Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jst0rm posted:

honestly looking at that studio they are building out they could be positioning themselves to do mocap for hire. This would bring in some good revenue.

Searching for mocap in santa monica there are not that many. You always want to be west of the 405 and north of ocean park there seems to be 2 (except dirt cheap soundstage - but thats a crap stage rental and I wont include them).

If this is what they are doing and it isn't just SC related solely, then at least they are doing something more than just selling jpegs to generate revenue.

But if it is just for SC loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

comatose posted:

I thought Croberts said in his citizen con spiel that they'd already done a poo poo load of mocap for the AAA cast. If I'm remembering right it makes the extra studio even more retarded.

Edit: not that you should believe anything that comes out of Croberts' mouth about how much work they've done on the game.

Yeah. The only sensible answers are: Appearance of health and/or a motion capture studio to outsource work for movies/games/whatever to generate more reliable revenue than jpegs.

If it is just for SC then it is totally loving insane.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

They latch on to stupid loving phrases like "Content Complete" and then use them to justify all expressions of faith from then on without ever taking the time to parse out what was actually meant.

I mean the very fact that they are building a new office should indicate to people that CIG is nowhere near a release of this game. Why would you jump to a new office if you were less than a year away from finishing your product? Also, I don't get all the people trying to justify it by saying "Oh they have too many people for the old office." Has anyone seen any indication that they have been hiring? The only news in the last three months has been one firing after another! None of it makes any sense, none of it stands up to the slightest scrutiny.

Rodney-CK posted:

Well this is a surprising turn of events.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say at this point that CIG is no longer interested in making a game, except to trail it's corpse through the money long enough to set up this movie business.

It was cute to pick on CIG and their jpgs and constant, constant failures. But now they're literally flaunting their true intentions out there.

Star Citizen won't happen.

There may be an episode of a broken mess of a Squadron 42, and CIG will probably fold shortly after.

Now I'm by no means a smart guy when it comes to legal matters. But if CIG builds this office, they will also have to sell it when they go under. If they can string this joke long enough to build a AAA movie studio, with a CGI factory, in LA, they will be in a great position to sell this asset off to help fund "the game!!!" a few more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie company Roberts has a vested interest in swoops in to "save the day" or something.

Then the movie company is brushed under the rug as a heroic company who helped make the last few months of bug fixes for S42 possible. Roberts made the best video game he could make given the money and impossible stretch goals, and everybody goes to live happily ever after.

However, CIG money is basically funding this nicely located movie studio, and Roberts will get it basically for free.

Not to mention that the longer this gravy train rides, the Roberts' probably "earn" 1 million or more per year or more in work wages.

This thing has really taken an insulting course. I don't care if Smart can dance in the ashes, but I really hope people being this shady and grossly negligent get what's coming to them eventually.

I feel sorry for the backers who put loads of money into this, thinking they're going to get a space second life game, when the creator really just wants to make movies.

Yeah, I think we are seeing the beginning of the endgame. My guess is that they are going to release some lovely Squadron 42 that is 10 hours of cut-scenes 3 hours of game play. This will ship with an extremely buggy 'persistent universe' that is completely empty and devoid of any substance, never to be fixed. Backers will get their 'ships', but they will all functionally be the same with a different coat of paint. The FPS will be extremely basic and in a separate module that has three weapons and is deathmatch only with two or three maps of generic future shooter. They will do the bare minimum to meet their legal obligations while they try to get back into the movie industry with the mo-cap studio.

If they do anything less than the bare minimum, they are completely hosed. There already has been a successful lawsuit against a Kickstarter that used the money for other poo poo and didn't deliver a product (not doing the bare minimum counts the same). You simply do not get away with pissing away 94 million dollars and using it to do something else while loving over everyone who gave you money. That's called fraud. I think Star Citizens are retarded, but even a retard can feel when someone is openly taking a poo poo on their face.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's insane that Robert's actually said the reason they are building the studio is because they aren't done with mocap. That sounds like the reason you hide from everyone while making an excuse that sounds legitimate. How are people who have invested in this ok with Chris's undying obsession with motion capture? There were literally two seperate 10 minute videos at CitizenCon that were completely devoted to sucking MoCap dick. it isn't exactly a cutting edge technology for videogames and I don't think anyone besides Chris could give a poo poo. But let's build an entire studio so that Sandi can be edited into every scene.

