Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

wyoak posted:

Is Smart suing goons yet or is that still to come?

Some time in the distant future Dr. Smart will have sued everyone and all that that remains for Herr Doktor is to sue himself. On that day, the four horsemen will gallop out of the heavens and all will know that the :gary: Paaaaarp has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

DreadLlama posted:

Dude I don't mean to be terribly insulting but the Colony Wars series on PSX looked better than the screenshots you've got on steam. Is that HUD 2D?

Next lawsuit target identified.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

D_Smart posted:

^this. It was gloriously hilarious. And cost me $15 in cold hard cash. :gary:

Hmm...I just realized we openly mock people who buy jpeg space ships yet buying jpeg avatars is socially acceptable and encouraged. Where do we stand on buying jpeg space ship avatars?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

Sir, I am interested in acquiring your JPEGs, perhaps for a reasonable fee. Let us meet to discuss such an opportunity.

Quit trolling, those are png and therefore hold no value.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Enchanted Hat posted:

How can a loving auditor be gullible enough to also be a SC whale? I guess it explains why he grew up to be such a weird sperg, tho.

Audit is a Scientology term for determining your Thetan levels. An Auditor is the guy who operates an E-meter and tries to convince you to buy books and such.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nyeehg posted:

This whole mess just makes me sad. Even if the game wasn't a sham, I genuinely fear the reaction these people will have if when this peters out. I mean look at this:

At minimum, we have people foregoing food in order to buy promises and dreams. Even though he tries to excuse it, you should never be spending to the point where you ignore basic necessities. I don't care if it's for a month or an hour, you don't do that. That behaviour is unhealthy.

What's worse, this example is one of the tamer ones. How many people have drove themselves into financial ruin backing this game. At the very least, we know one guy ended up getting divorced because he spent all the family savings on a game that shows no sign of finishing anytime soon.

I'd like to think these are just outliers. However, the community's own actions suggest otherwise. The number of people reacting to Derek's running commentary by dropping hundreds and thousands of dollars on this game cannot end well.

Serious question to crossposting redditors: What is the appeal of pre ordering ships? Even assuming the game gets made and reveals all who spoke ill of the project to be wrong, I don't see any advantage in buying them. They certainly don't provide anything tangible at this point. Why not wait until the game is out before you commit several thousand dollars to a product?

So your post made me think about exploiting mental disorders but first of all I would like to make something clear because several people posted similar things. You can't really blame suicides on video games or whatever because irrational behavior is caused by underlying mental health issues. It's the same thing as blaming school shootings on video games. Those people were nuts in the first place and playing Doom didn't cause them to murder.

The problem is when you exploit people who have mental health issues.

South Park had a good episode on this topic last year in regards to addictive personality disorders and free to play games with micro transactions. Much like gambling addiction, a small percentage of the population has difficulty stopping and will spend until they are homeless. Companies knowingly exploit this and model their games to manipulate these so called whales to make huge profits. An example of this is last year when it was determined that Candy Crush will alter game play to compel users to spend money to continue playing. It is already well documented that Star Citizen is using the same model as micro transactions except with a much higher dollar amount. Star Citizen relies on whales to spend way too much money on jpegs. These are the people, as demonstrated in the above post that are spending all of their money on jpegs and neglecting to set aside cash for food.

Here's what I think would be an excellent topic for Derrick Smart to blog about.

Chris Roberts made a long and defensive post about how Derrick Smart and the Escapist are attacking his game and commented about how the livelihood of 261 developers; A loving COMPANY IS AT STEAK (old joke). He made it clear that his company is vulnerable to such attacks and Derrick is supposedly responsible for threatening the careers of all these people. It's bullshit of course but the main problem is that his company is using a similar model as these free to play companies that exploit addictive personalities. Chris Roberts is exploiting the mental health issues of these whales who buy jpeg ships to enrich himself and his company. He's knowingly manipulating addictive disorders and ruining lives but it's important that his company isn't shut down by dissenters.

Alternately: :gary: PAAAARP!

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2015

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

CrazyTolradi posted:

Thing is, if what he's saying is true then Derek and the Escapist are the least of his concerns. It's not like they're actively sabotaging CIG, just pointing out issues that exist within the company.

I agree with what you say. It's just that Roberts' hyperbole is extremely hypocritical when his lovely business model is designed to manipulate mental illness.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 1, 2015

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

PST posted:

So when some spouse starts divorce proceedings on finding out their partner has dropped tens of thousands on spaceship jpegs, how will the courts handle that division of assets?

Wait, is it that the cultist will give up their house/car/dog rather than ask for a refund?

just like King Solomon, crop the jpeg in half

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Seriously, GTFO of the Games forum unless you're chugging a 2 liter Mt. Dew right now.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here's my catte to get things back on track

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Someone gave Derek 90 million dollars so he's now adding a persistent universe, go karts, and sports ball to his blog. Should be out within 12 months.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe he changed blogging software half way though it :ohdear:

6 months from now he'll complete the fluid simulation for the blog's drink mixing mini game and introduce the fantastic "Hairy Smart" drink to the world.

Edit: Turns out Derek was the one in the wheelchair this whole time!

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 3, 2015

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Croberts hired dsmart to run his new studio in Florida. Dr. Smart was finally able to see the Star Citizen financials and his face melted like when the Nazis opened the Ark.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Percelus posted:

who would of thought dr derek smart would fail to deliver, of all people

Hmm lemmie see...

Goons buy jpeg avatars for dsmart

dsmart promises the ultimate blog post

dsmart never meets a deadline

Dr. Smart's academic credentials are in question

Maybe he's secretly married to Sandi?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3rez1v/the_goons_are_getting_restless/

D_Smart you are turning us into the laughingstock of the internet. :argh:

e: Even Karl is back to mock us. Good lord, the dishonor.

Oh god, reddit is quoting my bad posts. This is the worst kind of internet shaming.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Neurotic Jew posted:

just kidding.

Speak for yourself, I'm standing at full mast.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Someone really should invoke a Toxx clause the next time Dr. Smart makes one of these anti-climactic non-promises. If it was Archer making these promises then we would at least have some jokes copied from the goldmine or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
April Fools?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/31/reddit-removes-warrant-canary-signaling-us-sought-its-user-data

• Locked thread