Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why are are all the spaceships in the trailers not fighting in space?

The attack on Starkiller Base should have some space stuff at the very least; rumor has it that Leia and Ackbar deploy a bunch of experimental ships versus the First Order's Star Destroyers in orbit and basically kick rear end, but it's all rendered moot when Hux uses the Array to clear the airspace above the base. Only Poe's Black Squadron makes it through to save the day, hence that shot of the ships dogfighting above the icy trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And here's a synopsis that is significantly more up-to-date, includes info from the latest trailers, pictures, etc.

VVVVvvvVVVV edit: The latter, I believe (see: the "confidence" level being 80%). Doesn't read too badly, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cross-posting from the other thread:

concept art ship noooooo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

As was Star Trek 09, with the destruction of Romulus, Spock Prime and his jellyfish ship, etc. That post-Nemesis event is basically responsible for the creation of the Reboot universe (and now I'm eerily reminded of comic storylines); it's not too much of a logical leap to regard it as a sequel.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Besides what we hear in this TV spot, they've been keeping the score under lock and key; it's rather impressive given that we're seeing all manner of things leaking at this point.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

gohmak posted:

So nothing from the original score yet.

Basically, and it is killing me.

I NEED THE WILLIAMS

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Alexandre Desplat's confirmed to be doing the score for Rogue One after teaming with the director on Godzilla.

Gonna be weird hearing a different composer on a Star Wars film (though we've kind of already gotten it with Joel McNeely and his surprisingly-listenable Shadows of the Empire score).

Here's hoping that Desplat adopts at least the motif-based component of Williams's scores, because both Godzilla and the HP Deathly Hallows scores were pretty bleh from what I can remember.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hi Raid dudes :neckbeard:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm guessing that she hasn't gotten to the Mortis arc yet? They layer the foreshadowing on pretty thickly in that.

Also, EW has some high-res pics of Snoke (and Maz) for the folks upthread who wanted some not-camripped ones of him.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here, kids, have an A-Wing:

also british royalty and luke skywalker but gently caress THEM, SPACESHIPS

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

After everything which has come out in the last 24 hours, it seems like most of the Makingstarwars report has been proven wrong, from the people he said were involved not actually being involved to the extent of the reshoots being done not actually being as extensive as what he claimed.

With this report from EW's Anthony Breznican (who is more or less Lucasfilm's unofficial liason to the press at this point) definitively closing the book on the "film is in serious trouble" narrative.

EW article posted:

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source on the project.

In other words, the changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines. “It’s a lot of talking in cockpits,” as one insider described the new footage.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

https://vid.me/nUmJ

Click if you want to be frustrated. The guy films only the upper right corner of the screen for most of the trailer and almost all the shots we do see are recycled from the first teaser. I assume that a high quality version will be put up tonight or tomorrow.

Here's a marginally-better-shot cam version, though it turns out that we were only missing out on mostly more recycled shots (though there is a new shot of the 4-winged shuttle I didn't notice previously). Favorite part of the whole thing is still the use of Episode IV music at the beginning.

Speaking of Episode IV, this hasn't gotten nearly enough love:

https://vimeo.com/174847477

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They literally call him "Grand Admiral Thrawn" in the trailer, though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Frame of said trailer where Bail Organa was spotted:

Looks like the guy for sure.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 16, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

From a recent R1 creature featurette:

Spot the spoiler! :haw:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 5, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

As an addendum, here's a screengrab from the very first teaser:

To be fair, the "Vader's in the bacta tank" theory is as old as this image is, but it's still cool to see it potentially validated.

Fezz posted:

Is the spoiler that it's all fake and none of it is real?

No, the real spoiler is that we're all fake, and Star Wars is the only real thing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm totally with you in that it doesn't make a ton of sense for Vader to be in such a position; I've seen ruminations on the level that Vader is being "activated" by Palpatine to go and retrieve the plans, which is somewhat mystifying as he's pretty much free-roaming in Tarkin and Rebels.

The way the latter's been going, however, I wouldn't be surprised if something may happen in that show that would justify Vader being placed in a bacta tank, with his recovery coinciding with R1. That said, he did survive a Sith superweapon exploding mostly-unscathed in last season's finale, so :shrug:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

wyoming posted:

Was that the one where Maul stole his TIE?
I love that episode if only because most of it is them arguing if they can trust the dude that looks like space-satan or not.

something something 2016 election metaphor

Also I think Maul stole one of the Inquisitors' TIEs

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tracklist for the R1 soundtrack; sadly, Giacchino was only able to sneak 1 or 2 puns in:

quote:

1. He's Here For Us
2. A Long Ride Ahead
3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
4. Trust Goes Both Ways
5. When Has Become Now
6. Jedha Arrival
7. Jedha City Ambush
8. Star-Dust
9. Confrontation on Eadu
10. Krennic's Aspirations
11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope
12. Rogue One
13. Cargo Shuttle SW-0608
14. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet
15. AT-ACT Assault
16. The Master Switch
17. Your Father Would Be Proud
18. Hope
19. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite
20. The Imperial Suite
21. Guardians of the Whills Suite

Originated from here though they have since taken the tracklist down.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Everything involving Vader + the final moments of the movie from a guy who got invited to a fan screening.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 13, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Partial developer, he mainly worked on the superlaser and the kyber crystals powering it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So does Red 2, at a certain point. They don't call it out but I definitely noticed a X-Wing with two red slashes on the s-foil getting blown up during one of the space shots.

Fits with Wedge's "look at the size of that thing" seeing as he wouldn't have seen the Death Star over Scarif.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 17, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some actual (possible) spoilers for the spoiler thread:

MakingStarWars posted:

If you recall, last week we shared some information about these little avian creatures on Ahch-To in Star Wars: Episode VIII. These birds were said to be “protectors of Ahch-To.” When the puppets were being described to me last summer, certain things like their sharp teeth stood out to me that I never saw in the a Star Wars design. But they also made me not consider it was a bird-like creature we had seen before. Many of you asked me if the “Puffins” were “Convorees”. I thought about it and dug a little.

It appears highly likely we will be seeing convorees in Star Wars: Episode VIII. The sources that got back to me so far have said that’s the gist of the design, however, “leave some room open for the animated shows’ interpretation.” Without having seen the designs myself at this point, I think that’s about as good as I can do to confirm we will see convoree in Star Wars: Episode VIII.

This could change everything. Speculation follows below. It will either be a fun exercise in speculation of a tiny detail or something really big. We just don’t know yet.

Convorees have shown up in Star Wars Rebels at pivotal moments. Sometimes it is subtle. One sits on the shoulders of the Bendu when he meets the Jedi and Maul. In Mystery of Chopper Base, Ezra Bridger who has been interfacing with wildlife, struggles with the power, but then he looks up to the sky to see a convor flying over his head. In the same scene Ahsoka Tano appears and says “In my experience, just when you think you understand the Force, you find out how little you actually know.” Later, after Ashoka fights Darth Vader, we see a convor after the fight, showing us once again that these creatures glimpsed something important.

More speculation at the link; could be a nice bit of continuity if they follow through.

fake edit: Also some Rian comments out of a badly-formatted USA Today article:

USA Today posted:

Remember that Star Wars: The Force Awakens cliffhanger with new heroine Rey (Daisy Ridley) bringing Jedi master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) his old lightsaber on a remote intergalactic island? Writer/director Rian Johnson is picking up right where they left off in the beginning of the Star Wars saga’s still-untitled next chapter. “I don’t want to skip ahead two years,” Johnson says. “I want to see the very next moment of what happens.” How Rey and Luke relate to each other is the key relationship in Episode VIII, and Johnson says “a large part of the movie” will be spent addressing why Luke’s there and what he’ll do next. Like Luke, Rey has been pulled into a bigger world by connecting with the Force, “but part of what’s she’s dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift,” Johnson adds. “She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.” Another cliffhanger: How General Leia might figure in the film in light of Carrie Fisher’s death last month.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I did, like two pages ago! Nobody bit. :(

Apparently ol' Rian's had the title on lock since the first draft, though!

USA Today posted:

Episode VIII already has a title.
The director knows it. In fact, he’s had it locked in his mind ever since he started working on Episode VIII a couple of years ago. “It was in the very first draft I wrote,” Johnson says. So how bad does he want to get that big secret off his chest? “I’ll just blurt it out right now!” he jokes. “All in good time, my friend.”

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Spoilers for the ultimate fate of one J. J. Binks, as revealed in the final Aftermath book, Empire's End:

In the post-RotJ era, ol' Jar Jar's a street clown entertaining orphaned children on Naboo. He's described as a pariah among adults of even his own species and at that, one who feels remorse for essentially kick-starting that whole 'Empire' thing back in Clones.

[insert poetry quip here]

bonus spoiler:
oh and Rax ain't no Snoke

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That was last night.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I do miss having them released on May 4th.

:confused:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A couple of LEGO sets leaked, got some new character deets out of them

Of note:

Now, Pimp Snoke isn't actually a new leak (MSW reported on it at the top of the year), but the somewhat-normal skin tone and build is interesting.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Damage control incoming.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A big ol' shot of a pinball board, featuring some characters and creatures you probably haven't seen before:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Would be pretty dope if the rebels released a poo poo load of porgs into the air as the enemy fighters were being deployed to simulate bird strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSlbHK07fkY&t=105s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0MB4CVvkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0vvYHuA10U

where do you think chewie's leading them :unsmigghh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gorilla walkers

and the mega destroyer

The latter looks like some kind of badass orbital gun platform and I'm digging it

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And it has... two?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why no I'm not making X-Wing sounds with my mouth why do you ask

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Best speculation I'm hearing is that Holdo folds the Resistance back into what remains of the Republic's military forces, meaning that Poe would be reinstated with his old rank of Captain.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They asked Rian first but he declined because he couldn't commit the necessary time to jump right into Episode 9 pre-production while there's still so much to do with Episode 8.

The film's completely finished, actually.

Still, can't blame the dude for wanting to take it easy.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Remulak posted:

Lol if you think that production finished means that the film is done.

I mean, yeah.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/911055570106331136

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Porgs are a product of Rian Johnson seeing a flock of puffins on Skellig Michael and thinking "Hey maybe we should have those but Star Wars"

quote:

“Are you sick of them yet?” Johnson asks with a laugh. The porgs, he explains, were inspired by the actual puffins that inhabit Skellig Michael, the island off the coast of Ireland that served as the location for Luke’s hermitage. “I was like, ‘Oh, this is part of the island; we need to find the Star Wars version of this,” the director explains. “And then just story-wise — not that they play a big part in the story — but I knew I wanted to find any source of comic relief I could on the island. And so they were very useful in terms of that.”

Also they're apparently hunted for food by the lizard-bird nuns

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 13, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when people flipped their poo poo at BB-8 in the first teaser because they thought it was CGI? And then JJ came out and basically told them they were wrong and to shut the gently caress up?

Not just told them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_K10fX9DSY

It eventually came out that film BB was indeed mostly CG/puppet on a track but this is still a fun clip just for the fans audibly losing their poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's great. If Johnson wrote a script that pissed off Mark Hamill, I'd consider it a good thing.

Yeah, considering this is the guy who thought it’d be a novel idea for Luke to turn dark at the end of RotJ (even going so far to suggest that Luke don Vader’s helmet to signify that) it’s probably a good thing that Rian wrote something that conflicts with his idealized version of the character.

Remember, actors having creative control isn’t always something to strive for, that’s how we got dune buggy Picard in Star Trek Nemesis. :gonk:

• Locked thread