Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sailor Senshi?
This poll is closed.
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino 6 4.51%
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno 15 11.28%
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino 23 17.29%
Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino 42 31.58%
Sailor Venus/Minako Aino 6 4.51%
why didnt you put the outers on here fucker 41 30.83%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I started writing down timestamps of cool things to make gifs of, but stopped when I realized I was basically going to have to make a gif of the entire film.

Hell, why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Ynt0mNSwo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how do you define what is and isn't creepy though

like 'drat, this lady that was drawn to be sexy, sure is sexy' isn't really creepy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

What an unexpectedly convenient segue into this post I was just typing up anyway:

In light of recent board issues, conflicts, and personality clashes - in particular a few pertaining specifically to the chat thread - I'm drafting an update to the existing subforum rules regarding the posting of images and general posting etiquette. The meat and potatoes of this update will concern a few things that have kinda always been the accepted, expected way of doing things, just never set in stone or (in some cases) explicitly stated. There are a few points I feel will require some addressing in here however.

Regarding the posting of fanservicey and ecchi images, both official and fan-created, I appreciate that some folks don't consider them a big deal or even that objectionable. While I personally am not a huge fan of them being posted, they don't really faze me since I've been a part of several communities that took a far more casual attitude towards their inclusion. That said, I think posters who don't wish to view such images are entitled to not be bombarded by them or (as occasionally is the case) tricked into viewing them. Outside of the chat thread they should be spoilered and/or remotely linked and tagged. Inside the chat thread, while I'm not necessarily stamping it out, I'd appreciate some restraint - and even in this looser posting environment there are still some images I'd think would benefit from being set apart and tagged (I will specify which ones in the update).

Which brings us to our next and honestly bigger point.

A lot of the posts surrounding these images are often unnecessarily lurid, leering, or otherwise creepy. Even as an "Ironic" joke, it's pretty tasteless...especially considering the elephant in the room regarding the subject of many of these images. Yeah they're "Not real," "Arbitrarily drawn a certain way," "Actually XX years old," but it's still creepy as hell. I know this place is white noise central and very few posts in a vacuum should be taken seriously, but I've received a lot of reports and PMs from people who no longer feel comfortable posting in here. Some of them aren't even against these images being posted but still feel like the atmosphere surrounding them has become too much. This forum only has a few rules, even fewer of which apply in here, but "Don't be a creep" should be pretty universal.

Thanks for reading.

Why don't you just delete the chat thread

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What the gently caress is going on with that english text on the lower left?

Also it appears that mecha musume are a lot older than I thought.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tarranon posted:

you don't remember game boxes bragging about how many minutes /hours of cutscenes they had? that was a real thing, way before David cage was even a name

yeah, but that's not a matter of scorning gameplay or anything, that's just marketing and dickwaving about how much stuff they have. everybody likes being able to wave around a big number like "120 levels!" or "80 hours of gameplay! (including obscure and unfun sidequests)"

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

What an unexpectedly convenient segue into this post I was just typing up anyway:

In light of recent board issues, conflicts, and personality clashes - in particular a few pertaining specifically to the chat thread - I'm drafting an update to the existing subforum rules regarding the posting of images and general posting etiquette. The meat and potatoes of this update will concern a few things that have kinda always been the accepted, expected way of doing things, just never set in stone or (in some cases) explicitly stated. There are a few points I feel will require some addressing in here however.

Regarding the posting of fanservicey and ecchi images, both official and fan-created, I appreciate that some folks don't consider them a big deal or even that objectionable. While I personally am not a huge fan of them being posted, they don't really faze me since I've been a part of several communities that took a far more casual attitude towards their inclusion. That said, I think posters who don't wish to view such images are entitled to not be bombarded by them or (as occasionally is the case) tricked into viewing them. Outside of the chat thread they should be spoilered and/or remotely linked and tagged. Inside the chat thread, while I'm not necessarily stamping it out, I'd appreciate some restraint - and even in this looser posting environment there are still some images I'd think would benefit from being set apart and tagged (I will specify which ones in the update).

Which brings us to our next and honestly bigger point.

A lot of the posts surrounding these images are often unnecessarily lurid, leering, or otherwise creepy. Even as an "Ironic" joke, it's pretty tasteless...especially considering the elephant in the room regarding the subject of many of these images. Yeah they're "Not real," "Arbitrarily drawn a certain way," "Actually XX years old," but it's still creepy as hell. I know this place is white noise central and very few posts in a vacuum should be taken seriously, but I've received a lot of reports and PMs from people who no longer feel comfortable posting in here. Some of them aren't even against these images being posted but still feel like the atmosphere surrounding them has become too much. This forum only has a few rules, even fewer of which apply in here, but "Don't be a creep" should be pretty universal.

Thanks for reading.

