Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think a limited terraforming rule might keep you on your toes.

Tiles can only be raised (or lowered) 1 height. per project. I'm not expecting you to remember what you did to a tile 39 years ago

Also have you given much thought to how you'll handle the inevitable need for bi-directional rail?

I also forget, did Locomotion have waypoints or was that purely an OpenTTD thing?
Speaking of, Transport Tycoon veterans will be happy to know that trucks aren't an exercise in frustration and inefficiency in Locomotion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Is there a dropdown in the Load cargo option?
Edit: yes. If you hold down the button when you click the full load, you can choose what kind of cargo it is waiting for.
I forget bnecause I got lazy and would just add dedicated trains for each cargo type.
(This is a secretsuccessful plot to make me re-install, I know it.)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I wasn't setting the condition to be EASY :p

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Supply the Glen Eden Paper mill.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Robhol posted:

Is that why I've never been able to turn a profit in OTTD? Every now and then I try to play that game and I always go bankrupt within a year or two because the short lines I make always lose money. If you're actually supposed to start with lines that are as long as possible rather than as short as possible then that seems like really poor game design for how unintuitive it is.

It is possible to make a line too short. Plus trucks can be fickle to start with if that's what you're relying on. If you're travelling more than a screen or so though, it should be fine.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Basically, while the shared line is in use, if a train reaches the junction, it realises it can't continue on, and starts down the only available track instead of waiting at the signals. Which then means when the OTHER train arrives at the signals, it finds it cannot go on the line to the station, so hits up an alternate track.

Fixes include: having ABSOLUTELY 0 signals on the shared line

And the solo lines besides the intersection.

Or have a holding area and use one-way signals to 'trap' trains on the shared line.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's just missing something to make it properly good. Heavens knows what.

I think my first run may have been a no trains challenge, so I missed the trains not being profitable glitch. It did only have 3 industries or something when I played. So no convoluted Iron/Coal -> Steel -> Goods routes.

And no new industries show up IIRC.

I think part of the problem is that TTD scratches most of the itches fans of the genre HAVE so it's hard to build on that without just making TTD again.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This applies when re-signalling an area too...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's still early then!

The beginner map is really nice.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Did not realise the trucks drove off the end of one way streets like that.

And maybe I was thinking of 2nd or 3rd generation trucks, because those guys seem a little grained in.

Why no flowthrough station? Is it slower in the end or? Or is that only an OpenTTD thing

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To OpenTTD, or the thread?
Or this thread.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

They're not paid, they're paying for the privelege!

Most of our engines are quite modern. The 'Refurbs' that they got in the last update were actually selling the locomotive and replacing it with the same type, so our oldest loco at the moment is the passenger line to Hunua, which is about 4 years old.

Replace the old engine with the new addition immediately, the rest after One Year.

I have no strong opinions on the other options.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The password is always Swordfish.

Why are CYOAs creeping in here?

It makes it a bit more interesting to read if you know/get the feeling that your discussions can influence how to make things go terribly wrong for the player. Since most people who LP games like this have the basics of building a network etc down

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

or for passengers

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ah, Jinty - the angel of death in TTD

The cheapest engine, the best to assassinate enemy trains or block enemy roads with.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

oops. force of habit. It's been a while since it has been just flat Transport Tycoon

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I feel you should at least build some bus routes for the low approval towns, just to get that rating creeping up. Also, only 1 house stands between us and a vinyard -> winery route. Could also hook a farm up to a food processor or brewery with trucks. If only they weren't so questionably effective at this time. Though it must be getting close to the next grade of trucking.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

Manukau City is large enough to accept goods, so Scrooge creates a road route to deliver the tiny amount of goods we currently produce. The one level rule makes it tough to find a decent place for a tunnel portal.

Working as planned

That grain run is perfect, too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You forget the other trick of building a depot on the end of a competitor's station, then telling your Jinty to go and ignore signals. It would travel far enough into the next, occupied, rail to crash into the parked train. both costing the opponent a train, and tanking their transport ratings at that station.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahh, 3'6" gauge. How you caused so many problems for us getting our vehicle going.

Turns out electric motorised bogies for 3'6" are really hard to get! I can think of a few times when it'd be handy, but a lot of the time you can get around it using a well designed track.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

You have a rail jigger? Why else would you need something like that? :confused:

Tram :p Technically with a plural. Or with a plural Soon(tm)!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Not sure that'd solve the AI being so okay with building more bridges.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Spaced God posted:

There's only a few differences between the -3 and the -47. The one surefire thing I can remember off the top of my head are the tailcone being smaller for gliders to be strapped onto it.

Also the Skytrain was developed into one of the first gunships, Puff, the Magic Dragon, which had 3 miniguns and 10 30-cal machine guns. Because gently caress you, that's why

I believe you mean: "Because the DC-3/C-47 does whatever the gently caress it wants"

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Which is much easier than in transport tycoon where you had to manually upgrade the rails. which lead to ~fun~ with multi-line networks.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 5, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I guess the farm closed because it had lost too much land to Burgandy's route.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

Wow, that is some serious levels of butthurt. :doh:

It happens with the Need For Speeds etc all the time. They don't want to see their pretty models banged up.

Though seeing a blog post saying "747 crashes! Kills 300 people!" might not be great publicity. The media is kinda bad about reading the actual story.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Does the game run out of relevant names when it picks names like "Farm 3" or are those just, like, the names the map was seeded with?

Basically, it tries to name the industry after the city. So you'll get London Farm.
Or Christchurch Coal Mine 2

When an industrty is too far from a city or it can't figure out which city to put it in, it drops the city name, so you get Farm 3.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Printing work on the coast in Drere Point. Can put some more wood into the paper mill in Mangataki too

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jaguars! posted:

Very viable, thing one thing about that is that it'll put a bunch of grain trains onto the busiest section of line. Which farms should we get the grain from?

The main difficulty with this is the terrain in the area, which is hilly and forested. (Orere and Mangatangi BTW. Mangatangi, which has grown more or less independently to population 22,793, is 61 times it's IRL size :radcat:)

Ah. I couldn't quite tell based on the fonts. And looking them up on a real map never occured to me. >.>

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

quote:

Scrooge is definitely going to have to get over his phobia of embankments here because it's impossible to create canals with only single level elevation changes. (I've been playing by this rule the whole time and by god it can be a pain in the arse.)
As designed. If I'm going to impose a rule, it's going to be either hillarious or obnoxious.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Spaced God posted:

Oops! I made a mistake. Concorde also had an IAD-DFW (subsonic) route for some loving reason under Braniff up until May 1980. Despite being only scheduled in 3 airports, they made visits to Florida, including Miami in 87. Maybe they could've had a plan for that visit? :shrug:

Anyways I'm gonna stop replying to every planepost like a dumb nerd. Maybe next ~episode~ will be about the De Havilland Comet, since Jaguars! unlocked that a few updates ago and that plane both revolutionized the industry and killed a fuckton of people because squares :)

Hey now. This thread is about enjoying Foaming in all its shapes and sizes!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The high speed trains, the TGV, Bullet, etc. Might be interesting. Also the sprinters, since they're infamous apparently!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

we have a Trans-New Zealand passenger service on the land lines right. And/or a stops all stations? That's about all that spring to mind.

That depends entirely if their simulation includes the plane randomly explosively decompressing because the windows are a bunch of squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

tomanton posted:

Whenever I try to make big /complicated rail networks my trains sometimes/always only use one single platform of a multi platform station or go to the wrong station altogether. What mistake am I making and how do I fix it?

Where you put the signals matters a lot. And you kind of need to be using one way signals.

• Locked thread