Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaegerx posted:

I just wanted an updated freelancer :homebrew:

Remember how your favorite part of Freelancer was the cut scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agrajag posted:

HOLY poo poo, they really rented 4 mocap studios for this pile of poo poo? yeah gently caress that this is all kinds of messed up

No, they bought one, rented two, and are now building a fourth.

Nicholas posted:

That "Sneak Peak" escape pod video (released yesterday) is actually recycled footage from like, a year ago

Someone points this out and then an hour later disco lando shows up to say "btw that's actually from last december. also nothing like this actually exists in the game" (the term game here is used loosely)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ro59m/atv2_05_sneakpeek_retailator_escape_pod_recovery/

Welp.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Saddest Robot posted:

So they're flat out admitting that the 'sneak peak' video is just a bunch of stuff they CGI'd together a year ago? Basically a rendered cutscene.

Yup. Were you expecting progress?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Saddest Robot posted:

No. I just wasn't expecting them to start reusing promo pieces from 1+ years ago as new content, then to admit to it.

Yeah the part where Jared admitted it was rather surprising.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Beer--

Could we crowdfund a new custom brew from you-- maybe called "Bitter Tears" or some crap. I would pay good money to have a six bottles of that on hand for the day this finally implodes. I have a couple of friends who are going to need some-- and the higher the ABV, the better.

(I'm 100% serious- and would pledge decent money to that endeavor if you could find it in your heart to concoct it.)

This sounds hilarious. What kind of beer would it be?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Bitter Tears is a great name, and would be perfect for an ipa with some serious hops going on. I would pay just for the recipe and label jpegs

Sounds like fun. I haven't done much into IPAs so it would be a good challenge for me. Obviously we'd want a high level of bitterness, but I still want it to be drinkable so I'll look into ways to properly balance all of that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was just thinking about how if I wasn't banned I would probably have pointed how stupid it is that Jared has enough time to give a tour of an incomplete building but doesn't have enough time to answer questions on Cutlass development that backers have been waiting for since the end of July. But then I realized that, even if I wasn't banned, most of the people who gave a poo poo have already gotten refunds.

Raskolnikov posted:

Agreed but it would actually have to be a game too.

God imagine if SC had any personality at all. It is so generic it is offensive to me as a person.

oldmanspeech.wav

edit: play Dirt Rally and pretend your car is a spaceship. It's a pretty great space game like that.

You said it perfectly. Star Citizen has no personality. It's painfully generic and lacks any kind of coherent vision. I genuinely feel bad for the folks working on it since it's clear that their talents and time are being squandered.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One Winged Angel posted:

Does that include you?

I looked over my account and I wouldn't get any money back. So instead I'm selling off poo poo. I broke even again after selling the Caterpillar and a Mustang Delta, and I still have a Retaliator, Cutlass, and a pair of Gladius upgraded AMD packages to move.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
On the First day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Second day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Third day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Fourth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Fifth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Sixth day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Seventh Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Eighth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Ninth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Nine Lesnicks Dancing :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Mocap Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Tenth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Ten Mods a-Banning
Nine Lesnicks Dancing :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Eleventh Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Eleven White Knights Crying
Ten Mods a-Banning
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

On the Twelfth Day of Backing Chris Roberts gave to me
Twelve Lawyers Suing
Eleven White Knights Crying
Ten Mods a-Banning
Eight Staff a-Firing
Seven Devs a-Quitting
Six Pre-Alphas
Five Stretch Goals
Four Game Dev Studios
Three Lead Producers
Two Echo Chambers
and a Sunk Cost Fallacy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

That graph is also completely wrong. For example Fallout 4, GTA V, etc didn't began after the previous iteration.

Also, Eve online was beta in 3 years, released the 4th.

I need to remember to make a better graph than that lovely one the cult links (it says "source: Wikipedia" which is laughable).

It doesn't matter. If SC takes ten years backers will just say it makes sense because SC is actually two games or some other pathetic excuse.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Apropos of nothing, I'd like to nominate AP as the OP of the eventual new thread.

