Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember building tracks to be horrible and wearing out my mouse left click like nobody's business. Especially trying to build two tracks alongside each other like a proper train system. In OpenTT you just click and drag but here you have to manually click each piece?

Computer opponent: Yes, we need someone to antagonize.

Company name: McDuck Enterprises
Company livery: Red and blue
Founder name: Scrooge McDuck
Founder portrait: Wodger Wamjet

Mission Statement: To amass a huge fortune in cash and swim in it.

Style/Strategy: All rail has to be connected and be at least moderately overcomplicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Yes, this is true. It uses the Rollercoaster tycoon style building controls (Sadly no tilt or vertical drops), so building long straight railroads is rather annoying.
That was a dealbreaker for me. Way too much effort and clicking for just a straight line across flat ground. The controls were great for bridges and tunnels however.

ArchWizard posted:

Speaking of which, are there still fun ways to clown on other players? My favorite in TT/TTD was building rails over roads and blocking/smashing enemy road vehicles with trains, but that was so egregiously unfair that I can see Chris Sawyer removing that at some point in the series.
My favorite thing was to build a depot at the end of a station of another player, buy the cheapest locomotive, make it go and then stop it as it did a magical 180 degree turn. It doesn't work in OpenTT but it used to be that trains went halfway outside the edge of the square at the end of the line with an appropriate hitbox detection for collisions.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One of my favorite stupid things the AI did in TT was if they decided to go with airplanes and built the airports at realistic distances from the cities. Meaning they never accepted mail and only produced the tiniest trickle of passengers. The planes were of course set to full load so after half a year or more they usually had filled all the passenger spots but mail remained at 0. The AI just took more and more loans to expand their non-profit airline until they went bankrupt.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wasn't aware that the technology for carrying goods by sea wasn't invented yet. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a pretty nice map. Looks good. :)

Jaguars! posted:

Can I build isolated routes and link them up later,
Of course not. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, right cargo. Get wood. I won't suggest any routes yet because I don't have the slightest idea on how long a route could or should be in this game.

Pierzak posted:

Got a link to the map, or have I missed it?
There's lots of links to the map on the last page. The relevant posts should probably be linked in the op. Hint. Hint.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like how the tracks follow the terrain. Sure it's not entirely realistic and not optimal but it's pretty. :3:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never really had much problems with train pathfinding in OpenTT though. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Moose Bite has a nice ring to it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's just something about Trainfever that makes it not particularly fun, I was a bit disappointed with it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those trucks look like a mess. Can't the game handle them? :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, it'd be a bit weird if taking more than 120 days to deliver, for example, grain wouldn't drop the value below 50.

I just realized the best and most obvious train name wasn't on the list. But now it is. :smug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I could never even get any freight trains to work, cargo trucks went fine though. But extremely frustrating when I ran a ton of them on one line and a dozen became old at once and oh god why is it so much work to just replace them?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wasn't Burgundy located in eastern France? What are they doing here?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have fun explaining that at a board meeting. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, it's all coming together nicely. Just as planned. This video is related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLL2Txs8kCg

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Playing OpenTT with a friend we found a neat way to solve the blocked track problem, whenever town buildings were in the way of our glorious and overcomplicated tangled spaghetti of a rail network he just left our coop company and started a new one with which he demolished away. It doesn't work very well in singleplayer however.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You're not kidding about rollercoasters. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Texas carries Livestock and Passengers! Well, those passengers who don't mind sitting in front of 100 nervous cows...
A lot better than behind. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

The Pacific sure looks like a bad deal. Slow, heavy, and less power, compared to the other engines. I forget, does the game model tractive effort/acceleration in any reasonable way? Since that would be the only way it could redeem itself.
Well, it is the only express engine that can actually go at its full speed given the passenger carriage limit. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But at least you got a goldish star. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

30% reliability should mean there is a 70% chance to crash and burn, right? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow, that is some serious levels of butthurt. :doh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I vote for something food-related (Brewery, Food Plant) on the Okiwi-Tryphena island. :getin:
This is a great idea. Let's get some cargo ships going.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sweet, get some concords up and running.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm so glad OpenTTD added an auto replacement function. That is just annoying busywork which takes away from the fun of overcomplicated railway tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

All too often advances in design and safety in all walks of life/industry are paid for in blood. :smith:
Or just caused by people who doesn't give a poo poo. :(

Quoted article is from the China Economy Thread:

quote:

China’s MA60 safety record undermines aviation dream

In June 2013, Myanma Airways Flight 309 veered off a runway in Kawthaung, Myanmar, with 60 passengers aboard and hit a wall. Myanmar’s investigation concluded the brakes and steering failed after a hydraulic-pressure drop.