It is because it can't be for Star Citizen. It simply loving can't. There is no universe where that makes any sense. They are literally burning money if this is just for SC poo poo because they already have a mo-cap studio they paid for SC in Manchester. Simon Elms runs cubic motion and has been around since the Gizmondo days, they simply wouldn't abandon him. It has to be to get back into the film industry in some capacity.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

jaegerx posted:

Didn't they build a mocap studio in Austin?

Reading up on this, they were apparently supposed to build a mo-cap studio but instead rented out an apparently expensive one in the UK (which Simon Elms is conveniently the CEO of). It looks like they had all the equipment for one, but just never used it or sent it to manchester, so technically this is the third foray into mocap (First being the promised studio with equipment that was never used, the second with Cubic Motion sending money to Gizmondo friend Simon Elms and the third with this new one).

They might just be re-using tech they already bought, but somehow I don't think that is good enough for Chris.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kakarot posted:

Wait, what happened to their mocap studio? The one they bought with backer money.

They purchased the hardware for it in 2013:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13104-Video-Mocap-Update

They might have set up in Austin (or never set it up), but whatever the case it was never used. They went to Cubic Motion in Manchester. Which is run by Simon Elms (if you want more nepotism, he worked with Erin Roberts at Warthog Games and then later for Gizmondo. It was also more expensive than finding a space for the tech they already had). The video says 'we don't have to go to another studio!' (and then they went and gave money to one of Chris' friends at probably a great expense because he was CEO of Cubic Motion).

So, that tech is now either sitting in a dumpster or sold at a reduced price for new tech for more motion capture now that they are moving to a new office. Why do they need more motion capture? Who the gently caress knows.

EDIT:
I can't even say if it is nepotism or if CRoberts is simply just retarded at managing poo poo.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Young Freud posted:

Didn't they also use Andy Serkis' Imaginarium as well? I recall that being brought up as well because of Serkis as well as they scheduled their session between Avengers 2 and Star Wars. I believe the Squadron 42 cutscenes were done there, just because they have a larger studio to handle big budget film work.

Hahaha, holy gently caress they did:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/02/inside-cig-imaginarium/

This is their fourth foray into motion capture. For a space ship simulator. Four motion capture studios. For a space ship simulator. Four. What the loving gently caress, I think this broke my loving brain.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh my god I'm SO happy I'm out of this mess now

For references, a non-space ship game studio, Creative Assembly, has one mocap studio for their thousands of army men. CRoberts needed 4. For a game that is primarily in space.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Ahahah! A loving mocap studio?! Croberts is my favourite worst producer ever!

It's like he's pointing at new poo poo he notices everyday and goes: "Whoa, that looks cool! We just HAVE to add that to the project!" *weird, creepy-rear end smile*

The worst part is he already bought poo poo for a mocap studio in 2013. And now he wants to buy more updated (and expensive) equipment. He's like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

Replace with movies and motion capture.

Young Freud posted:

But yeah. Four motion capture studios just for a space simulator where you hardly see your face.

I am sure Star Citizens will justify it somehow. Being they are the most gullible motherfuckers out there and willing to give CRoberts more money even though he is clearly rear end loving them with no lube.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

As I said in my latest blog, all four are lifelong friends. So it's not inconceivable that Simon's company got top dollar for their "services".

Yeah, seriously. I mean, that's ok if that's your only mocap studio. Fine, whatever. that poo poo happens all the time. But...

Agrajag posted:

HOLY poo poo, they really rented 4 mocap studios for this pile of poo poo? yeah gently caress that this is all kinds of messed up

They bought 2, rented 2. So instead of building a baseball field, they built two movie studios and rented two concert halls. And the ghosts are all crying in their sleep.

D_Smart posted:

Remember when I broke the news that Sandi was shooting pet movie projects on RSI equipment, paid for with RSI cash? Think bigger.

Yes - this is the end-game playing out. Think is, this build out has been going on all year - and long before some guy named Derek Smart became a PR nightmare for them in July 2015.

