Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
This brings back fond memories of griefing OpenTTD, which to the best of my recollection had no AI. One AI would be cool just to see what happens. That payment graph also seemed to suggest that some types of cargo are worthless if they take too long in transit, is that a common hazard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Bought the game because of the LP but I haven't been able to complete any of the 100-year challenges because instead of 1 competing company making hideous double-tracked spaghetti bridges there are 14 and by 1905 the landscape is a frustrating dystopian train hell. By 1920 you can't see the ground.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

PurpleXVI posted:

I want to see some screenshots of this.
Sure.

Jaguars said Great Britain is especially bad, but words don't do justice. Sheffield is in here somewhere.

The Bristol Channel is also no more, having been completely paved over to accommodate freight highways and rollercoasters. By sheer coincidence, a familiar face is helping turn England into a dystopian train hell.

:britain:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Jaguars! posted:

I want to know how many suffixes there were before London went to numbering stations.
I think 18 or 19 (if you include the suffix-free "London") before it went to numbers. London has 21 stations in my game, though ironically a very low population, as being sandwiched between 21 stations and the English Channel hasn't left much room for growth.

Five of the seven biggest cities on the map are in Ireland, which now looks like it was desperately trying to escape Great Britain before being lashed down to the empire by ~40 rail bridges.

Decoy Badger posted:

What sort of timeline is there on turning the islands into concrete hellscapes? Is it mostly just waiting for the towns there to build up through passenger traffic?
What Jaguars said. I thiiiiink town growth is closely proportionate to how many passengers/mail(?)/food/goods it accepts regardless of origin, so while just about any town can bus passengers from one end to the other, the moment they're big enough to accept food and goods (which happens at more or less the same time) growth triples. For whatever reason the Swiss Alps challenge has towns big enough to accept goods from the get-go, and they're already bigger in 1908 than my biggest Great Britain town was in 1955.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
By the water? Clear out the 2x2 right turn by the factory for a 2x1 ramp, then it's a straight shot to the other side. One single house demolished and two below with year-round shade.

As for different power sources, only drawback I've seen is that electrified passenger cars are a sham. You can only combine them with themselves so they're way less versatile, also every purchase is for two engines so they break down twice as often. In my Great Britain game my first big cash cow was a 6-car electrified train line in the sky, but when it hit 1% reliability I found I couldn't retire it because while 1 or 2 engines broke down the other 4 would keep lurching it forward, then would themselves be broken down by the time the other end of the train was fixed.

I couldn't take it off the track because it couldn't accept an order to stop, and eventually I just sold some track out from under it so it fell from the sky.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Flying High is a nice track until all the rest expire and it plays on repeat for like three years, and then you miss it again when the next song plays on repeat for a few years too. It's also a nice touch that the newspapers get modern in 1945.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Whenever I try to make big /complicated rail networks my trains sometimes/always only use one single platform of a multi platform station or go to the wrong station altogether. What mistake am I making and how do I fix it?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Alright, some problem signals encountered in recent games that weren't obvious to me why they didn't work. All of these take place in various 100-year challenge hellscapes.

Sometimes when I have platform entries divided up on a curve the trains insist on using either only 2 or 1 platform, this is a case of the latter.

The hillside-climbing track presently goes to nowhere, but the moment I placed signals, trains that had otherwise operated normally ignored their usual route to flood into the dead end.

I seemed to have success with the three-forked station entry, so when the Baldwins rolled around I figured a four-pronged expansion would work the same way. It didn't!

Also that Montgomery is huge, is there some way to grow towns besides passengers/food/goods?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks for the help, the whole shortest-path thing definitely will factor into how I build stations. Here's a station solved with waypoints and what it took to make trains take the bait:

Trains do seem to path much more precisely in 'approaching' mode (which I guess is why my Washington DC stations had only the platform problems) but out in the wild they can be pretty bad.

I also bought Locomotion because of this LP, which also turned me into a lean mean train-sorting machine. Just three Expert challenges to go and hopefully I can be done just shy of sinking 100 hours into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks for the LP and the slices of history.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna finish the last three challenges, I've reached my limit of 'get your rating really high with crap trains on a weak landscape' missions which sadly is almost all of them. It's a shame because a handful of the challenges are really neat (Aerophobia, Race to Read, etc) so the potential was there, not to mention it would have been fun to inherit existing companies rather than break fresh ground every single time. Or have a single challenge set in the 90s, and on and on. Still very glad I saw this LP and picked up the game.

Also while playing I took note of when every song appeared to get the soundtrack in chronological order. Beyond thinking it was a really neat touch I don't know what to do with this information, but here it is:

• Locked thread