Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sooo how about that crowd-funding campaign for a non-existent space retail jpeg simulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

My sources tell me that Austin was always meant to be the main hub. Sandi wanted to stay in CA. And now they have a lavish and super expensive new office build-out in progress. Which is why Austin is being down-sized as part of the move to make the CA office the main hub.

Yes, it's messed up. Yes, it's going to fail.

Good for the locals though, it means in 6 months you'll be able to grab all their office stuff at half price when the bank auctions it off

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hopper posted:

Alright Karl, I respect your decision to back Star Citizen and to try and convince us CIG is doing the right things.
I have a serious question I would like you to answer though, and it is a question aside from all the rumors and speculations of money running out issues and other poo poo, let's forget about all that.

What do you think are valid reasons why CIG would move away from Austin and switching to offices in California, a state with apparently higher taxes, higher costs for basically everything and choosing the most expensive part of LA for it? plus furthermore, instead of renting using what probably amounts to of several million dollars to build their own offices/headquarters? (apparently I understodo this wrong about the custom office building + entrance)

It simply makes no sense. Erin and Foundry 42 being in Europe I can understand, not least because of tax benefits. The Crytek guys in Frankfurt because they would not relocate to the US is a no brainer, including green card issues.
But the move form Austin to LA? I do not not see any valid buisness/development reason for it, especially since they don't sell a tangible product for which they need a flagship store. And even of this would be better to have in Austin, a city known for its amount of software companys and prone totherefore see more potential investors/clients from the industry dropping by.
Instead they move away from a town that apparently offers what software developers need as shown by the large number of studios there and into more expensive LA, which as far as I know is not known for the games industry but the movie industry. The one factor I could see, is the mocap studio they use, but that is Serkis's, which is in the UK.

Not matter whether they spend backer money or investor money on this move. I belive it was simply a wrong decision for which there are no reasons known to me that make any financial sense or sense in terms of the project.
It amounts to a waste a lot of money.

I would be interested to hear your opinion to possibly glean insight into reasons that explain this move.

Just some quick numbers to see the differences:

Santa Monica and their West Hollywood offices are their most expensive by far, with Austin being about half the price on average, if not even more for Santa Monica

The fact they need $50/sqft office space to make ship jpegs is mind blowing

Just for comparison, a company I know of has office space in the most expensive location in the city, near to $68/sqft.... but their market cap is over $8 billion

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A Kickstarter is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for gamers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the gamer than on the developer. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

please source your quote

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

It's now November 2015, the RSI TOS at one time used to refer to "Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of the deposit shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date.", the original estimated delivery date was November 2014, so we've now hit the deadline. It also said "In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on its website to fully explain the use of the deposits for the Game Cost and the Pledge Item Cost."

Some people think this TOS stuff is important and a gotcha to CIG, I'm not sure the TOS is important at all to individual backers as if something even looks like it could come to court it makes much more sense of CIG to just fully refund the backer who's unhappy. But if Derek Smart is trying to get access to the books maybe the "audited cost" part helps him.

They do refund people and that's happened since Derek got involved, so that's a change, everything else is guesswork as to what he's really going to do (if anything).

They will simply say 'November is a whole month guys, don't panic yet! Also get ready for our ship sale this month, we think this new jpeg is really something special. Hand crafted by the finest jpeg artisans this side of the neutral zone HAHahahaha'

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BigMouthSingers posted:

This whole publisher thing, I don't get it. Even if they don't use a publisher, aren't they just self publishing? I'm also not sure I understand the vitriol aimed at publishers. I've seen poo poo decisions made by some publishers, but not all. Yes a publisher would not let you do what you wanted, but then I'm not sure if constantly paying to distribute 30GB+ downloads to your community is a wise use of funds either. Where are the checks and balances?

Also the whole PC master race thing. I liked that aspect of their marketing. I have fond memories of the PC exclusive back in the day. Why did they aim for PC exclusive? Was it purely marketing or was it an engineering decision? Both the PS4 and Xbox One (and Nintendo NX if you believe rumours) are X86-64 which means they could have a build. I understand consoles limitations, but the thing is would having the goal of releasing some content to console provided the restraint that CIG desperately needed at the very beginning of development? Ironically have CIG been hoist by their own petard when it comes to building a PC exclusive for Star Citizen?

It was a marketing tactic, and it worked

They knew by vilifying the 'big evil publisher' it would give them a common ground with the internet nerds, cause everyone likes to help out the little guy struggling against big corporate entities.

If they can manage to stay afloat another year I wouldn't be surprised if we see 'Cloud Imperium Publishing' being incorporated to add to the list of 20 other companies they've opened

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Is every episode near 2 hours long? Because thats almost 200 hours of their lives spent talking about a computer game which doesn't even exist. I can't imagine anyone would be able to look back on their life and think 'yes, that was time well spent'.