I'm going to say it again, they're done. Completely.

D_Smart posted:

When I broke this news in my blog, as is the norm, rabid White Knights called me crazy troll. They didn't even bat an eyelid at the $20K cappuccino machine I said was going in this office.

This is a complete waste of money to move here. Totally.

It won't. I guarantee it.

I kind of think you are right (I am a hedging my bets kind of guy) since you have been right about a lot and I said it could go on for awhile was before I found out they had done mocap 4 times before. Its unfuckingbelievable, really. And it seems they think they can get away with it instead of just having a bug out fund and a flight to Venezuela when this all goes tits up. It is loving absurd to think they are so delusional they can just gently caress around with 90 million and think no consequences will happen because it is crowd funded.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

im pretty sure mush mouth is in the clear as long as he delivers the very barest of bones on a "game". crowd funding is like the wild west right now and the recipients are making out like [insert whatever the saying is]

It might protect him from government action, but I imagine Civil Actions might be less. Regardless, if he does, you can bet your rear end people will take notice when he fucks off with other people's money and nothing happens to him. He might actually be the catalyst that adds some accountability to this poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raskolnikov posted:

I wish I had a real time graph of how many people are playing Arena Commander at any given time. I imagine it looks something like this: http://steamcharts.com/app/37000

edit: I unironically love the void and it is a good game if you like buggy Russian games that like to take a poo poo on you.

I played it before the easy patch. That game was loving brutal.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I love that this is all the Mark Kern "we're building a state of the art studio to produce Firefall related videos and rent out our studio" fiasco with a bunch of extra zeroes added on.

Like, if you can't see how a crowdfunded studio went to get 4 mocap studios in the course of two loving years for a game where you will primarily be sitting in your space ship, I don't know if there is any loving hope for you.

Also you like 10 hours of cutscenes, which beats out Hideo Kojima's longest game by two hours. poo poo just keeps getting worse and worse, and if you are too loving stupid to see what is going on I have absolutely no sympathy for you. At this point if you know all this and are still in it for any amount of money, you pretty much deserve what you get.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Good Dumplings posted:

Jesus, it's like the little rumble you feel right before an earthquake knocks everything over. They're not even trying to hide what they're doing anymore; do they seriously want Hollywood that bad? They already have a bad rep there, who would work with them?

A mocap studio is like a lateral slide back, but there are two things Hollywood doesn't forgive or forget: Antisemitism and breaking a contract. It is a futile dream, much like Star Citizen.

The best they can hope for is famous faces in their mocap studio. Forget acting, producing, directing or writing. It ain't gonna happen.

Hefty posted:

Didn't read this or the last couple threads. I didn't miss anything funny, did I? Game's still humming along right on schedule?

Crobert's game has 10 hours of cutscenes, more than any Hideo Kojima game. He also bought 2 mocap studios and rented 2 for his space sim.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Kins posted:

Becoming a third-party performance capture vendor with all their insane equipment would probably be a pretty smart move - it's what the ARMA guys do! - but there isn't exactly a lack of motion capture vendors in California...

Well, you know what they say, fifth time lucky...?

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't understand how any backer could go 'Wow! Another mo-cap studio! Amazing! And their preview of 2.0 was a year old footage! See you in the 'verse!' You have to be mentally loving retarded to think everything is just fine and dandy.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Berious posted:

I like in the reddit thread they're giving CIG props for admitting it was reused prerenders after someone already called them out earlier.

Yup, mentally loving retarded. Going on three years and no gameplay but pre-rendered poo poo from a year ago. These people are getting what they deserve, honestly. If you can't hold them to task for not showing anything this far out you are hopeless.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hahaha, Star Citizens are the dumbest motherfuckers. I bet Seraph sends his erotic fan fiction to CIG starring him and CRoberts. Along with soggy hundred dollar bills and is angry we are mocking the mushmouth failure of his obession.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

"Reverse the Verse" is on-- very exciting!"

I'm going to just keep editing this with summary notes...

---

Alexis is being asked why the Concierge VIP cards are not customized. She says it's too hard but don't worry there will be customized dogtags -- Squadron 42 ones -- available for preorder in the new year.

So expect those to be delivered by Summer.

