Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Hello new thread.

I'm not too thrilled about going after random internet people who say dumb things, so I hope everything will be resolved peacefully and litigation free.

However, CIG itself seems more exciting.

I'm curious if anybody ever thought it possible that CIG played the grey market. They own the jpgs, they could basically create lots of parachute accounts to auction off grey market stuff for tons of profit.

I'm not sure if that's exactly something to make any kind of legal fight about, but they can control that market and no doubt could bring in enough to buy some cars from. Also now that everything can be bought, all those money trails will vanish pretty fast I guess.

Not an expert. No legal team. Just thinking out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Well this is a surprising turn of events.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say at this point that CIG is no longer interested in making a game, except to trail it's corpse through the money long enough to set up this movie business.

It was cute to pick on CIG and their jpgs and constant, constant failures. But now they're literally flaunting their true intentions out there.

Star Citizen won't happen.

There may be an episode of a broken mess of a Squadron 42, and CIG will probably fold shortly after.

Now I'm by no means a smart guy when it comes to legal matters. But if CIG builds this office, they will also have to sell it when they go under. If they can string this joke long enough to build a AAA movie studio, with a CGI factory, in LA, they will be in a great position to sell this asset off to help fund "the game!!!" a few more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie company Roberts has a vested interest in swoops in to "save the day" or something.

Then the movie company is brushed under the rug as a heroic company who helped make the last few months of bug fixes for S42 possible. Roberts made the best video game he could make given the money and impossible stretch goals, and everybody goes to live happily ever after.

However, CIG money is basically funding this nicely located movie studio, and Roberts will get it basically for free.

Not to mention that the longer this gravy train rides, the Roberts' probably "earn" 1 million or more per year in work wages.

This thing has really taken an insulting course. I don't care if Smart can dance in the ashes, but I really hope people being this shady and grossly negligent get what's coming to them eventually.

I feel sorry for the backers who put loads of money into this, thinking they're going to get a space second life game, when the creator really just wants to make movies.

Rodney-CK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLB28JvEQAg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Why, yes, I've been monkeying with that for my superhero game.

Just want to say: really great job! That's impressive!

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Never able to keep up with this thread...

I know this has been said many times, many ways (Christmas Theme), but why does everybody claim "Because you don't understand game development" each time a milestone was missed, or development takes too long, and things break in regards to CIG's products?

By this same logic, CIG doesn't understand game development. People really need to stop using that as their stepping stool to bash other people with. Please view the Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description and take note of the Estimated Delivery of Nov 2014.

I'm not a game developer, but I do programming and project management in other fields, and when we miss a deadline, it's not all lols and oh wells. It's a pretty serious incident, and you need to have documented reasons and lots of notes on why a deadline was missed. It's not exactly pretty, and it's usually a table that's dead silent with lots of people staring holes into their laps through the surface of the table.

Schedules aren't only important for people externally, but it's important for internal people as well. When something gets checked off, there's a sense of pride, as well as a sense of forward movement. Workers, believe it or not, are human beings, and love to see things have forward motion. The more things get checked off, the more momentum a project can build up, and the more excited the workers are to get things rolling to the next stage. This helps with productivity and staff happiness. I'm sure SC has some sort of internal milestones they're trying to achieve, but it looks like the spit-and-polish first, everything else second, is biting them constantly in the butt.

Having AAA graphics in your demo screams 'this is a completed project', and no doubt for people like croberts, who is a VERY visuals-first kind of guy, getting the 'look' down was the biggest hurdle. I'm sure he's besides himself with not understanding why the programming side is lagging behind the visual fidelity. This also tramples over the "supporters" since they SEE what looks like a AAA product, but FUNCTIONS like a Flash game from Newgrounds. These two items add up to a divide by zero in their heads, and people want their expectations to match what their eyes can clearly see on the screen. The graphics, albeit uninspired, look fantastic. Nobody could ever question that. What they have in their pre-alpha looks better than a lot of finished products. But again, therein lies the Catch-22 with function vs visuals and the expectations the visuals require.

My own personal assumption regarding the original timeline and constant time-based errors is that the Crytek guys made the demo pretty fast. Probably within a few months time. Roberts told them his plan, and based on the original SC Kickstarter and what was asked, they told him it would take a few years, tops, to build what he wanted. They probably advised him that the hardest part would be the graphics, mocap, animations, etc, to achieve what he wanted within a sufficient timeframe. The game itself wasn't exactly breaking the 5th dimension of capabilities and requirements. No doubt he loved to hear this, too, since that's precisely what he wanted to do. What nobody anticipated however, was $100m of code-based promises, made by somebody who doesn't know how to code modern games, and whom has been out of the business for many, many years. Unfortunately, it means there probably will never be a game that adds up to the $100m before they say "Well, we tried. Here you go. Version 4.15.154F is the last update." Of course the Roberts' are going to come out of this looking great, with lots of assets and tons and tons of money, and in Hollywood again. I guarantee the Roberts' will not lose a lick of sleep because somebody can't serve drinks to NPCs aboard their space 747. I'm sure they've already got post-SC plans to break into Hollywood via CGI and motion capture, with Sandi planning to be the next Andy Serkis.

Probably the largest bit of irony surrounding SC is that croberts is very, very determined to get a Hollywood-class movie out of this, and yet most backers want to make their own narratives and could care less about his story.

I'd love to see them have a "5 more hours of cutscenes" sale, and just see where the numbers land.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder when they'll realize the defense of "you're not buying a ship, you're donating and getting a ship for it" is pure semantic sophistry.

As soon as CiG tries to sell a "5 more hours of cutscenes" pack and nobody buys it because they don't get a pretend thing.

