Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I wanted to love this game so much, since it had some really nice improvements on Transport Tycoon, and even now, OpenTTD is missing a lot of said improvements (mostly in terms of building on multiple layers instead of flat ground, or straight tunnels and bridges). And the trains looked really nice and long.

But the demands for clicking thousands of times to build a long track got tiresome, and then I discovered the AI "reserving space" while it was building. At that point, I stopped playing and never touched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

President Ark posted:

This has very little to do with the LP at hand, but: Was this the railroad/business/transport tycoon type game where one of the scenarios was set in the near future and required you to transport a bunch of concrete to a geothermal power plant that blew up because it was spewing greenhouse gases and which had gradually-rising water levels as it went on? Because I played that from some gaming magazine demo disc years ago and seeing this thread suddenly reminded me of it and now it's driving me nuts.

Sounds like it might have been Railroad Tycoon 2, the Second Century. There's some info on it here: http://theterminal.dune2k.com/?p=rrt2-version-century

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Locomotion definitely plays better as a model train set than TTD ever did. The smooth curves and more details trains are a lot better for that than the boxyness of the TTD graphics.

Train Fever is really great for passenger lines, but transporting freight is mostly just frustrating. Having freight move naturally without trains/trucks is a good idea (Railroad Tycoon 3 did it), but once you build a station, the freight needed to prioritize your station. As it stands, you can't really transport enough freight to make long trains worth it, and the whole game kind of suffers since the only real fun becomes hooking up town.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Grabpot Thundergust posted:

How the buggeration do signals work? I cannot make them direct trains in the way I want, despite much fiddling about and profanity. I've looked at the stuff you've posted about routing and so on. It's like a ruddy alien language; I can see that there's logic and a pattern behind it, but can I arseburgers work out what it is.

Here's a fairly basic guide to signals in Locomotion. Generally, in Locomotion and Transport Tycoon, you want to build routes in loop, with one way signals all along it. Or you build a two track "main line" with one track going north (or east) and the other track going south (or west). Again, one way signals on each track. You basically end up with a train highway.

Then, you mostly just have to pay attention to which way the signals are going when building off that main line. It can be easy to make mistakes early on. The OpenTTD wiki has some more about signals and junctions, but it doesn't quite line up 1:1 with Locomotion because I think there's only 2 way and 1 way signals in Locomotion (I could be wrong...)

• Locked thread