Bootcha doesn't seem to be interested, Eonwe didn't enjoy it, and Beer4theBeerGod lost that loving feeling (but hopefully is going to brew up some Bitter Tears beer for us).

I think AP would make for excellent moderator.

To wit:

• Authoritative knowledge of the heretical counter narrative of CIG
• Repeatedly evidences concern for the signal-to-noise ratio of a thread
• Tough-minded but generally fair to opponents
• The rapier-sharp wit
• A recent penchant for exploding buggy gifs (always funny)
• Surely willing to wield mod authority more often than our mercurial moderator

I suspect he will decline but I figured I'd throw it out there. This thread has improved in the last few days after a particularly dismal jaunt but I wouldn’t mind seeing a fresh start in the not too distant future.

I endorse this. Also I've been sick/traveling for the last two weeks so I haven't been able to keep up with the insanity as much as in the past.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently Jared is working on the fabled Cutlass update. The one Ben said they would do back in July.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

I miss Beer.

Fallout 4 is a lot of fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

You missed the best part, where Ben replies with 'By replacing I don't mean REPLACING...'

Engineering Debt. The cause of, and solution to, all of CIG's problems.

Also a suggestion I made to CIG months ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Atlanton posted:

I requested a refund and this was the response:

I'd like to tell him to pound dirt, but I'd also like my money back.

JazzPaws posted:

...then on the eighth day after asking for a refund..we have contact...

And excuses "my manager says no" ...it is night in the US manager working nights?

"I can ask again for half"...go and ask twice then..

Stay tuned.

First, call your bank/credit card company/credit union/whatever and ask them for the guidelines to get a chargeback. Find out where the forms are located, etc. Then send a response to CIG:

Explain very calmly and politely that CIG has failed to provide the product they advertised, that there is evidence that the product they intend to deliver is not the product that was advertised when you made your purchase, and that there is no timeline for the delivery of that product. Then say that you have numerous examples of them providing refunds to others without any kind of special circumstances whatsoever and that while you would prefer to work things out with them directly you are willing to utilize the chargeback process if necessary. Explain that you have already contacted your financial institution regarding the chargeback process and they have been extremely supportive. Emphasize that it is very clear that CIG does not have a cohesive return policy, that you will not accept anything less than a full refund, and then list out the individual transactions that you want refunded. Do not ask for a refund on any transactions regarding subscriptions or physical goods that have been delivered (hence specifying individual transactions). Reinforce that you have already been very patient with them and that X days/weeks is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for a response.

Be prepared to follow through with a chargeback. CIG is in the wrong here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

I saw that kickstarter update today and considered cancelling my pledge. That is really not a path I'm interested in going down again.

So long as the changes are cosmetic it's a nice little perk.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DarkRefreshment posted:

Wait wait. Ben's wife works there too? Is the nepotism that rampant? How much more double, triple and quadruple dipping can we have?

I believe she's been there from the beginning, much like Sandi. Remember there was a time when the whole thing was run out of a rented house in Austin. I can't imagine Alexis is happy there, especially given how toxic Sandi has made the workplace. She was really friendly when I met her in person last year and I'm sure dealing with an endless deluge of customer service tickets has been rough.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
From this month's studio report:

I can't think of any image that encompasses how Star Citizen has changed better than this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

They really hate funding going below 20k and have for a good couple of years now. In the past, before they said they'd give a weeks notice before any sale, I predicted a couple of surprise sales as it was such a set pattern, anywhere near 20k/day and a wild sale would appear from nowhere. There's probably good reason behind it, harder to start something from cold rather than keep it drifting along. They do have a ton more backers now so you'd have though 20k was easier, it's not easy anymore.

I wonder if the $20K daily funding is a prerequisite for some of their loans or other financial obligations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

If only Star Citizens would look at CIG as critically.