---

Oh and now they're explaining why the year-old Retaliator Escape Pod video was regurgitated for the Sneak Peek...

---

Now Ben is explaining they found a bunch of footage-- raw masters of excerpts from the Wing Commander movie -- and they will potentially be editing and releasing unseen footage for all those who loved the film.

---

Alexis is explaining that the VIP Concierge card's latin quote means "Faithful until death". Because they demand your permanent fealty, dammit.

---

Lando and Ben explain that the huge new office is technically not in Santa Monica-- it's in Los Angeles-- so this move is a cash saving move. Which, as we know, is a constant priority at CIG.

---

Now Ben and Lando are explaining what they needed a new Motion Cap studio.

---

"Why are they ignoring 2.0 related questions?" (Ask the fans.) Ben explains "It's at a point where there's not a lot to say about it. It's essentially content complete and is now in the long and boring QA review cycle."

If anyone believes this poo poo they are straight up retarded. 'Why yes, 2.0 is done it is just in Q&A right now. That's why we showed a year old pre rendered footage instead of any gameplay, this is completely normal and acceptable :downs:'

Oh and they are loving delusional if they think anyone outside their brain damaged cultists actuality liked Wing Commander the movie. It is a steaming pile of poo poo that isn't even a funny bad movie, just pathetic. The best two parts is mushmouth and his thumbs up and Matthew Lilard's love interest being slowly pushed off a landing pad by a space bulldozer.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nation posted:

lol im the backer funded film studio

Ahahahahahah, this seriously was a ploy to get back into the movie industry. Holy poo poo. And Star Citizens will eat this up thinking the revenue will go towards the game and not to fund more Hollywood pipe dreams.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pierson posted:

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist :siren: who believes black people are subhuman, women should not have the vote and that it's totally fine to throw acid at feminists to protect traditional values. Gay people are a genetic mistake that should be cleansed and the Taliban were correct to shoot Malala in the face.

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist. :siren: If you search for even a small amount of time you will probably be able to find someone with exactly the same opinions and level of intelligence as him without the insane all-consuming baggage of awful garbage or toxic community that gathers around him.

:siren: Vox Day is a literal neo-fascist. :siren: Who gives a gently caress what side he's on in the internet spaceship debate because the correct answer is 'the airless side of a real-life airlock'.

Left without comment:

quote:

Being an educated, but ignorant half-savage, with little more understanding of what it took to build a new literature by "a bunch of beardy old middle-class middle-American guys" than an illiterate Igbotu tribesman has of how to build a jet engine, Jemisin clearly does not understand that her dishonest call for "reconciliation" and even more diversity within SF/F is tantamount to a call for its decline into irrelevance. Nor do the back-patting Samuel Johnsons wiping their eyes and congratulating her for her ever-so-touching speech understand that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Usually I'm not for excluding people for political viewpoints, but Vox Day is like a guy who reads /pol/ and believes it. He called a political opponent a 'half-savage' because of her ethnicity and responds to an injustice by celebrating a fascist who thinks an appropriate way of getting his message across is to murder children.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Derek is a big boy who has big boy pants, I'm sure he can judge for himself what is good for him or not. Besides, why would you reject more drama?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Friendly Tumour posted:

What's the latest on the lawsuit?

The TOS expires November 30th, after that Derek will file. If he doesn't, oh well. Like I said before, there's a lot that can go wrong with lawsuits so getting hopes up is silly.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CrazyTolradi posted:

People do weird loving things, like dump money into a game that'll only ever see the light of day as a jumbled Frankenstein of code.

Not to mention that poo poo takes time, it's not going to be all over and done in a week or so. I'd except CIG's lawyers to use every method available to them to delay and prolong any legal action.

Yup, pretty much. I don't think the lawsuit will do anything and will be delayed until the end of time.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

One Winged Angel posted:

Many gamers really do not know 'what' Star Citizen offers....

I went into game that offered me a free play (Will not say the game since this is not about what game I was in but about Star Citizen).
Once I got setup in general chat I asked "Anyone going to play Star Citizen?" right away I was attacked and told from that its a scam to vaporware to STFU noob.....

