Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generally, I wonder if the people focusing on how pathetic Ren is in comparison to Vader realize that:

1) That's literally the point

and

2) Vader's first appearance has him as Tarkin's glorified pit bull who gets sent spinning off into space like an 80's cartoon villain at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rey never fucks up, except these three or four times she unambiguously fucks up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't even see how Rey does anything "faster" to be honest. I mean I guess she figured out the Jedi mind trick. But the end of ANH has Luke out flying Vader, and that's something Anakin is expressly supposed to be great at.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

On the "Rey is a Mary Sue" debacle, what about Poe?

He is unfailingly kind to a stormtrooper, his enemy, and needs little convincing to trust him. His skills are pumped up and praised by multiple characters. He succeeds at multiple things, is a point of inspiration to Finn after their separation, and the only things he fails at is avoiding torture. His role in the climax is, essentially, to do what Luke Skywalker did WITHOUT the force to help him. He literally has no personal flaws.

Is he a Mary Sue? Of frikking course not.

But the fact that the character gets nothing but praise to the point people say he should be given more focus or even be the actual main character WHILE this poo poo is being slung about Rey is rather telling.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

He's just a fun, nice guy. He had a few moments to shine but he's already established and not a main character. I think the difference with Rey is that we just get shown that she knows how to pilot a falcon, becomes a force adept etc. It could be jarring, but I figure there's some sort of reason in the story for those choices.

I guarantee you that if Poe were a lady and had those same qualities that they'd be getting criticism.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Poe isn't a misogynist, his entitlement comes from him thinking he's entitled to the information because he's got heroic gumption.

Holdo is under no obligation to share compartmentalized information with a demoted officer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess Luke's planet is kind of grey and oppressively overcast, but. Hey, that's literally part of the mood for a lot of his scenes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yoda would have been a puppet when they watched TPM as a kid. A much more ugly and less convincing one than they used in the OT in fact. The actual CGI in the updated re-release is one of the rare instances where it's more convincing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

Rian was not giving the fans what they wanted. Post-prequels, the common fan perception was that Lucas had gotten the Jedi wrong, that the Jedi should've seen Sidious under their noses (the RLM point about testing Sheev's blood for midichlorians, for example), that they played no part in Anakin's fall, and so on. Probably the only EU writer who understood maybe what Lucas was doing with the Jedi was Traviss, and she might've gone too far in her 'gently caress the Jedi' demagoguery. The fan perception you're talking about has only really started being taken seriously in the past few years*, and typically only in places like CD. Even now, when I say what you said about the Jedi to people who are 'Star Wars fans', they basically act like it's heresy.

This is done in Clone Wars, and it's considered one of the best arcs of the show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The one where Bariss Offee turns against the order under the belief they've become corrupted by militarization, before she bombs the jedi temple, framing Ahsoka, which ultimately results in her renouncing the Jedi despite being welcomed back with open arms due to their refusal to stand by her. The ending has Ahsoka jaded with the Jedi's teaching and begrudgingy realizing Barris had a point, as well as contributing to Anakin's disillusionment with the Council.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, yes. And that's why the movie has Luke decide not to be "the last Jedi". TCW and other material are on that side too, they just didn't ignore the flaws and problems and at least toyed with the question and showed that change was needed.

It doesn't have to be binary.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Remember, Luke’s first use of the force was to guide a bunch of missiles down a miles long shaft while flying a spaceship at hundreds of miles per hour for the first time.

Rey did a mind trick and pulled a lightsaber a few feet before beating up an angry guy who’d been shot beforehand.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's made very clear that Rey needs to fight to survive (thus explaining why she's able to fight better than Luke did at first, a good pilot, etc.) and that she wants desperately to be a part of something or find a place to belong. I don't think it's really the storytelling's fault in this case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure Christians appropriated a lot of pagan things, up to and including our major holidays. Merlin may not be religious canon but to say he's not a character appropriated by and interpreted through a Christian lens is missing the mark.

Also, in the context of Star Wars, "mutant powers" and spirituality are one and the same. That was Lucas's exact intention with the midichlorians, as clumsy as their introduction was.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not really disagreeing with you Hodgepodge, I'm responding to some of BravestOfLamps' points about Obi wan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think that everyone died on the FO ship, honestly. Much of the base seemed to have functional life support. You can't even claim everyone in the vicinity of the cleave is dead because Finn and Rose were close to ground zero of that and they made it out okay.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man goes undercover in clothes he owns for the sake of undercover things.

There's been less justified kinds of fanservice in movies.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They reference nothing. They were created for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Because Disney spent billions of dollars on Star Wars and Marvel made them think they could just keep putting out movies without worrying about diminishing returns.

Solo is projected for a 170 million dollar opening weekend so that's likely still not something they're worried about

• Locked thread