Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Furia posted:

Just saw it was discussed later in the thread, so my apologies for taking your times commandos o9

But still, it's loving bizarre that they took this solution to the problem instead of, oh you know, not doubling down on a poor engine decision

I wonder if they ever seriously considered switching engines? Bit late now but if they'd done it while they were delaying AC for two weeks it might have helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tippis posted:

The funny thing about big publishers is that they are publishers. They are also big. They got big by publishing lots of things. Whatever else you might think of them, this queer fact means that they're a hellalot more trustworth as far as delivering a product than a guy whose largest claim to fame is being kicked out of two separate industries for failure to deliver.

+42

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
Episode 4. Cr gives a breakdown on funding and MR B shows the secret to his concept ship sales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyYa6bt-iZM

Feedback are ideas for future shows welcome

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

I wonder if they ever seriously considered switching engines? Bit late now but if they'd done it while they were delaying AC for two weeks it might have helped

Calling it now, they will say they are switching engines at Citizen Con.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

holy poo poo that would be the best possible outcome.

Okay well the best possible outcome would be for Crobberts to walk out on stage and be like "With patch 2.5 we're introducing the Idris and four storyline missions - which will complete the delivery of both Star Citizen AND Squadron 42, woo!

But an engine change announcement would be second best.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Xaerael posted:

As you wish

Yes.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Furia posted:

THE UNIVERSE WAS NEVER LARGE EVERYTHING WAS JUST REALLY TINY INSTEAD

Someone who has downloaded the 30gb pile can look for the texture maps. They should be able to tell you what sort of scale the game is on.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

moonraker posted:

Episode 4. Cr gives a breakdown on funding and MR B shows the secret to his concept ship sales

Amazing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

I´m fully with you.

I also believe that cultists will not care about this at all for as long as the impact of having it represents moar fideliteh and allows them to support a claim to the BDSSE title. Which is all that this really does: Allow CIG to claim BDSSE.

The thing is I have the suspicion that the system has not been properly implemented anyways and it still cheats big time. Now, that is something cultists can understand better, if it was possible to confirm explicitly.

Dude, there is no PID system in place. The ships would need to have mass or the thrusters would have to be modelled for it to even begin to work.

Just go look at a video of any ship with lots of lateral trusters. They just move around, almost randomly no matter in which direction you're moving. Although they love to point down when you're rotating sidewise. (redittors say the trusters are Indeed modelled well is just that they are absurdly powerful and some of them are invisible, yeah)

You can bet your rear end that they gave it the usual roberts-try during the week he was obsessed with that and then went back to harfcoded values as soon as Chris got distracted by procedural birds.

CiG doesn't need to have anything at all to claim they are the most fidelitious thing. I know this because they have gently caress all ready at this point besides their ever changing dreams.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

Wait…
- Expert in time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent English communication and written skills.

How are the verbal and written communication skills needed (somehow) for time management not covered by the “excellent English communication and written skills”? Are they employing galley slaves and this is a job ad for some kind of partial whipping-and-guttural-shouting position?

These are the type of job openings that no one should accept.
There is no clear message about what you will be doing who you will be reporting to who will be reporting to you.
It's like they want you to manage a team and be part of the grunt work at the same time. How are you going to objectively rate your progress compared to the rest of the team?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lladre posted:

There is no clear message about what you will be doing who you will be reporting to who will be reporting to you.
It's like they want you to manage a team and be part of the grunt work at the same time. How are you going to objectively rate your progress compared to the rest of the team?

The job description reads like it was written by someone who bullshited on their own resume to get hired.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Lladre posted:

Someone who has downloaded the 30gb pile can look for the texture maps. They should be able to tell you what sort of scale the game is on.

Shame there's no SQ42 in the wild, you'd be able to tell if the scales and ships were compatible between SC and SQ42.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lladre posted:

Chris wants to hire some fallguys to take the blame when they have to cancel the game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Shame there's no SQ42 in the wild, you'd be able to tell if the scales and ships were compatible between SC and SQ42.

Do you remember that "my mustang model" is not on its display case but flying around the hangar bug? Well, that's not a bug. :tinfoil:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Xaerael posted:

As you wish

Yes

Redditors should come to this thread and realize we have more content that the actual game.
I mean we are content locusts after all

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

moonraker posted:

:catstare:

Stop upstaging my poo poo photoshops, jerk.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

There seems to be a perfectly Kayakface shaped space on that bottom row...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
An :eonwe: sized hole you mean.

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Xaerael posted:

:catstare:

Stop upstaging my poo poo photoshops, jerk.

There is plenty comedy gold for every one when it come to SC :)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

moonraker posted:

There is plenty comedy gold for every one when it come to SC :)

I have to admit, the laughing became painful when Ben started making GBS threads out spaceships. Maybe a health warning next time?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

quote:

You move through this chaos and a new voice begins to call for attention. Now you're with the Faraway Orientation Systems Controller; FOSC-or SysCon-sets you up for the big jump. You're going to cover maybe seven light years in a few minutes, and you might think that's a lot of space to get lost in, but that isn't how it works. Faraway is a tunnel, like any other tunnel. Inside that tunnel is the realm called Witch-Space, a magic place, a place where the normal rules of the Universe don' t necessarily work. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel there are monitoring satellites, and branch lines, and stop points, and rescue stations; and passing by all of these are perhaps a hundred channels, a hundred 'lines' for ships to travel, each one protected against the two big dangers of hyperspace travel: atomic reorganisation, and time displacement.
Jump on your own through hyperspace, across more than half a light year, and you 'll be lucky to make the same Universe, let alone your destination.
You might emerge from Witch-Space turned inside out (which is not a pretty sight).
You might be stretched in all the wrong angles, and although the ship keeps travelling, that Jelly mass of broken bone and flesh inside the cabin is you.
According to legend, you might come through okay and breathe a sigh of relief, only to go into Earth orbit and wonder why that big lizard, with the teeth and the long tail and the green scales is roaring up at you, and warning you off of his nice Jurassic patch of prehistoric desert.
To go Faraway is a killer, unless you obey the rules.