I think this is pretty fair. not everyone wants to see half-naked ladies/dudes all the time and that's valid

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

i find this to be by far the most laid-back thread i've encountered on the site, but alright

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the battle systems in 12 and 13 are polar opposites of each other, 12 pretty much takes care of itself once you set it up but you can still come in and press buttons when there's an impactful thing to do, while 13 wants you to constantly make input but not much of it is very meaingful ultimately. either way, its still way more interesting to compare games on the basis of what makes them special as games because who cares what anyone thinks about the stories of 12 or 13

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

someone: i want to have consensual sex with a woman

bad seafood:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

13 input is very meaningful since you need to be paradigm shifting every 6 seconds or so to respond to changes in the fight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

13 input is very meaningful since you need to be paradigm shifting every 6 seconds or so to respond to changes in the fight.
yeah but outside of the boss battles most of the fights play out the same way cause you're constantly getting into encounters with the same groups of monsters

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am really bad at combat in games so 12's system was pretty much ideal for me :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

the battle systems in 12 and 13 are polar opposites of each other, 12 pretty much takes care of itself once you set it up but you can still come in and press buttons when there's an impactful thing to do, while 13 wants you to constantly make input but not much of it is very meaingful ultimately. either way, its still way more interesting to compare games on the basis of what makes them special as games because who cares what anyone thinks about the stories of 12 or 13

story and character are some of the things that make a game special though, especially in a genre like role-playing. just look at any game that has separate timers for Total Game Time and Total Battle Time. one of those is going to be much higher than the other, and how you feel about that time matters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

how do you define what is and isn't creepy though

like 'drat, this lady that was drawn to be sexy, sure is sexy' isn't really creepy
It's a nebulous business, to be fair. The whole issue is, really.

That said, to bring up a topical example from recent memory, I feel like posting repeatedly and fixatedly about the "Thick white rear end" of a 16-year-old is pretty unambiguously crossing a line.

Alternatively, consider the following.

Endorph posted:

someone: i want to have sex with a 14-year-old

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's dick spacious though. literally his entire gimmick is crossing the line. it has been since he regged.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

homeless snail posted:

I'll respectfully disagree just because there are times when the story does add to the game, even rarely messing with its game mechanics leading to some interesting moments that makes the game more memorable in the player's mind.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I look forward to the game that's nothing but lines of code interacting in reaction to button presses a bunch of people itt want.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

like, if I'm going to play a game with more text than war & peace, I'm gonna say that quality of the story is going to be a pretty drat big factor in the game's quality.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

it's dick spacious though. literally his entire gimmick is crossing the line. it has been since he regged.

ah yes, the "pretending to be a pedophile" gimmick

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I look forward to the game that's nothing but lines of code interacting in reaction to button presses a bunch of people itt want.

i think that's called dwarf fort

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

I'm surprised you guys are so accepting of dick actually lmao

Droyer posted:

they exist, theyre called fighting games + dotas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

im not saying that 'dick spacious has a gimmick and so is untouchable,' more that 'dick spacious doesn't really represent the standard posting'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

im not saying that 'dick spacious has a gimmick and so is untouchable,' more that 'dick spacious doesn't really represent the standard posting'

FirstAidKite posted:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

they exist, theyre called fighting games + dotas

A big part of fighting games is spectacle though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you wanted to ban dick, that'd be totally fair and i get that, but making a big post about it doesn't really affect anyone else. sometimes people go 'lol' at dick's post but dick is the only one making posts like that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

but dick is the only one making posts like that

lmao

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Droyer posted:

wat

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Like almost all fighting games has a varied cast of colorful characters, and i think that's kind of integral to the genre.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Droyer posted:

Like almost all fighting games has a varied cast of colorful characters, and i think that's kind of integral to the genre.

someitmes i wish shaq fu had been good because it had some pretty neat variety in its characters

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If you say gameplay is all that matters that's the same as saying visuals, music, writing, presentation etc. are all worthless

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

aids

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Droyer posted:

Absolutely integral, imo.

Like, if BlazBlue didn't have characters and writing I generally found to be pretty fun, I would not have bothered playing through all of CSE, and then I don't think I would have ultimately played it nearly as much as I did going through the VN stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

i'd bring up some of the stuff I've read in games as an argument about people playing certain FGs even if they don't think the gameplay's the best, but I don't think games is a good example of anything.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Droyer posted:

A big part of fighting games is spectacle though?
graphics in a fighting game serve only to inform the players of state and suggest hitboxes, any fighting game where the graphics take that big of a priority is usually a bad one. I'm not saying you can't enjoy a bad game, but liking it doesn't make it good either

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm glad that a line has been drawn since honestly it had been getting p obnoxious

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Droyer posted:

If you say gameplay is all that matters that's the same as saying visuals, music, writing, presentation etc. are all worthless

For example, play Metal Gear Rising, but now mute it so you don't hear Rules of Nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Droyer posted:

That's every game ever made

• Locked thread