So after the attackers died down I went on to say "How weird, all this hate at a video game! Of all things in life you all hate a video game. I think this game (the un-named one I was in), Star Citizen and even ED has much to offer. Each game is space based but offers something different the other does not. I like them all myself and do not understand why anyone would think variety is a bad thing."

Few minutes later some peeps started commenting things like "Ya, I hope Star Citizen does good because the public has been scammed and broken promises so much in the past it's hard to not to see a game offering what SC does and not be majorly gun shy"

Then I went onto to explain some of the features SC offers. No skills or end game, sandbox, loaning your ships out, link to Death of a Spaceman and no monthly sub's needed and private servers you can customize.

To my surprise most of them knew nothing of this at all and few of them said they wanted to look more into SC.

So what we see here is classic mob mentality.
They hate SC, but never really took a deep dive into what it offers.

Just wanted to share something interesting I noticed about some of the haters.

Yeah and 3 to 4 years later there is absolutely nothing indicating that poo poo exists. There are only disparate, broken as gently caress, poorly optimized 'modules' with no sense of how they will fit together.

They had to use year old footage for a 'sneak preview' of their alpha 2.0. Nobody except Star Citizen fucktards would let a developer get away with pulling that poo poo. And it wasn't even loving gameplay. It was an old pre reneder. They couldn't even be loving bothered to put together a new pre render. And their excuse for not showing anything? 'Oh it is in Q&A, not much to show'.

For your retarded brain, that means the thing is nearly done and only bugs are being worked out. So there is plenty to show in theory. But nope, not a thing.

Anyone who has half a loving brain can smell the poo poo coming from this unwashed rear end in a top hat of a project and has enough sense to stay the gently caress away. They haven't met one deadline and all the other poo poo that went on, and you are describing loving features that haven't been demonstrated after 90 million. They haven't even proved they can get the server architecture for a PU. Only people as loving stupid as you would give this any thought at this point.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hahaha they are selling in game currency when there is no footage of the PU or evidence of a playable PU, holy loving poo poo.

Star Citizen is the worst of the internet and gaming combined. Bitcoin, microtransactions, pay-to-win, 'early access' that never goes anywhere, Scientology, buying concept art...loving hell.

Even Russian and Chinese knock off games weren't this loving greedy. And at least they were games you could play. lovely games, but games. Even games that sold in game currency before the game was out had something you could play and spend that money on.

Starcitizens are the biggest bunch of sycophantic gullible retards I have ever seen in my life.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

TLDR: CIG is much closer to Cutco than they are to Bernie Madoff.

It's both actually. consider jpegs as bad stocks. people are buying them in the hope that one day they will be worth much more than they paid for (see limited edition jpegs). there are people who genuinely think they will make a profit when the game comes out and selling their ships ala Eve.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

^this. All of it. But hey, when I say it, those Redditards create a sub-Red dedicated solely to pointless attacks. But I already gave them another ultimatum before I burn down their JPEGs.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/663796407816617984

That's pretty crazy. I mean, can no one step back and think critically about this? Is nostalgia just that strong? I don't get it, I seriously don't. The question: 'Why is it ok when CRoberts does it and no other studio does?' will probably almost always be 'oh, he made great games in the past'. 1) Its been over a decade since he produced anything, the business has changed so much it is nearly unrecognizable 2) Past success doesn't free you from present consequence. George Lucas made the prequels. Again, why? There simply is no answer but blind faith and trust. Its garbage.

I guess you really can't pull people out of this massive fantasy they have built for themselves.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
For anyone still waiting on refunds, just do a chargeback. CIG used your money, missed every deadline and has delivered nothing but broke, useless poo poo. They owe you, not the other way around.

If they were too stupid to use your money wisely, too loving bad. Or if you have some sympathy for this shitheap of a company, your response should be: 'That is not my problem, that is yours. The due date of the product has come and gone and there is no end in sight. Responses to my inquiries have taken weeks, which is unacceptable. You no longer have my trust as a consumer or a backer that you can keep any promises related to this project or even deliver it in any way previously advertised. You have 24 hours from the time of this email to deliver to my account nothing less than a full refund for any donation (don't refer to it as a ship or product because it loving isn't). If you do not, I will pursue a chargeback as is my right as a consumer.'