Conclusion - the whole of Star Citizen occurs in Witch-Space.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Fantastic work!

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Xaerael posted:

I have to admit, the laughing became painful when Ben started making GBS threads out spaceships. Maybe a health warning next time?

Yep I agree there should be a Ben making GBS threads ships notice , it cant be unseen

it was inspired by years of listening to ben describe how over the course of the weekend he designed ground breaking ships with about a million polys in them
and how you and your buddy's will be able to live the space adventure dream in it. He just failed to mention the fact he is talking out of his arse so only fitting
that the ships come from there

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Inkel posted:

So ideate posted this on discord..

It looks like CIG made it to E3 afterall..
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/742853960927563776

The thing people keep missing about this is that it's not important they went to a venue they bailed.
The thing that's important is they've explicitly said that they have no time to attend E3 and spun the narrative of E3 being inconsequential and unimportant, and then showed up as attendees.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

orcinus posted:

The thing people keep missing about this is that it's not important they went to a venue they bailed.
The thing that's important is they've explicitly said that they have no time to attend E3 and spun the narrative of E3 being inconsequential and unimportant, and then showed up as attendees.

So did they actually bail or did they get kicked out after trying to send AMD their 2 year old highlight reel and a follow-up letter full of coke and poo poo?

How does that work? Can anyone calling themselves a dev just show up and get a booth or do you have to know people (and not poo poo in their beds, preferably)?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

AP posted:

That would be amazing. I truly hope it happens. When is this disgusting spergfest?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Well to be fair, all we know is Sandi showed up and, as reddit helpfully pointed out, she does absolutely nothing to help the development of the game.

Aside, is this typical? Do other games have damage modeling hidden away inside the object model?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvq0YwSxKs&t=14s

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

orcinus posted:

Yea all they had to say was "thank you so much for the invitation. But we wanna save all our stuff for our own Con." Its a dumb decision but allows them to show up

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Charles Get-Out posted:

Well to be fair, all we know is Sandi showed up and, as reddit helpfully pointed out, she does absolutely nothing to help the development of the game.

I love this excuse because, as I'm sure someone has already pointed out, Sandi is the head of their marketing.. And this is the biggest gaming marketing event. I have a hard time believing that their whole marketing department was so swamped that they couldn't throw together a new trailer or two, or give some talking points about the games progress. It's not like you need to halt development just to make a couple trailers or a video of some gameplay.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Get-Out posted:

Aside, is this typical? Do other games have damage modeling hidden away inside the object model?

It's models all the way down, each of these ships is composed of a million distinct parts, no wonder the engine starts making GBS threads the bed the minute there are more than a couple of them around.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Charles Get-Out posted:

But I thought all of the damage is dynamically generated based on the causes and there aren't pre-existing damage states!?!???

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

holy poo poo that would be the best possible outcome.

Okay well the best possible outcome would be for Crobberts to walk out on stage and be like "With patch 2.5 we're introducing the Idris and four storyline missions - which will complete the delivery of both Star Citizen AND Squadron 42, woo!

But an engine change announcement would be second best.

Define "best possible outcome"

Because this is CIG, after all.

Lladre posted:

I would, but I have no idea how to interpret the information I'm looking for

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Charles Get-Out posted:

I wouldn't have thought so, but I could be wrong.

I assumed most games simply swap out the original model at time of death and pop in the large and small broken debris, and this is hidden by a big explosion particle effect.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

That's the worst Maj Tom video I've ever seen

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Paramemetic posted:

But I thought all of the damage is dynamically generated based on the causes and there aren't pre-existing damage states!?!???

Ah, but that was when it was easy to say. Doing it was a long way off.

Now, doing it would take valuable resources, which are on more important stuff.

It's just priorities.

There IS no "engineering debt", you see... because CIG don't have to do any of the stuff they said.

All that guff was just words.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Fronts posted:

All that guff was just words.

Exactly, Chris never promised anything. Sorry salty goonies just deal with it. :smug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Furia posted:

Define "best possible outcome"

"Produces the largest amounts of comedy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed most games simply swap out the original model at time of death and pop in the large and small broken debris, and this is hidden by a big explosion particle effect.

MeLKoR posted:

It's models all the way down, each of these ships is composed of a million distinct parts, no wonder the engine starts making GBS threads the bed the minute there are more than a couple of them around.

I would think that rendering all that poo poo for all involved ships all the time when it isn't useful would bog it down, but maybe it prevents pop-in or something? I don't know, I'm not a game developer and I Don't Understand Game Development, it just looks weird to me.

Paramemetic posted:

I guess this promise was as binding as the one to fully model thruster mechanics and physics.

• Locked thread