Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It would be way better without the actual lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I like the bit at the very end when "everything" turns into "verythin".

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

And More posted:

I like the bit at the very end when "everything" turns into "verythin".

The song is really about verithins. They're sort of pricey, so you can't just give them away.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Apparently the Blackstar album cover has a star map that comes out when exposed to the sun

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/fans-discover-secret-artwork-hidden-within-david-bowies-blackstar-album-cover/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Of course you knew that the Lazarus cast album was released on Friday. I'm not a fan of covers but I like these.

The bonus tracks are these three songs:

No Plan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzP9id_TXcU

Killing A Little Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOxBga1-hw

When I Met You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwHq_Xs9hw

Except sung by Bowie during the Blackstar sessions.

The final three David Bowie songs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sitting on my back porch in Eastern Standard Time smoking a cigar having a beer listening to Blackstar and having all the feels.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
yeah, gently caress off universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDasBptBsY

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Happy birthday, David Bowie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-vzhG5kf0A

(I got A Reality Tour for Christmas and it is really loving good.)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
And a video for No Plan. A touch above the usual quality of a lyric video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgdid8dsC8

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been really digging Lodger lately.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

One of the best.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Eifert Posting posted:

"DJ" is weird because I somehow knew it before I got into Bowie and in retrospect I have no idea how that would've happened.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Lodger and Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) have been on my Bowie go-to listening list for nearly three years.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
David Bowie's the only musician I can think of where my favorite album changes from time to time.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He's got very few weak parts of his library. 85-90 is about the worst it gets in my opinion. His 90s output is pretty great, and 70 to 80 is perfection.

Blackstar is as good as anything.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 5, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bowie is the only artist who both (I think) has an entire career arc that I enjoy while at the same time (again, opinion) managed to get better and better as his career went on (ignoring the late 80s/early 90s creative exhaustion). From Outside to Blackstar is just about the most perfect two decades+ of music for me.

Tom Waits maybe comes a close second in all respects.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bowie is the only artist who both (I think) has an entire career arc that I enjoy while at the same time (again, opinion) managed to get better and better as his career went on (ignoring the late 80s/early 90s creative exhaustion). From Outside to Blackstar is just about the most perfect two decades+ of music for me.

He's kinda been churning out the same old poo poo since mule variations, and some people would say a lot longer than that. But at least mule variations had a couple of nice ballads mixed in the the songs that are half spoken lists set to a polka beat.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've still got a soft spot for Tonight and Never Let Me Down, because there are hints of cool stuff in it, but I mostly like them because I think it's actually pretty fun watching him trying to find his feet again

I haven't really bothered with Tin Machine so that might colour my opinion once I get around to it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The mid-late 80s were the only time Bowie was putting out stuff that didn't loving rule or wasn't at least super creative and weird.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I can't get over the stereotypical 80s production on those records. There are some good moments, but not many.

I do love Let's Dance though.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Let's Dance is a genuinely loving awesome record that both sounds like the stuff that came out at the times while also being different in that weird Bowie way.

And the version of Cat People on there is the better one. Fight me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

And the version of Cat People on there is the better one. Fight me.

i'll give you that but i'll counter that the version of China Girl on there is the worse one

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'll counter that there isnt really such a thing as a good version of China Girl

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that song sucks.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I like it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

iggy's is good actually

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean its better than Bowie's but its still the weakest song on The Idiot

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Earwicker posted:

i'll counter that there isnt really such a thing as a good version of China Girl

iggy's is way better but it's still not a good song

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

china girl is a great song and bowie's version is better :colbert:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

china girl owns all versions own

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I thought about David Bowie the other day and got really sad that he's not still with us.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Both versions of "Cat People" and "China Girl" are good.

Also, you know what would have owned? If Stevie Ray Vaughan and Chic had collaborated further.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but Bowie's been dead for a year and it seems like we haven't gotten inundated with box sets and greatest hits packages and tribute concerts. Is it just the estate handling things tight? It's like the opposite of what the Prince estate is doing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
To be fair, Bowie wasn't ever stingy with material the way Prince was.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

To be fair, Bowie wasn't ever stingy with material the way Prince was.

That's true but not long after he passed, somebody representing Bowie said he had a couple albums in the can. I think it was even speculated (read:hoped) that they were the 2nd and 3rd suites of 1:Outside.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's true but not long after he passed, somebody representing Bowie said he had a couple albums in the can. I think it was even speculated (read:hoped) that they were the 2nd and 3rd suites of 1:Outside.

I desperately need this to be real

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Eno said Bowie messaged him about getting back in the studio together but it never happened, unfortunately. I would kill for 2. and 3.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I heard he had one more done, but I didn't hear it was an Outside sequel.

I love the songs on Outside, but I don't care about the story really.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
They also started a retrospective box set series before his death that he had approved. So you're going to see a new one later this year, I'm betting (I'm guessing it will be the Berlin Trilogy with maybe Scary Monsters, but who knows). They are really good sets, but they don't have a ton in terms of material you can't find elsewhere.

Except the original Holy Holy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love Time Will Crawl and it's video and will fight anyone who says I shouldn't.

• Locked thread