Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
While it's possible that Rey and Kylo are Luke's kids I'm much more inclined to believe what many others have already speculated, that they are Han and Leia's, simply because with Luke questions would be raised as to who their mother was whereas Han and Leia are already an established couple. Plus the fact that being Leia's kids gives them the Skywalker legacy anyway, sharing Anakin as a grandfather.

I wonder though if Kylo's turn to the Dark Side either on his own or guided by Snoke and subsequent obsession with Vader is even more personal than his sense of familial connection. Abrams did an interview about Kylo where he states that Kylo assumed at least the name Ren when he joins the Knights of Ren. If the Knights are Sith themselves or even just a bunch of Sith-worshipping culty weirdos it would make sense for them to take 2 assumed names in Sith style - title and name, so Kylo could be an assumed name akin to Vader. I'm not sure how I feel about them using dumb EU stuff but might it make sense if Kylo's birth name was Anakin just so as to give him that extra obsessive boost into thinking of himself as the heir to Vader. I think it would be a pretty reasonable name choice for Leia to name her son given that Luke would have told her that their father was redeemed in the end by saving Luke and throwing the Emperor down the shaft.

I think Kylo's obsession with Vader and therefore Anakin's lightsaber is a good enough hook to get the plot rolling but I'm more interested in the Lightsabers past - it would seem from the vision Maz gives to Rey that Maz herself and Kylo have a past with it but I hope there's a better explanation for how the Lightsaber came to be tumbling down towards Jakku where a Skywalker awaits it other than "the Force".

Also I'm not sure about Finn being force-sensitive. Having a crisis of conscience as a Stormtrooper and running about with Poe, Rey and Han doesn't require him to be force-sensitive. Doesn't it make more sense that he isn't force-sensitive given that he is outmatched by Kylo in their duel in the forest and it is the force user Rey who comes in to save Finn.

Overall I'm inclined to believe the speculative synopsis on Making Star Wars, seems like it will make for a good movie. But I am still intrigued as to who Snoke is - I always thought he would be a Palpatine clone, the internet would have me believe he's Darth Jar Jar but I really like the Darth Plagueis and the Quest for Immortality idea. Would tie things together nicely. Couldn't they do a convincing Muun in prosthetics though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah the "our destiny" thing is a pretty telling line.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

The latest synopsis claims Kylo is Hans son and Rey is Luke's daughter but I'm more inclined to think they are siblings rather than cousins. As to whether they're the kids of Luke or Leia, I'm not too sure at this point.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I doubt he will die but it could be Finn as in the climactic battle with Kylo, according to all the speculation summaries, Finn will go down injured as Kylo is too much for him and then Rey will defeat him because she's a super special skywalker.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Danger posted:

This debate was raging in the other thread yesterday but wasn't really ideal to discuss at length due to spoilers: if the accepted plot synopsis is accurate this movie is so clearly a remake.

edit: It's a remake that's a reboot.

Even with knowledge of the the spoilers I still don't see how anyone thinks this is a remake or a reboot. It's a sequel. A sequel with extremely similar themes and plot structure where the new young characters are almost surrogates for the old ones but still very clearly a sequel.

• Locked thread