Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Veloxyll posted:

I think part of the problem is that TTD scratches most of the itches fans of the genre HAVE so it's hard to build on that without just making TTD again.
I honestly wouldn't mind if they just took the original game, spruced up the graphics to be more modern and detailed then sold it all over again. It honestly feels like there's never been another game like TTD since TTD game out - Locomotion had some major failings that turned a lot of people off and Railroads was nothing like what people wanted to begin with. But this IP probably doesn't have the same appeal and money making ability like many of his other games so who knows if we'll ever see another. Another game called Transport Giant came out many years ago and was recently re-released on Steam, and then even more recently fixed properly. It's very rough around the edges and as unpolished as any other JoWood published gem but still fun for a bit, may not appeal to everyone though.

That said, Train Fever is still a game I enjoyed a lot when it came out and the devs did spend time fixing things up to make it even better. It still has some flaws, and most of them are related to how the game was built and will likely never be corrected, but the game is still perfectly playable and fun. I would strongly recommend it, even more so if you could find it on sale. The devs are apparently cooking up their next game but have been quiet lately and released few details other than it being another game about transporting things.

As for Locomotion, it's a fun sandbox game but I'd still find myself going back to OpenTTD instead of this. Towards the end of the game many problems arise from cities growing to cover the entire map and if you're playing with the AI you'll find it building mile high railroads and freeways through the sky, or completely paving over lakes and rivers. It's just a bloody mess.

I am surprised Jaguars! has managed to keep the company afloat with so much track building but only 3 trains. I usually start with a number of shorter truck routes and/or local bus and streetcar lines to provide a steady trickle of income while I construct larger railway networks and aircraft.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jaguars! posted:

nnnope! IIRC, even in TTD, that just resulted in a new company starting up a few months later. You can set up scenarios where the computer is not allowed to build a certain type of transport, so banning rails and roads will eliminate most of the clutter. In that case the AI will prioritise building trams and aircraft.

Yeah, when I do play with the AI I usually just restrict them to those modes of transportation. They can still make a mess with the streetcar tracks and will bankrupt themselves endlessly with unprofitable airlines but it does results in less immediate clutter.

The side effect of that is that there's usually streetcar tracks built everywhere (which can impede running normal rail lines) and they'll encourage city growth to such a degree that cities will encompass the entire map by the end of the game, over running every forest and farm and leaving literally nowhere for any new industries to grow. The AI and town models in this game are really rather hard to play with...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Veloxyll posted:

I feel you should at least build some bus routes for the low approval towns, just to get that rating creeping up. Also, only 1 house stands between us and a vinyard -> winery route. Could also hook a farm up to a food processor or brewery with trucks. If only they weren't so questionably effective at this time. Though it must be getting close to the next grade of trucking.

Road vehicles can become such a colossal pain in the rear end after you've built enough of them (why, why do I need to issue them orders 1-by-1 :bang:). The same tree spamming trick on TTD works here too; just plop a few down in the vicinity of the town and plow all the train tracks through as many homes as you like.

I like running really long trains though, so using trucks to feed resources from multiple, nearby sources can really help. Just hope you like listening to the sound of a dozen or so trucks breaking down every few seconds.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It seemed to work in the latest game I had been playing. It's the 1960s and already cities are getting too big to divert around, so it's pretty much necessary to use since you can't bribe them otherwise.

It just may take a lot of trees since there's no 'fill area' brush like the other games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PurpleXVI posted:

So is this where we say "gently caress IT" and sabotage Burgundy mercilessly with every dirty trick the game allows us to use?

I don't think many of the exploits from the previous game still work here... it's virtually impossible to get road vehicles hit by trains (they will never stop or breakdown over tracks) and I don't know if the 'ram your train into competitors station' exploit still works. It's been forever since I actually last played with a competitor that I allowed to build trains.

It's also really hard to hem them in, because as you've seen the build poo poo anywhere and everywhere.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jaguars! posted:

Time to kick 'er in the guts again. Hope y'all had a good break.

Godammit, there's a Bristol Freighter mod available! Why was I not informed of this?!

There are many, many mods available for this game - which is usually great, but because there is a hard limit of 224 vehicles (that nobody seems to be able to get around) you kinda need to pick and choose what you put in the games you want to play. This especially sucks for me because I like to create trains that are similar to the ones you see in North America; usually long, mixed consists and multiple company's liveries. The limit really eats into the variety.

But welcome back and all those formalities.

