Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!
Maybe someone can just combine OpenTTD and OpenRCT now that they're both out there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Speaking of AI, I dug out my old install of Locomotion and found this:

Can you tell it runs on the RCT engine? :v:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

The competitors don't do anything fancy, that's the problem. They just pick two industries/cities A and B and calculate the shortest path between them. Adding costs would just halt the AI, which is why they ignore them altogether.

In the original Transport Tycoon, memory was limited so the AI couldn't calculate and store the whole path in advance, so instead it just keeps trying to bring the two track points closer and closer until they connect. This led to the infamous zig-zags as they couldn't keep track of what was already done, and would make it extremely vulnerable to any changes.

In Locomotion, this was "solved" by just calculating and buying the whole path before building. This is why most routes are curvy bridges, because a straight line between two points usually comes down to a long tall bridge to avoid most obstacles (good thing nobody taught them about underground building).

Human players don't do this, they build large resuable connected networks, and try to find the most optimal cost-effective least-disruptive route. That would require a much more advanced algorithm than just straight pathfinding (if that's a problem you fancy, OpenTTD lets you write your own AIs).

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 25, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Glazius posted:

So is this a town laying out a new road grid to grow, or losing buildings to shrink, or what?
That's just the "transparent buildings" option so you can see behind them.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

It amuses me that people have been buying the game because of my LP, despite the flaws I do really like it. It strikes a good balance between simulation and game, and because it's all about construction not destruction.
I quite like Locomotion. The construction system is fun, and despite its flaws it still fills that satisfaction of setting up intricate routes and watching the little trains go by. :allears:

OpenTTD might be fan-content heaven but it's forever stuck in its 90s engine.

nielsm posted:

I also found my original CD with it today and got it installed and patched up. Works okay, but not perfectly, on Windows 10.
The windowed patch does wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

nielsm posted:

Dxwnd or something else? I get some very odd effects with Dxwnd (like this) that makes it not very functional.
I used the rct2-ddhack2.zip here: https://github.com/ToadKing/ddhack/downloads
It looks funny first time you change resolutions but otherwise seems fine.

• Locked thread