Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm a huge Gaga fan, but this was a much better tribute. Also watch Annie Lennox's speech before the performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

at the brits they just did a very quick instrumental medley of a few songs with members of bowie's last touring band (including gail ann dorsey) and then a wonderful rendition of life on mars by lorde. rewind this stream to ~10 minutes before this post, when gary oldman was talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mFh39FAxc

Here's the start of the section about Bowie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mFh39FAxc&t=8102s (starts with them introducing Annie Lennox)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I finally watched the Gaga 'tribute', after watching Lorde's, and even though I do admit to liking quite a few of her songs, I really didn't enjoy it at all. It felt like a farce.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
A Reality Tour is getting a vinyl release in June

https://instagram.com/p/BCS-JyIm92Z/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's kind of amazing how much better the Brit Awards tribute was than the Grammys one. The Grammys was rushed, busy, and because they tried to do too much ended up doing very little.

The Brit Awards one on the other hand was tight, and focused, and way more moving. Having the band he toured with playing the medley of songs without his vocals was a really poignant way of summing up just how major his loss is. And while Lorde doesn't have quite the vocal range to do Life on Mars justice, the fact that it was a single song and way more focused put it above Gaga's in my mind, even though Gaga was probably more better on a technical level.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I didn't used to listen to much music. Earlier this month I remembered Bowie had died recently and I had been intrigued by the Blackstar video (my first exposure to him save Space Oddity, if you can believe), so I listened to more of the album, and now having gone through a lot of his history and a dozen other artists it's still the work that appeals most to me. I especially love 'Lazarus'.

Where do I go to find more like this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Peel posted:

I didn't used to listen to much music. Earlier this month I remembered Bowie had died recently and I had been intrigued by the Blackstar video (my first exposure to him save Space Oddity, if you can believe), so I listened to more of the album, and now having gone through a lot of his history and a dozen other artists it's still the work that appeals most to me. I especially love 'Lazarus'.

Blackstar as a whole is very different than anything else he ever did. Dude kept experimenting and evolving until the very end.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Black Tie White Noise is very jazzy but much more upbeat. Outside was dark yet very 90s. You could always give the Berlin trio (Low, Heroes, Lodger) a try as well, they're famously experimental.

But yeah, Blackstar instantly drew me in because of how different it was. Not just as a departure from his own body of work, but in relation to everything else. It's stand-alone genius.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Peel posted:

Try 1. Outside. It's like Blackstar's older, weirder cousin.

It feels and sounds like the 90s but it's aged relatively well compared to some of his other stuff.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 28, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Also you should listen to Low which was one of his most experimental albums in the 70's and also one of the most influential albums on music in general in the decades that followed. In fact the closing track on Blackstar contains a direct reference to A New Career In A New Town which is from Low - which is not only a great song on its own, but imo the connection between the role the song plays on Low and the purpose/structure of Blackstar is in and of itself one of his most powerful artistic statements

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 28, 2016

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I was thinking more other artists, I already dug up and enjoyed Low and 1. Outside from the discussions in this thread. :shobon:

Not Black Tie White Noise/Heroes/Lodger yet though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Astrochicken posted:

Try 1. Outside. It's like Blackstar's older, weirder cousin.

It feels and sounds like the 90s but it's aged relatively well compared to some of his other stuff.

Outside is my overall favorite Bowie album from front to back. There are many tracks through his catalog that I absolutely love more individually, but very few albums have such a full volume of great songs. Admittedly I usually skip the segue tracks due to having heard the story dozens of times (except I Am With Name since it contains a song), but it tries so many things and succeeds at most of them while being something completely new - who else fuses avant-garde jazz with industrial rock? I've been listening to it a lot lately and although my tastes have shifted over the years, I consider The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty) the best track on there. It's every sound he's going for on that album contained in one song.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Outside is my overall favorite Bowie album from front to back. There are many tracks through his catalog that I absolutely love more individually, but very few albums have such a full volume of great songs. Admittedly I usually skip the segue tracks due to having heard the story dozens of times (except I Am With Name since it contains a song), but it tries so many things and succeeds at most of them while being something completely new - who else fuses avant-garde jazz with industrial rock? I've been listening to it a lot lately and although my tastes have shifted over the years, I consider The Voyeur of Utter Destruction (As Beauty) the best track on there. It's every sound he's going for on that album contained in one song.

Outside is good but the plot is unfortunate. It's like an episode of Criminal Minds or CSI put to music. And with bad 90's photoshop work to look at while you listen to it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

sticklefifer posted:

I was listening to that album while i was getting over the flu recently and Voyeur sounds amazing with a head full of theraflu. Beautiful song.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Peel posted:

I was thinking more other artists, I already dug up and enjoyed Low and 1. Outside from the discussions in this thread. :shobon:

Not Black Tie White Noise/Heroes/Lodger yet though.