They are relying and betting on your passivity to avoid having to give back any money. They know that a chargeback will likely involve a phone call (or several) and that you won't do it. gently caress that. They have belittled you and disrespected you all while taking your money.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also for those worried, by law a chargeback affects neither you as a consumer or your credit. It won't go on your permanent record or some poo poo, it is an indication that the party you are initiating a chargeback against has operated in bad faith and this is your only recourse as a consumer to recover your money.

Also, don't worry about time limits. Typically you will have to explain the situation (if you are too embarrassed to say video game, just call it a crowd funded project) and I sure they will understand. This sort of situation is why chargebacks exist in the first place.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

The reason they freak out once the word "chargeback" appears in a email, is because it HURTS their ratings with their processing company. Too many of those, and they're in deep poo poo, unable to process orders (especially credit cards).

Exactly, which is why it should be constantly threatened at every opportunity, especially if they are stonewalling you for months which is unacceptable. I know third party Chinese monitor sellers that respond faster than CIG does to refund/replacement requests. To take weeks or months is disgusting to me.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From this month's studio report:

I can't think of any image that encompasses how Star Citizen has changed better than this one.

That's pretty funny. Also I'm glad they're showing off some random shop instead of anything substantial.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

having regular sales on poo poo that doesn't exist for a game that doesn't exist from a company that has no track record. this poo poo should be scream scam to anyone that sees it.

That is because Star Citizens are some of the most gullible retards on the planet. They have absolutely no self respect and will let someone poo poo in their mouth just for the privilege of saying it tastes good. Then they will fight people for saying 'Hey, why did you let that guy poo poo in your mouth?'

CIG has absolutely nothing behind it except a 'creative visionary', which means jack poo poo. Peter Molyneux was a 'creative visionary', Spore was backed by a 'creative visionary'. Duke Nukem Forever was backed by a 'creative visionary'.

Vision without perspective is worth nothing.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Saddest Robot posted:

Perspective is just a bunch of RULES put in place by evil publishers to limit what we can see and dream.

Agrajag posted:

burn all evil publishers!

I know, so evil! The thing is, if you don't have a publisher you need a producer or project lead to keep things focused.

A good producer knows when to step back and let the artist art and then knows when to step in and say 'no, this is crazy'. They also have defined goals and to say it is done.

Also art with limitations sometimes produces the best work because it forces you to think creatively and make do with what you have. Art through adversity. Sometimes when you are given an unlimited amount of time and a lot of money, you end up going nowhere because you begin to polish minutiae. Especially if you don't have someone giving advice or you not taking it.

Agrajag posted:

well i can only assume, in Roberts' case, it would be more akin to a movie shoot. so, what is the average pay for Gary Oldman in a movie shoot?

Well, HTC paid Oldman 12 million for a commercial. He is also the highest paid actor in the world. He earned 58 million between October 2014 and October 2015. So someone can break down each movie and can come up with his cost on SC. My guess would be at the very least 5 to 8 mill.

EDIT:

And beaten!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AP posted:

They really hate funding going below 20k and have for a good couple of years now. In the past, before they said they'd give a weeks notice before any sale, I predicted a couple of surprise sales as it was such a set pattern, anywhere near 20k/day and a wild sale would appear from nowhere. There's probably good reason behind it, harder to start something from cold rather than keep it drifting along. They do have a ton more backers now so you'd have though 20k was easier, it's not easy anymore.

This is the ponzi scheme tipping point. Eventually there simply aren't enough buyers to feed the beast anymore and the people you have milked can no longer sustain you, because you have become too bloated.

In ponzi schemes, this is keeping the high payouts. In SC it is keeping up the ridiculous development and demands of CR.

Your whales have typically spent all they have on you and the small amounts they can send don't cut it. The big money that's left isn't going to touch you because they tend to be able to smell poo poo like this. SC is reaching the saturation point, if it hasn't already. It is going to need it's smaller donors to donate larger amounts because new blood is too difficult to find and are highly unlikely going to put in anything more than the minimal amount. And when you add to more and more of your original donors getting suspicious and pulling their money, well, that's when the Jenga tower collapses.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

"FREELANCER REWORK CONCEPT ART
(Work-in-Progress)"

These 7 words say so very, very much about CIG, it's operational efficiency, 'The State of The Game', and more.

