Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's still early then!

The beginner map is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh neat, I totally forgot they threw this up on Gog. Can you run this game in a windowed mode? I love being able to run these games in the background when trawling the net.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know it has had well over a decade of work put into it and has an extensive modding community, but you'd think something by now would give OpenTTD a run for its money.
Jagged Alliance 2 has the same issue. It's not that other games are necessarily good, it's that games like JA2v1.13, OpenTTD and eventually OpenRCT (CorsixTH/Theme Hospital seems to have avoided this?) have had years upon years of little additions and tweaks and god forbid if a new game that's came out doesn't have the features of a custom-tweaked 10+ year old game. Cities Skylines managed to catch lightning in a bottle.
You look at most reviews for Locomotion these days and 80% of the time it's "Well it's not OpenTTD :rolleyes:"

Poil posted:

There's just something about Trainfever that makes it not particularly fun, I was a bit disappointed with it.

Paul.Power posted:

Train Fever stuff
For a train game, building trains is super fiddly. You need a ton more room than you'd think for a lot of stuff, terraforming constantly leaves little bumps and dips everywhere plus the game just loves to loving GOUGE into the land, the cargo chain is just weeny. Someone mentioned that when close enough, the game will just lug resources (Coal to a Steel Mill, or Goods to an Industrial area) to a place by foot (cutting you out of transporting them) which isn't too bad really, but when they will carry Goods from the Steel Mill back across town towards the Coal mine and drop them off there instead of just at the drat Steel Mill depot :psyduck:. The engine itself chugs at times and had really bad issues when it was released.
But I find it makes a really nice playset. When you first start in the 1800's you're the only thing moving stuff around, as time progresses you start to see more and more cars filling the streets and driving between towns. You can click on any person in the streets and see where they Live/Work/Relax/Shop. I like seeing that trucks aren't loving useless for once (Without having to resort to mods). You want to plonk down trains for the actual long distance stuff but otherwise there's not too much problem trucking stuff a town or two over.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Croccers posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 has the same issue. It's not that other games are necessarily good, it's that games like JA2v1.13, OpenTTD and eventually OpenRCT (CorsixTH/Theme Hospital seems to have avoided this?) have had years upon years of little additions and tweaks and god forbid if a new game that's came out doesn't have the features of a custom-tweaked 10+ year old game. Cities Skylines managed to catch lightning in a bottle.
You look at most reviews for Locomotion these days and 80% of the time it's "Well it's not OpenTTD :rolleyes:"

JA's big issue is that the people who try replicating it forget that the thing that really made it stand out was the writing and personality of it. Mechanics can be done for a tactical RPG in many ways but it's the blandness that really fucks them over.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Croccers posted:

Oh neat, I totally forgot they threw this up on Gog. Can you run this game in a windowed mode? I love being able to run these games in the background when trawling the net.

Yes and no. It runs fullscreen only by default. However, since it runs on the same engine as Roller Coast Tycoon 2, there is windowed hack for RCT2 that works for Locomotion as well. I've had no issues with it so far.

As for OpenTTD vs Locomotion, it was probably a better comparison back in 2004 when Locomotion first released. That said Locomotion has a few nice bits I'm appreciating that OpenTTD doesn't, namely the different options for track feel more "natural" than the 45/90 degree angles only of OpenTTD. It also lets me close the last window I've opened using backspace, which is a hotkey I've never found in OpenTTD (though I probably just missed it).

I might apply this "model train table" approach/idea to OpenTTD with some of the eyecandy grfs and see if I can make true :spergin:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 9, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oooh that's the other transport thing game. Simutrans. That one is free.

Triple A posted:

JA's big issue is that the people who try replicating it forget that the thing that really made it stand out was the writing and personality of it. Mechanics can be done for a tactical RPG in many ways but it's the blandness that really fucks them over.
And the heavy Eurpoean-ness of the games too (Germany and Denmark I believe).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think Locomotion works a lot better for the whole "Model Train Table" concept. I dunno, this doesn't seem as nice.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1905-1910: McDUCK III: First Blood
Locomotion Soundtrack - Easy Winners
The final 'Starting Era' song.

