Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Is it still as bad as 13 years ago? Two women in our entire year for compsci.

in my university's department, computer science & engineering (the official name) has ~14% women, or about 175 out of 1200 students

the college of engineering as a whole is about 21% women, which is above average for engineering colleges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
if it's the US isn't it some sort of equality law where you really need to actually try and balance race/sex/gayness in the workplace? *stares at the one female in the classroom in bewilderment*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

re: the thread title: good.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

pepito sanchez posted:

if it's the US isn't it some sort of equality law where you really need to actually try and balance race/sex/gayness in the workplace? *stares at the one female in the classroom in bewilderment*

No. You just can't keep any evidence that you were actively being sexist, orientationist, racists.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
can you imagine if that was a law and 99% of straight non-black male programmers are out on the street dancing for pennies. i don't want to live there man

anyways since i actually closely worked with a talented female codemonkey i can only support shoeglaze's theory. she's twice the coder my dumbass is and went to the same dumbass school for the same dumbass degree. likely she drinks more coffee than whiskey tho

the point is: wtf is stem?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
steam but misspelled

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Hm, interesting. Not sure I can think of anything else that a woman would be better at than an equivalent man.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
do you ever think that women can do gay poo poo butr instead of gay its girly? like sucking cocks, wearing pink, liking musicals, etc. interesting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Smythe posted:

do you ever think that women can do gay poo poo butr instead of gay its girly? like sucking cocks, wearing pink, liking musicals, etc. interesting

request you investigate

please report back

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Is it still as bad as 13 years ago? Two women in our entire year for compsci.

Even in my first year classes it was like a 1 to 10 ratio.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gonna put this here

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/the-odds-that-a-panel-would-randomly-be-all-men-are-astronomical/411505/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the last time we went looking for new hires we couldn't find a qualified man, let alone a qualified woman. they get snatched up pretty quick if they any good at all.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

good. execute all scientists and men.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gently caress all lady farmers

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

av/post synergy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

:smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:chord:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
heh
snatched up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we've got broad opportunities for women

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but seriously, one out of 40 interviewees is good enough to hire, and only 3% or so are women, so the odds of getting one that's both good and a woman are basically zero.

we fix this by hiring many mediocre women.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Smythe posted:

yea but you didn't hear that from me ok buddy

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Smythe posted:

worshiping the loins of a fellow warrior is not gay. take down an antelope, suck a dick. it's a tale as old as time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BooLoo posted:

worshiping the loins of a fellow warrior is not gay. take down an antelope, suck a dick. it's a tale as old as time.

yeah, if you want to see incredible amounts of homoeroticism, look to either the military or a sports team

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

too bad you're already married eh

https://www.farmersonly.com

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

computer parts posted:

yeah, if you want to see incredible amounts of homoeroticism, look to either the military or a sports team

funny you mention that. i actually do want to see incredible amounts of homoeroticism

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

i like when women put their measurements, or at least a headshot on the resume

im pretty sure this is the entire point of linkedin

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

fart simpson posted:

funny you mention that. i actually do want to see incredible amounts of homoeroticism
please buy my kindle erotica

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

pepito sanchez posted:

If you're a half black half Eskimo female amputee with zero experience and want a job in our datacom unit, YOU'RE IN! We'll send you to every class Cisco offers AND pay for all the certs you want!

Yeah, working for the government is great.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Rivethead posted:

If you're a half black half Eskimo female amputee with zero experience and want a job in our datacom unit, YOU'RE IN! We'll send you to every class Cisco offers AND pay for all the certs you want!

man, those half black half eskimo female amputees have so many advantages in life.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rivethead posted:

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

man, those half black half eskimo female amputees have so many advantages in life.

Finding a blind one is like striking loving gold.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
theres still less women in the field on average so to get to a point where it is even you gotta hire more ladies than dudes for a bit.

id think stem people would understand that

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely like to see more women in the field, as it is very hard to find some cool chick at work when there aren't any chicks period

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stereotype posted:

theres still less women in the field on average so to get to a point where it is even you gotta hire more ladies than dudes for a bit.

id think stem people would understand that

They do, they're just mad that the "for a bit" came at the exact same time they're trying to find work, and hour at any point in the previous like 8 hundred years

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Clochette posted:

they found no sexism in STEM faculty jobs as women tend to be employed for STEM tenure-track positions at a 2:1 ratio

lol!!!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in this thread I will be playing the part of the fedora wearing ecig vaping PUA MRA star citizen backer with an xbox one

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

As a Millennial I posted:

in this thread I will be playing the part of the fedora wearing ecig vaping PUA MRA star citizen backer with an xbox one

but do you not have a penis and also are qualified?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

In acting coach voice: interesting. Let's see where this takes us

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't tenure jobs only represent like 1/20th of teaching positions now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

don't tenure jobs only represent like 1/20th of teaching positions now?

still seems way to high, should be around 0/20th

• Locked thread