Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

wouldn't it make more sense for a studio to have concrete for flooring? that way you won't have to worry about damaging the floor from moving the equipment around all the time and when constructing new sets and what have you? and what's up with all the windows in this soon to be mocap studio?

Depends what you expect to do and what kind of floor boards you're using. Wood can be at the same time both hardy and surprisingly soft, making it easier to get away with thin mattresses when slamming your face against it while capturing death animations. But yes, it'll most likely get scuffed — it's a dynamic work place with lots of movable equipment, so what's in those pictures doesn't make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

I realized Francis is Ben's long lost brother

See, this is why a good old board game will always be better than a computer game. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Maldoror posted:

Around the Verse is so painfully telling.

Talk talk talk, interviews.

Absolutely no gameplay footage. None. "It's in QA."

Two 30 second clips from existing "demo" releases, one showing severe lagging.

Footage of "redesigned" ship. Sitting there. No footage whatsoever showing it implemented in game. None.

The ONLY footage of it doing anything shows the ship bathroom deploying a toilet and sink.

"Freelancer Rework Concept Art, Work-in-Progress".

EVERYONE talking like the game is working and assets are working and implemented. But no proof shown whatsoever.

It feels like everyone in the video is being told what to say.

Jesus.

The funny thing is, if they actually did have a QA process and really were moving forwards towards some actual game content, it would be trivially easy for them to take this as a launching point for taking control of the message and reversing it completely.

Include a “blooper reel” segment that takes the funniest bug(s) discovered in QA and show it to the world. Have the programmers discuss what's happening and why — get really technical and nerdy. Steal the thunder from all the janky-glitch-GIFs and turn it into a “ha ha, that was funny… maybe we should keep that bug” piece of self-deprecating comedy (the forums would eat it up; I can see the polls to keep particularly hilarious screw-ups already). For bonus points, if development should accidentally happen at some stage, they could even do re-visits to see how “boring but pretty” it is when the bugs are fixed. It would demonstrate an interest, passion, humour, and level of… I don't know… gamer-ness that is woefully lacking at the moment. I have yet to meet anyone who likes a game who can't also laugh uproariously at the hidden broken details in that game.

Of course, that would require that they have a sense of humour, as well as the distance needed for that kind of self-deprecation — neither of which I believe they can pull off. Not even going into the pseudo-conspiracy theory of there being no development to show off, I think they're so hung up on preserving the image of The Perfect Game (and, somehow, The Perfect Game Development) that no mistakes are allowed to be seen. If they weren't, they could live up to the much-vaunted (but largely absent) idea of having an open development process, while at the same time pull the rug from under the feet of people who use bugs and similar jank as evidence of poor quality at this stage.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 13, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The problem with that is you can't show the same bugs over and over again. If bugs stay unfixed for too long people can start questioning quality of the product.

LMAO, it's citizens we're talking about, of course no one would question anything. :gary:

Well, yeah. The whole thing kind of assumes that they're, you know, actually developing the game and moving to a releasable state. I'm guessing that CTDs in Photoshop when you run out of memory don't make for very varied or interesting TV. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

You appear to be describing roughly something they have been doing for a while now, their Bugsmashers video series, which began as a segment on AtV and has since been spun off into its own recurring video series.

…that isn't funny, isn't regular, isn't really showing off the game, and isn't really a discussion on development.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Do you think QVC would show blooper reels of their lovely kitchen gadgets malfunctioning? No, it's the same here, think of this as QVC, not a game. Nothing relating to game dev is relevant here, it's all a sales pitch.
Look at Loiosh's last post, he's a nice guy but still, 90% of his post is about pondering about spaceships - the sales pitch works.

Yeah, that's really the core of it, and indeed of every part of their supposed openness in the dev process: it has all become about selling, not about letting the audience follow the project through to completion.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Apparently Star Citizen is the most transparent look at game development in gaming history:

So… does he at any point explain where the historical transparency is? All he's really saying there is that the closed (supposedly) alpha stage is open to those who pay for participating. But that's not really anything new or anything particularly transparent…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Not the same without the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8OU5WtfkQ

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh boy.

Derek Smart vs. Scott Manley slugfest. Place your bets.
:suspense:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

What slugfest? I love that guy!! Did I miss something?

You're missing that illectro is Manley.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If Ben falls over just once the entire project is cancelled.

Well yeah. Haven't you seen Superman? That kind of shock could send the whole San Andreas fault off and put the main offices at the bottom of the Pacific.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

Someone help explain this to me who knows nothing about business.

A neat enough guide: http://thebusinessferret.com/key-financial-metrics/excess-cash/

In particular, this bit is relevant:

quote:

The final effect of holding excess cash is over-confidence on the part of management, commonly deluding management into feeling infallible. With so much money in the bank, what could possibly go wrong?

