Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there no diagonals besides winding curves? Is it just N/S/E/W + Curve bits only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I just reexamined the screenshots and saw diagonal sections, I just got confused because some of the shots showed areas where here used a bunch of little curves to go in a roughly diagonal direction where just a straight diagonal would've made more sense to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a question. Does this game do the same dumb thing as OTTD where goods are worth more the further they're shipped, even if there is a closer, more ready source of supply?

Cause its really stupid that some factory will pay $$$$$ for widgets shipped clear across the map when there is a Widget Foundry a mile away from them and they'll only pay $$ for those (identical) widgets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bah, I don't know why it annoys me, its a sensible gameplay concession, but it does.

Why not just have the map generator (or premade maps) ensure that resources are adequately separated from what they need? But I guess that would require more carefully designed maps (hard to randomly generate) with fewer individual businesses to link up. Oh well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So creating a dual-track layout will fix some of that pathfinding, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kinda tempted to pick this up and play along, even if it is arguably inferior to Open TTD. I suppose at worst it'll just drive me back into OTTD, and maybe Chris Sawyer will see a few pennies off my purchase (but probably not). Setting up OTTD and finding/picking out grfs feels awfully :effort: though.

Yuckland Station

[edit] Just noticed we don't have a OTTD thread anymore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know it has had well over a decade of work put into it and has an extensive modding community, but you'd think something by now would give OpenTTD a run for its money.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I got bored and bought Locomotion on GoG and wow, does this thing not have a "generic random map" scenario besides that Sandbox Settler one? :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll have to give that a go, the scenario editor generates really ugly maps, and my inner :spergin: can't stand it, it has to be pretty.

Suppose I should look up other real world maps too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the general word of mouth and the fact you couldn't even do an double crossover or diamond crossover at launch made me leery of Train Fever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Note to Self: When completely rebuilding a section of your network, maybe take the trains involved in that area offline... :doh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For some reason I'm just treating the beginner scenario as a little HO train model trable. :allears:

Wait, what do you mean its 3am?! :gonk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Croccers posted:

Oh neat, I totally forgot they threw this up on Gog. Can you run this game in a windowed mode? I love being able to run these games in the background when trawling the net.

Yes and no. It runs fullscreen only by default. However, since it runs on the same engine as Roller Coast Tycoon 2, there is windowed hack for RCT2 that works for Locomotion as well. I've had no issues with it so far.

As for OpenTTD vs Locomotion, it was probably a better comparison back in 2004 when Locomotion first released. That said Locomotion has a few nice bits I'm appreciating that OpenTTD doesn't, namely the different options for track feel more "natural" than the 45/90 degree angles only of OpenTTD. It also lets me close the last window I've opened using backspace, which is a hotkey I've never found in OpenTTD (though I probably just missed it).

I might apply this "model train table" approach/idea to OpenTTD with some of the eyecandy grfs and see if I can make true :spergin:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 9, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think Locomotion works a lot better for the whole "Model Train Table" concept. I dunno, this doesn't seem as nice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Auckland station just has no room for a RoRo.

Also I downloaded the scenario and that one mod set (you weren't kidding about all those SD70 variants, dozens of liveries :psyduck:). I'll probably give it a go soon, though tbh I might edit the scenario to remove the AI competition. Mostly because judging by screenshots they will sully my pretty train set with horrific bridging everywhere.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a quick question because I haven't messed with a very complex network in Loco yet. Can Loco do cargo transfers? That is I ship freight via rail to a central railway near several industries then use trucks to move it to the industries themselves (or vice versa)?

[edit] Yes, yes you can. Though a quick test on Boulder Breakers shows this would be hilariously inefficient with those starting Model T style trucks. I hope there are some smaller industrial locomotives suitable for short lines.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

Hmmm... ...I don't know myself! Time for an experiment!

I used Boulder Breakers to run a quick experiment. You can just tell your vehicle to unload at a station even if that station doesn't accept the freight in question. The items will show up in that station's cargo waiting queue as "80 tons of Iron Ore (en-route from XYZ)" for example. Another vehicle can then arrive at that station and load it up and take it further towards its destination.

You could potentially use this to set up a network where several industries (Say all those spread out farms) ship their goods to a central station via trucks (or a secondary rail system) where a train collects them for long-distance transit. You could even do it for multiple industries and run a mixed-cargo freight train. Of course, time issues might make this impractical/prohibitive. I might play around with this when I take a crack at the scenario, but those 1900 trucks seem impractical for the job.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So it just lumps all the cargo of a single type together, then? That is too bad. As your experiment showed, that reduces how viable the method is by a great deal. For the Auckland scenario I guess it would only potentially be viable for shipping things clear across the map, but at that point the super long freight trains you'd use (while realistic!) would probably cause congestion trouble in the network, unless it had its own dedicated line.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The viability of the feeder system also depends on how that payment chart works.

