Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't played Locomotion for years, pretty much not since it came out. But I remember some of the earliest mods made for it included some that changed construction costs, making bridges and raised rail something you really had to consider hard. I don't remember if those affected the AI at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But would the AI even know about bridges being much more expensive? It could be that it would just continue trying that same strategy, and then have one of two things happen. Either the AI cheats and continues to pay the original, unmodified price, or the AI does pay full price but then just takes out giant loans or cheats and keeps building while in negative cash.

The bridges cost mod might be one that was made before one guy at the TT-Forums decided that engine hacks are not permitted. Someone decided to read the game's EULA and spotted a sentence reading "reverse-engineering is not permitted", and decided that engine hacks (like TTDPatch) are out. Thing is, that kind of clause in an EULA might not actually be enforceable, and at least some countries have laws overriding it. And reverse-engineering is only needed to develop a patch, actually using a patch can be done entirely in-memory, leaving the original game binary unmodified. All in all stupid.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Which is much easier than in transport tycoon where you had to manually upgrade the rails. which lead to ~fun~ with multi-line networks.

Unmodified Transport Tycoon (both original and Deluxe) didn't actually have electric rail as a separate type. TTO had rail and monorail, with monorail only having a single locomotive type. TTD had rail, monorail, and maglev, with monorail and maglev only having a few loco types each. Under that you actually had to pull up entire lines to upgrade them, since there was no compatibility between the systems at all.

One of the later additions to TTDPatch (well, I think it was still before the full GRF modding support came) instead converted monorail to maglev (or maglev to monorail) and used the now "spare" system to handle electrified standard railway. So steam and diesel trains could run on normal and electrified rails, while electric engines only ran on electrified. They later also did a patch that let you simply "paint over" one rail type with another to upgrade it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

That's right. In the original, could you overlay the railways -> Monorail -> Maglevs? I think you might have had to demolish the rails then replace them.

Also, I checked the cost, It's about 17% more expensive to lay electrified track.

Yes, originally (without the patch) you had to demolish the original track and then build new. No direct upgrading. Obviously you also had to send all trains running on it to depot, and manually replace those afterwards. And there was no option for combining different types of track in one train station, so the only way to exchange goods between networks of different types was to have two separate stations connected by a truck or ship route.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Pacific sure looks like a bad deal. Slow, heavy, and less power, compared to the other engines. I forget, does the game model tractive effort/acceleration in any reasonable way? Since that would be the only way it could redeem itself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Wow! That's very different in style to the rest of the series. I knew Sawyer did Amiga coding, but not that the first tycoon game was Amiga.

Nah that's not a Sawyer game, just something else that happens to also be called Locomotion. He has always been a PC guy, according to the biographies.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I also found my original CD with it today and got it installed and patched up. Works okay, but not perfectly, on Windows 10.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

The windowed patch does wonders.

Dxwnd or something else? I get some very odd effects with Dxwnd (like this) that makes it not very functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

I used the rct2-ddhack2.zip here: https://github.com/ToadKing/ddhack/downloads
It looks funny first time you change resolutions but otherwise seems fine.

Thanks, definitely works better than Dxwnd.

Unfortunately I don't think I can enjoy playing Locomotion really, not having proper path signals kills me. Train Fever does that right, but the industrial chain is weird... maybe I'll give it another shot though. Someone said it had been improved in one of the patches.

• Locked thread