But excess cash is an example of past success, not future capability. Holding excess cash means that management can fix their mistakes with the cash instead of working their way out of the problem. The reason for this is the excess cash will bury the mistake so that in-depth analysis of the problem or failure is not assessed. Companies with a lot of excess cash consistently over-pay for acquisitions – in the name of investing cash – which destroys the company’s market value.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

Secondly, is this the only loving programmer on the team?
Then again, that would explain a lot…

Omi-Polari posted:

My dog ate my JPEG.
At least they should try “peed on my Drobo” or something — that's a far more rational explanation for data loss and delays.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

yes but you will harmlessly bounce off because it is a large textured sphere, also the texture will be extremely stretched as you fly close and the pixels of the texture stretch for tens of kilometers

That's assuming they've made the celestial objects at proper sizes. The best thing about Freelancer was the 4km-radius planets and 2km-radius stars that you could “land” on if you turned damage off. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Gotta grind some RECs

E: in related news, Grimes is p. good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo

Bolow posted:

It's hard to convey how loving massive VY Canis Majoris is without something nearby to compare it to. It's less a texture problem and more that space is loving empty so it's just kind of there without context.
It makes some sene if you have a bit of experience of E:D and have an appreciation for how fast Friendship… sorry Frameshift Drive is. The sheer amount of time it takes for the star to grow in size in that video is mind-boggling from that perspective.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 15, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Has it ever been explained why they look like small electric carts and still manage to catch fire and explode as if they're using naphthalene pyro devices as fuel?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kordansk posted:

Maybe they will go Heaven's Gate.

As in the western or the millenarian movement? I mean, both work as an analogy…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kordansk posted:

Whichever you prefer. I suppose the western for RSI and the cult for the idiotic fans.

I like this interpretation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

Programming stuff is inherently less parallelizable than stuff like asset development, and honestly less of a schedule risk for the overall game. It makes sense that they should be prioritizing asset development staff given their tremendous backlog and the manpower intensity of their assets.

You know what's even further behind and in intense need of manpower? The programming. Without it, the assets serve no purpose after all…
Oh, and as others have mentioned, a lead programmer is something that's fairly easy to replace, and that's assuming a replacement is needed to begin with. Hands aren't really needed for the majority of the tasks involved.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kakarot posted:

Is there a game yet

Yup. It's great.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Injuries are one thing, but shutting down the whole thing because of one person's injuries is ludicrous

Would they lock all the doors and send everyone home for 2 weeks if Chris had the flu and was home in bed?

Given the apparent need for him to micromanage everything and approve everything, it wouldn't surprise me. Is anyone else there really empowered to make any kind of decision beyond the contents of their coffee?

Octopode posted:

The wrist breakage didn't set them back three weeks; slowdown caused by it, combined with other bugs and issues probably did. People are arguing like this is the only guy doing anything and the whole process ground to a halt because of him; that's preposterous--all they said is that it caused them to work more slowly than they would otherwise, not that everything has stopped because of it.

In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks. If his working a bit more slowly set them back that much, then something is desperately wrong with everything in their process. It is just as — if not more — preposterous as suggesting that everything ground to a halt due to his not doing anything. The fact that he's not a regular typist, but a lead programmer, makes it even more of a laughably pathetic excuse for sheer idiocy than it otherwise wood be.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

No. In case it wasn't clear; I'll explain it another way, with entirely made up dates as no one here actually has any info about the length of the setback:

Original projection = release in two weeks, based on what we're seeing of current issues

Jim breaks wrists!

Oh no, due to us losing Jim and needing to shift his workload, we'll probably need an extra week to finish!

New projection = release in three weeks.

Broken wrist impact = one additional week, not three weeks.
In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks.

You were very clear. You just refuse to accept what it is you're saying. You are saying that the wrist breakage set them back three weeks. Making up a story where you deliberately and laughably try to confuse the numbers 1 and 3 does not change this. In your example, with your made up numbers, the delay is one week. In the real project, the delays is three weeks. In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks.

quote:

The broken wrist being coincident with delays does not mean it was the source of the entirety of the delay.
…except that, just as in your example and especially in the real case, the delay — be it the fictional one week or the real three weeks — is entirely caused by the broken wrist(s).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Roberts hasn't worked a day in his life and you've all seen how that has affected this $95m project.

:iceburn:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It reads as a loving horrible Star Trek ripoff

I don't know if you've heard about this Chris Roberts guy…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jaegerx posted:

In the interests of open development :lesnick: should post the X-rays to his Twitter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

Yep, zero programming experience. I mean, that's not demonstrably false just for my involvement in Star Citizen alone, let alone my professional life, or anything.

Correct. Spouting unsourced and self-contradictory excuses for a failed project does does indeed not demonstrate anything false with such a claim. In rather lends further credence to it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Broccoli Cat posted:

why don't they just use klingon and jabba the hut language?

it's not like they're real loving languages

vietnamese sounds pretty hosed up too

Äh, ta svenska. Det är ändå ett minimalt och allmänt oförståeligt språk som saknar all vett, sans och logisk struktur (särskilt i sitt uttal). Jag skulle föreslagit finska men det har ju redan blivit förvandlat till alvpråk för nästan hundra år sedan så det känns lite repetitivt.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jag gillar särskilt prosodin som är hopplös att lära sig som utrikesfödd. Som i anden - anden. Beroende på vilken stavelse man väljer att uttala med högre tonhöjd får ordet olika betydelse. Låter det som ett unikt exempel? Prova med meningen "jag äter inte godis". Någon av stavelserna kommer du att uttala med högre tonhöjd, och det förändrar helt innebörden i meningen.

