Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Dextrous lone wolf, Han Solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Kit Fisto, who... actually it's best if I don't tell you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What is Snoke is really Jar Jar?

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Meesa thinkin' youssa needin' be takin youssa lightsaber and strikin me down with it!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
No mention of Elan Sleazebaggano, the sleazy drug pusher?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Now we’re really going off the EU deep end.

That said, feel obliged to mention The Exile.

Guess what they did.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
While it's possible that Rey and Kylo are Luke's kids I'm much more inclined to believe what many others have already speculated, that they are Han and Leia's, simply because with Luke questions would be raised as to who their mother was whereas Han and Leia are already an established couple. Plus the fact that being Leia's kids gives them the Skywalker legacy anyway, sharing Anakin as a grandfather.

I wonder though if Kylo's turn to the Dark Side either on his own or guided by Snoke and subsequent obsession with Vader is even more personal than his sense of familial connection. Abrams did an interview about Kylo where he states that Kylo assumed at least the name Ren when he joins the Knights of Ren. If the Knights are Sith themselves or even just a bunch of Sith-worshipping culty weirdos it would make sense for them to take 2 assumed names in Sith style - title and name, so Kylo could be an assumed name akin to Vader. I'm not sure how I feel about them using dumb EU stuff but might it make sense if Kylo's birth name was Anakin just so as to give him that extra obsessive boost into thinking of himself as the heir to Vader. I think it would be a pretty reasonable name choice for Leia to name her son given that Luke would have told her that their father was redeemed in the end by saving Luke and throwing the Emperor down the shaft.

I think Kylo's obsession with Vader and therefore Anakin's lightsaber is a good enough hook to get the plot rolling but I'm more interested in the Lightsabers past - it would seem from the vision Maz gives to Rey that Maz herself and Kylo have a past with it but I hope there's a better explanation for how the Lightsaber came to be tumbling down towards Jakku where a Skywalker awaits it other than "the Force".

Also I'm not sure about Finn being force-sensitive. Having a crisis of conscience as a Stormtrooper and running about with Poe, Rey and Han doesn't require him to be force-sensitive. Doesn't it make more sense that he isn't force-sensitive given that he is outmatched by Kylo in their duel in the forest and it is the force user Rey who comes in to save Finn.

Overall I'm inclined to believe the speculative synopsis on Making Star Wars, seems like it will make for a good movie. But I am still intrigued as to who Snoke is - I always thought he would be a Palpatine clone, the internet would have me believe he's Darth Jar Jar but I really like the Darth Plagueis and the Quest for Immortality idea. Would tie things together nicely. Couldn't they do a convincing Muun in prosthetics though?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
We have Starkiller Base in the new one, which is a base that kills stars to blow up systems.

And the first big conflict we saw in the original Star Wars was a bunch of people fighting a war against a (Death) star.

Star Wars does subtlety like Disney does licensing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What if Starkiller Base is just a trap? Like what if you just say you built a planetary superweapon that destroys stars and everyone believes you because this is loving Star Wars and no one doubts superweapons? And you lure the Rebellion Alliance Resistance in to attack you and all the superweapon does is destroy those fancy new X-Wings real well?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You probably shouldn't have titled a thread that's 100% baseless speculation the "spoil-o-rama" thread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lady Naga posted:

You probably shouldn't have titled a thread that's 100% baseless speculation the "spoil-o-rama" thread.
It's not http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Robutt posted:

Also I'm not sure about Finn being force-sensitive. Having a crisis of conscience as a Stormtrooper and running about with Poe, Rey and Han doesn't require him to be force-sensitive. Doesn't it make more sense that he isn't force-sensitive given that he is outmatched by Kylo in their duel in the forest and it is the force user Rey who comes in to save Finn.

Luke was Force-sensitive and had actual Jedi training when he faced Vader the first time, and was wayyyy out of his depth. Unless they hook Finn up to a Force-o-meter and it turns up a big zero on camera, I think it's possible.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And here's a synopsis that is significantly more up-to-date, includes info from the latest trailers, pictures, etc.

VVVVvvvVVVV edit: The latter, I believe (see: the "confidence" level being 80%). Doesn't read too badly, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is that opening scroll from a leak? Or just something someone put together based on plot rumors?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Japanese trailer has confirmed even more of that synopsis.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah the "our destiny" thing is a pretty telling line.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yup he's absolutely Anakin's grandson.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Its luke though right?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

The latest synopsis claims Kylo is Hans son and Rey is Luke's daughter but I'm more inclined to think they are siblings rather than cousins. As to whether they're the kids of Luke or Leia, I'm not too sure at this point.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Robutt posted:

The latest synopsis claims Kylo is Hans son and Rey is Luke's daughter but I'm more inclined to think they are siblings rather than cousins. As to whether they're the kids of Luke or Leia, I'm not too sure at this point.
They're clearly meant to be mirror images of each other given all the imagery in the film. I'd rather they be siblings because then the question will be raised as to who Rey's mother is if she's Luke's kid. Unless Luke and Leia never could kick that incest habit and that's why the kids are all screwed up. I doubt Disney would let that into the story.

Although bonus points if they bring all of that darth plagueis stuff into this an rey is another midichlorian derived virgin birthed force person like Anakin. She's quite clearly carrying around a staff that looks like it has lightsaber poo poo on one end as seen in those character specific posters. That almost like the hilt of one end of darth maul's lightsaber turned upside down.

G-III fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 8, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kylo Ren has to be Han and Leia's. I mean, not just anyone can up and kill Han. It's gotta mean something.