Oh poo poo I'm crossing a line guys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well since the line has already been crossed...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

First, call your bank/credit card company/credit union/whatever and ask them for the guidelines to get a chargeback. Find out where the forms are located, etc. Then send a response to CIG:

Explain very calmly and politely that CIG has failed to provide the product they advertised, that there is evidence that the product they intend to deliver is not the product that was advertised when you made your purchase, and that there is no timeline for the delivery of that product. Then say that you have numerous examples of them providing refunds to others without any kind of special circumstances whatsoever and that while you would prefer to work things out with them directly you are willing to utilize the chargeback process if necessary. Explain that you have already contacted your financial institution regarding the chargeback process and they have been extremely supportive. Emphasize that it is very clear that CIG does not have a cohesive return policy, that you will not accept anything less than a full refund, and then list out the individual transactions that you want refunded. Do not ask for a refund on any transactions regarding subscriptions or physical goods that have been delivered (hence specifying individual transactions). Reinforce that you have already been very patient with them and that X days/weeks is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for a response.

Be prepared to follow through with a chargeback. CIG is in the wrong here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lemon King posted:

I posted these on Twitter: http://imgur.com/a/4TwgL and it shipped from Guangzhou, China by 4PX Worldwide Express.

If you could PM me the customs label as well I would appreciate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gerbil_Pen posted:

lol customs justice warriors

Like you, I hate it when confiscatory taxes go unpaid

Go get 'em! :downs:

Spite is a powerful motivator.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DarkRefreshment posted:

https://www.cloudimperiumgames.com/contact

I don't know if that's the new or old Santa Monica office. Looking at the google map it is directly on the water. If there is any way to make your costs higher, put your business directly overlooking the ocean. Wise spend of money indeed.

That's the old office. It's about three blocks away from the ocean but there's no view to speak of. It's actually kind of hard to find; the office itself is located down a long hallway that opens up into a back alley on one end and the promenade (basically a bunch of shops) on the other. There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to its location outside of some good places to eat nearby. The office is tiny, traffic sucks, parking is a nightmare (I have no idea if employees have permits but I would hope so), the building itself is really dark, and you need a key to use the restroom.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DarkRefreshment posted:

Still sounds like a lovely place that I bet was still hella expensive. You still have contacts over there Beer? If so, how are they taking the move?

No clue. I supposed everyone is excited to be in an office instead of a giant LAN party.

walruscat posted:

Who is the token in

Who is token? What's his job there?

I believe he does videography.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. Gose looks really awesome and I can't wait to brew some.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

grimcreaper posted:

So, are you actually going to be brewing Bitter Tears? This could be amazing. Also, have you checked your local laws regarding giving away/selling beer and stuff?

Yeah I'll give it a shot brewing it. It looks like a really interesting style that could be pretty challenging since the style seems to call for a very clean, crisp beer that allows the salt, coriander, and lactic acid to take center stage. I've also never done a sour beer before and might have fun experimenting with lacto for the first time. As for giving/selling it selling beer is absolute 100% LOL PRISON gently caress no without a liquor license. It's legal to ship alcohol assuming you do it the right way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

This article is a painfully long explanation about a painfully long development cycle that may or may not be yielding fruit in the near future.

SO GET HYPE!

"It is not designed to go toe to toe with the regular multicrew ships like the Connie, Tali or Freelancer who dwarf the Cutlass not only in size but also weaponry and crew size. "

Then what the gently caress is it supposed to fight?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The whole article is basically a microcosm of Star Citizen:

- They created a starship without any regards to how it would fly.
- They rushed delivery, multiple times, crunching before each release but ultimately having to drop something substandard.
- They repeatedly changed priorities resulting in nothing to show for all the work.
- They outsourced production only to get something that wasn't usable due to poor oversight.
- They have to redesign everything to accommodate mechanics that were finalized after it was built.
- They're promising it will be better once everything is fixed, but have no idea when that's going to happen.
- Their solution to all of the problems is to sell another ship.

gently caress em. They have no idea what the gently caress they're doing, they have nobody in charge who can manage worth a poo poo, and all they can do is come up with more concepts. The whole loving article is nothing more than a laundry list of gently caress-ups, broken promises, bullshit backtracking, and lame excuses. Topped off with a link so you can buy one!

Well the good news is that we finally know what Ben Lesnick means when he says something is a priority.

quote:

“Why are the prison cells on the Blue so small? Are those shelf things supposed to be beds?”