This may also cause the inevitable storm of people protesting they want to make their own story, not be forced down the Roberts story vision.

If SQ42 offers in game bonuses for the PU, people will flip over that too since they want their magical super character to be special.

Outside of the technical impossibilities of the game, it will be a social explosion of rage before any of it comes to fruition, assuming they make it that far.

CiG just need to stop development entirely so they can continue to sell dreams. They're going to smash the piggy bank with progress.

Ultimately though, the CiG gravy train will eventually tip the scales, and everybody backing them today will be holding matches and gasoline tomorrow.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
When the thread hits 1000 pages, 10 furious Citizens will spite pledge $1000 to Star Citizen.

(This should bring out the CiG sleeper agents to post, too. The smell of money is too powerful for them to resist)

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Not caught up with the thread. But I am up to the point of the customer service email purge.

This is very amusing, given the light of Beer's email chain. Now they can say, without lying, "We have no record of that exchange."

That's kind of scummy, and really upsetting to all the people in the system with legitimate issues, but the choice for the Roberts' was obviously an easy one. Plausible deniability, backed up with no data to prove it did/did not happen.

Just removing that single email chain would imply guilt or render evidence that their VP of marketing is kinda terrible. In the light of a "full system purge", assuming the brunt of the email happened prior to 2016, now they can claim it was business as usual. Oh, and sorry but your email chain was lost too! Oops.

And of course, everything is perfectly fine. Here, buy some more pictures!

:pgabz:

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

have a stimpire painsoldier

i went with pink because i'm sick of seeing grey poo poo everywhere and also because it makes them more of an eyesore

get it?

sorry for lack of fidelity, had to get this one out fast.

This is my fursona.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

This was shown around Chairgate, and didn't get enough love.

All of science fiction. Anything could be possible.

And this is their design. A Farm Bureau agent, who even in the T pose, looks tired and withered looking, from a bygone era even in today's world. The only ounce of sci-fi is some sort of pilot wings that look photoshopped onto his 1940's era bomber jacket.

I can guess the hat says SERENITY because it's the original 'verse totally created by Roberts and nothing is stolen. You can't even find 42 things ripped off from any other franchise because it's totally new and unique.

The model looks pretty great though. Kudos to the modellers. I can only imagine how they must have felt as they were making a John Rhyes farmer for their ultra future space game.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Star Citizen's art direction is the lack of imagination. The artists are obviously clearly talented but whoever is telling them what to make has no vision of the future whatsoever. I will freely admit to not have having any game development experience, but it seems like it would be a good idea to establish the fundamentals of the game universe before having your art crews spend hours making assets. The image Sandi put on her facebook of "Randall Graves" (the character John Rhys-Davies plays) is a perfect example. There is nothing about that character who suggests they are 900 years in the future. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing jeans. Think about what the average person was wearing 900 years ago in Europe, let alone the rest of the world. Or even what the average person was wearing a hundred years ago. Yet we're supposed to believe that a major, iconic character for a AAA sci-fi game wouldn't look out of place in a trucker bar?

Other universes have done a much better job. Serenity intentionally evokes a "Wild West" vibe by creating a universe where technology outside of the core worlds is rare and the emphasis is on a frontier approach. Star Trek has a universe where scarcity is largely eliminated and as a result clothing is much more uniform. Star Wars emphasized diversity with millions of planets and species, and clothing to reflect that. Star Citizen had some really promising concept art in the beginning, but the actual implementation seems to have completely eliminated all of that. Just look at the civilian attire in the MMHC. Where's the creativity in that? It's ridiculously well done but also utterly uninspired.

I was thinking about clothing, especially utilitarian frontier clothing, would look like in the future. I made some assumptions:

1. Technological development continued to go at an advanced pace, seeing new developments in terms of materials and fabrication techniques as well as medical device technology.
2. The propagation of starship technology allows for the rapid transfer of goods between worlds, encouraging the propagation of trend-setting articles of clothing comparable to the spread of jeans today.
3. Humans as a whole would become healthier thanks to better foods and medicine, eliminating obesity and excessive fat.
4. The needs of space-born living would demand particular requirements for functionality, such as limited vacuum protection in the event of an emergency.

Historically we've seen clothing become more and more form fitting, so I would assume that trend would continue. Presumably with high levels of trade we would likely see a "default" outfit that would gain in popularity, particularly among people with the same physical needs (like space travelers), and stylistic choices would be largely limited to colors and minor details over a common form or extraneous levels of clothing over a functional core. Space-born living would necessitate an outfit that was protective against the elements and vacuum yet comfortable to wear nearly constantly due to the ever-present risk of decompression. Likely such an outfit would stay very close to the body so as to eliminate excess air and maximize efficiency for heating/cooling. There would also be the ability to rapidly seal the suit, so a helmet would probably be seen more often than not.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was already such an outfit prevalently being used in a science fiction game universe...

And it turns out they already had plans for how to allow characters to have style while staying alive...

Amazing what happens when you have vision.

Very well said.

There is also some irony to the history behind the games and the legacy. The later games, where things were able to surpass 320x200 and 256 colors, is when artistic direction could more freely be expressed, especially in the gaming industry.

Just to focus, Wing Commander, even the very old ones, featured guys in "normal clothes" basically. Somebody here even has an avatar of the talking head of the briefing room guy from #1. He basically wore a blue baseball cap and a blue jumpsuit.

Now for the ironic part. Not all of the games in this series are completely devoid of artistic license. In fact, Privateer 2: The Darkening, was very stylish. It may not have featured a lot of skin tight space suits, but it was very clearly different. It was also directed by Erin Roberts.

