Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh man, this goes all the way to the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this thread is great this whole debacle is something else. like the OUYA except the cult around it is a thousand times more rabid

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Everything about this is disgusting.

am i understandin this right - the 10k backer reward is some exclusive cosmetic space room? that is horrifying.

whats more surprising to me - as someone who didnt read this thread till today - is the crazy antigoon sentiment by the sc guys. but i tend to stick in the splatoon and miiverse threads so i dunno. but lordy some of the meltdowns over on the reddit and various blogs are unbelievably entertaining

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

redwalrus posted:

it was 10k during the original kickstarter campaign, to get one now you have to refer 1,042 people at $40 each minimum. Not joking.

that is absolutely insane. i am baffled and honestly kind of appalled that people would sink that disposable income and time into a non-product and promises.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can't wait!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I go to Dolvak for all my legit news outlet needs

i never heard an honest man use the word "legit"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sorry, was a quote from carnivale.

best thing about the sandi emails is how easy it seemed to be for beer to get her to continue talking. like, theyre all complaining about how the system is clogged up with these pointless rambly emails, but it started as a genuine request for info and turned into email meltdown almost entirely without provocation. all beer says is "this is an interesting conversation" and boom, 5 or 6 hundred insane words.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

beware the maths anagram

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anderson's glee is the first thing about this whole debacle that has cheered me up. S42 sounds like it has a bonkers cast doing the most rote, boring nonsense

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Star Citizen Thread Read Through Day 2 - 1/10/2016
Chris wrote that the base project is Squadron 42 (soon), Arena Commander/Racing (delivered), and Enhanced community content like the podcasts (delivered). Literally everything else like the PU, Economy, Exploration, etc. are apparently "stretch goals". I had been operating under the assumption that the online PU was the base game and Squadron 42 was a stretch goal. This says to me that they will never have an actual "release" of the online multiplayer portion. Once they get Squadron 42 (Episode 1 lol) out the door, they can scale down the entire project to a level that matches the monthly income and they pump out small content updates to what is now called the baby PU. Everyone knows the cultists will wake up to reality someday, but this route will make it so it happens slowly over time and they wake up 1 by 1. The real danger to CIG is if all of them unplug at once.

that was my understanding as well, that SQ42 was secondary to the 'main game' of doing whatever you want in a big space world.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

it looks like being able to access the campaign (for those with 'appropriate packages', lol) was the first stretch goal, at $2m. but the language used - that you need an 'appropriate package' to access it - implies that there's another base-level package that doesn't have SQ42. so yeah. goalposts have shifted. again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

closing all the opened tickets "just because" is another absolutely bonkers decision.

but at this point chris and sandi could just flow a stream of urine directly into some of these backers' mouths and they'd get thanked for all their hard work

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

They just closed all the tickets? That is wonderful news, how loving funny.

apparently everything from last year; if you raised a ticket at some point this year, you're in the clear.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

as much as i'd love to keep jumpin on this ticket closure business more, nobody else has reported gettin' the email in the reddit thread and all the cultits are callin it a hoax for now, so who knows.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love that immediately after this they post:

SilverBullet posted:

I’m not privy to all what’s going on however I was looking up Star Citizen related stuff and stumbled on pics of the emails she sent to someone I cannot mention here. She mentioned "that word" in her email amongst other things which raised a few eyebrows. We're not allowed to dicuss that here i guess? or we'll incur a warning or ban, so best left be.

BETTER SHUSH GUYS

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suppose I struck a nerve.

well well if it isn't turncoat jones

thankyou for all the nerves you've struck and the hours of entertainment gleaned

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XK posted:

From what I've seen and read, this project appears to be based on one of the most pathological examples of spaghetti code I've ever seen in my life. Just listen to the developers in the "verse" videos. They can't even find where certain settings are going wrong. They fiddle around with values to make them work, but they don't have any clue why they eventually work. This is a development scenario that explodes exponentially with every little additional change. Any respectable project would halt everything at this point until they got a handle on what was actually occurring. If you have one or two things like this near the end of development, when everything is in place and you're just polishing, maybe it's excusable to hack a workable fix that works for unknown reasons (see Donkey Kong 64). When you are still far pre-alpha (which this game is by any real metrics), and you have 95%+ of game mechanics yet to be added, this is a show-stopper. When you take into account all the features that have been promised, and apply that against the problems they are currently having with an engine that just lets you fly around space and shoot guns, it's self-evidently clear they will never release anything that is nominally more functionally than what they have now. They will be able to throw in more content, more pretty graphics, and tie a few more mechanics together, but anything beyond that is a $105 million game of Jenga.

it's telling that we can cite Donkey Kong 64 as an example of better game design .

they sound fun.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Here's a tip:
If you suffer from full blown episodes because of spots of white light maybe consider not playing a game set in space which is blackness with points of white light in it :psyduck:

alternately, give so much money to the development of the game that you feel completely entitled to have the game changed to suit your condition

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

It's not in the stretch goals, so they have every right to not do it. So yeah, they can break every single uttered promised that wasn't in writing. All of them. Including birds. Especially birds. And animals. And skinning animals.

at this point, they can break the promises that were in writing too. star citizens will not care.

they will thankfully lap up whatever turd gets dropped to them, like mana from heaven, while defending the companies right to arbitrarily bail on stretch goals. for example, sq42 now being considered the primary game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

What... wait, that actually happened? I thought it was a joke. Please tell me shitizens aren't really letting them get away with this.