Remember these are the same group of people who have spent thousands on gaming rigs, green screens, professional lighting setups, microphones etc, to stream themselves talking about a game that doesn't exist

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is anyone expecting 2.0 to be anything but a minor list of bug fixes and maybe a few shinies to keep everyone complacent?

They will release it along with a long-winded speech from either CR himself, about how they never promised anything and we should all be as super happy as they all are to get a chance at play testing this special piece of gaming history.

Or basically this video but verbalized by :lesnick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbCQr5C_LE

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Honestly giving 10 days as a time frame for 2.0 is pretty smart

If they deliver something at all, cultists will eat that poo poo up no matter how badly it is parped up

If they miss the date, well, game development is hard guys buy more jpgs

Meanwhile over the next two weeks everyone who isn't insane will be playing actual game releases, including but not limited to:

CoD : Blops 3
Fallout 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront
Starcraft 2: LotV
FFXIV 3.1 patch

And lots of other poo poo that will keep most people and the games media from noticing that CIG poo poo themselves again

:gary:

The 10 days wasn't even put on any official channels was it?

Other than an email reply from 'someone' at CIG

Could have been one of the blacks for all we know

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

2300 posts.

I am now 36 days into refund request process, 27 days have gone by since I received a reply from a real live person. 3 follow up emails have been sent.

Anything good happen over the weekend?

Email them about a chargeback, I want to see how quickly they respond

I bet it's less than 5 hours

Bets?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do you wonder if the actual programmers / developers of the game ever get tired of everyone including Ben "I eat job" Lesnick describing themselves as developers?

Kind of reminds me of the people who wear Ferrari jackets, hats, socks, shoes, etc to goto the store.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

Derek will probably chime in with info. I personally have a guess but I just don't like speculating too much without solid data, and really, her potential misrepresenting of her age is a pretty minor offense in the grand scheme. It's probably the most sympathetic lie she would tell (because we all know Hollywood has no use for unknown female properties in their 30s or above.)

I will say that Sandi herself has created a biography so full of contradictions that, if nothing else, we should know better than to trust her as a reliable source. She lies about herself-- a lot-- and brags about herself just as much. How she reached this age-- whatever it is-- without learning that true confidence in self doesn't require perpetual acts of self-congratulation ("I'm currently reading LotR in French", "I train in MMO twice a week with a Six Dan Blackbelt", etc.), attention seeking (like dressing way too provacatively for work), misrepresentation of self (educational credentials / age / professional accomplishments) and alleged humiliation of subordinates (The Escapist accounts) is the bigger mystery to me.

Here is a picture of the thought process for Sandi from age 13 onwards

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

Nixie waiting for Derek's blog.

We have the same mouse pad :):hf::gary:

Roo is not impressed with this delay in the blog

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The blog is just a re-hash of everything we've already known via this thread

:flaccid:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Operating in an engine with this poo poo already working, and they still can't get wheeled vehicle physics anywhere near right, but please trust us with $100 million US dollars

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

JacksAngryBiome posted:

It's a great way to catch up on things for those of us who don't have time to scour all these poo poo posts for the rare diamond.

True I guess

I usually just skim the thread for new pictures, which indicate something funny happened

MeLKoR posted:

They figured You need a Platinum Upgrade to view this link. already?

Holy poo poo those reddit types are way too smart for us... we gotta be SMARTER in the future

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

:psyduck:

BOY I SURE HOPE I CAN HAVE A PARTY VARIANT OF MY FAVOURITE JPEG WITH DISCO BALLS AND RED LIGHTS FOR ALL THE CONSENTING ADULT SERVICES WHICH WILL BE TAKING PLACE.

Go gentle on them, it's probably the only way they'll ever get invited to a party

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fuctifino posted:

... or get laid.

Do Wolf plushies count?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Is that it? We are just posting these links to anyone who grabs an account and platinum now? Should have kept it to PM's.

No point in hiding it anymore I think, they're way too smart and able to crack in

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Wow. If they go through with that, so many people are going to be pissed off. It could actually be a good thing for Star Citizen, as it might chase off the bad seeds. I can't believe he's leaking us info either, I really have to re-evaluate my perceptions of CIG staff.

I must have skimmed over that part in the blog, what is happening with the grey market?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

Dang, you weren't kidding...

So does that mean no more videos of her sucking off :lesnick:'s ego for nerd views?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

They're obviously building the new office in anticipation of the yearly DLC releases... hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha...haha ugh my spleen

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hezzy posted:

Why is legal next to the bosses instead of being confined to the admin area or whatever

Because legal is actually an investor / close friend of Croberts

One of the companies under their umbrella is the lawyers' personal movie production company

Not a conflict of interest AT ALL

PS: when the office actually opens, we need a goon to go there and take a picture of the 'reserved' part of the parking lot

I bet it looks pretty much like the parking garage for pablo escobar if he lived in 2015

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 5, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Special announcement from CIG:

Once the new office is complete, we will be performing all our own MOCAP for the most asked for feature.... Space-Intercourse

We at CIG realize you probably have never had , nor will ever have sex with a real-live human being. So we are prepared to bring the experience straight to your desktop/console/mobile device

Our very own Ben Lesnick will of course be the actor for this interactive experience, as he most closely resembles our core demographic

See you in the 'verse!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

This is a highly staged commercial pretending to be in-engine game footage.

