Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
[Tell Me] How to balance a Gatling Gun mounted on the nose of a spaceship with the need to get out and EVA in order to complete a mission?

Of course, wait until noone is around would be a good idea. Might be a long wait if you cram 1,000,000 nerds into 1,000 locations though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

I don't care. I know two people who know the origins of that 42 number and which predates Star Citizen fiasco. It has absolutely nothing to do with Douglas Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0e3sT_Jeg&t=10s

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Is this the return of the 'bad' Derek I've read about in the past? Seriously dude, you nabbed someone elses screengrab and you got made to look a bit of a prat by somehow thinking the origin of the 'stick the number 42 on the end of everything' idea was anything but a shallow reference to a far better work than anything Croberts has ever had a hand in. Just own that poo poo and move on. We're meant to be mocking the crazies, not becoming them!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just want everyone to know that I was the first one to say, "You're reading quotes." So I want my royalties for that one too thanks.

Same poo poo, different day, that's mine. Exsqueeze me, instead of excuse me.

quote:

Wank you very much.
Yeah, I invented that.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Kakarot posted:

who made this pic of a hugbox

They'll never get it into their spaceship like that! You need to crouch and shuffle towards it then lie on the floor and roll sideways to get it up the stairs. Jeez, these kids don't know anything.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Holy poo poo, do you realize what page we are on?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

darkarchon posted:

So there are planets in SC already…

look at that couch :eyepop:

Is this just a bad photo or is Mrs Lesnick not far off her hubby's size?(are they married idk?)

I feel genuinely bad for the pair of them but wtf is going on there that a. is seemingly encouraging their weight to balloon and b. stopping the others around them from saying 'Ben, I'm really worried about your health. How about we start going for a 20 minute walk every lunch hour?'.

I know there are a lot of fat people around but these two should absolutely be able to get back from the 'could die at any moment' place they're at now with the support of their employer, co-workers and, dare I say it, fans.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Oh what the gently caress? Seriously dude.

BEN, GET HELP!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Berious posted:

In the dark ages when people bought games at shops PC gaming was in a bad place. Consoles were popular and PCs were for massive spergs with too much money. So shops devoted more shelf space to consoles and the PC section seemed to shrink every week. Plus what you did get was often bad ports with console UIs.

Then Steam came along and saved PC gaming now it's worth zillions.

Like everyone to do with games Chris is years behind the curve and his fans eat it up because they are dumb.

Yeah, not to mention the days of..

Configure extended memory
Configure graphics card
Configure sound card
Make boot disk
Type in the 7th word on the 5th line of page 42 of the instruction booklet

Ahh, the good old days :cripes:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

darkarchon posted:

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my immersion

I nearly believed until I spotted the 42 reference in the store credits. That's the problem with goons, always trying to be too clever. :thumbsup:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

smellmycheese posted:

This really is the heart of the matter isn't it? The backers are prepared to believe any old bollocks as long as the bright shiny chariot they have paid ludicrous money for is eventually delivered for them to sperg around in. Once it becomes clear that the shiny ships are actually going to be nerfed and changed if they are ever to even stand the transition from JPEG to polygons, let alone actually be usable then the endgame will be upon us. Clearly CIG have got the easiest possible single seater, straightforward aircraft style ships done first - but as they try to get their heads around the fantasy multi crew nonsense it's going to be more and more changes like we've seen with Chairgate, and the Whalerage will be huge

Yeah, they're hosed.

Unless I'm mistaken, so far they've put nothing into their 'localised physics grids' other than the player characters. The player characters which get spat out into deep space at random intervals. Still, at least the player can realise what's happened and kill themselves (not IRL...yet).

Now imagine when we start seeing scripted NPCs and lumps of cargo being spewed from ships all over the place. I'm sure that wont be ~immersion~ breaking when you've got a dozen copies of a ships crew floating about in empty space.

