Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Rougey posted:

It could be that she's very sensitive to artefacts, able to see the past through them or feel their history.

[...]

I mean, we already know at locations can become dark side wounds in the force (i.e. the cave), so why not objects?

Also, there's a precedent in the Clone Wars series (and the comics - now Legends - before that): Quinlan Vos had pretty much that same ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Baron Bifford posted:

Last we checked Lando was one of the few black guys in the galaxy, so who else could be Finn's father?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

sinking belle posted:

I really liked how the dumbass robot arm library room/razor sphincter ladder/antenna control platform sequence was like an upside down and backwards Luke Leaving Cloud City, that was cool as hell

The "razor sphincter" also reminded me of this scene from the "Citadel" arc in Clone Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1kv4qjYPg

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

well why not posted:

There was a lot of reference to other fringe SW stuff. The movie has blue milk in it for god's sake.

I liked that in Saw's hideout, the guys are playing Dejarik with actual figures rather than holograms, because they're just that destitute. (Or maybe because the hologram projector is being used by the guy watching the dancing Twi'lek girl.)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nimby posted:

When they were listing all the project codenames, were those from extended universe stuff or just invented for that scene? I know only vague outlines about the EU being full of superweapons and doomsday devices, but no names.

Stellar Sphere, Mark Omega, Pax Aurora, War Mantle, Cluster Prism, Black Saber, Stardust.

The only one that comes close is "Black Saber". Darksaber from the old EU was basically a version of the Death Star stripped of everything but the superlaser.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Young Freud posted:

TBF, Genevieve O'Reilly has probably more screen time as Mon Mothma than Caroline Blakiston, given that she was also Mothma in Revenge Of The Sith.

Most of her scenes in RotS have been cut, but yes, she's played Mon Mothma before, and it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that she's aged a lot between Episodes 4 and 6, what with the stress of running the rebellion and the death of Manny Boffins.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been seeing this all over the internet and it's really interesting--the whole thing about the Bothans being involved in the DS1 plans and not DS2?

Is it because as kids we mostly liked watching RotJ to the exclusion of ANH so it bled into peoples' memories? Or is it an assumption that since they were involved in DS2 that it's natural to conclude they had a hand in DS1 too?

All Hutts are criminals, all Sullustans are pilots, all Bith are musicians, all Trandoshans are (bounty) hunters, ergo all Bothans are spies who steal Death Star plans.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Didn't he also like to wear fuzzy slippers on set or was that someone else?

That was him. Apparently the boots he had to wear were too uncomfortable after a while.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

Yeah, characters have made jokes before, but as far as I know this is the first straight up pun.

Vader has been sarcastic a lot
- "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"
- "We would be honored if you would join us"
- "Then perhaps you can tell him yourself"
but so far the only character indulging in puns has been C-3PO during the arena battle on Geonosis.
- "I'm quite beside myself"
- "This is such a drag"

Although I seem to remember a bit from the Revenge of the Sith script that was thankfully unused in the final film but I think made it into the novelization.
When Anakin goes to kill the Separatist leaders on Mustafar, there's an exchange along the lines of
"But Lord Sidious promised to leave us in peace!" to which Vader replies "No, he said he'd leave you in pieces"

There isn't an eyeroll emoticon big enough for all of this.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Soundtrack is on Spotify. It's quite underwhelming to be honest. Not actively bad, but few things that takes your attention.

I like "When has become now" because it invokes the Death Star/Imperial theme from ANH, which I always liked in its simplicity.

"Hope" is terrific. Even without the added epicness of a Vader tantrum.

David W. Collins, a former sound designer for LucasArts (and a guy who really knows his poo poo when it comes to music) has a semi-regular podcast where he dissects John Williams' Star Wars music and both shows and tells you what makes it so good. In the recent episode he analyses some of the themes from Rogue One:
http://www.rebelforceradio.com/shows/2016/12/21/star-wars-oxygen-vol-38-rogue-one-part-1
He picked out the most obvious tracks for this episode, and I'm curious to see whether he can get much out of the rest of the soundtrack.

If you're at all interested in Williams' soundtracks, you owe it to yourself to listen to the podcast from the beginning. The first handful of episodes or so go through the entire Episode IV score, and they're just treasure troves of information.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Like, how else do you explain casting Forest Whitaker and then he ends up with almost nothing to do.

Max von Sydow would like to have a word with you.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Jabba's dad had a sweet beard.

That's literally the only Hutt ever to have hair, and for some reason it makes my skin crawl. I guess back then they went by the novelization of ROTJ, which claimed Jabba's hair had fallen out due to a combination of diseases.
Now I'm not a fan of "every member of a Star Wars species has to look and act like the one example we see in the movies", but this is one case where I support the argument: I'd rather not imagine hairy Hutts. A thin Hutt, sure, go ahead, but hairy? Somehow that disturbs me.
(In the Clone Wars series you had a few Hutts wearing wigs, but at least those were made from living starfish creatures...)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

A couple of LEGO sets leaked, got some new character deets out of them

Of note:

Now, Pimp Snoke isn't actually a new leak (MSW reported on it at the top of the year), but the somewhat-normal skin tone and build is interesting.