I wonder if it stings Chris ever that Erin took his legacy and actually made something completely unique with it. Without even being a self proclaimed visionary. It also featured named actors.

P2 was very rough around the edges in gameplay though, and came out during the Video Card wars when Voodoo was still a thing, so it didn't get the reception it could have. But as far as settings go, it was a very Blade Runner feeling sort of world, in space, with very eccentric locales and characters.

If they modernized that style even, it'd be an enormous improvement to what we're seeing now. I'm afraid I doubt Star Citizen will ever come to life, but I'm pretty sure we'll get at least some of SQ42. I'd be more excited for it if their character design was even slightly inspired. Truckers and farmers in today's world doesn't exactly fill me with excitement about the Star Citizen science fiction universe.

The way John Rhyes Davies character looks like a tired old farmer fills me with dread, and I almost know he will be the retired, all knowing veteran who has an old cargo ship secretly outfitted for special operations behind enemy lines. Because we really didn't get enough of that 20+ years ago in Wing Commander, where it was already tongue in cheek at best.

I know people say that the more realistic games get, the more boring they become. SQ42 is shaping up to be that in spades, and part of me is disappointed because I didn't go into this disliking so much about it. The only real thing CIG has going for it is strong artistic capability. If they kill that off, there's literally nothing left. At this point, even if they started to crib Mass Effect wholesale it would be a big improvement to the artistic direction.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Ravane posted:

Does this loving idiot of a CEO even realize how little wheat actually sells for? No amount of Space weed or wheat could ever justify the purchasing this ship. :chloe:

Look at the size of this biome. It's so loving small. You get 32 bushels of wheat per acre, which sells for about $171 per acre. This is not an acre. This is not even the size of a typical one-story house. :wtchris:

The ship salesman that sold this ship has got to be making GBS threads his pants that someone actually bought this piece of poo poo ship, because anybody who thinks they'll actually make money off of it has got to be loving retarded. Also, what the gently caress kind of dystopian society is star citizen set in that bread is not readily available? Christ, Roberts you loving retard, hahaha. :cripes:

You couldn't even make your money back from space weed.

You could probably get like, what, 150 apples every few months? Then you take the apples across the way to the science pod and investigate them, before going to the zoo pod and feeding it to your space horse, Star Citizen.

It's all circular. Just need to see it. Like those stairs from your biome full of plants that probably leads directly to an airlock. Makes space suicide easy for the space farmers who realized too late what they spent money on.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Concept sale will be a dedicated farm ship, or some sort of farming space station, that can be totally customized as a Death Star because reasons. And a pocket carrier.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Yup. Contrary to popular belief, gas giants have solid cores.

This is true. They actually slowly get more and more dense as you descend closer to the core. So it would almost be like falling through gelatin and by the time you hit "solid" you're pretty much going to be permanently stuck.

This is exactly why it's a good idea to build flying platforms over it. Because anything that accidentally drops will be gone forever. None of that "pick it up off the ground" nonsense like those crappy hard-planet dwellers have. That's for the space poors who just can't afford to buy something new when the thing they already have just falls off the side into murky oblivion. Pretty much perfectly encapsulates the Star Citizen motto of "Well just buy another one!"

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

This is what the sad truth of the Stimpire feels like.

On one hand, I'm pretty certain Star Citizen is going to be a ghastly abortion. On the other hand, I'm still pretty confident we'll see Squadron 42 Ep 1 before this explodes.

While I'd like to play it, knowing that I'd need to actually sit though Sandi level acting, and knowing she's going to play a major character just kind of makes me not want to play it at all.

It's kind of like trying to get into a story driven game where the protagonist just kind of sucks. Even if it's great, you still don't really want to play it. In this case, it's probably going to be mediocre-poor gameplay and characters that just rub you the wrong way.

Top it off I'm expecting there will be jabs against people and groups of people in the game itself, just because I doubt they're mature enough to make this thing without crappy nods/sasses towards different communities, even their own.

I'm still looking forward to the inevitable dump truck of reality to back over Chris when he finally realizes nobody wants S42, but they want SC like burning madness.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

D1E posted:

So CIG should have a garage sale. I bet all that stupid Restoration Hardware furniture would sell quickly in Santa Monica. They could also start selling their three sets of mo-cap cameras, as well as various Star Citizen memorabilia they have sitting around.

That should buy them another month or two, right?

This. I predicted this in my blog several months ago.

However what you missed is who will be buying this stuff at dirt cheap prices.

I'll give you a hint: it will be some company Roberts has affiliation with.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
I'm 10k posts behind, but with the speed Star Citizen is being developed, I'm assuming that by the time I catch up with this post, Star Citizen will officially begin development in 2 weeks.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Bad news commandos.

I'm a CIG sleeper shill, and I was specifically activated by the secret code phrase "umm ahh FIDELITY" in the last 10FtC.

I've been waiting years for this moment. I'm programmed to only say good things, or my bones are turned to dust and then refilled with hot lead in a fraction of a second, that last many minutes, and the painful agony triples every second.

Please, fellow goons with stairs, read the following shill pitch that will certainly sway your opinion of this game program:

I love the way Star Citizen has color.

Star Citizen is the best game because it has filed in its directory. The bigger the files, the better it is, where by 10Kb is the Best Game Ever. By this standard, Star Citizen is the last game you will ever need.

I love how Star Citizen has sound.

I love Star Citizen because it uses letters in its name.

If these reasons are not enough for you, right now, to go buy 2 completionist packages, then you clearly not only know nothing about game development, but also nothing about games in general.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Well I am convinced where do I sign up for the beta?

