I also got Cities in Motion 2 in a bundle or something a while back. I know it is focused completely on PAX, but I wonder how it compares to Sawyer's transport games.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Eggburt has actually been tearing up a few old railroads lately. I noticed when I started to see the ground in the central sector!

I used to load the England/Switzerland scenarios in the editor and remove the AIs and play those. I think they're pretty good to play on, England is an easy passenger focused map and Switzerland you can build a base on the lowlands and then try some mountain railroads.

Just hit 2000t/month briefly on the North America Scenario! That's pretty good going considering it's using the 1910 locomotives. When I finally get the Pacifics that should guarantee a permanent boost to the 2000t level.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Whenever I try to make big /complicated rail networks my trains sometimes/always only use one single platform of a multi platform station or go to the wrong station altogether. What mistake am I making and how do I fix it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

I used to load the England/Switzerland scenarios in the editor and remove the AIs and play those. I think they're pretty good to play on, England is an easy passenger focused map and Switzerland you can build a base on the lowlands and then try some mountain railroads.

Both those maps seem really clausterphobic as well (the UK one feels way too small especially). Maybe I'm just too used to playing relatively flat OTTD maps.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

tomanton posted:

Whenever I try to make big /complicated rail networks my trains sometimes/always only use one single platform of a multi platform station or go to the wrong station altogether. What mistake am I making and how do I fix it?

Where you put the signals matters a lot. And you kind of need to be using one way signals.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Both those maps seem really clausterphobic as well (the UK one feels way too small especially). Maybe I'm just too used to playing relatively flat OTTD maps.

You could have a look at the scenarios here, although I haven't been convinced on the quality of them. Maybe this one would suit?

tomanton posted:

Could you post some screenshots of the problem stations and their surroundings?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

You could have a look at the scenarios here, although I haven't been convinced on the quality of them. Maybe this one would suit?

Yeah, I've poked through there in the past, and hey, that one looks kinda interesting. Plenty of space to make pretty railroads, but still some terrain to keep it interesting.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's the only scenario repository that I know of, so if you can't find something you'll be stuck making your own:geno:

Here's an old one of mine that has hilly terrain, but deliberately has a low density of towns. It amuses me that since 2011, it's only gone back to page five ...it's not a high traffic forum.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jaguars! posted:

Everything is more exciting with the Main Theme!

While this is also a fun piece of music, Locomotion does have one hell of a rockin' main theme and it may just be my favourite thing about the game.

Even more so than the British steam locos :v:.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

North America 2:1922-1941

Click here to name a vehicle!

So, last time I showed how well a well run railroad could haul a great deal using start of game technology. This time we're going to see if we can use that groundwork to turn it up a notch.

For once, I'm going to have a secondary secondary goods distribution network that isn't a withered afterthought. None of these towns are big enough for goods, food or mail yet, but I've set up a bunch of lines that take passengers between Montgomery and the other towns of the Southeast to encourage them to grow.

drat annoying! One of our backup wells closes.

Another immediately starts nearby.

Oops! It happens in the 1920s.

We have plenty of transport capacity now. The trains to dallas get reassigned to go to Oaklahoma city oil wells instead.

The problem is all the trains are starting to crowd out at Montgomery. The Oaklahoma route is diverted to go to a Refinery near Amarillo.

In the middle of building the new route, production goes up! We aren't ready for it.

Production rapidly outpaces transport and ratings suffer.

At least we are hauling a lot.

Near Miss! Was adding a new loop to the secondary network.

Finished safely, Columbus is the first town to recieve goods deliveries.

The station at Amarillo fills a quiet valley.

It's bigger on the inside!

Bad ratings finally lead to a production drop after two years.

The Amarillo line is finally ready, now the Oaklahoma trains won't hold up the Montgomery trains. We can also put an extra platform at Baton Rouge Oilfield and get a second stream of trains running to Amarillo. One art that doesn't show up well on a SSLP is altering a running railroad without disrupting traffic. Here the line was set up so all it took to switch the Oaklahoma trains from the old route to new was changing the curve at the bottom from right to left. The rest could be worked on at leisure.

