Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Maybe Rey is younger than Kylo and was sent to Luke very young, and both are Han and Leia's. Kylo Vaders the temple and Luke thinks Rey is killed too, tells Han and Leia, and leaves. She doesn't find her way home for whatever reason or thinks her barely remembered parents are also dead. When Rey meets Han she is just some girl that looks like maybe what his dead daughter would have looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Also possible Kylo is so obsessed with Vader be intentionally spares toddler Rey and drops her off on a desert planet to get raised by Uncle Von Sydow so she can play Luke to his Vader later. Which explains her not wanting to touch the saber.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Entertainment Weekly posted:

Rey was ditched on Jakku by her family when she was a child and has no idea why — or why they never returned. “She’s been alone for a long time,” Ridley says. "When something occurs when you’re 5, you know what went on but you don’t understand the reasoning."

Assuming she is indeed Han and Leia's kid, why would they abandon her? Dropped off by family means dropped off by older brother Kylo after he killed the rest of the Jedi day-care, but spared his blood. This is why Snoke doesn't want Kylo to be sentimental, he's displayed that tendency before. Rey was sent to Luke's academy at a very very young age because her parents are still out Star Warsing. The force is with her, but its also presumably safer for her with her uncle at the hidden Jedi Academy. Rey was too little to know anything other than her brother burst into the room, probably bloody, and took her away, presumably for her protection. Also, Kylo's temple massacre reflects his idol Vader's. It is possible he was something like 15 at the time, assuming the rain image is the Maz Kanata flashback, and is now 30-ish, Rey would then be 20-ish.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Entertainment Weekly posted:

But Adam Driver says every villain has an internal battle. “When you break all of those things down, really it’s just because someone wasn’t loved enough or felt betrayed,”

Mama and Papa Solo left us here with boring old pacifist Uncle Luke because they love Star Wars more than they love us. If only Uncle Luke would let me go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters I could help mom and dad win the Star Wars. These Star Wars are my real mom and dad.

Some old guy named Snoke at Tosche Station told me about how Uncle Luke killed Grandpa. I always wondered why he wouldn't talk about those days. Looks like he killed him so he couldn't complete a prophecy, too. I always knew I was important, and that's probably why they hid me away, so I wouldn't find out about my destiny. Parents just don't understand.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Everyone keeps asking how Star Killer base moves around. Why does it need to move around? Surely it doesn't hang out IN the star systems it is blowing up. Besides the real world science problems, why can't it just destroy star systems from where it is? Just shoot a mega laser from its own system across the galaxy to the target. This also makes it less vulnerable, like an ICBM instead of a long range bomber.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

gohmak posted:

Considering how quickly poo poo changes in Star Wars universe I'm sure by the time it takes for the blast to reach the enemy star, the conflict would have been forgotten into legend.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Besides the real world science problems

If ships can travel at hyperspeed why can't super lasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Shattered Empire comics and some novels (I've only read the former) seem to indicate that Poe is Leia's godson. His parents are rebels that muster out of the Rebellion after some close calls in follow-up action after Return of the Jedi. His father goes on several spec ops missions with Han and his mother teams up with Leia and Luke on separate occasions. In the issue with Leia, there are several close calls that have Shara Bey (Poe's mom) telling Leia she wouldn't want the princess to have to deliver news of her death to her husband; Leia says she won't have to. The sense is very much that Leia feels responsible for these people, and since they've just had a kid, everyone keeps pushing them to go ahead and muster out, they've done their part, etc. They settle on Yavin IV after they finally give in to raise their son. They also have one of a pair of force-attuned saplings Luke rescued from Imperial clutches. If Poe's parents die in later aftermath stuff I could see Leia looking after Poe.

• Locked thread