Click here to name a vehicle!

The first order of business after the holidays is the shared trunk of the mainline. Double-tracking work begins immediately.

New junctions are fitted.

Meanwhile, rumors fly about a competing transport company, but nothing concrete is spotted.

The double tracks have a designated up and down line.

Construction completed!

Construction is then followed by a six months of checking the services and reworking train orders. You can see waypoints in the screen with the train orders. The Chowick express carries it's first paying passemgers since goodness knows when. Ratings at Howick were so bad it was empty most of the time. For some reason, it was completely failing to register waypoints and stops that it passed, shich is a bug I've never seen before. A complete redo of it's orders fixes things.

The line upgrade is a success and as soon as it's finished, all misrouting problems stop.

Another farm in the worst terrain on the map! The lives of these lunatics will one day be immortalized in the film The Piano.

Trams are installed on the prosperous farming supply town of Pukekohe.

Off they go. I couldn't do the accent on tramptåg with an alt code or copy and paste. I don't know if there's any other input methods that the game will allow.

Plenty of people want to emulate McDuck's success, but still no competitors have turned sod.

With things running smoothly, the maritime department eyes up the islands of the Hauraki gulf. A service is inaugurated between Devonport and the town of Oneroa, on Waiheke island.

After a couple of tries, an offering to the deep ones gets a correctly spelled name.

Boats need a highly controlled course to avoid cruising along every indent in the coastline. The also don't sail in diagonals! Frustrating.

To avoid boats going back and forth without passengers aboard, they are ordered to wait for a full load at Oneroa. This does mean that the passengers are delivered slowly, and boats may queue up at the docks.

Now here's a feature that I absolutely love! If you have multiple vehicles on one route, you can click on the line at the end of the route manifest to copy it over to your current vehicle. I believe this was new in Locomotion.

After dinner every night, McDuck goes out to his shed and wades around, ankle deep in ha'pennys. If he wants to swim, he still has to go to one of the region's many fine beaches or rivers.

While the sailors sort out the workings of the boat line, Scrooge turns his attentions to the town of Hunua. Nestled in a valley towards the East side of the map, It was the smallest town at game start, although it has grown considerably in the six years since. The current smallest town is Clark's Beach, with a population of 89.

Scrooge will double track the line further South,

start a branch somewhere between Manukau and Papakura to use the valley floor out near Ardmore,

and follow the stream gullies up into the valley between the Drury Hills and the Hunua Ranges.

Work begins with only the occasional speedbump.

But this has never happened before!

Seems that the Papatoetoe town councillors don't think much of our services.

We are forced into a constriction.

News arrives that the Island line is working well.

At least the next town along the way is OK with us.

It proves impossible to double track through Manukau city without demolishing houses, filling in the harbour, small radius curves or excessive flattening of the ridges, so it is left as single track. At least the track is straightened out.

The Hunua line will branch off here.

Progress along the valley floor at Ardmore is quick.

And McDuck is able to negotiate the rise up into the Hunua valley with ease.

At the other end, provision must be made for Auckland station to take multiple trains at once. It's immediately apparent that further work will be necessary.

Meawhile, at the other end of the line.

The single track near Manukau works, but it can result in long waits if there's traffic.

The Hunua Line train.

With the line running, it's time to improve the newly named Auckland station. Apologies, no old swedish style øs are available at this time.

Another one of those curious anomalies, in real life there is a tunnel in pretty much the exact same place.

Just a fluctuation as an old office building is replaced, but get used to seeing this type of notice, there'll be more of them as we get more stations.

Next target is a wheat farm conveniently close to the Tuakau Food Processing Plant. The South is becoming a bastion of our operations.

A mighty road network using the latest in roading technology is constructed.

Ready to go.

Oh, what a lovely day. Chrome shines outside the goods depot at Tuakau.

The Copy orders command is a godsend here.

"Righto, Trev, Kick 'er in the Guts!"

Tryhard Deliveries tries harder!

Instantly there is a backlog.

Straight away we have to expand the stations, the trucks are queuing up. The loading station is expanded without incident, except that one of our trucks nicely demonstrates it's manoeuvreability.