With production down, we shorten a lot of our trains.

:ohdear: Sometimes my attempts to avoid traffic disruption cause a lot of it. In this case, shifting a signal to allow a more efficient junction caused two trains to enter the junction at once.

Further production fall - didn't go far enough in downsizing trains.

The passenger lines are causing a lot of new tenement buildings to be built.

I applied the results on my Baldwin vs. Double-Special experiment and replaced all the short range trains with Baldwins. I also did a trial with Triple headers but they were too long to be practical. When this happens, I have to start doubleheading the Baldwins.

By the time I've converted the fleet, productivity is up and the wells jump back up to the 2000t level. The Pacific comes available too, but starting Reliability is only 63%, so I only replace a small trickle of Locomotives prior to 1937.

And another surprise, the Oaklahoma well doubles! It only has one station, so it jumped of it's own accord. With only one station, we can't prevent it from going back down sooner or later.

Back to overflow problems. Luckily, with a barely used line to Amarillo available, we can soak up a lot more this time.

Sure enough, the boom at Oaklahoma ends after a few months.

We still need somewhere else to sink more of this Oil, especially at the second Baton Rouge station, which has a dangerously low rating.

Peoria is the next refinery to be used. This station complex is entirely underground.

I don't know what that dish lookin' thing on the roof is but it shure makes us look important!

The Pacifcs are a huge improvement, much better power to weight and a 50mph top speed. They especially improve over the double Special combos still in use out on the Amarillo line.

ONe of the passenger trains breaks a record with the new engine!

Dulce et decorum pro vapor machinam mori [Please forgive my nonexistent latin grammar]

Continuous service makes for some weird detours. Here I'm trying to get a fourth platform at Baton Rouge which means that all the branches have to slide over one.

Since the Montgomery trains keep up a frequent service already, we can focus the Peoria line on maxing out the trains. A max lenghth platform is fifteen tiles long and can fit a Pacific and 17 oil cars.

One of those little details that I love - These trains weigh 520 tons loaded and they skid a lot when starting out!

The new route out towards Peoria is awkward too. It takes a brave driver to open up the throttle on 'The plughole'!

Meanwhile, our monomania has caused a depression in the other industries. Most are not replaced.

Montgomery has taken off to become the capital of the south.

We are just keeping ratings high enough to maintain the 2000t level.

I've inadvertently made the South rise again :bahgawd: NY has a loltastic population of 270.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 21, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So since this map is an attempt at being to scale, how many miles are one map square?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apparently Baton Rouge to Montreal is about 2260km, and about 360 tiles apart (Total map is 384x384), so about 6km˛ or 4mi˛.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Alright, some problem signals encountered in recent games that weren't obvious to me why they didn't work. All of these take place in various 100-year challenge hellscapes.

Sometimes when I have platform entries divided up on a curve the trains insist on using either only 2 or 1 platform, this is a case of the latter.

The hillside-climbing track presently goes to nowhere, but the moment I placed signals, trains that had otherwise operated normally ignored their usual route to flood into the dead end.

I seemed to have success with the three-forked station entry, so when the Baldwins rolled around I figured a four-pronged expansion would work the same way. It didn't!

Also that Montgomery is huge, is there some way to grow towns besides passengers/food/goods?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tomanton posted:

Alright, some problem signals encountered in recent games that weren't obvious to me why they didn't work. All of these take place in various 100-year challenge hellscapes.

Sometimes when I have platform entries divided up on a curve the trains insist on using either only 2 or 1 platform, this is a case of the latter.

Hmmm. Usually when I use that 'comb' type of entry I try and have a straight run in. I think it is probably something to do with the tight 180° that they have to do immediately before the station. When the train arrives at the junction, it must have to pathfind from the entry signal to the station, and I think the funny angle of the path relative to the direction of the train breaks it. I'm not sure which one you are referring to as platform one, but trains may also avoid the one with the extremely tight curve as two small curves in a row slows them down.

tomanton posted:

The hillside-climbing track presently goes to nowhere, but the moment I placed signals, trains that had otherwise operated normally ignored their usual route to flood into the dead end.