To watch it is to be promised so very much. "This is 2.0 gameplay- we're nearly there! Squeeee! I'll be able to eject from combat if need be, and escape in pod to the nearby planet, and who knows what adventures await me down there!"

No, it isn't, and no you won't.

Someone else mentioned the old benchmark software, and it's pretty apt for this video as well

Everything looks pre-rendered, scripted, and the camera lingers JUST long enough, usually on a stationary scene, and then it cuts away again

I get the feeling the camera stuck around for 10-15 seconds on one spot you'd see all the horrible 'engine trying to pull itself apart' jankyness that we've come to expect

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I missed a few pages it seems, is Derek doing an interview with Doobie or something?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Refund update:

Sent another email to CIG, fresh chain this time, no reply. Informed them that I've begun the dispute on all payments to CIG through paypal.

Fast forward a couple of hours, sitting at home working on a new desk and I see an email update from "support".

Excited. Open email. It's another automated response from CIG informing me, along with the others who I assume have been waiting for 1 month plus at this point, that we are still not forgotten.

:negative:

1 week is an eternity when dealing with support tickets, let alone 4+

How they can be that bad at dealing with tickets for a game that isn't even launched yet is baffling

The only possible reason I could see is if the whales are literally melting hundreds of ships a day, and each one requires some sort of 20 min database voodoo to make it work

Which based on the comment Lando made before about database dick cheese, might just be the case!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mirificus posted:

His true passion seems to be moviemoney-making as does Sandi's.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

imagine getting stuck talking to this guy at a party.

lol no worries there

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Goredema posted:

I realized I had $10 in credit still on my account, and that the cards aren't personalized...

Ordered! It'll either go onto Reddit in six months for three times the cost, or I'll add it to my ever-growing shadowbox of "useless Space Game poo poo".

I think you know the real purpose of buying that card, you're a goon... and what do we do?

Once the card arrives, you find a printer that can re-produce the card, have a bunch made, and flood the market with them for $5 a piece

: Alternately :

Buy as many as you can afford from the storefront, make sure reddit knows you bought 20-30 for yourself, and see how long they hold out the 'it's a limited stock item'

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 9, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Was the answer a lot of hand waving and 'yes' ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

As a side note, this was the last email I received from CIG:

Please keep doing this, it's the only thing entertaining in the thread aside from the cats

What happened to Ben doing stupid poo poo every 5 minutes for us to laugh at?

:allears:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

He counted ships I received, melted, rebought with LTI and then gifted back to the original owner as me gifting ships outright.

I recognize some of those words, but not sure how they all fit together

The fact that you can do any of ^^ that ^^ for a game that doesn't even exist, is part of the problem with the whole grand vision

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Romes128 posted:

my metal amex got replaced with a regular black plastic one when they added the chip on the front in the US. i miss it.

(it's a company card, unfortunately i'm not a whale or id buy all the jpegs).

Just use the company card to buy all kinds of jpegs, and when your boss asks, just point him to the graph showing the jpeg market rapidly rising

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just a reminder

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This was proven to be fake I believe. I think the new policy at CIG is to not give release dates on anything, ever. Also the sig that guy has gives it away.

You're probably right,

But they haven't banned the poster or closed the thread, a little out of the norm for the mods

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Loiosh posted:

I honestly entirely doubt that SC will launch in 2016. I could see some part 1 of SQ42, but I don't think it has a chance of a 2016 launch. I also suspect they're going to have to cut down on the diddling with the ships (the amount of iterations of design work they do). Having a production bottleneck that slow (large ships take 3-6 months) is bad when you are concerned about ongoing income.

As an odd coincidence: a battleship in World of Warships takes six months from selection to release in game.

World Of Warships, a game you can play, while waiting for more ships to be added

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Loiosh posted:

A good one too! Just the right amount of grind so that you can gently caress around without needing to invest money. I kinda stopped for a little while at Tier VII (gently caress the Nagato), to wait for another country to be added. American BBs, the less said the better.

I love those games (World of Tanks) etc, have managed quite a few hours of entertainment out of them and never paid a dime

But the ability is there if you want to spend $5-10 here and there you're free to, not forced to like some OTHER games :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

Karl seems pissed again.

I didn't think it was a great idea to do the interview either, but it's hilarious that they've turned it into 'Friends with nazis and possibly a baby killer also Derek hates women'

• Locked thread