It's a WORK-IN-PROGRESS bit of CONCEPT ART for a REWORK of the Freelancer.

Why that doesn't terrify backers at this point I have no idea- but oh well...

Also, that dude doing crunches looks like his arms are as long as his legs...

Hahahahaha they are reworking a ship that has no loving game to play in. This is the sort of poo poo you do YEARS after the game is released. Not to mention the ships that aren't even modeled.

How the gently caress do you even know if it needs one with no game to play in? How does this not prove all the stories about CR being a deluded mushmouth that sends poo poo for revision over and over with nothing ever getting accomplished? Holy poo poo.

Get your money out now, just chargeback because gently caress. You only do this if you want to attract more buyers for a ship. Which means they need money.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let's go over this again.

First motion capture studio was bought and built in Austin in 2013. This was never used, presumably because Chris thought the space was too small.

The second was renting out Andy Serkis' imaginarium a year later.

The third was renting out Cubic Motion, whose CEO is Simon Elms, a good friend of CRoberts and Erin Roberts. If you don't think he got paid more than the going rate lol.

The fourth is a completely new studio in Santa Monica with new, high end equipment. The stuff from the old studio was presumably sold off.

Renting motion capture is not cheap. Building motion capture is not cheap. This is a loving space simulator that nobody gives a poo poo about the single player campaign where most of the mocap is going. You are delusional if you think this is anywhere close to well managed.

Jst0rm posted:

the mocap cut scenes are longer then the first 3 lotr movies for the first ep of sq42. How can this be good?

It apparently has a ten hour long script, which means ten hours of cutscenes or glorified cutscenes, longer than any Kojima game.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 12, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Loiosh posted:

I think you'd have to understand my point of view for that. I'm a fan of Eric Robert's work (even though I didn't play Privateer, my friends did and considered it a good game), so I would not be upset with Eric running a studio that is working on this.

Then you are letting nostalgia cloud your view. The simplest way is to think, 'What would my reaction be if EA did this?' If you can't, then you aren't being objective.

With 94 million, CIG is no longer independent. It cannot be considered as such.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
3 week wait time = good customer service hahahahhahahahah.

Holy gently caress, could CIG have worse customer service than Valve? Is that even possible?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

They bought approx 50 Optitrack Prime 17w cameras - they run about $4,000 each.

However it was mentioned before that using Optitrack isn't the "top of the line" system. It wouldn't surprise me if they trashed it for something pricier.

Chris Roberts has been drooling over Vicon for years.

He said the Vicon is what they were going with for the new studio (I forget where), which is why the old studio stuff is either dumpstered or sold.

Young Freud posted:

So, we have actually five motion capture studios.

Oh come the gently caress on, how many motion capture studios do you need for a space ship game?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

grimcreaper posted:

My last ticket turn around time with Valve was awful. Valve is still the worst by far. Although, i did get 2 seperate "We know your tickets here! We are trying to get to it!" automated responses.

Date Created: June 28th, 2015 Date Closed: October 3rd, 2015.

Ouch. Still, 'our customer service is not as bad as Valve's!' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

At this point, I am 100% certain that this project cannot be rescued and that it's going to suffer a sudden and catastrophic collapse. Especially if croberts fails in finding someone to bail him out again.

I think Roberts is completely incapable of actually giving this project up. It would mean that he's failed yet again and the last time he had something taken away from him he left the industry in spite. I think he will pull the temple down around his head rather than let someone take his project over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It took them 90 million and 4 years to get to a tech demo that just looks pretty and will still be behind every space game in terms of features and playability if it ever gets released. Not to mention the painfully generic art style and universe, with gameplay sounding more tedious than a loving job. Also 10 hours of cutscenes that are written by the retarded mushmouth who wrote wing commander. Yeah, no.

In their complete incompetence they finally managed to get something done that most companies would have done years ago in their position. Also DNF did similar stuff and had large playable portions before being inevitably scrapped.

That said, I honestly do want this game to come out, if only to keep the star citizen community from bursting like the pus filled anal fissure it is and smearing itself back across the internet proper.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread