Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Getting major Full Metal Jacket vibes from that short alien plane gunner.

"How can you kill Ewoks and Jawas?"

Easy! You just don't lead em as much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Okay, question time: how many of you thought of Frank Booth from Blue Velvet when Saw Gerrera was using his mask?

Me and there's no way they weren't thinking about it. On top of of course being a major Vader parallel.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two questions: two storm troopers are chatting and mention something like "the T37s are being retired." What was that a reference to? Clone troopers being phased out?

In one of the trailers I think there was a scene of dozens of rebel pilots surrendering. I know the film was edited a lot, but where would that have fit in? When the flagship was captured?

In ANH two stormtroopers are chatting on the Death Star while Obi sneaks around: "Have you seen the new T16?"

In TFA two stormtroopers are chatting on Starkiller Base while Rey sneaks around: "Have you seen the new T17?"

This time, two stormtroopers are chatting on Scarif and say "I hear the T15 is obsolete"

As far as references go I love these, because they don't get in the way at of the viewer (whether you get the gag or not) and they really betray that JJ and Gareth are complete nerds.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Radio! posted:

Also the thing about the Bothans is Mon Mothma's only memorable line so people think of it when they see her in this.

I think this is probably as good a theory as any, since A. The Bothans stole the DS2 plans and B. They didn't steal the DS2 plans, they uncovered the location:

Return of the Jedi posted:

MON MOTHMA
The Emperor has made a critical error and the time for our attack has
come.

This causes a stir. Mon Mothma turns to a holographic model of the
Death Star, the Endor moon and the protecting deflector shield in the
center of the room.

MON MOTHMA
The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoints the exact location
of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon
systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial
Fleet spread throughout the galaxy in a vain effort to engage us, it is
relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that
the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the
construction of this Death Star.

It's now apparent to me that the way to a sequel is to bring back the Rogue One cast but dress them up as goatpeople. Many Bothans: A Star Wars Story. Let's go

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

well why not posted:

Yeah, adding in the 70s dudes was a super cool move. It also helps that the aesthetic of 'pilot' is stuck in the 70s, anyways.

Poe needs a mustache in VIII.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The biggest quirks of the IV Vader mask are the red eyes, the more angled brown line, the small chin triangle. They cleaned it up in subsequent movies, ultimately making the III mask super perfect and symmetrical. Counting on someone here to add Little Orphan Ani lines to Vader's corridor massacre.

"I'll try spinning, that's a neat trick"

edit: also it's not confirmed but since we are in the VIII spoiler thread, it appears the Celebration badges may be our first look at Finn and Rey from VIII.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Right. It plays the same way as Return of the Jedi that could be referring to Luke, Anakin, the collective, any or all of that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crawl revealed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

MSW and SWNN have both started posting rumors and "an insider told me this" posts about Snoke, Kylo, del Toro, and Laura Dern. It sounds like the art design of TLJ is going to be much bolder than that of TFA. All that stuff is available on their sites and the Star Wars Leaks subreddit.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ewan-Obi is so great and builds into Alec-Obi so well. It's been pointed out in the thread before, but Old Ben is kind of a goofy trickster who is really good at dispensing and detecting bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k-941c-ZTc&t=78s

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bad BB Port of Call: Canto Bight

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The popular internet answer to that has been "Frank Marshall" but who knows

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Porgs

http://www.starwars.com/news/introducing-porgs-the-cute-new-creatures-from-star-wars-the-last-jedi

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

My middle school banned porgs because they were causing too many fights on the playground

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lucasfilm is hustling to take them down but the leaked character photos are cool.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If you look at Empire from the "total story" perspective it's also a huge detour if you want to think of it like that. The "main event" is just the rebellion evacuating Hoth and getting to their rally point in space. The two story threads are 1. What a long strange trip it's been trying to limp our space-van back home and 2. Fighter pilot goes on a spiritual retreat at a less than opportune time.

TLJ is going to rule. I've been expecting it to be awesome since Johnson was rumored to be attached in 2014.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quote this if you know that the word "porg(s)" is not going to be spoken aloud in Star Wars 8

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

That ship looks like something from the EU but I can't put my finger on it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quasar_Fire-class_bulk_cruiser

This came to mind. I swear only because they made a micro machine of it for the Truce at Bakura.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

At long last, David Lynch gets to direct the final film of a Star Wars trilogy.

Get ready for the most incredible sound design ever, and a scene where Luke Skywalker's head pops like balloon.

Came to post this. Correct this decades long mistake LFL. His calendar just opened up.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

Like I said in the Greenlighted thread, Laura Dern is already an established character in the SW universe, so he wouldn't even need to cast her. Maybe get Ray Wise, though. That'd be cool.

Ray Wise as Boss Nass Jr.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

clown shoes posted:

It seems the most likely scenario is to keep on Rainn from episode 8.

This was my first guess. If they are happy with him behind the scenes at this moment, I bet he'd be interested. JJ almost didn't take the gig because he didn't wanted to relocate to the UK for a year plus, but Rian might be game. Depends on whether they think they can find someone more profitable than RJ, who at this point is tried and most likely true.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Since it's picking up with Luke and Rey seconds later I guess pretty much everyone else in the story is packing up and running at that time.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gonna predict now that "porg(s)" will not be said in TLJ.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Who the gently caress is DJ?

Dengar Jr.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hux is going to deliver an impassioned speech in TLJ containing Snoke's Second Order: to "have a good time out there, guys"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

and yet over seven movies worth of crawls its one of the few lines anyone remembers

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Porgs banned from middle school playgrounds nationwide

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Millennials Are Killing Solo is old news

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Porg is an anagram of "prog". Who knows if Pink Floyd would love them?

It's also an anagram of "grop", a "morsel of cannabis suitable for gifting, borrowing, or stealing".

and by the way, which one's Porg

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mark has followed up by saying that he's not a writer, and that his ideas for Luke in TFA were also dumb.

The porgs are gonna be puppets sometimes and CG sometimes. As I recall, the fully rolling RC BB8 was finally completed and working at the end of filming so that video clip from Celebration is more or less its debut, but they said they were going to use it where possible in VIII

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Yeah dude we've all seen it so don't bother posting a link or anything, it's cool.

In all fairness there are like 5 star wars threads on SA and it's been posted in a couple of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0IR6fJlV0

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah he's basically the senior-most professor in the department that has had tenure for years and always finds a couple minutes at meetings to sardonically but uselessly comment on the subject at hand

edit: you definitely get the feeling that as the last member of the Big 3 he feels entitled/obligated to represent the original generation and also channel to sass of Harrison and Carrie

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 25, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lucas made ewoks because he wanted to have the Viet Cong fight the Evil Empire. And they don't do as good a job as everyone remembers, they get several fun/cool kills in but they just as often get smushed. Chewie commandeering a walker is the only way the fight is able to wrap.

The franchise fatigue is coming from inside the movie in Return of the Jedi. Also the matte paintings are bizarrely noticeable. When Disney announced an Episode every two years I wondered if that was enough time for one of these movies to percolate, but honestly, it's probably better than forcing all these kids to commit for a few more years and just be absolutely over it, visibly looking toward their next projects off camera in the final film.

If that trailer porg is a stowaway that ends up hanging out with Chewie for the final act of the film everyone is gonna be mad as heck

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's funny bc his mask was all over in the leadup to TFA and now it hardly featured in the TFA stuff. Maybe they planned it out like this, but it seems like they were hedging their bets on people liking Kylo and made a mistake in their favor, where the fanbase really took to him, mask aside. Kinda like the flipside of how they somehow didn't make enough Rey toys

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway, I realized the biggest missed opportunity in all of Star Wars. Instead of being an ice planet, they should have had Starkiller Base be a forest planet or even a rain forest planet and when the sun darkened to charge up the weapon it got colder until there was a blizzard that killed all the native life because they'd never experienced cold before.

Maybe that's what happened when they did a low power test shot. Find out when Rogue Three comes out in December 2023

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

P lagueis
O riginated
R ey &
G oes by
S noke now

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It wouldn't surprise at all if the next movie contradicted a "canon" novel; I can't imagine Disney has the least respect for those.

That isn't to say I wouldn't find it absolutely hilarious.

Porg Tattoo Man is one of like a dozen people who are in charge of canon, make of that what you will

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finn has passed the baton of Cool Dude Wielding the Darth Vader Lightsaber on a Poster to Luke Power Converters Skywalker.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kathy Kennedy has confirmed Baby Porg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The full interview reads like Driver is comparing his character to the princess in Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

• Locked thread