I can practically see Snoke offering Rey and Luke a shmoke and a pancake.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Gimmedaroot posted:

Is it true they are making a Han Solo film because of the popularity of Firefly? Why so soon after Harrison Ford's exit?

Much as I love Firefly, I don't think it was ever mainstream enough for movie executives to go "We need to do that, but in Star Wars".

As for the "why so soon", I think it has been in development for quite some time. And who knows, maybe it's to keep the character alive and valid in the public consciousness. If this one is a success, I could well imagine a few more Young Han Solo movies in the future. He's an adventurous guy, and there are a lot of hijinx that we know of that could each fill their own movie:
- Winning the Falcon from Lando: Buddy movie
- Freeing Chewbacca: War/adventure movie
- Working for Jabba and losing the shipment: Gangster/heist movie
Sure, they could cram all of this into one movie (and likely will), but from a marketing perspective, Han Solo is a goldmine.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So spoil me gents. Waht does chewbacca's dick look like?

Lumpy and Itchy.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I don't watch the show but I think those owl things were shown off in Rebels. Does anybody know what they do without me having to watch one of those horrible Star Wars lore videos?

Different bird.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Convor
According to TFN, the new bird species is called "Porg".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Those little birds from Rebels are in the movie. :o

Different birds.
The birds in the Clone Wars show are called Convoree:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Convor

Apparently, this is a "Porg":

But it would have been cool if they had used the same birds.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Canemacar posted:

Is everyone forgetting that was the entire reason we got Ewoks? They're just staying true to the spirit of the original trilogy.

I can't wait to see those little buggers tear apart a squadron of First Order troopers.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

He may not look like much, but he's got it where it counts.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
The fat X-Wing pilot from Episode 4 is going to be retconned to be spelled Porgins.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
"We are the Porg, resistance is futile"?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Forum Joe posted:

Also, CGI Yoda is bad and the dissonance removed me from the film (just like Tarkin in Rogue One).

Pretty sure he was a puppet, with CGI additions. I'm sure I saw "Yoda puppeteers" mentioned in the credits.

The whole thing with the books was very subtle and I liked it. Luke going to burn the books and hesitating, Yoda taking the decision out of his hands and thereby showing him that he would still be willing to run into the flames to save them, only to show at the end that Rey had already taken them. Nicely done.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Fart City posted:

Ah, right. Machete Order.

Where did you put TPM in? After ESB?

I think the Machete Order is too extreme, but 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6 does have some advantages:

- it preserves the "I am your father" surprise
- it preserves the "the kindly Chancellor is really the evil Emperor" surprise (such as it is)
- you introduce what's basically a three-movie flashback at Luke's lowest moment, making the ending of TESB one hell of a cliffhanger
- the "prequel flashback" introduces the threat of the Emperor, which gives non-familiar viewers even more concern for Luke once we re-enter the timeline in ROTJ ("this barely trained kid is going to go up against THAT guy?")
- the "prequel flashback" also humanizes Vader more, making Luke's decision to find the good in him (and Vader's return to the light side) even more relatable (not saying that it seemed unrelatable in the first place...)
- finally, for what it's worth, Anakin's reappearance as a Force ghost at the end of ROTJ is a sweet recall to the character the viewers spent two whole movies with.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

I like how we're pretending that there's any spoilers to save from Star Wars considering its ubiquity in popular culture over the last forty years.

My kid is just beginning to grasp the possibility that this "Star Wars" thing may in fact not be the tale of how some angry birds fought against some green pigs.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

George Lucas, 1977 Corky Romanovsky, 2018: gently caress, we don't have any shooting locations that are the space above a gas giantthing to contribute....... let's just make it look like poo poo derail the thread so no one thinks we're dumb

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

TLJ is available on some service right now...god the salt planet duel has laughable cg

Yeah, they even forgot to add Luke's foot traces in the salt. I hope someone got fired for that.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Nah, I figure he'll weasel his way out of death right up until the end where he's unceremoniously met with a spaceship in the face or something.

He does look a little weasley.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

*loud Wookie groaan*

Unfortunately it appears that there will of course be scenes at the Cantina on Tatooine in "Solo."

Let's just hope it's done tastefully and doesn't literally loving end up there at the end of the film like Rogue One...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssptKSsiBlQ

I sat through that whole video, and at no point during Tom Spina's bit did they mention that the cantina creatures will actually be in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Didn't the Falcon show up in ROTS?

Would that make Solo the first big retcon given the appearance of it?

A YT-1300 is seen flying into a hangar in ROTS, and another one is two more are standing around on an airfield in AOTC, but I don't think any official sources said that either one was canonically supposed to be the Falcon.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 6, 2018

• Locked thread