And all that's just from accidental poo poo. If they were ever to get any assets to exist in the game world rather than just in the client, even my tide-wad self might drop the $45 to build a space-fort out of cargo crates on the ports landing pads, or would they try and lock you in your room for that as well?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Daztek posted:

Hello, do you have cats, if so post cats

We've had a lot of cats lately, how about a decent recipe from the stimpire for me to try out tomorrow?

e: or not from the stimpire, I don't have many body parts lying around.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It'd be interesting to know if the "I bet they're actually secretly further along than any of us know!" crowd thinks the unseen stuff is more complete or less complete than the stuff we've actually seen. Like, is the theory that CIG is showing us this dogshit right now so we'll be completely taken by surprise once they roll out all the secret great stuff? Or are all these almost done systems "almost done" in the sense that the FPS mechanics are almost done and already in the game?

Dude, do you not know anything about game development? You don't just go around showing off progress 'willy-nilly'. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't show off some of the stuff they've come up with..like, EVER! They'll decide it's too advanced for our feeble little minds and be forced to destroy it, that's the kind of technological advancements we're talking about here.

Have you not seen this.. https://i.imgur.com/nbIsaKt.png ?
To me, that shows that the salvaging mechanics are basically completed. And if the salvaging mechanics are finished then that must mean the inventory system is done too. And being as they have a functioning item system that means they will have crafting and trading mechanics all in place and just requiring the final level of polish.

Also take a good look at that image 'Medium Shield Generators', don't you see what that means? That means that they've got ship fittings all worked out and ready to go. I mean why would you have shield generators if you can't fit them to the ships? I bet in two weeks we'll start to see all different types of these 'placeholders' for armor plating and cloaking devices and tracking disruptors and then one day they'll just flip the magic switch and *bing* the finished game will be released.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Gradis posted:

Hello forum,

Be gentle to a new guy or poopoo on me from a great height.

Have nothing to contribute except 1 of my cattys

oh wait I do

in controls u will find thrust @ 75%. bind it to a button. Your are big boy find a spare button, I use space. When you fly at a station\planet\poo and see the timer hit 7 seconds hit said button and you will never overshoot your chariot again.

You can say poo poo and gently caress here, the word filter is for people that aren't registered.

Other than that, nice catte and welcome to the stimpire.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I haven't posted my catte yet in this thread because he's horribly deformed, I think it's some sort of birth defect but I love him all the same...

(I woke him up to photo him)

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 28, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

The Walrus posted:

lol. Jack Russell corgi or fat jack Russell?

Hey, come on now! You know we don't weight-shame in this thread.

Yeah, he's just a Jack Russell that is currently on a strict diet, though that isn't a flattering photo to be fair to the little fella.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

his nibs posted:

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker on this thread (and the previous SC thread), and as the paywall has recently gone up I figured it was about time to:

A. Give Lowtax some cash because I have gotten so much entertainment from SA.

B. Show my appreciation for the outstanding posts in this thread - too many names/posts to mention, but just to say thank you guys (I have learnt not to be drinking when reading as I've ruined a couple of tee shirts with spluttered coffee)

C. :justpost: (I'll endeavour to keep my shitpost quality at a reasonable level, although I don't do photoshops or videos)

I can't give you my CIG story, as I'm not a backer, but I've been aware/fascinated/shocked by CIG since their Kickstarter (I'm an Elite backer, and that's how I found out about Star Citizen). I find myself becoming more and more stunned by CIG's development process/citizen behaviour as this poo poo show has rolled on. There are some truly awful people involved in running this project, and some truly awful backers who are gloriously mock-worthy in my opinion.

Apart from some recent shitposting on the subreddit (man some of those spergs are so far down the rabbit hole there is no saving them) this is my first real leap into the foray...

The rats are leaving the sinking autism chariot, and I want to be around to witness it.

Anyway, just a brief intro. See you around commandos o9

nibs

How long have you been lurking for?

Angle

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Hahaha, unsurprisingly Derek's stream is slowly descending into chaos!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Well I for one am very much looking forward to the 100's of players all parkouring around me on a procedurally generated, Crysis detailed landscape while multiple servers organically and seamlessly hand off which players are being tracked by which, while I sit and fish for a super rare species which I can take across the universe and sell to a collector for a small fortune.