If the right end of the chart represents the absolute minimum payment rate, then a long distance feeder system might still be worthwhile for raw materials like Coal, Lumber, Oil, or Iron Ore. However if the payment continues to drop past that 120 day point, then it probably wouldn't really be worth doing at all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Poil posted:

Dunno, it'd be a bit weird if taking more than 120 days to deliver, for example, grain wouldn't drop the value below 50.
Well, in OpenTTD there is a minimum payment value for cargos instead of eventually dropping to nothing, which is why I was wondering.

Then again, in OpenTTD that chart's "days" are actually 2.5 game days, so this poo poo is wonky. :v:

[edit] Hahaha, I'm reading the Transport Tycoon/OpenTTD/Locomotion/TrainGamesGeneral forums and some of these people are amazingly awful.

:downs: "Hey guys, I'm a newbie. Are long train with lots of cars worth it?"
:v:"Oh yeah, they're awesome [posts screenshots]"
:smug:"What are you babling about, its very obvious! *doesn't explain anything at all*"
:spergin: "Here is a useful explaination!"
:downs: "Oh thanks, that was useful."
:reject: Mod: Downs, don't post replies that add nothing to a topic!
[less than 2 months later]
:downs: "Hey guys, I'm a different newbie, how do you get those long stations in those screenshots?"
:reject: Mod: "Use the search function and don't bump old topics."
:v: "You can find the long station patch in this thread: [:reject: - Link removed, folks will have to search for themselves.]"

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Browsing their Scenario sub-forum for Locomo and not finding much interesting stuff, mostly stuff that is based on a real life location and requires all sorts of mods which is too :effort: for me to deal with. Did find this interesting scenario where you have to move shittons of coal through a narrow, winding mountain valley.

Oh and I guess I wasn't the only one with the "treat Locomo/OTTD as a model train set" idea, this guy made a scenario map that specifically emulates a train table, complete with a large "bay" in the middle for access.

Hope I'm not getting too off-topic Jaguars, I'll shut up if so. :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jaguars! posted:

We're barely scratching the surface of all the money we could be making through industry.

I was gonna say don't be afraid to retake a loan to speed up funding a new expansion, but maybe a 30k limit doesn't make it practical. Does the limit increase to account for inflation?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, as a cheap(?) business expansion project, you might want to consider bringing Iron Ore from the mine near Port Waikato and coal from the mines near Mercer to the steel plant near Waiuku and then ship that steel to the factory in Weymouth. This would require mostly just addition locomotives/wagons and minor expansion of rail lines.

Assuming these businesses haven't closed since the start of the game, anyways. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

These elevation changes and relative lack of flat valley floor are murder. And I wanted to make this a dual track system?

:suicide:

Screw this, I'm going to New Zealand.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're not, but I was trying to avoid excessive landscaping and tunnels and follow the valley as a challenge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Community Locomotion

Cocomo :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Coincidentally to our talk of Train Fever, its now 75% off on Steam for this week.

And yeah, if Locomotion is anything like OTTD, the town AI does not hesitate to bridge everything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could always change our color. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BAA Franklin

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a cool picture to share too!

Southern Pacific Locomotive #2852. A C-10 class (2-8-0) Consolidation, oil-fired steam locomotive. Over 200,000 lbs of fine American engineering and steel. :911:

I'm up in Northern California helping my grandmother at a craft sale and this beautiful beast is one of the highlights of the trip for me each year. :allears:

If the scenario features any American 2-8-0s I want one named after this. It was built in 1919 so we're close to when she was born. Not sure I can edit the document on my phone. :v:

I'll take some better pictures with my actual camera tomorrow, when I'm less needed at the craft booth.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know SP-2852 was built in Southern Pacific's (owned by the point by Union Pacific) own shops in Sacramento, CA.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I thought the AI was dumb as bricks and struggled to turn a profit?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aww my train, Louise, is still one of those funny/adorable looking shunters. :3:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Save the beer!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Damnit, now I want to play Aerobiz or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I didn't realize Concordes were banned in all but two US airports. I always thought it was just restricted to ocean crossing flights.

Man, now suddenly one of my favorite Miami Vice episodes is all wrong. It features a terrorist plot to shoot down a Concorde landing in Miami with stolen stinger missiles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Glazius posted:

I feel for those poor people who were on the first jets that just... sort of flew apart out from under them in the middle of the sky. At least they died long before they hit the ground?

All too often advances in design and safety in all walks of life/industry are paid for in blood. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Making me want to pull this game (or OpenTTD) out again for another spin.

Man, if only I could get OpenTTD with Locomotion's curved tracks. :allears: [edit] Maybe one day in the future someone can piggy-back off OpenRCT2's code and use it for Locomotion somehow, since they shared the same game engine.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Took a look at that map in the game and wow, it feels really clausterphobic. Lots of hills/mountains everywhere.

• Locked thread