Pathfinding issue. When I started the LP, I realized that Locomotion uses a fairly simple pathfinding process. In short, it draws a straight line from the train to the station or waypoint and tries to take the most direct route. When it encounters a decision point, it often takes the direction that points toward the destination, even if that's not the correct route. In the Auckland game, the Railway is in the form of a giant U, and trains tasked to go from one end to the other would go down the wrong branches a lot instead of travelling to the bottom part of the U and then up again. I solved it by guiding them through junctions using a waypoint just outside the entrance and exit. They still mess up a lot when traffic jams make them try an alternate route and they get out of sync with the waypoints.
[Edit: If it only happened when you added signals, perhaps the trains only look a few blocks ahead and fail to detect the dead end. Just a theory.]

Here's a problem one that shows how they work. At first I put the waypoints before and after the signals for the right hand fork, where the yellow and red stars are. The trains kept going straight ahead because they thought it was the more direct route to the station. The solution was to emphasize that the trains should turn right by putting the waypoint a little further out, where the blue star is. Janky, huh? Waypoints seem to work best track tiles without signals or level crossings, and I try and put them on straight track when possible.

tomanton posted:

I seemed to have success with the three-forked station entry, so when the Baldwins rolled around I figured a four-pronged expansion would work the same way. It didn't!
I think just evening out the forks a little would help, trains seem to have a even distribution mode if they are entering a big station where the choices are fairly similar. Try changing the bottom platform from chicanes to a diagonal and bring the chicane to the second from bottom back toward the entrance to the junction.

tomanton posted:

Also that Montgomery is huge, is there some way to grow towns besides passengers/food/goods?

I'm not sure, the growth triggers are quite subtle and It's tempting to give a bunch of reasons that probably have a lot of confirmation bias. I think servicing the local industries has an positive effect. Oil has been going to the refinery all game, and I added a tram sometime between 1910 and 1922 to keep passenger ratings high at the big station. In the mid 1920s we started bringing in a lot of passengers from the surrounding towns; at that stage the population had risen steadily to about 1000. The growth spurt started in 1929, and the major event at the time was that oil went up to 2000t/month and we were able to ship most of it efficiently. We also started picking up goods (and mail) from the refinery in 1927, so that's another station rating that went from bad to good.

Meanwhile, all the east coast towns where I chucked low effort trams in early on in the game have stayed stagnant. The stations have good ratings, but they don't carry many passengers.

I do think that some towns are just randomly selected to become metropolises. Pictured: Mangatawhiri, In-game population 25636. We never did anything here except pick up from a nearby coalmine.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 21, 2016

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks for making this thread Jaguars!, it's managed to convince me to pick up Locomotion on steam - it was a few quid so I could hardly say no. I puttered around in TTD and the Railroad Tycoon games as a kid, mostly loving things up and not really knowing what I was doing other than "MAKE TRACKS BUY EXPENSIVE TRAIN, wait - why am I bankrupt?" So yeah, thanks for the entertainment.

Having played about a bit, and reading the thread and various other forums and whatnot, I have one question for you:

How the buggeration do signals work? I cannot make them direct trains in the way I want, despite much fiddling about and profanity. I've looked at the stuff you've posted about routing and so on. It's like a ruddy alien language; I can see that there's logic and a pattern behind it, but can I arseburgers work out what it is.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Grabpot Thundergust posted:

How the buggeration do signals work? I cannot make them direct trains in the way I want, despite much fiddling about and profanity. I've looked at the stuff you've posted about routing and so on. It's like a ruddy alien language; I can see that there's logic and a pattern behind it, but can I arseburgers work out what it is.