Decoy Badger posted:

if it was just you playing solo would you have ever bothered with the trunk-and-branch model?
Back when the original Transport Tycoon came out (when I was the tender age of 10 or 11) I mostly learned how to play by copying the AI player so there were a lot of point-to-point routes and whatnot. As myself and another friend who really enjoyed the game got used to how things worked we'd make more elaborate layouts. Creating massive, map wide, interconnected railways eventually became a late game challenge (when you were rolling in cash and basically waiting out the clock). Always did the same here, taking more of the 'train set' approach when playing.

Route and vehicle management in Locomotion tends to become tedious towards the end of the game when you have hundreds of trucks and trains and planes running around. It doesn't help that you can't just send everything to a depot to wait and there is no auto-replace function. Instead you need to hunt each one down and do it manually. Also, for some reason things seem to wear out really fast in Locomotion, there's no reason a truck should breakdown every 8-10 seconds or why locomotives need replacing after only 10 years in service.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Decoy Badger posted:

Does Locomotion assume a common rail gauge? Can you run your trains on tram lines? I guess the setting isn't early enough for different rail gauges to really be a problem, especially since you're theoretically the first railway ever in the area.

Short answer to your question(s) is: no.

While the game never gets into things like track gauge you cannot run trains on streetcar tracks nor can you run streetcars on regular train tracks. I haven't done a per-pixel comparison but you can see that each length of road and (single) length of track takes up one tile in the game, where as streetcar tracks are always twinned and must fit within the confines of a single tile, so it's probably safe to assume they are narrower. Even if they weren't, they're close enough together that any trains running on them would clip each other if they passed.

You can have streetcar and railroad tracks intersect but they cannot junction with each other. They can be placed on roads or bare ground and don't need to follow the same path as any roads they are placed on. Railroad tracks, however, can only intersect with roadways at right angles; ie. you can't place a piece of curved track over a straight road, or vise versa. You also cannot place tracks traveling directly down a road (like this).

But you can place elevated roads and tracks anywhere you want, regardless of what's underneath them (including tall buildings). You can even place one route directly on top of another, from one end to the other, and have it just hover in the sky as there will be no room for the game to fit supports in. In fact, you can stack multiple routes on top of each other like this if you wish.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since Locomotion came out right around the time Hasbro resurrected the Atari brand I'm assuming one of them still holds the rights? Unless someone copied the bulk of the game and started selling it as their own I can't imagine anyone there really giving a poo poo or wanting to take the time/money to chase down fan made patches to a game that's been ignored for close to 12 years.

Still, the pictures below exemplify exactly why I play with no competitors in this game - there's no real way to fix that's going on and it will steadily get worse as the AI looks for even more ways to make money and they slowly strangle the map and town growth like that. What isn't covered in rails and mile high freeways will slowly fill with buildings. In Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe the AI companies ignored local council opinions and could terraform for free (which lead to all sorts of hilarity on the South American and Alpine maps) but here, I don't know what rules they follow; it's been so long since I cared to play with them to observe what happens.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

President Ark posted:

I want to read dystopian fiction written about life in the grim future of the United Railway Kingdom.

It's like living in Midgar, only instead of a city of rich people and corrupt businessmen above it's just endless tracks leading in every direction. The constant rumble of trains slowly driving people crazy through lack of sleep.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

tomanton posted:

As for different power sources, only drawback I've seen is that electrified passenger cars are a sham. You can only combine them with themselves so they're way less versatile, also every purchase is for two engines so they break down twice as often. In my Great Britain game my first big cash cow was a 6-car electrified train line in the sky, but when it hit 1% reliability I found I couldn't retire it because while 1 or 2 engines broke down the other 4 would keep lurching it forward, then would themselves be broken down by the time the other end of the train was fixed.

I couldn't take it off the track because it couldn't accept an order to stop, and eventually I just sold some track out from under it so it fell from the sky.

This is why I preferred having the depots in the first games to just plopping things down - eventually the train would limp to a depot if you ordered it to, whereas in this game you need to sometimes resort to deliberately destroying things to get rid of them. It doesn't help that vehicles in Locomotion seem to have a ridiculously short lifespan. Many of the write ups in this thread about the real world equivalents to the locomotives in this game mention that stuff built in the 40s/50s is still in use today (albeit after 1 or 2 refurbs) but in the game you'll need to start thinking of replacing something after about 15 years or it starts spending more time broken down than delivering things.

You quickly reach a point where you have so many vehicles that you just spend all your time running around replacing them, and by the time you've replaced the oldest one it's time to go replace the first one again. There is also no auto-replace function.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Even when stopped a train can still (magically) breakdown, so other locos will still breakdown as soon as the first one is finished being fixed, leading to a never ending chain reaction... at that point ripping up the tracks underneath them and watching the thing burst into a gigantic fireball is just cathartic. Maybe if you waited long enough all the 'stored' breakdowns would eventually be used up and you could deal with it but who wants to wait for that while it's screwing up other trains on the line and with your service ratings? So long as you don't close the window of the train after it's crashed you can still copy the orders for its replacement.