See you in the 'verse cammando o2

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Someone just linked to this old post (c.2013) from Crobberts about the ongoing support of SC. Aside from his ridiculous proposal that game packages and UEC sales would be enough to support SC long term the biggest kicker for me came a little lower down...

quote:

...but I'm betting that Star Citizen with its low overhead will do well enough to allow us to continue to manage and expand the universe.

I wonder how he would respond to the same question now that his"low overhead" consists of four large studios and 300 odd staff? Or are all those hard workers getting the axe immediately upon release? I guess he could always do what other games studios do and put them to work developing other games but being as Chris's entire vision forever has been 'generic space adventure' it's difficult to see where fresh ideas are coming from.

It's pretty easy to see that between 'not being able to turnover enough to keep the lights on' and 'group of companies/people put together for a singular purpose' the only thing that would be worse for CIG than funding drying up entirely, is to actually release the stupid game.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

G0RF posted:

While we wait, for those of you who thought you'd seen the highest-fidelity ladder animations in gaming last October...

Brace yourself for the new and improved variable-speed version of ladder climbing!

That was dev time very well spent. Heaven forbid they cut corners on something so critical. I only hope the reddit community appreciates it as much as they did last time...

Such attention to detail in the way he slides down the ladder with his hands and feet on the side rails! The side rails that have big lumps of metal sticking out of them and so are not at all smooth. :rolleyes:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Barnsy posted:

The comments already imply it's some sort of feature that has never existed before.

To be fair, I fully expected CIG to just stick a <<use>> function on the ladder and then you just sit and watch while your character plods his way to the top.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Decrepus posted:

:laffo:

Have these people never gone up a ladder or seen anyone go up a ladder? Are there no references they could have used? Were no motion caption actors available to act out such a unique and uncommon sight?

When has anyone almost kneed themselves in the elbow when going up a ladder like that?

I think I've worked out (partly) why it's so bad. At about 20 seconds the guy stops going down the ladder and starts going back up and the animation just reverses. That is completely not how humans work.

And that from a company that has 2 3 4 mocap studios?

Edit. Some help from good ol' Fred to show how ladder climbing works, notice how one leg is fully extended at all times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg&t=175s

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 4, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

What the gently caress is this guy talking about 'the ships are priced on their component value'? These guys really are loving insane.

Peter, please hear my words through some kind of mystic, space-physics, voodoo. There is no component system. There is no 'functional utility'. There is no balance, or fighters, or modular rooms or any of that other bullshit. There is no game. There are just pixels and words on a screen and in your head... and they are lying to you.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
No wonder they were nearly cancelled. I bet the stream producer was like...

"Okay, have you brought your game footage with you? I'll queue it up now."
"Uh, we don't actually have any footage to show"
"How are we gonna do a presentation with no footage?"
"This guy will just sit there and talk in vague terms about unachievable features. It's fine, we do it all the time CIG!"

:psyduck:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
So where do CIG go from here? As I see it they either need to seriously fix the PU to at the very least get rid of the gamebreaking bugs and crashes or they need to start showing substantial development of Sq.42.

I don't think they can do the former no matter how much they try, so I'm guessing in the next month we will start seeing very limited 'in-engine' footage from Sq.42.

Looking forward to seeing more :gary: and who knows, maybe we'll get a comedy :scully: smilie or something pretty soon?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Not only is 90% of the 'game' not even designed yet but everything which is in the current release is due to be 'completely revamped'.

...Wait a minute, that doesn't sound like what they're playing is an alpha at all. That sounds like it's a (dun dunn duhh) Tech Demo.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Time for a quick scan over the Star Citizen checklist?

Nearly too close to the truth for comfort.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Nation posted:

im the 22 fps

...with one character on screen, inside a tiny room with fuckall in it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

SomethingJones posted:

fascinating transcript

Sounds like not only have they got this poo poo all worked out but most of it is already complete and working in the secret dev build right now.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Okay, just this one more because of the, you know, sheer signal to noise ratio..