You have undone my years of preparation for this moment.

Roberts senpai will never notice me now.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

AP posted:

Meanwhile at CIG.

Good to see "immersion struts" beginning to block up the concept art's previously unimpeded cockpit view.

By the fifth rebuild from scratch, when the true identity of this ship is unveiled (it will be a freighter that has an attachment for a mining laser on the wings [wings coming on third rebuild]), I anticipate the cockpit to have naught but a killdozer type slot to view space through.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Toops posted:

So pretty big revelation right off the bat.

Q: "What can we expect from clothing in the first iteration ..."

A: "[the implementation you'll get] will kind of be our legacy art [...] Those armor sets will not be in Squadron 42 and [mumble] not in the final game because we've got a whole new character pipeline and tech pipeline with new shaders and alltherestastuff so we're working on those assets and it's a whole step above where the old stuff is, but ... It's not all ready for everyone to use JUST YET (laughs) So we'll be selling that stuff for Alpha UEC down in Arc Corps..."

So the PU is now officially significantly out-of-sync with squadron 42 in terms of the art assets AND the shaders in use, but they'll be selling you the old poo poo that will inevitably be scrapped.

This is again more evidence that the PU is dead. But if they just let it languish and get out-of-sync, that implies PU will need to be re-done, effectively from scratch. There's no way they'd let the PU get this badly out-of-sync with Squadron 42 and whatever newer better fitter happier asset and shader pipeline he's casually waving about in this video.

Serious post time.

This is probably the only game that never came out where things have actually aged out as if they were from part 1 of an ongoing saga of games where the content improves with new generations.

Like, who is going to want to buy "old stuff" like the 300i?

I hope they at least get to the point in the PU where they can implement Stripe or some other automatic CC payment system.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it will be interesting to see them try and find the balance between "all of these assets are obsolete af" and "please buy these assets" in the coming months, after the "Alpha UEC" phase ends.

Obsolete assets coupled with obsolete game stuff people spent money on. Like the 300i. It's like Star Citizen has undergone 1, 2, and 3 real releases and we're seeing the plans for part 4.

turnways posted:

Going off context I'm thinking that's the original first concept art and the strutless version is the latest version (i.e. "here's the first concept art, see how far it's come?") but that would show some vague semblance of evolution through design so I dunno.

I'm sure they are diligently working on these art pieces, because they will look very good on a resume.

But the reality is there will never be an actual game where this is actually playable in the way described. At this point, this thing probably won't even make it to somebody's hangar for them to dream over.

Ghostlight posted:

lol it makes more sense to simply not have a giant glass canopy in the first place. But sure, your retard rollbars are going to totally protect you from space debris.

Actually it makes even more sense to not have a mining attachment telescope out from the front of the ship, but then again my concept of sensible also rules out buying thousand dollar jpegs.

Future space mining in a tiny ship is perfectly safe. Look at the guy standing 5 feet away from some sort of space drill. In the future, there is no OSHA.

To be fully immersed, the guy should be in the laser, looking directly into the hole, so he can play the mining mini game where your laser needs to dodge exploding minerals and get to the gold bars.

He can do this for 6 hours. The other players will immerse themselves by toggling the toilet seat up and down during that period of time. Teamwork!

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

S(h)illy question:

Crobblers says that the current PU assets will not be used in the final game or SQ42, but can that new supa-dupa pipeline of assets be used in the existing PU framework (as crappy as it is)?

The shill line of thought would automatically assume that the PU will simply continue development and the new supa-dupa assets will just be "imported" or "copy-pasted" to it whenever ready, no?

e: for context, most of the cultist in one of my compatriots SC main hubs seem to believe (as in a prophecy) that at some point there will be what they call "the big dump" or "the big copy-paste" of all the work and assets done in SQ42 into the existing PU. It is one of the ways they rationalize the slow progress in the current PU and the fact most resources at CIG are now focused exclusively on SQ42.

People confuse what all goes into an asset. I'm not in video games, but I'm an industry programmer in other fields. So don't jump me too much if I'm crazy wrong.

You have many assets to a game. Art assets are the easiest thing to "port" from game to game. The problem though is the programming behind that asset.

Handing you a box mesh is no different than handing you a 500k poly high detail model of a space ship. Both are useless without programming to make them work.

The complexity of Sq42 is far lighter than anything in the PU. Sq42 can literally be broken into levels. Load level, play animation when you get with box vicinity. Play animation when you click <<Use>> on this ladder to the cockpit. Load next level at end of animation.

Outside of some animations and art assets, you can't convert a single player game into a multiplayer game just by switching numPlayers=1 to numPlayers=200.

Sq42 will not be persistent, and it won't matter. The game will know you have Gun06 at the end of level7a, so you also have it when loading level7b. The complexity of Sq42 is hugely minor to the dreams of the PU. It is even less so than the original concept of SC, which at the time was at least doable.

They might be able to move models and animation over. They should be able to move flight dynamics over. Depending on if the game is first or third person, they might be able to reuse character animation. Outside of that, nothing. Notice everything above is either related to art or can be a simple xml file. The programming is not compatible at all, there will be no big copy and paste of an entire game onto another game.

The focus is entirely on Sq42 because it's doable. Animations and levels don't take a lot. The downside to this is nobody wants Sq42, nobody would pay 110m plus for levels separated by animation movies, real time or not.

CiG has no issues with art. Their problem has always been programming. Mediocre guys can build Sq42, and hopefully learn enough to then turn around and build SC. But this in itself is a broken hope, since virtually none of what they can possibly learn for Sq42 will help them build a seamless multiplayer galaxy full of moving pieces and non-single animation track AI people moving around doing even a quarter of what they promise.

What you see in Arena Commander right now is Sq42's gameplay. The only thing to look forward to is the movie that will play between those gameplay levels. The PU will be deemed "minimal viable product complete" shortly after Sq42. Don't count on episode 2, either. You may get episode 1, and that will be it for the money. The SC dream, as currently wished, is impossible, even if they added a real company like Rockstar to their roster.

Keep an eye on that minimum viable product bar. That is the feature axe that will move unseen, and lead to a "but you always had Star Citizen!" moment.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

That wasn't my point. Taking that leak as a point-in-time event: people were saying the same thing back then "CiG is quiet, nothing is being done, etc" and boom - leak showing all the behind-the-scenes work that no one was seeing. What's not to say that hasn't continued?

Work is being done. Lots of work in fact. These commercials and high detail models don't appear out of thin air.

The core problem though is that leaks were mostly art assets, no functionality behind them. Though I do recall somebody seeing a star marine menu perhaps?

In any event, CiG can throw as much artwork as humanly possible, but that won't code them a game. Roberts has these visions where he just mixes hundreds of ideas together and out pops a game. I no reason to not believe that he designs in the same way, throw art assets in and somehow functionality will materialize.

It's been his Achilles Heel since day zero with endless feature creep. The only "pipeline" in his arsenal that makes good quality and progress is his art department. This is his pipeline he talks about most, and undergoes the most fixes. The reason for this is that his programming skills are so far out of touch, talking about art pipelines and concepts is all he can do. Even that is a stretch. The man is out of his depth, flooded with technical debt, and by now is aware that SC cannot happen but needs dream money that keep his current lifestyle up, so won't let go.

An idiot can take Blender and watch a YouTube video on how to make a character, rig it, and animate it. It might not be AAA quality, but it's there pretty fast. Figure a week.

That same idiot will not have a game in another week. Programming games is hard. Getting things working together is hard. Having game entities interact and do things correctly is hard. Even if it's just a mod.

I'm not saying great art is easy, or fast, because it's not. But I will say a programmer can make a game without an artist, but an artist can't make a game without a programmer.

This disconnect is where Roberts loses. Great Art != Game programming.

So unless your leaks start to contain gameplay, and fixes, and patches that work, you're no closer to seeing a game. You are just reaffirmed in what you already know: CiG has great artists that work above and beyond what the scope of the game can do, and will ever do.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

This is exactly the type of discussion that should be taking place, forget MoMA's derailing.

1. It's time to see the financials and ask where the money has gone.
2. Braben was dead against a roadmap but his hand was forced after the Horizons update fell short of expectations, and he realised that asking for money up front without a roadmap just doesn't cut it these days. They put out a road map early in 2016 and changed the pricing. That's a 12 month roadmap, you see what you will get for your money.

CIG are taking money for ships with nothing to go on except a jpeg, and they get away with it.

1: vanity travel, location upkeep, salaries, and lots of expensive physical items for those locations.

A: Expensive physical items can be sold. What happens to that money? Remember their mocap studio surrounded by 100s of super expensive DSLR cameras? Yes, we haven't seen any pictures from there in a while.

2: Doesn't need a roadmap because the SC project is impossible. You will get no industry leader of successful companies to look at everything promised and say "Yeah, I think these are realistic expectations that can be done."

This is why I'm both fascinated and angered by this catastrophe. It's spitting in the eye of gamers, and at the end of it they will get away with it. Roberts by now has many millions of dollars from this. He won't go to jail, either. He'll just one day say "we ahh.. Ehh.. Gave it our.. Uh.. BEST."

I, like many here, want that Disney ending where the bad guys get it in the end. Sadly, I don't believe that will happen.

That's the angering part.

The fascinating part is that he's getting away with it in front of thousands of people, who even now are feeding him money.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I just thought of something that adds serious points to the scam viewpoint.

CIG seems to be solely focusing on things that would absolve them of legal responsibility. Instead of working on the core foundation of a working game they are using a dead-end broken system way past the point anyone trying to make a game actually would. We argue over incompetence versus intention a lot.

But

-They went straight for the "making of" documentary.
-They are going for an inventory and Calling it "Persistence"
-The official word is that "Boarding / FPS / Promised Mechanics" are present in what they have offered.
-Their engine is completely broken (they even admit it's being re-written) but they keep developing it with things that coincidentally were legal obligations on their part

If they actually know that they can never deliver what they are promising and are just trying to protect themselves from the repercussions of loving over their fans, while STILL loving OVER THOSE FANS that is pure and simple scam territory. If the PU's only actual purpose is to absolve them of legal responsibility and they have no ability or intention to ever do anything but that with it, while still selling promises, that's an outright scam.

"I'm uh.. Ahm... GLAD we were uhm... Able to get STAR CITIZEN launched for.. Ehm.. What what we had ORIGINALLY planned. It's out, THOUSANDS are um. PLAYING right now. Ahm. Uh. You know.. We sort of went into this with the BIG PICTURE of STAR CITIZEN as this um... GIANT LIVING GALAXY. And it is now, so we're happy."

"Our um, PLANS for the FUTURE, after this HUGE RELEASE, is to, um. CONTINUE DEVELOPING Star Citizen through to what other goal we can sort of manage to get in. MANY are planned to go in. Um. We sort of have this GREAT IDEA we'll do for CONTINUED SUPPORT of the game. My um my favorite game I always wanted. I'm uh, I'm looking forward to PLAYING with you in STAR CITIZEN!"