Here's a fairly basic guide to signals in Locomotion. Generally, in Locomotion and Transport Tycoon, you want to build routes in loop, with one way signals all along it. Or you build a two track "main line" with one track going north (or east) and the other track going south (or west). Again, one way signals on each track. You basically end up with a train highway.

Then, you mostly just have to pay attention to which way the signals are going when building off that main line. It can be easy to make mistakes early on. The OpenTTD wiki has some more about signals and junctions, but it doesn't quite line up 1:1 with Locomotion because I think there's only 2 way and 1 way signals in Locomotion (I could be wrong...)

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

thedaian posted:

Here's a fairly basic guide to signals in Locomotion. Generally, in Locomotion and Transport Tycoon, you want to build routes in loop, with one way signals all along it. Or you build a two track "main line" with one track going north (or east) and the other track going south (or west). Again, one way signals on each track. You basically end up with a train highway.

Then, you mostly just have to pay attention to which way the signals are going when building off that main line. It can be easy to make mistakes early on. The OpenTTD wiki has some more about signals and junctions, but it doesn't quite line up 1:1 with Locomotion because I think there's only 2 way and 1 way signals in Locomotion (I could be wrong...)

Thanks for that. Really bloody useful. Hopefully i can now build a rail network, not a clusterfuck of lost trains.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thedaian is right, Locomotion doesn't use the block signals and path signals mentioned in the OTTD wiki.

It amuses me that people have been buying the game because of my LP, despite the flaws I do really like it. It strikes a good balance between simulation and game, and because it's all about construction not destruction.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I also found my original CD with it today and got it installed and patched up. Works okay, but not perfectly, on Windows 10.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks for the help, the whole shortest-path thing definitely will factor into how I build stations. Here's a station solved with waypoints and what it took to make trains take the bait:

Trains do seem to path much more precisely in 'approaching' mode (which I guess is why my Washington DC stations had only the platform problems) but out in the wild they can be pretty bad.

I also bought Locomotion because of this LP, which also turned me into a lean mean train-sorting machine. Just three Expert challenges to go and hopefully I can be done just shy of sinking 100 hours into this game.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tomanton posted:

Thanks for the help, the whole shortest-path thing definitely will factor into how I build stations. Here's a station solved with waypoints and what it took to make trains take the bait:

Trains do seem to path much more precisely in 'approaching' mode (which I guess is why my Washington DC stations had only the platform problems) but out in the wild they can be pretty bad.

I also bought Locomotion because of this LP, which also turned me into a lean mean train-sorting machine. Just three Expert challenges to go and hopefully I can be done just shy of sinking 100 hours into this game.

I was this close to completing all the scenarios when my old Laptop died :ssj:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jaguars! posted:

It amuses me that people have been buying the game because of my LP, despite the flaws I do really like it. It strikes a good balance between simulation and game, and because it's all about construction not destruction.
I quite like Locomotion. The construction system is fun, and despite its flaws it still fills that satisfaction of setting up intricate routes and watching the little trains go by. :allears:

OpenTTD might be fan-content heaven but it's forever stuck in its 90s engine.

nielsm posted:

I also found my original CD with it today and got it installed and patched up. Works okay, but not perfectly, on Windows 10.
The windowed patch does wonders.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

The windowed patch does wonders.

Dxwnd or something else? I get some very odd effects with Dxwnd (like this) that makes it not very functional.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

nielsm posted:

Dxwnd or something else? I get some very odd effects with Dxwnd (like this) that makes it not very functional.
I used the rct2-ddhack2.zip here: https://github.com/ToadKing/ddhack/downloads
It looks funny first time you change resolutions but otherwise seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

I used the rct2-ddhack2.zip here: https://github.com/ToadKing/ddhack/downloads
It looks funny first time you change resolutions but otherwise seems fine.

Thanks, definitely works better than Dxwnd.

Unfortunately I don't think I can enjoy playing Locomotion really, not having proper path signals kills me. Train Fever does that right, but the industrial chain is weird... maybe I'll give it another shot though. Someone said it had been improved in one of the patches.

• Locked thread