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

flyboi posted:

I'm sure everyone's already over fapping over eq next imploding but aside from a handful of blowhards it was written off as dead a long time ago. They used to have a very open development process but once SoE sold everything off everything changed on EQ Next. Rather than write a bunch of words just watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvlpsvl04qI

Although there are a lot of parallel wtf-isms from eq next compared to star citizen

"Parallel wtf-isms" indeed.

quote:

People were tired of hearing about the game [Landmark] especially when the only thing they really wanted to hear more about was the MMO.

quote:

Many people felt they were just treading water, creating content for a game that was never going to see the light of day.

quote:

...usually followed by a thread about how people need to stop whining and to let Daybreak take their time.

quote:

The developers promised to be open with us, to share with us, to let us be involved in making the game...If this were a typical game, people would expect this sort of silence but when you start by creating a personal relationship with your fans it stands to reason they'll be concerned when you start to clam up.

quote:

This game means a lot to a lot of people.

quote:

A game that completely redefined MMOs.

quote:

I think it's a good object lesson on how ambition and passion alone don't make a game.

quote:

A game called Everquest Next may come out, but it won't be the game anyone in this sub wanted to play.
Anything sound familiar?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

'the young'? She's 35. I guess the twitter picture caught him out. :lol:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

I know we all joke about the 'you don't understand game development' line but can you imagine actually having several hundred dollars (or worse) 'invested' into this project and being told this poo poo by other backers? It must be enough to drive you insane. It boils my blood and I'm just a bystander who isn't dumb enough to have given Croberts money.

They were supposed to release the entire loving game in November 2014! A full year after they've missed the release date they roll out the Baby-PU. A glitchy, broken mess of a tech demo that, when it works, you can do 2 things in. Run around some generic space corridors and fly some badly handling ships. Where is the god-drat game?

People get estimated dates wrong all the time, fine. But they're now talking about Star Citizen (the mmo, not the lovely storymovie no one cares about) not being finished until 2020. 20-loving-20!! How can you acknowledge that someone got their estimate off by a FACTOR of 4 and still think they're competent to lead a project?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Haskell9 posted:

Isn't she 45?

Her imdb says born in 1980 :shrug:

Also, on trying to find a second source I stumbled back across the old 'Is Sandy Gardiner married to Chris Roberts??' thread. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/155826/is-sandy-gardiner-married-to-chris-roberts

Quite funny to think they ever tried to keep that hushed up. I wonder how many pathetic fat nerds got their hearts broken when they found out she had already landed the ultimate in pathetic fat nerd and married him.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

A Neurotic Jew posted:

An interview with former SC lead designer Rob Irving was just put out. The things he has to say about Chris Roberts are not exactly flattering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLwo3YCY_8&t=117s

quote:

Rumours like that don't just spring out of nowhere... there's certainly some truth to the article

:laffo:

e. That's basically the only thing of note in the video but it was also quite clear that the guy was trying to be careful with what he said, "I can't...again something I'm just trying to stay out of"

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 14, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
The biggest thing for me in that video is that he's clearly giving negative views without being led in that direction in any way. The guy interviewing him is clearly a Chris Roberts fan and it would have been easy for Rob to just say 'yeah, Chris is great. Star Citizen fine blah de blah' and no one would have thought anything of it. Equally he could have shrugged off The Escapist mention without really passing comment.

He chose to be a bit more critical and negative than that. He clearly didn't want to say anything too scathing as he's obviously a professional person in the industry and is more than likely still under NDA as well, but the comments he made and the way he supported rather than dismissed The Escapist stuff speaks volumes to me.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Wow, I'm glad it turned out Derek was puppet-mastering back there. For a second I thought he was going to look a little foolish!

Phew

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

EminusSleepus posted:

CIG should buy the new humble bundle now to save on CryEngine assets

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

There's a reason the 'Generic grey space game' pack isn't included in that bundle, CIG has exclusivity on the mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
:pgabz: :pgabz:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 16, 2016

• Locked thread