there was a quote from some recent video about how SQ42 was considered the main game development now, with freeplay and adventuring and poo poo to be developed after that.

but this is the underlying problem - the team won't ever say anything clearly enough to be interpreted unambiguously, because they want to be able to pull the old "black is white" trick later. they'll change language and talk about "shifts in focus" or "evolution", rather than the black and white development targets they committed to in the fundraiser. it's political doublespeak.

a great example of this is the "rooms system", which is now a complete joke. the initial promise was ongoing personalised rooms, that would update depending on what you did in the universe; for example, a unique starmap for you based on the procedurally generated whatever in the game, hangars that had customised firing ranges and whatever else. but now they're saying "it's done. what's there is the room system", and the excuse is that "how we understand the rooms system has 'evolved' beyond what was initially conceived." this might sound great to Joe Backer in a live video feed, but in reality is just them sliding off the hook for making promises they - once again - couldn't deliver.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really hope someone is keeping track of all the broken promises so it can be posted in one place for people to admire.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

here it is, i found it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know how they got michael jackson involved in this.

michael jackson is the only one who looks happy in this photo and HE'S DEAD

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ravane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlLw9LEmEfw

For the people impressed by Star Citizen Sci Fi Bar Simulator and want a game more intuitive and fun.

control the hands that control the spaceship

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the kickstarter comments are something else; there's comments from december 2014 asking for a timeline and a bunch of folks wanting refunds.

there's this many people dissatisfied with the whole project and somehow there are still absolute die-hard bongos over on the reddit defending the company. its just bonkers and cannot possibly have a happy ending for anyone

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jaegerx posted:

Someone be sure to let Reddit know lowtax is gonna stream. I want to watch the comments and taste their salty tears.

"he's playing it WRONG everyone KNOWS they are going to fix THAT"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wikidd posted:

About a billion pages ago I mentioned I was taking CIG to small claims court here in the UK to get my refund. I just got notice they are defending the claim(!!); some guy called Ortwin Freyermuth, who is a director of CIG, signed off on the action. An hour of that guy's time must be worth more than the money I gave them.

Lol.

stick it to the man WIKIDD, i look forward to the david simon doco of your story one day

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's one hardcore gamer dude

his favourite movie is das boot (which he worked on), and favourite game is star citizen (which he worked on)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if they are seriously going to bother with this great of a length to dispute a $200 refund, they must be financially not looking so crash hot.

it's kind of terrifying and exhilarating to see the multiple-thousand-dollar backers lurking on the horizon. eventually they'll realise what they've bought into and the level of fury and indignation will be colossal

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"well its fun"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

where can i preorder the goty edition

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nation posted:

Chris Roberts as the hamburglar

Ben Lesnick as Grimace

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

stores + alien vistas and sunsets = xenoblade chronicles x, but that's on a console for kids so whatever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cael shaw is a perineum away from signing up to SA just out of sheer antagonistic spite

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

As requested my doodle of croberts as the hamburglar

http://imgur.com/PfKbDzZ

http://imgur.com/zwEjK3c

Keep in mind it's very late here and i'm extremely tired, I think I've made it more horrifying than even I intended (which is saying a lot.....)

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

it gets better the more i look at it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

I'm back after avoiding the thread for a month .... is the game out yet ?

the game is finished, all promises kept, no refunds

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SO IS THE STIMPIRE

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

developed much video games? :smug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Berious posted:

When I was a kid I used to make little text adventure games in basic out of massively branching if then else statements. Didn't know about variables so it was literally all if then else and goto.

Anyway in my professional opinion Tom Cruise has more chance of coming out than Fart Shitizen

me too! i actually still kind of love text adventure stuff, or 'interactive fiction' or whatever they're calling it now. they really were a cool gateway into loving videogames forever. i still remember being scared out of my mind as a ten year old playing the game "theatre", which holds up as a kind of creeping-dread-lovecraftian-horror drama.

text adventures were kind of proof that all you need for "immersion" (to bring it back to star citizen) is a good turn of phrase, the illusion of seamless interaction with the game system (like being able to anticipate the commands users might try out and providing non-generic responses for sensible attempts), and to provoke the imagination of the player. you don't need the fanciest god drat graphics ever, you don't need to be able to do absolutely everything. oh no god drat am i an old person?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i swear they sink more time and effort into weird staff vanity bullshit than the game itself

this is where the squillions have gone

Iglocska posted:

It's impossible to keep up with the thread, did INN ever verify Beer's e-mails? Or are they still having a busy Friday evening?

they didn't because, uh, the contents of those emails don't even matter? the game is going to be great anyways, and sandi has been pushed to breaking point, so cut her some slack.

they seriously wrote up a rank of their favourite internet spaceships instead

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.mnrdaily.com/article/star-citizen-latest-details-peek-at-what-gamers-should-expect-this-year/7405.htm

some vague hype article about "what gamers should expect this year". it's kind of funny that a lot of the statements read as particularly back-handed:

quote:

There's nowhere to go but up for the game

quote:

The game has all the resources to do so, after all, it has $100M worth of donations to get funds from.

quote:

Things can only get bigger for the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So how's it going with fixing the Unmelts that don't take store credit?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6234577/#Comment_6234577

:eyepop: that's a "completionist" backer, meaning he's put at least $15,000 in to the game.

Some nice blowback going on in that thread.

pretty interesting stuff; look forward to these users eventually realising what they've sunk money into and going defcon 1,000

• Locked thread