But when it comes to the other end, the road crews get lazy with their warning signs...

:ohdear:

The union is not going to be pleased. Those involved in the clashes between the McDuck and the Union in the next few months will forever know this bit of highway as 'The Fury Road'.

:mediocre:

Normal service resumes.

It's piling up on us!

This is 1909 and we refuse to countenance such blue language, sir. :colbert:

Reinforcements are called in!

"You've increased our transport capacity one hundred-fold, but we wanted two hundred-fold.":colbert:

Service is occasionally interupted. Sometimes when the drivers get tired of waiting, they go hunting for a way around, but are forced to turn around when they hit a corner.

McDuck's is sucking up every trained driver in the region.

And are starting to flood the road.

So Scrooge raises the capacity of the problem station.

It's 1910! Time for a smoko break.

Damnit! I really didn't want to demonstrate that mechanic until later. So far the only time I had to stop a vehicle during works was when I changed the layout of Auckland central, but obviously I'm going to have to be a lot more careful. Strange coincidence, I was doing that last bit about the time that Galaga crashed his trains.

I'm not sure what causes an opponent to make a start. They often lie idle for a while. I did a test load where I put it on fast forward and they started about 1907, so maybe they only start after when the player isn't actively building or something. I was also hoping rename the competitor after one of our other transport companies and name some of the new industries for the others, but you can't do that! Apparently I've spent too long in the scenario editor. Speaking of which, has anyone managed a successful download of the LP scenario yet?

Stats update tomorrow, hopefully.

Time to think about the grand strategy of our line. If we want to swim in our money, then we need to transport all the goods and passengers, and at the moment I favour a twin track S shape that wiggles through the isthmus, with branches off to all the cargo sources.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those trucks look like a mess. Can't the game handle them? :psyduck:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Did not realise the trucks drove off the end of one way streets like that.

And maybe I was thinking of 2nd or 3rd generation trucks, because those guys seem a little grained in.

Why no flowthrough station? Is it slower in the end or? Or is that only an OpenTTD thing

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Auckland station just has no room for a RoRo.

Also I downloaded the scenario and that one mod set (you weren't kidding about all those SD70 variants, dozens of liveries :psyduck:). I'll probably give it a go soon, though tbh I might edit the scenario to remove the AI competition. Mostly because judging by screenshots they will sully my pretty train set with horrific bridging everywhere.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So glad to see my little Tryhards delivering all they can hold, and occassionally crashing into nothing. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a quick question because I haven't messed with a very complex network in Loco yet. Can Loco do cargo transfers? That is I ship freight via rail to a central railway near several industries then use trucks to move it to the industries themselves (or vice versa)?

[edit] Yes, yes you can. Though a quick test on Boulder Breakers shows this would be hilariously inefficient with those starting Model T style trucks. I hope there are some smaller industrial locomotives suitable for short lines.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Poil posted:

Those trucks look like a mess. Can't the game handle them? :psyduck:
There's already 15 trucks operating, so things get a little crowded when they have to wait at the train crossing. Some of it is a consequence of the station being so close to the rail crossing as well. Overall, they're operating fine most of the time.

Veloxyll posted:

Did not realise the trucks drove off the end of one way streets like that.

And maybe I was thinking of 2nd or 3rd generation trucks, because those guys seem a little grained in.

Why no flowthrough station? Is it slower in the end or? Or is that only an OpenTTD thing
The accident was caused by me removing the road without stopping traffic. I thought I'd given the truck enough room to slow down. I ad to change that tile to two way road for the modifications.

Never thought of doing a through station for the roads! Our railways are all single train lines at the moment except for Auckland Central, which is too crowded. Expect to see them when we have most of the industries hooked up.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Auckland station just has no room for a RoRo.

Also I downloaded the scenario and that one mod set (you weren't kidding about all those SD70 variants, dozens of liveries :psyduck:). I'll probably give it a go soon, though tbh I might edit the scenario to remove the AI competition. Mostly because judging by screenshots they will sully my pretty train set with horrific bridging everywhere.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So glad to see my little Tryhards delivering all they can hold, and occassionally crashing into nothing. :allears:

It would have just been so much effort to stop all those trucks to a stop. One thing that'll be fun is when the next generation of trucks come allog and suddenly that route will massively increase it's capacity.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got a quick question because I haven't messed with a very complex network in Loco yet. Can Loco do cargo transfers? That is I ship freight via rail to a central railway near several industries then use trucks to move it to the industries themselves (or vice versa)?