Han being killed by his own son, and Kylo Ren killing his own father means a lot more than if he was killing his uncle.

Rey being Luke's does raise the question of who the mother is, but fortunately we've got a whole two other movies to explore that. It's an opportunity to add to Luke's back story (what happened between movies at least), which is going to be relevant sooner or later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe Luke knocked boots with Captain Phasma. He is used to people remarking on his lack of height...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

G-III posted:

Although bonus points if they bring all of that darth plagueis stuff into this an rey is another midichlorian derived virgin birthed force person like Anakin. She's quite clearly carrying around a staff that looks like it has lightsaber poo poo on one end as seen in those character specific posters. That almost like the hilt of one end of darth maul's lightsaber turned upside down.

Didn't JJ Abraham Lincoln say there wouldn't be any mention of Midichlorines in this one?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Didn't JJ Abraham Lincoln say there wouldn't be any mention of Midichlorines in this one?
Were midichlorians mentioned more than like twice in the movies anyway?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G-III posted:

They're clearly meant to be mirror images of each other given all the imagery in the film. I'd rather they be siblings because then the question will be raised as to who Rey's mother is if she's Luke's kid. Unless Luke and Leia never could kick that incest habit and that's why the kids are all screwed up. I doubt Disney would let that into the story.

RLM did a predictions video and I'm not sure why I didn't see it before, but a lot of what we see of Rey parallels Luke in A New Hope. So I am inclined to believe it's his kid. Also, if she's Han and Leia's where they hell did she get the accent. If she's Luke, you could speculate that her mom did the bulk of raising her.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It might have been mentioned in this thread, or elsewhere. But the claim is that its a "Coruscanti" accent she has. And she was vocally trained by someone on set but ahahahah its probably bullshit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nessus posted:

Were midichlorians mentioned more than like twice in the movies anyway?

It's clear that Lucas wanted them to play a much larger role in the overarching story of the prequels but changed his plans due to the unanimous disdain for it. Same thing happened with Jar Jar and why he got smaller roles as the movies went on. Anakin's birth was originally going to be explicitly spelled out as Darth Evil doing magic with the midiclhorians to create a super force baby.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Eiba posted:

Rey being Luke's does raise the question of who the mother is, but fortunately we've got a whole two other movies to explore that. It's an opportunity to add to Luke's back story (what happened between movies at least), which is going to be relevant sooner or later.

To mirror Anakin's immaculate conception, there is no mother. He kept the fetus inna box.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's clear that Lucas wanted them to play a much larger role in the overarching story of the prequels but changed his plans due to the unanimous disdain for it. Same thing happened with Jar Jar and why he got smaller roles as the movies went on. Anakin's birth was originally going to be explicitly spelled out as Darth Evil doing magic with the midiclhorians to create a super force baby.
How would they have played a larger role? Like I have a hard time seeing where in the narrative they could have gotten more than a couple of additional name drops, which I suppose Lucas avoided, but I'm just like, where would that fit?

Jar Jar could have spoken more and been more overt but it seems like Lucas's plan (other than the Sith Lord theory of course) was to have him be a senator who basically enables his buddy Palpatine, showing that the System Is In Fact Toxic. Frankly I think that would've made the movies clearer.

As for Anakin I thought that kind of happened anyway, or at least Sheev took it to be.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Ford is at the very least signed up for Episode VIII:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/13/9522797/casting-sheet-claims-benicio-del-toro-is-villain-in-star-wars-episode

So yeah, I doubt he bites it, at least not in this one.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope jabbas son randomly pops up and steals him

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Matthewtheman posted:

Ford is at the very least signed up for Episode VIII:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/13/9522797/casting-sheet-claims-benicio-del-toro-is-villain-in-star-wars-episode

So yeah, I doubt he bites it, at least not in this one.

You are in denial. Its ok man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That is actually a fair point, though, why would he be signed on for more if his character dies in this one? Han's not force-sensitive, so he couldn't show up as a force ghost. Flashbacks, maybe, but kinda doubtful.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That is actually a fair point, though, why would he be signed on for more if his character dies in this one?

He would be signed on to keep the plot under the Cone of Silence. For the amount they'll make on this film, they can afford to keep a 73-year-old man on the payroll to keep a secret.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This may or may not be bullshit (it's almost certainly bullshit):

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/08/huge-spoiler-last-name-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-/

Finn Calrissian, eh?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
It's 100% guaranteed bullshit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

That is actually a fair point, though, why would he be signed on for more if his character dies in this one? Han's not force-sensitive, so he couldn't show up as a force ghost. Flashbacks, maybe, but kinda doubtful.
Apparently there's a message Luke has left for Rey near the end of this movie. Han may have left a message to a loved one... or even his son. If Kylo Ren is to be turned from the dark side after killing his father, some positive words from Han might go a long way.

Gonz posted:

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/08/huge-spoiler-last-name-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-/

Finn Calrissian, eh?
His name comes from his stormtrooper serial number.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nothing spoilery in the new TV spot, but Harrison Ford is in this way more than I thought he'd be and by all accounts, Mark Hamill is in this way less than I thought he'd be.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gonz posted:

Finn Calrissian, eh?
Last we checked Lando was one of the few black guys in the galaxy, so who else could be Finn's father?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nothing spoilery in the new TV spot, but Harrison Ford is in this way more than I thought he'd be and by all accounts, Mark Hamill is in this way less than I thought he'd be.

I'm kind of dreading this as Harrison Ford became really boring and bad as he became old. I really just want him to show up and die. He'll ruin poo poo if he's in it too much.

• Locked thread