4 months later, servers shut down, game ends. Sq42 Ep 1 did not complete planned PS4 release.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

I looked it up and apparently they use imaginarium for mocap. So i guess my new theory is that he is just an idiot running his career into the ground.

Also ive managed to come this far without hearing him talk, now that i have lol.

They built at least one mocap studio. It was smallish, but had like 100 top of the line DSLR cameras, etc. There was a photo I rediscovered and posted in the other thread of I believe Sandi in the center of them on a chair.

We no longer hear about that because its part of the money net CIG has under them. All of this expensive furniture and assets are part of the end game. They'll buy this poo poo, then as money runs out, a third party "hero company" will swoop in and buy this stuff at cost. It'll be one of the Roberts' many friends or shadow companies.

This influx will be seen as a good thing, so SC development can continue for another 6 months. But the real prize was all this equipment literally paid for buy nerds, that will never be used in game design again.

This whole thing is as genius as it is infuriating. I'd love to see Roberts pay for this, but it's not going to happen. Are they making "best efforts" to make a game? Sure. Not to us, but to the general public yes. Are they extravagant for their employees? Sure. But is it illegal to let your employees have the best stuff? No.

We only see the dumbasses running this thing into the ground, under the guise of game development. We don't see the really loving smart guys behind the scenes making sure everything is kinda sorta legal, and setting them each up for life with gamer money.

Roberts' will play Hollywood quite comfortably well after this "silly game idea" he had has dried up.

Proof is in the verbiage. We already have Star Marine. The PU already has a lot of features of the original pitch, and we're already hearing "minimum viable product" to release.

This IS the end game. But the ELE is going to be a well scripted event where all the important people drive off in their custom Porsches, flipping the bird to the gamers who were dumb enough to ignore literally everything right in front of their faces.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

moveable shape posted:

I am right there with your cynical take... they have the money and position to protect themselves from the consequences of failure. They also have fanatics (paid or volunteer) that will defend them at all costs, regardless of what they deliver

I also think there are sprinkles of legally actionable negligence on that poo poo sandwich. The way they sold ships as assets and allowed them to be traded and let the gray market exist... the compensation of the founders, and potential multi-dipping and misappropriation... the way "pledge" money moved through a network of LLCs with 0 visibility to backers... rumored criminal HR conduct by the loving CEOs WIFE.... the misrepresentation of funds via their tracker 'simulation'...

and on and on and on, I'm not a lawyer but I see potential and there may be enormous amount of documentation from how this project was run and personal accounts from employees that got used up poo poo on and burnt out. Beyond "the didn't deliver the product as promised" which they are actively campaigning against right now, i see other wrongdoing and hope the owners get popped hard for the way they've run this sham of a 'business'

I agree with you. It's 100% shady, 100% really crappy people being vile.

The problem I see though is once these companies dissolve and the money is effectively gone, even with people pulling up to court in custom Porsches, what do you have left? HR complaints from employees in a field we know is tight lipped to the point nobody says anything to risk their future careers?

I'd love to see some people get some payback, or anything. But the timeline is ticking. CIG is designed to not last long. Their products have no future support scenario. This isn't like Walmart, where a lawsuit against the company could hurt because the company isn't going to disappear into the night.

I'm not a lawyer, won't pretend to be, and know nothing about this kind of law or investigation. I see CIG as a lemonade stand on a hot day. Sure, you drank piss, but when you go to get them with the police the next day, all that's there is tire marks. Who do you go after? Who's responsible? You saw Twitter pictures of Ben shredding pages of documents. Once this ELE happens, there won't be a good paper trail. There'll be lots of finger pointing, "We tried our best"'s, and nobody who's going to step up and take responsibility. Now add to that mix this is all spread across 3-4 or more countries.

This is quite literally The Perfect Scam.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Palisader posted:

The thing about CIG finally going under is that there are enough people going through the whole Frisbee on the roof thing that will continue to give CIG money even if someone showed them evidence that all the money was embezzled. Because of them, I suspect that this project is gonna die like one long, wet fart, limping along for months and maybe even years on an IV of cash from nerds who are desperate to do anything besides admit that they spent their money poorly.

Not to keep comparing it to bitcoin, but poo poo man, cmon. Anyone looking at bitcoin from the outside can tell it's a dead man walking, but enough people are continuing to throw good money after bad that they can point to the one measure of success they care about (the current bitcoin price). For CIG it'll be the lovely patches. We'll probably see some fallout after whatever they have for SQ42 is released, but I suspect it won't take much time before that hard core base goes "no it was actually way better than you think and also this means that they can focus more time on the PU!"

I'm not sure. If it does, I'd be curious to see what the Roberts' do.

Right now, there's still big money rolling in. Sure, it's not multi millions, but it's a hell of a lot. Once that dries up, will Chris stick around? Will Sandi? Will it be fun for them when there's not enough money to do mocap acting, but enough to actually work on a game?

I think we'll see some change. Right now we're still milking, but soon that money really will dry up. All these people playing high roller director/actor/actress will soon be faced with reality.

The promises they made are not achievable. The work necessary to achieve even a fraction is not going to be glamorous or fun. Will they actually stick around once they need to do real work? I'm not convinced of that. Chris is playing Game Designer Hero, Sandi is playing Actress, and I doubt either one see "actually making a game" as a fun thing to do. There's a big difference between making dreams and concepts and implementation of those dreams and concepts.

One of those is fun. The other is super tedious, and visible proof of momentum quickly falls to almost imperceptible the closer something gets to being done, but it's part of the real necessary process.

