Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Eiba posted:

Though putting it that way... perhaps she just gets told it had been used to kill dozens of children by Darth Vader. That would be a sympathetic motive for not touching the thing.
It could be that she's very sensitive to artefacts, able to see the past through them or feel their history.

Assuming that Ren and Rey are twins, he may have the same ability, hence his collecting fetish and also explaining how he turned. For example, Ren gets his hands on Vadars Headgear and the thing twists him, so he starts seeking more Sith artifacts (i.e. The mask of Revan, Darth Banes sabre, Palpatines bath slippers) cobbling together knowledge of the dark side based on what he see's and feels from the objects.

So he's not actually a Sith taught by a master, essentially Ren's just some fanboy whose been reading the force equivalent of Wikipedia – it's why his Sabre is all messed up, having built it based of what he saw in the visions from fondling objects.

Rey touches Anakins Sabre and knows instantly that it was used to go postal on kids/sandpeople/separatists. Remembering what touching Vadars mask did to her brother she doesn't want to hold the bloody thing, let alone use it.

I mean, we already know at locations can become dark side wounds in the force (i.e. the cave), so why not objects?

Finn, who is as deaf as Luke was to its history, becomes the proverbial ringbearer.

Ren of course wants the Sabre so he can get off to visions of Vadars killing kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Now we’re really going off the EU deep end.

That said, feel obliged to mention The Exile.

Guess what they did.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

She's psychometric. She can learn expert laser sword skills from holding a laser sword.

I think it's more than she can feel the history of the item and let the force guide her.

Also explains why she didn't want to touch the thing to begin with, given that it was used to murdered a bunch of toddlers at one point.

• Locked thread