I think the 'no touching the broken down vehicles' thing was meant to balance the game - so you couldn't just remove a broken down vehicle and unblock whatever it was in front of, or pick it up and immediately cancel the broken down status or something. Not that the game needed any more tedious micromanagement. It really only ever affects trains though, road vehicles and ships will pass each other and planes never crash (that I can remember). It's really just trains that are stuck waiting.

In other news, it looks like Train Fever (another simple, yet fun transport game) got it's final patch late last week and the devs are now moving on to their next project. Apparently it's supposed to be another transport game, so maybe they'll try making some TTDLX clone? One can always hope.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 7, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't believe planes can crash in this game, no. If they do, it's exceptionally rare as it's not uncommon for me to have planes flying around at 1% reliability for years on end because I have so much else going on I can't be bothered to replace them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Road vehicles and trains go to great lengths to avoid each other in this game - trucks/buses that you've ordered to stop or breakdown will coast just long enough to clear any train tracks nearby (or come to a dead stop depending on the distance they have), they will also avoid entering the same tile as any tracks unless the one on the other side is clear.

I think the only things that can collide in this game are the trains. There aren't even any random disasters anymore like in the previous game.

Not sure if that's a result of limitations arising from the re-purposed RCT engine being used or if there was some other reason Sawyer wanted to avoid situations like that. He apparently ran into trademark issues with the original game so maybe one of the conditions of being able to use the correct names for things again was to make sure things (like planes) couldn't crash and be depicted in a bad light?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jaguars! posted:

I remember in one of the old ones it would even tell you the driver was killed if a freight vehicle crash. Locomotion also has a disclaimer when you start it stating that the performance figures are not representative.

There was an article linked on the forums a while ago about the video game licencing. One, it's all dealt through the carmakers' legal departments, which are naturally risk averse. It's also small fry in car business terms so the non-gamer bosses tend to suggest terms that completely break the game. Two, none of the makers line up right; e.g one might allow panel damage but the car can't roll over, another allows it only to the base trim model only.

Both the original Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe (and I guess OpenTTD) would have a headline like 'Driver killed in collision with X!' (it's actually been a long time since I played, I don't remember the exact phrase). It would be displayed for any trucks or empty buses that got hit.

The 'no damage' clause in most games also seems to be much rarer these days. Granted the last racing game I played was Next Car Game so that doesn't really count, but something like NFS: Hot Pursuit (which was the last other racing game I've played) also had rather significant damage modeled on their cars and most race objectives involved causing violent, and often fatal, collisions to knock out your opponents. Maybe it's just less of am issue these days, or the publishers have better negotiators working for them now?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Veloxyll posted:

Hey now. This thread is about enjoying Foaming in all its shapes and sizes!

I respect machinery with a body count - proves it has live experience!

Wonder of Jaguars! included the L-1011 as part of his vehicle selection...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Not sure how much it interests people here, but while we're between updates and horrifying safety board post-mortems you may be interested to know the developers behind Train Fever are set to announce their next game on April 11th. No details yet but it will apparently once again feature trains - oddly enough the promo shot on their website features the front profile of a de Havilland Comet.

2016 is shaping up to be the return of weird niche genres. (stop making lovely phone games and get with the program, Sawyer!)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think it's more of an issue with the game world and engine, as it can only be so big and thus you have to fit a lot of details into a much smaller area if you want to build a detailed map of a region. And the larger the region you're trying to simulate the more difficult it becomes to crush everything in there, to the point where trying to recreate accurate depictions looks ridiculous.

The game world is really not to scale so if you try to build an exact copy its going to be a mess; for instance, I think one layer of elevation in the game is ~16 feet so Atlanta's elevation of 1,000 feet above sea level would likely exceed what the engine can draw. You're also trying to fit a 4,000 kilometer wide country into a map that is not in any way to scale so you end up in a very crowded world and with no room to gradually change elevations you end up with things like cities being built on cliff sides and locations that in the real world are hours apart being located on top of each other.

In the end you either need to work with a (much) bigger map, settle for a close approximation of what America looks like or just focus in on one area and model it more accurately. If we were playing on a map that just focused on the cotton belt vs. the entire continental United States we likely wouldn't see such weird topography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think that was just a bug with the newspaper, or Jaguars! didn't let the page fully load before taking a screenshot. You could bulldoze a town down to the last building and it won't vanish, it'll just be a name over an empty field for a bit but eventually the buildings will be rebuilt.

It looks like a livestock farm closed and we're not playing with the 'found primary industry' rule enabled, so we can only build industries that process raw materials.

• Locked thread