Once the fun is gone, I'd like to see what cards are still standing in the aftermath. For them, measure fun by how much money is rolling in. Remember that this money is actress funds, Porsche payments, nice houses, travel around the world free, vacations to anywhere, free stuff, and a big paycheck. Vanity projects for all (Sq42, acting).

Hard work isn't fun.

This mentality can be seen in every episode of their ridiculous shows. Nothing is prepared or seems hastily scrambled together because preparation is work, planning is tedium, reshoots to fix things are pointless since backers will pay anyhow. They don't value the backers as people, only as wallets.

The big faces aren't in it for the long haul, it's just been that this oil well seems to have endless oil, so they've stuck around longer than they anticipated.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Ben is wearing a different shirt in the picture. This was taken on a different day.

Sandi is probably busy acting somewhere.

I like how scripted these things are.

Just stumbled upon random people playing Uno lol!!!

Yet it's the same people we see everywhere. And the room is completely cold and empty feeling. Except for Grey Guy.

Hey CIG, change it up a bit and have Sandi tweet pictures of her having a good old time near the people working in the work room. The one with bars on all the windows. Feels so super fun and spontaneous that way lol haha woohoo!!!

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
The sickening, heartbreaking truth:

CIG:

Fan Opinion: This doesn't really mean anything. It's not real. They just might like, announce something sometime at the end of the year.

Reality: Goal posts will move. More sketchy, questionable practices will be performed by CIG management and staff. All of 2016 will be spent playing down promises made by the CEO, and lowering final expectations for the "minimum viable product" will continue. No actual game will be released.

Activision:

Fan Opinion: We will be playing this poo poo on 11/4/16.

Reality: Deadlines will be kept, schedules will be upheld. A real, full game will be released on 11/4/16.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh man - you got me.

Man, some of you are loving dense (or trolls, in which case, still dense).

Edit:

In before: "OMG GARBAGE POST," "Shill," "STFU," "Suck my oval office."

Some people just exude an air of "suspicious behavior".

There have been plenty of CIG supporters in here with good posts that didn't breach into that suspicious territory. Loiosh as an example.

Other people in here could even say "it's me, I'm the shill" and nobody would care or believe them because it's a joke.

Personally, I don't think you're Toast. But I do believe you are on a crusade to divert the thread and muddy the waters. If you're not being paid for it, you're really wasting too much effort.

If you love the game this much, go play it and make a YouTube video of how much fun you have. I really want to see people who think this game is awesome go play it.

Convince us it's awesome by PLAYING your game.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

If you strip away all the drama and bullshit the game is poo poo, let us never lose sight of that.
It is an indefensible pile of poo poo

This is the amazing thing about CIG's game.

The game: broken, boring, and undeniably poo poo

The dream: Amazing!

The problem: nobody is playing the game (hell, nobody is even watching the 5 people who play it)

Imagine if there was some way to unite the dreamers with the actual game. I'm willing to bet more than 90% of the big backers and supporters haven't even downloaded the game much less played it.

Show me.

Show me your dream in game.

Show me your vision in the game.

Show me where even an iota of a concept for your idea is happening.

Is being locked in your wank pod for being a bad guy part of the bigger piracy mechanics? Is it the future outline for the hacking game? Is it part of the drink serving mini game???

The REALITY of the game is not even anywhere near the PROMISES. It's like the people making the game aren't even aware of what it's supposed to do. The only common factor is "space, space ships that kind of resemble concept art already sold as something different".

Was "order your ship from space ATM" one of the fidelities?

Was "punishment and kicking from the server for being naughty" a stretch goal?

How about "physics lacking ships that handle like a 3D version of the 1980s Asteroids arcade game?"-goal?

Is the repair station anything like the pages of documents about how repairs will be performed? It's not? :( Does it even slightly resemble that super complex concept? No? :(

How about commando injury? Is it close to the documents? No? :( Just a bog standard hit point system? Ok. :(

Can't we get a shitizen to make a bullet point list of things currently in the game that match the promise about it? If it doesn't quite match but shows the spirit of eventually becoming that thing, that could count too.

Go forth commandos. Convince the unwashed unbelievers with irrefutable evidence! Link your YouTube videos in this thread.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
I love the clothing store. But it's not very realistic because there are too many colors.

Store should just have black outfits.

Somebody remind me which stretch goal the clothing store fell into.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Danknificent posted:

we had to make it to 120 million to get black outfits and slightly darker black outfits commando

I'm in for black pants, black girdle, and black shirt.

But can I be a black female in this fidelity soup? I feel unrepresented in this game.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

^^Star Citizen (2016ish)

Grand Theft Auto 4 (2008)

But look on the bright side, fidelity like this may take another two or three years. This is only pre pre alpha. It'll be many iterations before they can really nail that difficult "clothing store" experience and surpass the 8 or so year old multi platform games.

Let's not even look at PC GTA5. After all, only Rockstar can hope to maybe compete here. If they're lucky.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

G0RF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLMjmYvHOUk&t=413s

Missions may not be assigned to you if you're not wearing the right clothing that you purchased from the appropriate retailer.

If you're a space gamer who longs for sassier, snappier gameplay options, this is the Space Sim you've always dreamed of. Clothing choices have not been this important since FFX-2, and I for one am excited!

01:10 - Appearance Variations
05:26 - NPC AI
08:46 - Female Characters
12:51 - Lore Polling
16:00 - Physical Types
19:02 - Novels (fan fiction is welcomed!)
22:36 - What Would You Wear?
24:57 - Local Group and Planet Support
27:16 - Character Customization
30:21 - Alien Language in Lore Post

Nothing says immersion like 20 players queued up outside a quest character all wearing the exact same clothes. Bonus points for also having the exact same face.

