Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So less movie spoilers and more spoiling and sense of actually creating an enjoyable or useful conversation. I guess I misunderstood the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Viller posted:

"C'mon baby don't let me down"

Falcon crash landing on Starkiller after the jump into the atmosphere...

Noooooooooooo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

No... No... Thats impossible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh, hi, Han.

Would pay money for that movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thank goodness Han and Leia have been just faffing around doing jack poo poo about their murderous son until this movie started so we could have some bullshit pathos!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good thing they signed Harrison ford on for this so that Han can literally do nothing and have no point other than to show up and get killed for some kind of shallow 'emotional impact'

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Calling it right now:

Rey and Anakin will have parallel stories. The point of this one is that Luke will succeed where Kenobi failed.
Rey is the key piece of the bad guys evil plot, but she will succeed where Anakin jacked up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hardflip posted:

luke upgraded r2 with a force adapter

Force dongle.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Track 5 is a loving spaceballs pun. That is amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ApexAftermath posted:

If you want to watch Vader wreck poo poo at the end of the film here ya go. Not sure how long this will remain up.

Vader wrecking Rebels

I thought it would be way more stalker-y and less a godlike monster playing with kids. Still cool and probably makes sense fitting in with the whole BROKEN ROBOT MAN IN CONSTANT PAIN thing, but...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They really needed to just chop the whole father storyline entirely. It was a giant waste of time on a character that was just completely flat(Jyn, I mean. Mads is charisma incarnate. Probably should have just given him the lead role.) Give that time to the other characters who are desperate for SOME kind of characterization. I love Forrest, but chop all that poo poo out, too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zikan posted:

Mads had that hologram monologue which was the worst part of the movie full stop

Worse than the speech at the Rebel base? I dunno. The writing in general was very amateur hour in places.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Jyn: "Rebellions are built on hope!"
Voice from back of room: "OH GO gently caress YOURSELF!"

The End.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hodgepodge posted:

B...but that sounds awesome?

Seriously. I'd pay my $12 to watch that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't know it, but I love it.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trioculus

EU is bad.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

basic hitler posted:

the thread doesn't have to die in between spoiler posts and baseless speculation/rumor yall. There is no news, sorry you had to read posts.

I'm sorry too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Captain Splendid posted:

But Sith Lords were supposed to be his speciality :ohdear:

You heard it in your brain: SPEH SHEE AH LEE TEE

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Barudak posted:

Jodorowsky is still alive so its just a long list for second choice.

I would give up movies forever if I could have a five hour Jodorowsky Star Wars epic be my last.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

El Burbo posted:

I can't find this guy threatening

IM IN HERE.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My sister in law liked it. Her review was "I liked it, everyone was so cute."

This causes me a bit of reflexive anger, because while it can certainly be stated that Star Trek has some scientific and drat near literary legitimacy from time to time, the cheesecake cute people factor was certainly in full effect. I mean you can sort girls into KIRK or SPOCK girls for a reason.

thrawn527 posted:

5 gains a lot of goodwill with me based solely on "What does God need with a starship?" And some genuinely great acting from Deforest Kelley. But it's a complete poo poo show outside of that.

5 has like four or five really amazing moments, but geez, what a mess otherwise. I mean once you read, "According to William Shatner, the film's main plot themes and elements were inspired by the televangelist movement of the late 1980s." you get more of a sense of oh, I guess that IS what they were doing, but...

And Deforest Kelley was always too drat good for Star Trek, which is not at all an indictment of the series, he was just always the best part of it.

edit: but I'd preorder a directors cut of V.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electromax posted:

...so you can fire all the SPOCK girls into the sun!

Highly illogical.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The whole porg thing just feels really fuckin' forced. Even in the STAR WARS context. People are just way too willing to latch onto any drat thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

They probably have no idea what the giant goofy toy commercial they just made means.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It doesn't really matter. Rey is such a non-character that it's painful. She makes Luke look complex and nuanced.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sweet geek swag posted:

The porg stuff is mostly played out, but this was pretty good.

Also remember that Return of the Jedi is a movie where a slave girl in a see through outfit gets fed to a monster for the crime of not wanting to get raped by a giant slug alien.