Myanmar that year banned the plane, a Chinese-made Modern Ark 60 turboprop, from its airspace. Flight 309’s hulk still sits by the runway.

The day of that incident, an MA60 crash-landed in Kupang, Indonesia, injuring five. Bolivia, The Philippines and others have had MA60 accidents and grounded planes. Tonga grounded its MA60 after pressure from New Zealand, which warned its citizens not to fly in it.

China hopes soon to start exporting two new jetliners, part of its goal of securing a bigger place in global aviation and competing with giants such as Boeing and Bombardier. Looming over its plan is the turboprop that was supposed to be a stepping stone into foreign markets, the MA60, seating up to 60.

A Wall Street Journal examination of the MA60, the first Chinese-built airliner with sizeable overseas sales, found a pattern of safety problems involving landing-gear malfunctions, braking failures and steering loss, and a track record of multiple other mishaps. Some caused injuries; one killed 25.

Fewer than half the MA60s exported since 2005 appear to be still flying abroad, according to the Journal examination of accident reports and databases, airline and government statements, media accounts, and interviews with regulators and operators.

Of the 57 MA60s the manufacturer said it had exported as of January, at least 26 were put in storage after safety concerns, maintenance problems or other performance issues, the Journal calculated. Six others were deemed damaged beyond repair, or 11 per cent of the foreign MA60 fleet.

A comparable plane, the European-made ATR-72 — Myanmar and Tonga switched to it from their MA60s — has seen 3 per cent of its fleet of 835 damaged beyond repair in its 26 years in service, the Journal calculated.

Xi’an Aircraft Industry (Group) Co, the MA60’s maker, referred queries to its parent, state-owned Aviation Industry Corp of China, or AVIC, which didn’t respond to inquiries.

China has soared into markets from steel to smartphones, often selling low-cost products in poorer nations before moving up-market. Its aviation ambitions are having trouble following that path, showing the limits of China’s state-sponsored approach to a global market that presents high technological and regulatory hurdles.

The Journal examination found the regulator, the Civil Aviation Administration of China, may not have conveyed certain MA60 safety information to some importing countries despite bilateral agreements requiring it do so. The CAAC doesn’t always make domestic accident data readily available, a problem for a global industry that depends on such data to refine safety measures, and abroad has played down safety concerns around the MA60.

In a written response to the Journal, the CAAC said the MA60 has no design flaws compromising safety. Overseas accidents in recent years “weren’t directly caused by factors related to the aircraft’s design and manufacture”, it said. “These accidents have no direct relation with the aircraft’s safety.” It said it sent safety information in line with bilateral agreements.

Tevita Palu, chief executive of Tonga’s national carrier, to which China gave an MA60 as a gift, said CAAC officials told him the accidents were “only caused by pilot error”.

Inside China, the CAAC has been more vocal about MA60 problems. In 2014, it issued Chinese-language notices on its website warning about parts of the plane after domestic incidents involving landing-gear problems. A Xi’an official in 2014 told state media the landing-gear system had reliability issues.

The CAAC said it used “stern administrative measures” to oversee aviation and cites China’s record of few recent domestic air fatalities: “This is sufficient for giving the public confidence in the overall safety of Chinese civil aviation.” It didn’t respond to subsequent inquiries. China will need confidence in its regulator when it markets its new jets. Neither jet has US or European certification, so China can’t sell them in much of the developed world. It must persuade operators elsewhere its CAAC can provide oversight of the planes.

One is China’s first homemade commercial jetliner, the ARJ21, seating up to 90, slated for commercial debut this year. The other, the C919, seating up to 174, is at least two years from delivery. Both are built by state-owned Commercial Aircraft Corp of China, or Comac, of which AVIC is a major shareholder. The jets are expected to have lower price tags than Western rivals’.

The CAAC certified the smaller jet in 2014, a process the US Federal Aviation Administration observed. The FAA last year said it never intended to certify the ARJ21 as part of the process.

• Locked thread