"I was so immersed in fidelity as I waited for my quest 19 dealer to speak to us. We were all in our black pants and black shirts from RobberTone Clothes! I was ready to take on the quest of stealing millions from people!"

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Ok. I've never been on Reddit and have no idea how it works. But I'm going to assume it's like a forum that doesn't remove stuff (unless it's down voted apparently?).

So, my question: is there like a Reddit history where all these INN guys started talking? I'm sure there must be like a "hey I like what you've done, want to start a professionally made fan site for some reason?"

It's also funny (and I bet to them too) that they were compared to WCNEWS. WCNEWS looks and feels like a genuine fan site. It's got that "try hard" kind of thing going for it. INN doesn't strike me as a fan site. It feels more like one of those hype sites set up by a company to hype their game. Only they don't usually say "we didn't make this site".

So is there a history of these guys getting together? I know from the thread that they've basically logged into RSI forums like 4 times. That to me sounds like a super serious fan who would definitely spend tons of time devoted to this thing for no money at all.

Totally legit.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

This is an older topic from this thread, but it occasionally occurs to me, and I am surprised anew each time. It has to do with CIG's warped view of what constitutes "fidelity", one of the many hills this drawn-and-quartered beast has decided to die on.

Think back to the earlier days, before powerful 3D cards were a thing. Say mid-90s. You decide you're going to make a driving game. It runs OK; not great, but livable. Your polish at this point consists of adding side and rear view mirrors to the models. Using the true Chris Roberts approach, you create true reflective surfaces and stick them to the car. Performance tanks, but you have fidelity. Upgrade your systems, plebes!

The real game developer steps in at this point. He points out that the driver's point of view never changes, so there's really no need for a reflective surface. You could just as easily grab a much smaller camera point, place it where the mirror is, capture a very narrow field of view, flip that horizontally and apply it to the mirror surface to simulate a mirror. The game developer points out that to the driver, there is no effective difference, because he sees the same thing either way. He points out that this restores performance, because CPU-intensive ray-tracing is cut down, and it saves on memory as well. In other words, it's a trick.

"No!" screams the autist. "That's a TRICK! That isn't FIDELITY! I want to KNOW, in my mind, that the mirrors are actually REFLECTING things, even though both approaches produce identical images on my monitor! Deep inside, I know it's a filthy trick and they're not really mirrors! You're ruining my IMMERSION in a way that no sane, well-adjusted man could ever identify with, let alone understand!"

Star Citizen takes the same exact approach with nearly every decision they make. They're gonna use CryEngine to build an actual 3D universe with fully modeled 3D components, even thruster physics, with independent gravity grids and god knows what else. In the autistic mind of Chris Roberts, this means he's making no compromises. Except that's not really what it means, is it? Understanding how, when, and where to use "tricks" to allow you to push the boundaries of what is possible is the essence of game development. It's what separates the revolutionary titles from the "also-ran" pap that clutters the landscape. If you read about all the poo poo Valve did behind the curtain to make Half-Life 2 over a decade ago it would make your head spin. Yet out there in a darkened basement somewhere, ignoring the muffled struggling sounds coming from his closet, a neckbeard huffs in irritation while playing, "that's not REALLY breaking glass, they just replaced the texture and put some shards on the ground."

The lesson Chris never learned is that creating a game by putting it together atom-by-atom like it's the world's biggest Lego set isn't "fidelity." It's stupidity.

This level of fidelity is long since gone. It's not in the game now, it will probably never be added in at a later time. Ships turn by magic and look like their only rotation spot is in the center mass of the object.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

I am having a slow day at work. Life is hard. Life is pain.

*buys $500 JPEG*

Same.

I'm just addicted to making sure CIG gets enough money on an hourly basis.

I'm the one keeping tabs on the hourly counter, and my autism forces me to try to make sure every daily balance is just about equal. It's only cost me 100 million, but it's been worth every penny.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

Someone explain to me how that Caterpillar ship has been in development and ON SALE for longer than Star Citizen has been in development.

You're toying with black magic there. Don't think about this too hard.

Go buy a ship and let the space spa bubbles soothe your troubles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004
Hold the phone! 2.4 does bring persistence.

To discover this truth, we harken ourselves to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/persistence, whereupon it reads as follows:

Simple Definition of persistence

: the quality that allows someone to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult or opposed by other people

: the state of occurring or existing beyond the usual, expected, or normal time

To answer these:

Q: Is Star Citizen persistent in that it prevents people from enjoying it and playing it, yet the stoic few continue to try despite it being difficult?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the state of Star Citizen existing beyond what people expected, very unusual, and even far outside of the normal time for things like this?

Let us delve further into the true persistence of Star Citizen, because I know you are not yet convinced.

Full Definition of persistence

1: the action or fact of persisting

2: the quality or state of being persistent; especially : perseverance

Let's look at the next closest word people like to use here, "persistent".

Simple Definition of persistent

: continuing to do something or to try to do something even though it is difficult or other people want you to stop

: continuing beyond the usual, expected, or normal time : not stopping or going away

Q: Is Star Citizen continuing to try to do the impossible, even though all logic is against it, and there are even some people trying to stop it?

Q: Is Star Citizen not stopping or going away? Especially for example, is Star Citizen stopping it's funding campaign despite far exceeding it's expected goals, and normal time for fund raising campaigns?

So there you have it. Sorry nay-sayers and Citizen haters. Just keep on hating. Star Citizen is bringing in the persistence.

You better go buy your Completionist Pack today before this level of persistence ends!

• Locked thread