Hmmm... ...I don't know myself! Time for an experiment!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

Hmmm... ...I don't know myself! Time for an experiment!

I used Boulder Breakers to run a quick experiment. You can just tell your vehicle to unload at a station even if that station doesn't accept the freight in question. The items will show up in that station's cargo waiting queue as "80 tons of Iron Ore (en-route from XYZ)" for example. Another vehicle can then arrive at that station and load it up and take it further towards its destination.

You could potentially use this to set up a network where several industries (Say all those spread out farms) ship their goods to a central station via trucks (or a secondary rail system) where a train collects them for long-distance transit. You could even do it for multiple industries and run a mixed-cargo freight train. Of course, time issues might make this impractical/prohibitive. I might play around with this when I take a crack at the scenario, but those 1900 trucks seem impractical for the job.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 11, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

:ohdear:

The union is not going to be pleased. Those involved in the clashes between the McDuck and the Union in the next few months will forever know this bit of highway as 'The Fury Road'.

:stare:

Every time! Can that car not go one movie/game/comic without getting totaled?

Truly, preapocalyptic New Zealand is a cruel place.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've never really done this type of network before, running a single large network is already complex enough. I set up a custom scenario with a bunch of iron/coal/steel industries in complementary positions, since iron ore and coal can both be transported in open wagons. (Plus a bunch of easy single train runs because I have to support a bunch of experimental trains.)

A detail of the collector station, where the coal and iron ore is taken to before being collected and taken to the steel mill

The first test, with two trains going to different coal mines and one collecting at Swinebourne works fine. Just like Galaga, the mine trains are ordered to run between the two stations and unload at Swinebourne. The collector simply has orders to run between Swinebourne and the steel mill. The cargo is paid when the collector arrives at the steel mill. The collector gets the 'credit' for the run, the supplier trains do not record any profit.

Adding in an iron ore train produces funny results on the second trip, as the supplier trains start collecting the cargo at Swinebourne and taking it back to the mines (which don't accept it, so it's deadweight)

For example, this train should be carrying coal. The solution to this problem is to add an extra unload order for the unwanted, so this coal supplier should have an "unload all iron ore" order for the Swinebourne station.

Under normal orders, the collector will pick up both types of goods. Adding a "Wait for full load of X cargo" order means that the train will only take that cargo type.

In the hopes of getting the train to take a mixed, full load, I tried putting a "fill with iron" order after a "fill with coal" one. But this results in weirdness where the train arrives, takes all of one type at random (Probably the one that's been waiting the longest or has the worst rating, I think) and then waits for a full load of that type.

And then there's the primary weirdness. Any cargo taken by the collector instantly counts as having been in transit for 255 days :psyduck: Steam trains tend to take about 20 days to travel 100 squares. Your profit tanks, it's still in the black, but it's way lower than what a single leg delivery would get. I tried all sorts of variations like refreshing the orders or buying a brand new train, but this did not change.

Collector stations do allow a you to run very long trains.

Top two are collector trains, vs a single leg journey by another Iron route.

Summary of findings. Sorry if any of this is wrong, It's getting really late again, so I'll have to check it all tomorrow.
  • Just like everything else in this game, it almost works?
  • Collecting a bunch of one type of good and unloading it at a mid point is easy.
  • If your vehicle carries more than one type of cargo, be careful that they aren't carrying goods pointlessly back to your supply source. This is most possible with Iron/Coal and Lumber/Paper, and Oil/Chemicals, and a bunch of cargoes that are transported in a boxcars.
  • An unload order also counts as 'Do not load this goods type at this station'
  • The game appears to summarise lump all of one type of cargo as being from one station. It also probably uses to oldest delivery or some amalgam of goods waiting*station rating to avoid tracking every piece of cargo.
  • A full load order means the vehicle will only take the goods type specified. This could be important for Aeroplanes or ships, which will probably only take one type at a time.
  • Because of the 255 day thing, collectors aren't good moneymakers over short routes, but since the time part of the equation is null, they could be cost efficient over very long routes.