#metoo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I think it's less GIVES NO FUCKS and more IS AN ACTUAL PERSON who doesn't constantly run a SALESMAN filter whenever the talks about Star Wars. He's just being honest, but he still loves it, loves what he's doing, and wants people to enjoy it.

He's totally right about the scene in the snow with the lightsaber, having Luke show up right then, maybe somehow triggered by Han dying, would have been an amazing entrance and people would have lost their poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Milky Moor posted:

Sounds like it would've fit TFA perfectly then.

Yeah, I am not sure how that would be discordant with the rest of the movie. Not like it was some kind of tightly plotted masterpiece where every element was logical.

Maybe Luke's purposefully been severing himself from the Force for decades and isn't as strong as he used to be. That's why he lives out on a rocky island away from everything, if the Force flows through all living things, isolate yourself in a mostly dead place. But Rey is and managed to take over after Kylo knocks Luke out or something. Who knows, there's 100 bullshit possibilities that are just as "good" as anything else in TFA.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Schwarzwald posted:

There would be something ironic about having the First Order spending all it's resources tracking down Luke only for him to have been hiding in their literal backyard the whole time.

Oh I would figure he'd have had to travel from somewhere, it would be just too much for his lightsaber AND him to be on the same planet. Unless... he had been waiting for someone to arrive... O_O

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is it super cliche and dumb to make the statement that there's more actual thinking and proper criticism and storytelling re: Star Wars in this thread than in all the meeting rooms at Fox ever?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
[quote="“spacetoaster”" post="“478369628”"]
There’s a scene in the wing commander movie where everyone has to be really quiet on their spaceship so the enemy scanners can’t pick them up.
[/quote]

With Juergen Prochnow ffs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hodgepodge posted:

That's got to be satire.

From what I recall of that movie, it's not unlikely. Is it worth a rewatch?

It's absolutely serious and outed Chris Roberts as a dude who just copy/pastes cool things he sees and enjoys into his own work without any kind of value add. Wing Commander might seriously be the worst movie ever made.

This kind of sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9F4WuCcvA

And IIRC, there's a scene where they have to.... push a crippled fighter off the deck and "over the side" and it falls away like on an aircraft carrier. Yeah....

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The hundreds of hours of Star Wars games I've played over the years, starting with TIE FIGHTER, have made me so loving sick of every single piece of music in the franchise.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Guys, I didn't think TFA was really that good but uh, I am not sure how this happened, but I think Adam Driver is absolutely the redeeming center in the whole mess.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HannibalBarca posted:

John Boyega is a great actor but I'm still not sure what I was supposed to get out of Finn's character. Is he a brainwashed Janissary slave-soldier raised from birth rebelling against his conditioning? Because he seems a lot more like a sort of wacky everyman trying to get out of the army he was drafted into last week.

This. Boyega was perfectly fine, but his character doesn't make a lot of sense based on what we've been told about him, and what we've seen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

disjoe posted:

I don't think you need EU exposure to be upset about Snoke.

I think killing Snoke so unceremoniously is dumb. As an audience member watching TFA I want to know more about the mysterious deformed man that makes himself huge via projection and is obsessed with finding Luke Skywalker. It's not some clever twist, it's just a bait and switch. Snoke could've easily been replaced with some random former Imperial officer and Kylo Ren could've trained himself.

Yeah. It's yet another example of building something up, but then having no idea how to capitalize and really make something out of it. All foreplay and frustration, no sweet, sweet release.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OctoberCountry posted:

I think a lot of the Lucasfilm "story group" were probably in on the joke too

Literally every theory was better than the reality. Shove that smug bullshit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WTF is the point of the next movie? There's no major threat or mysterious whatever. It's just Kylo? Uggggghhhh who gives a shiiiiit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mahoning posted:

He was in Empire and ROTJ

From a certain point of view.

Mahoning posted:

He was in Empire and ROTJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

illectro posted:

Because an asteroid the size of the death star wouldn't completely destroy a planet, and a hyperdriving rock would drop out of hyperspace inside the atmosphere and not retain superluminal energies because of the interference caused by the planet.

Death Star was always an over indulgence, a technological terror which could turn an planet into an asteroid belt when it was just as easy to build something smaller and glass the surface of the planet.

There's something funky about hyperspace through gravity wells that might make that impossible, but an object the size of the size of the death start moving at any appreciable fraction of c would absolutely destroy a planet.

• Locked thread