We’ve seen a lot of chatter about this, and as a result have asked the team at Foundry 42 to conduct a complete white boxing of the Cutlass interiors. We’ve made this a priority schedule item, and it will be getting started this week. (The ‘shelves’ are intended to be benches, not beds.)

What a clusterfuck.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 14, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amun Khonsu posted:

Hah cool. I lost interest in this crew after wingman left. He seemed a natural fit for the shows. This crew tries too hard to be funny and cool and falls flat, looking more like an attempt at a stooge act by sideshow bob.

Sorry any fans out there, i just dont like these shows. Maybe i should watch just for photoshop opportunities like this one.

I have never heard a single soul declare themselves as a fan of that show.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

Mike Meaden (Cloud Imperium Games)

Nov 13, 16:25

Hey Everyone, 

Patrick is currently out of office to attend to a personal matter. This is just a friendly update to let you all know that your ticket is still in his queue an he will respond as soon as he can. None of you have been forgotten and we really hate sending out bulk messages like this, but it's really the best way to let you all know that your ticket is still here. :)

We are getting closer and closer each day to beating this backlog and hope that standard service will return soon. Please bear with us just a little while longer. 

Thanks,
Mike

CIG Customer Service. You've been personally assigned to someone. No we don't know where he is. But as soon as he gets back we hope to get to you eventually.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kmillion posted:

I want to believe in this project. I have pledged a decent amount of money, have an Idris-M and a few other ships. I was hooked from the minute I heard about the game. Unfortunately, 2015 hasn't inspired confidence. What happened to Star Marine? Is that going to be released this year? The weekly updates have stopped and transitioned to AC 2.0 updates. It just seems like nothing that was promised in December 2014 has happened. Am I missing something? Has CIG commented on the delays or given an updated timeline?

Sell your ships now. Minimize your exposure. Even if you end up still playing the game everything you "own" now will still be available through play.

The FPS module has been subsumed into a monolithic "AC 2.0" release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Octopode posted:

That's because they've intentionally limited playable portions to the art stuff that's finished. Compare not only the list of ship assets finished versus planned, but the fact they have completed 0 of a planned 100+ star systems, each with individual landing zones and planets and the like, with only two of those even partially completed. Plus NPCs, clothing, ship components, etc. They have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets.

Almost none of the art stuff is finished, and what they've released as "playable" is still a WIP. The Cutlass is a perfect example. Programming drives a significant portion of the assets that have to be made. For ships alone you have flight mechanics, boarding mechanics, damage model, docking mechanics, interior gameplay considerations, and a host of other things that should have been finalized on gray boxes long before we had flyable starships. Instead CIG has wasted a significant amount of time and money having to redo things that were once considered to be in their final form. Three years (really four) into development we still have a limited understanding at best of every major game mechanic that's supposed to be implemented even though people are flying their pretty starships and running each other over in buggies. That's like trying to build a car at the same as as while God decides what the Laws of Physics should be. Not only does CIG have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets, they also have a tremendous amount of waste.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Octopode posted:

Comparing percent complete to percent currently planned rough orders of magnitude and estimating specific release dates are significantly different tasks. The former ought inform the latter, but the latter isn't a prerequisite for a reasonable estimate of the former, particularly in an environment where plans and goals change often.

Rebaselining a program is basically an admission that something hosed up, and that either the technical challenges were greater than you expected, that your ability to project the productivity of your workers is poor, or that circumstances outside of your control have influenced development. There are no circumstances outside of CIG's control that have influenced development so either they hosed up estimating the technical challenges or they hosed up estimating the capabilities of their own workforce. The answer, of course, is that they've done both. Normally rebaselining is a common part of project management; you evaluate the circumstances and take your improved understanding and experiences to establish a new timeline that (hopefully) has greater confidence than the previous one. It's a natural part of any sort of major development. The problem with CIG is that they have rebaselined so loving often that there is absolutely no sense of confidence or credibility left. The FPS alone was rebaselined so many times I've lost count. When that happens the idea of "percent currently planned" is meaningless because it's blatantly clear that there is no plan. Instead we have a bunch of talented, driven people being subjected to constant crunch time at the behest of a visionary with a history of terrible project management who arbitrarily changes things to suit whatever whims he has that day. There is nothing to compare because there is no plan. There is only whatever Chris wants.