NewMars posted:

:stare:

Every time! Can that car not go one movie/game/comic without getting totaled?

Truly, preapocalyptic New Zealand is a cruel place.
The firstborn often lives fast and dies young, just ask a test pilot.

And yes, it is a barren wasteland punctuated only by lush native forest and the friendly call of the Tui-bird and the screams of the rodent victims of the Morepork. :cedric:

No financial report today, because of the experiment.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So it just lumps all the cargo of a single type together, then? That is too bad. As your experiment showed, that reduces how viable the method is by a great deal. For the Auckland scenario I guess it would only potentially be viable for shipping things clear across the map, but at that point the super long freight trains you'd use (while realistic!) would probably cause congestion trouble in the network, unless it had its own dedicated line.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
That's some unfortunate design. Big depots are not just the most efficient way to run large networks in OTTD, they're also arguably the most fun to design and observe. When done right, you can have a steady stream of trains coming and going, and it's basically a license to print money as long as you can keep the feeder ratings high.

OTTD tracks separate quantities so your station inventory will say, for example, "6 tons of coal from Mine Y, 20 tons of coal from Mine Z," and so on. The oldest stuff gets picked up first automatically. You can also set trains to "Transfer Cargo w/o Loading" and they'll drop their cargo at a station that normally wouldn't accept the cargo. The credit is counted towards your eventual delivery of the cargo to its final destination.

Oh, one other thing, as far as I know, the thing about assigning orders is not new to Locomotion. There's several different shortcuts in Transport Tycoon. Does Locomotion have order sharing? What I mean is, placing a group of vehicles under shared orders, so that changing one vehicle's orders changes the whole group's.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I sometimes wonder if this game was pushed out before it was ready, because of stuff like that. I guess it's also possible that with the upgraded graphics, they needed the memory for other things. The game runs very smoothly, but when you get up past 50 trains plus what your competitors have, things definitely start slowing down. I'm interested to see how well things run in the later stages of the game, I've never run a really large scale company on my current computer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The viability of the feeder system also depends on how that payment chart works.

If the right end of the chart represents the absolute minimum payment rate, then a long distance feeder system might still be worthwhile for raw materials like Coal, Lumber, Oil, or Iron Ore. However if the payment continues to drop past that 120 day point, then it probably wouldn't really be worth doing at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, it'd be a bit weird if taking more than 120 days to deliver, for example, grain wouldn't drop the value below 50.

I just realized the best and most obvious train name wasn't on the list. But now it is. :smug:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Locomotion definitely plays better as a model train set than TTD ever did. The smooth curves and more details trains are a lot better for that than the boxyness of the TTD graphics.

Train Fever is really great for passenger lines, but transporting freight is mostly just frustrating. Having freight move naturally without trains/trucks is a good idea (Railroad Tycoon 3 did it), but once you build a station, the freight needed to prioritize your station. As it stands, you can't really transport enough freight to make long trains worth it, and the whole game kind of suffers since the only real fun becomes hooking up town.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I could never even get any freight trains to work, cargo trucks went fine though. But extremely frustrating when I ran a ton of them on one line and a dozen became old at once and oh god why is it so much work to just replace them?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Poil posted:

Dunno, it'd be a bit weird if taking more than 120 days to deliver, for example, grain wouldn't drop the value below 50.
Well, in OpenTTD there is a minimum payment value for cargos instead of eventually dropping to nothing, which is why I was wondering.

Then again, in OpenTTD that chart's "days" are actually 2.5 game days, so this poo poo is wonky. :v:

[edit] Hahaha, I'm reading the Transport Tycoon/OpenTTD/Locomotion/TrainGamesGeneral forums and some of these people are amazingly awful.