It's a shame that the English wiki page doesn't contain any good examples, whereas the Swedish one does. I suppose it's hell of a lot easier to describe in a language that has it than in one that does not. :haw:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

It wasn't a dodge, it was the only response you deserved. None of the conclusions I've posted are hard to reach if you read through the mountains of information available, but no, there's no nice clean source that compiles it all in one place, and I'm not going to take the time to make one for you.
If there really are mountains of information available, it should actually be trivially easy for you to provide at least some sources for portions of your claims. Instead, you offer none, and it is often in direct contradiction to dev statements that have been sourced.

None of your inventions have any rational basis in known facts. This state will continue until you make at least a modest attempt at proving otherwise. Your claims are baseless and inherently false until you make them otherwise.

So yes, it was a dodge in every sense of the word.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nope. There's a reason why onus probandi is a fallacy.
So you do it, and have fun. Until then, your unsourced nonsense remains unsourced nonsense, and the link you provided offers absolutely zero support since it contains no information whatsoever other than the copyright statement at the very end.

quote:

I don't notice you two demanding relevant source material for the claims here that reinforce your own vision of how things stand
That's because the relevant source material was already provided — it was what sparked the discussion, you know. It's this obsession of yours to not actually read things that made you miss this tiny detail, and which consistently leads to your not having any sources to back up your nonsense.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 15, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LastCaress posted:

That broken wrist thing is real? Sounds more like a joke or a line from alanis morissette's ironic

isn't ironic
it's like 94 million dollars in your game's budget
and everything's delayed
because your lead programmer's wrist breaks

It certainly fits the general pattern of nothing in the song being remotely ironic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Guys I just came back through the top secret Stargate project and I'm just back to pack my bags because I discovered a canadian forest world where star citizen was released and I am going back to play it. Peace.
Oh man. You got the dud world. On my tour I discovered a Canadian beach world with a curious lack of the variety in body shapes and sizes you'd expect from an entire population. Instead, it's as if they were all moulded to fit a single ideal.

Angela Christine posted:

I know, right? :words:
It's really bad manners to invent something so vastly more interesting and integrate it into the world so off-handedly. It's almost as if you're deliberately trying to show that CIG (or at least CRobber) are unimaginative hacks. Meanie.

The only thing I'd say about the aquatic idea is that you could still probably go through the stages of internal combustion, of sorts, just not the hydrocarbon-explosive ones we use. I'm not up on my chemistry, but something peroxide-based would probably work, and they'd probably get the idea(s) for reaction propulsion (what with not being able to rely on wheels and rollers for a couple of millennia) and how to make them work in environments where the prerequisite chemicals aren't abundant in the environment. Vacuum is still a huge problem, but one that seems more readily approachable if you're not used to a uniform atmosphere everywhere you go.

Nah. It was the right one. Sure, there are no space ships, but that's just a minor detail and easy to mod in. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 15, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Rome wasn't built in a day

You know… kind of.

It was built long before it became Rome, and flipping the switch from not-Rome to Rome didn't take all that long. It's the advantage of having a solid foundation to build on rather than trying to pull everything out of your rear end at once. :haw:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's more a question of how you define “build” and “Rome.”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

So this game has basically everything Star Citizen promised and then some right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRu9p-3Ois

Nah. Not enough furry rape to satisfy the Brown Sea.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

How long did Paris take to build?

First settlement somewhere around 7,300 BCE; established as a central city after 300 BCE. It became (the first version of) “Paris” properly some time 250–225 BCE.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 16, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

What I'm after is a major city or even a landmark that was not built in a day, my daily smug put downs are relying on this, sounds like Paris could be a goer

http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsEurope/BarbarianParisii.htm

If not that, then there's always Sagrada Família.

e2: Wow. So far, it has taken 18,819 days to build Sagrada Família… now that's some CRobber-level overruns right there.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 16, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

happyhippy posted:

So think there's more chance now that the world's first Time Traveler will just appear soon, carrying the gold master disk?
"We finally finished it!"

Definitely. And then he'll be laughed out of the room for carrying a form of media that no-one can use, because time travel or no, we're still talking CIG-level planning here.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

happyhippy posted:

But then a second time portal opens, and its Mecha-Chris.
He shoots the time traveler with his arm laser, takes the disk and says "I just had an idea....", and steps back into the portal.

Well, yeah, but those are the kind of risks you have to take into account as a time traveler. It's in the contract or something.

Ragequit posted:

:laffo: Oh wow, come on. My source's dad can beat up your source's dad.

Everyone knows it's not the dads you have to worry about. The dad may beat up your dad, but the mother will loving kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Nope, can't do cross hairs

:golfclap:

• Locked thread