Here is the release date: November 2014. CIG told people to expect the game then, they received funding sufficient to meet that goal, and then they failed to deliver. Worse yet they are going to blast by the deadline that by their own TOS means things are so bad that there will be a complete financial accounting. Everything outside of that context, from excuses about expanding scope to their lead FPS programmer breaking his wrists to them changing the approach because it supposedly will improve things, is bullshit. CIG has absolutely no credibility left. Jared, Ben, Sandi, Chris, all of them are liars who will say anything in order to continue the charade that this program is well managed and things are perfectly okay. That you believe a word they say is ludicrous.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It is actually transcribed in that link. Google translate is here.

E: Haha isn't this Beer?

Yeah I did mention that awhile ago. Basically it was a post about how starships should be considered FPS levels and treated as such for purposes of flow and balance. Naturally the spergs freaked out at their immersion possibly being affected by game considerations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

Nope, can't do cross hairs

Brilliant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I remember the post, it was really great. You were wasted on them :911:

Eh. I know that a lot of the devs read the forums and before he left Travis Day called me a "lovable prick" so I don't regret doing it. Plus it was a lot of fun to think about that kind of thing and debate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

haha :stonklol:

does the character not blink? because it looks like he doesnt and its horrifying

also how he awkwardly jumps back into his creepy death stare pose the second the animation is finished. I guess they need another mocap studio or 3 if they want to polish the animations up some more

The social module was a bit of a turning point for me. When it first came out and I saw that CIG was going to be using the same lame "/emotion" system every other MMO on the planet uses, it made me realize that there really wasn't going to be any gameplay innovation to speak of. There are so many ways you can incorporate animations and emotional states without having the avatar be this blank, unmoving statue who waits to be told what to do. One thing I thought would be nice is if they developed a system where the avatar procedurally animated itself based on the length and content of whatever the character was saying (with facial animations recreating the movement of the text) as well as a selector for whatever emotional state the character wanted to be in. Hell steal the emotional states from Inside Out and have the character have the option of feeling neutral, happy, sad, angry, fearful, or disgusted. For characters who want a bit more control you could also offer the ability to emphasize or include certain animations at whatever point you wanted in the string. So if you said "That's a great <*> idea!" then when your character's speech hit the bracketed asterisk it would do something like raise a fist (if happy) or wank off (if disgusted). Or you could add a specific animation like "That's a great </finger> idea!" so your character specifically flicks someone off while speaking.

Oh well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

138 posted:

six different bow emotes seems stupid

Hey those six bow motions took four mocap studios and $500K to develop. It took five different animators ten iterations just to get the angle just right. Six of those iterations were after Chris un-approved the whole thing after he saw a rerun of The Last Samurai.

Erenthal posted:

Isn't that a pretty common disease when you have lovely project management? Focus on small, inconsequential poo poo that is easy to produce and looks flashy (emotes, skins, buggies etc) that you can point to and say "Hey, we're making progress!" while your core gameplay systems that you are to incompetent to make lies rotting by the wayside?

Well the animations need to get made regardless and with parallel development you're going to have a lot of people working on asset generation (are emotes assets?) while your core gameplay remains in a state of flux. That in and of itself isn't necessarily indicative of poor project management. The problem is when asset development has to be scrapped or reworked as gameplay matures. Things like module size, module placement, component standardization (like docking points), repair mechanics, cargo mechanics, and everything else that affects ships at a universal level should be in a mature state before you really crunch into assets as otherwise you end up with a Constellation situation. The worst example is the flight model and CIG's decision to make the thrusters all accurately move the ship. This means that balance changes are not only a gameplay issue but an asset issue as well. It's not an impossible problem to solve but it requires a level of organization and configuration control that CIG has repeatedly failed to demonstrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loiosh posted:

I don't drink alcohol

I'm sorry to hear that.

• Locked thread