:downs: "Hey guys, I'm a newbie. Are long train with lots of cars worth it?"
:v:"Oh yeah, they're awesome [posts screenshots]"
:smug:"What are you babling about, its very obvious! *doesn't explain anything at all*"
:spergin: "Here is a useful explaination!"
:downs: "Oh thanks, that was useful."
:reject: Mod: Downs, don't post replies that add nothing to a topic!
[less than 2 months later]
:downs: "Hey guys, I'm a different newbie, how do you get those long stations in those screenshots?"
:reject: Mod: "Use the search function and don't bump old topics."
:v: "You can find the long station patch in this thread: [:reject: - Link removed, folks will have to search for themselves.]"

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 12, 2015

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, in OpenTTD there is a minimum payment value for cargos instead of eventually dropping to nothing, which is why I was wondering.

Then again, in OpenTTD that chart's "days" are actually 2.5 game days, so this poo poo is wonky. :v:

[edit] Hahaha, I'm reading the Transport Tycoon/OpenTTD/Locomotion/TrainGamesGeneral forums and some of these people are amazingly awful.

:smug:"What are you babling about, its very obvious! *doesn't explain anything at all*"
:downs: "Hey guys, I'm a different newbie, how do you get those long stations in those screenshots?"
:v: "You can find the long station patch in this thread: [:reject: - Link removed, folks will have to search for themselves.]"

That explains the recent updates.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To OpenTTD, or the thread?
Or this thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Browsing their Scenario sub-forum for Locomo and not finding much interesting stuff, mostly stuff that is based on a real life location and requires all sorts of mods which is too :effort: for me to deal with. Did find this interesting scenario where you have to move shittons of coal through a narrow, winding mountain valley.

Oh and I guess I wasn't the only one with the "treat Locomo/OTTD as a model train set" idea, this guy made a scenario map that specifically emulates a train table, complete with a large "bay" in the middle for access.

Hope I'm not getting too off-topic Jaguars, I'll shut up if so. :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 12, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Browsing their Scenario sub-forum for Locomo and not finding much interesting stuff, mostly stuff that is based on a real life location and requires all sorts of mods which is too :effort: for me to deal with. Did find this interesting scenario where you have to move shittons of coal through a narrow, winding mountain valley.

Oh and I guess I wasn't the only one with the "treat Locomo/OTTD as a model train set" idea, this guy made a scenario map that specifically emulates a train table, complete with a large "bay" in the middle for access.

Hope I'm not getting too off-topic Jaguars, I'll shut up if so. :shobon:

I wish there was more interesting mods like this.

On the other hand though, the Mad Max car names here made me come up with the idea for a wasteland mod, but it turns out that is already a thing.

Unfinished, but technically playable. Also annoyingly difficult.

Edit:This is probably a better overview, though.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 12, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Eh, we're still talking transport sims so that's hardly off topic.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I knew exactly which forum you were talking about from the start (tt-forums.net, for those of you who dont follow links.) I like it how the one scenario I posted there two years ago is still on page four. I'm glad that that the one guy liked it so much that he downloaded before installing the game. I wonder if he ever played it?

I was interested in mod making, and dabbled with a bit of 3d moddling at one stage, but the documentation was so poor that I never got near making anything.

The mods I'd like to see would be some indestructible trig beacons and trees that could be placed on top of hills to prevent the computer completely demolishing them, some tropical themed trees and buildings, and some smaller coaster type ships that would complement the vanilla ship selection, which doesn't provide any choice. Oh, and the pokey little stadiums that used to pop up in ttd in the 30s and 40s:3:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 12, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Opponent still idling in the background. Sooner or later we'll have proper competition.

Operations Department:

Overall, looking good. News from abroad is that a number of manufacturers have successful research and development programs and new technology should reach these shores in the next few years.

Trains are bringing in the majority of our profits. Our logging trains carry 100t of wood per trip at the moment. We will have to spend money next year on replacement locomotives because reliability will start to affect delivery times. Think of it as a refurbishment because we'll won't change the configuration of the trains. Steam trains are the least reliable type of vehicle, and consequently have the shortest life.

Our new Hunua service shows a monthly loss, but this is not alarming as records show it's still delivering regularly and makes enough deliveries to cover it's cost long term.

Our truck service is too new to be stable, and disruptions late last year affected the month-to-month profitability of the line. Stable conditions should improve the outlook of these services next year. A typical truck trip brings in $22, well in excess of the cost to run the truck for the month.