Blackstar is honestly pretty unique but you could try the Lost Highway soundtrack maybe?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

While these albums don't really sound like Blackstar, I'd definitely recommend listening to Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come as well as some of Brian Eno's non-ambient albums from the 70's like Another Green World and Taking Tiger Mountain

and if you haven't listened to Station to Station yet, do so as soon as possible, as loud as possible

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

No self-respecting Bowie thread should be without a Naruto-themed pastiche of Under Pressure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17SGtrhQtQ

Song starts at 4:30.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As I haven't even seen it mentioned in here, I thought I'd pop in and say these "Instaminiseries" things based on Blackstar that are coming out on Instagram are all loving awful and I'm glad Bowie isn't alive to see them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've finally got around to reading that 33 1/3 book about Low. About halfway through now, it's very good.

One thing I've already re-listened to because of this book is Iggy Pop's The Idiot. I knew that Bowie had produced this album and co-written a few of the songs, but I didn't realize the depth of his involvement and that the work he did on this album was very much in preparation for the work he was to do on Low. In a way it can be regarded as the first album of the "Berlin series" in the sense that it was recorded in the same place, involved many of the same people, and a similar approach to composition and production. The book has also spent a long time getting into particular Kraftwerk and Neu! songs and albums and describing how each affected Bowie and Eno during this period (and vice versa), and of course a lot about Visconti's career up to that point and where he was coming from. It's great stuff.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I see that album run as The Idiot- Low- Lust For Life- "Heroes"- Lodger. All 5 albums share the same aesthetics to some degree. And I love how the first and last song from that sequence both have the same music ("Sister Midnight" and "Red Money"). Really bookends the whole thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

One song that's really been standing out to me lately is 'Somebody Up There Likes Me'. The last two minutes are fantastic. It's nice when songs just seem to refresh themselves like that. :unsmith:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I always liked how Bowie knew Strangers When We Meet was so drat good, he knew it wouldn't be heard as much on a small release like Buddha of Suburbia and injected it into the tail end of Outside as well.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
In a much better version too, and released it as a single. I know at least two people who never really 'got' Outside but who still have Strangers on rotation in various playlists.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Strangers is such an incredible song. It's really up there in top favourites.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I love Through These Architects Eyes and Strangers but their placement on Outside is questionable.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I love Through These Architects Eyes and Strangers but their placement on Outside is questionable.

When a concept album is self-referential to being "non-linear" I feel like all bets are off with track listing and placement

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

When a concept album is self-referential to being "non-linear" I feel like all bets are off with track listing and placement

I mean they don't really sound like they belong on the album at all.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean they don't really sound like they belong on the album at all.

It's like that one shot of a blue sky as the dove flies away in Blade Runner-- the contrast is part of what makes it so amazing.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
The more I listen to it, the more I realize that "I Can't Give Everything Away" is a perfect song.

"I know something's very wrong" :(

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Remember when we all thought that the last recorded Bowie song would be Bring Me The Disco King? I could have lived with that, but I'm glad we didn't have to.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I picked up the Five Years boxset the other day. Listening to it in order made me mad how much Ken Scott sucked at recording drums compared to Tony Visconti.

Edit: It's pretty great package on the whole though. I have more money than sense so I'd shell out for something that covers the rest of the 70s.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I got Heathen today. Great purchase. I think next is Outside or Earthling for me.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I got Heathen today. Great purchase. I think next is Outside or Earthling for me.

Earthling is the most 90s album he ever made. There are some good songs on that record but they're buried under mountains of very dated drum n bass arrangements.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Happy Hippo posted:

Earthling is the most 90s album he ever made. There are some good songs on that record but they're buried under mountains of very dated drum n bass arrangements.

Outside is pretty outstanding, but I still love Earthling for its harsh sound. Dead Man Walking also sounds really good in an acoustic arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVoeDNp9zBI

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Happy Hippo posted:

I give the drum n bass a pass because it was all real live drumming made into their own loops; no canned drum loops. Plus, I think there are some solid tracks. It's my favorite 90s album by him other than Outside.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

In other news, I've been trying to spend two weeks apiece with each of Bowie's albums in chronological order since he passed away. I'm just now at Aladdin Sane. This is going to take almost all year but so be it. Bowie's music mostly owned, and when it didn't it was at least interesting.

Of course, I haven't made it to the 80s yet.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've gotten really into Scott Walker lately after reading about him in the Low book. His creepy 60's pop is great but his 1984 album Climate of Hunter is really striking, not only because it's a great album in and of itself, but it clearly had a big impact on the 1.Outside -> Heathen -> Blackstar thread of Bowie's music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwm5V7hN11M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4t4gtrrngQ

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Earwicker posted:

I've gotten really into Scott Walker lately after reading about him in the Low book. His creepy 60's pop is great but his 1984 album Climate of Hunter is really striking, not only because it's a great album in and of itself, but it clearly had a big impact on the 1.Outside -> Heathen -> Blackstar thread of Bowie's music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwm5V7hN11M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4t4gtrrngQ

Climate of Hunter IS really striking. There's not a lot else like it out there. I find myself coming back to it a lot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZscv36UUHo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Confirmed: Not even David Bowie can make lyric videos be anything but the dumbest, most low effort poo poo ever.

• Locked thread