Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you're like a rocket engineer and you need to make a computer to drive a rocket, well I don't know if Apple have that yet.. you'll probably find that the best computer in that siuation is... idk a chrome book or maybe something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

Mac IIci best personal computer of all time

25 MHz 68030 CPU and 68882 FPU
released at a time when most developers were still targeting 8 MHz 68000 hardware so everything loving flew on it, like whatever you tried worked instantly
then the 32KB L2 cache card practically doubled its performance for only a few bucks (later became standard)
up to 128MB of RAM—in 1989!
32-bit clean ROM so System 7 could use virtual memory without hacks
still supported System 6 so old software also ran (unlike its successors)
decent SCSI implementation and minimum OS of System 6 (which added support for 2+ GB disks) so it supported effectively infinite storage

I think it was even the longest-sold individual Mac model, something like 4 years

my IIci takes goddamn forever to cold boot with 128MB of RAM installed though

tbf this sounds epic coming from a guy who had a amiga 500 (68000 with 1mb and floppy disk) and 1200 (68020 2mb and 120mb hard drive)

fpu would be amazing.

that ram amount holy poo poo. in 2000 or so I bought a pc with 768 ram (ony 6x that amount) and it was tons

how much did that fuckin thing cost

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh

• Locked thread