Our trams, with reliable passenger sources, little running cost and few breakdowns, are continuous small scale money earners, giving us good will in two major towns in the region.

Our Oneroa service needs modification. Clearly, waiting for full loads is impractical because the towns on the island do not produce enough passengers. We will consider changing to a more frequent service from a town nearer than Auckland, allowing the ships to transport small loads regularly, improving ratings and growing the towns. We also hope to strike out for the towns on Great Barrier Island (Okiwi and Tryphena) soon, with either a intra island service or a service to the mainland.

Our influence is spreading through the region.
Accounting Department

Our Income supports an expansion of our network each year. Our biggest cost is easily construction, followed by vehicle purchases.

Inflation raises our payment rates.

Company performance is based on a mixture of Cargo x Distance and Monthly Profit.

Good to see that we are now delivering something every month.

The large spikes are likely when the Henderson and Pokeno Logging trains reach their destination in close succession.

Return of value to shareholders would be good, if we had any. That'll happen over Scrooge's dead body.

Marketing Department

The region has experienced spectacular growth in the last decade. Virtually every town in the region is a viable passenger market, and with proper service, mail, food and goods deliveries will be made possible too.

We're barely scratching the surface of all the money we could be making through industry.

Most stations are reasonably efficient at clearing their cargo regulary.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

We're barely scratching the surface of all the money we could be making through industry.

I was gonna say don't be afraid to retake a loan to speed up funding a new expansion, but maybe a 30k limit doesn't make it practical. Does the limit increase to account for inflation?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yes, everything in the game is affected by inflation. I think is might also increase based on company value.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what, I was just going through my YouTube Favorites, and discovered something I had forgotten; an interesting possibility in another game with a big focus on trains.

Looking forwards to what lies in the future of McDuck Enterprises, maybe it will rekindle my childhood loveobsession with trains.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, as a cheap(?) business expansion project, you might want to consider bringing Iron Ore from the mine near Port Waikato and coal from the mines near Mercer to the steel plant near Waiuku and then ship that steel to the factory in Weymouth. This would require mostly just addition locomotives/wagons and minor expansion of rail lines.

Assuming these businesses haven't closed since the start of the game, anyways. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

You know what, I was just going through my YouTube Favorites, and discovered something I had forgotten; an interesting possibility in another game with a big focus on trains.

Looking forwards to what lies in the future of McDuck Enterprises, maybe it will rekindle my childhood loveobsession with trains.

Apart from Transport Tycoon, I've only ever played one other train game, Trainz, which was a sort of knockoff of MS train simulator that I picked up for $10 for some reason. I built a railroad, but when I tried to drive it, it was so bumpy that my train derailed. I must still have it hanging round somewhere.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens, we're just coming out of a sort of Embryonic stage at the moment.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, as a cheap(?) business expansion project, you might want to consider bringing Iron Ore from the mine near Port Waikato and coal from the mines near Mercer to the steel plant near Waiuku and then ship that steel to the factory in Weymouth. This would require mostly just addition locomotives/wagons and minor expansion of rail lines.

Assuming these businesses haven't closed since the start of the game, anyways. :v:

I just noticed that my financial report doesn't include cash on hand! We have $28,000 in the bank, and a credit limit of $44,000. In any case, the main limit is the time I have to spend building rather than the money.

Certainly we can do that, and it's a logical thing to do. The main cost will involve double-tracking more line, which was going to happen anyway. I include all industry openings and closures, it's just not much changed in the last update so I didn't bother with the industry map.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 13, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!

The graphics really are quite lovely. That's my only hangup about TT, the limitations of the graphics. It's nice for nostalgia, but having smooth curves and more interesting landscapes would go a long way towards my enjoyment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

These elevation changes and relative lack of flat valley floor are murder. And I wanted to make this a dual track system?

:suicide:

Screw this, I'm going to New Zealand.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Are tunnels and bridges against the rules? Seems like there's at least one easily brute-forced route if you make judicious use of terrain ignorance :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're not, but I was trying to avoid excessive landscaping and tunnels and follow the valley as a challenge.

• Locked thread