Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Cool thread, let's get loving weird.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

A band who created a fictitious backstory about a Dadaist art exhibit in 1916 to name themselves after. The story goes that said art exhibit was "anti-artifact, non-historical, and closed," and featured an open fire as its sole exhibit. Their music lies somewhere between classical, art rock, and industrial metal. They performed their very first concert for a single banana slug.

Would you like to hear a song whose lyrics are direct quotes from James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake? Of course you would!

How about a song written from the perspective of the Unabomber? Who wouldn't, right?

For fans of: Mike Patton, Swans, Igor Stravinsky, Meshuggah.
Not for fans of: music that can be easily summed up or explained when it rotates onto your iPod mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Melt-Banana

A Japanese experimental band that sounds like grindcore, post-rock, and J-pop thrown into a blender and chucked out of a jet fighter going Mach 1. The band currently comprises a female vocalist that takes on the qualities of a rapping chihuahua, and a guitarist who uses tons of pedals and effects to create dense, explosive soundscapes of pure chaos; previously they had a bassist and a drummer, but because it was cheaper for only two band members to tour with all their gear, they now play as a duet and synthesize the rest. Became popular in the West due to writing the theme song for the Adult Swim show Perfect Hair Forever, and for touring as Tool's opening act in 2007. In the later stages of the band they've become slightly more accessible, though in their early days they were not afraid of writing tracks that clock in under a minute.

Lost Parts Stinging Me So Cold

Candy Gun

For fans of: cocaine, PCP, and other stimulants.
Not for fans of: people who can't bang their heads due to a medical brace.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

caligulamprey posted:

They've reformed as Free Salamander Exhibit and are in the recording studio right now! :swoon:

Is this thread serious now? I'm note quite sure. I'll throw down anyway:

The Frogs started as an eccentric rock band composed of two brothers, sort of a T. Rex meets Sparks and immediately went absolutely nowhere. The album is actually great, but definitely doesn't sound anything like their output after that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsY_CL1VYY0

At some point Steve Albini got hold of the outtakes from the album and started passing them around, all songs improvised on the spot and never meant for release due to the content: the entire collection of lo-fi folk songs were clearly just two brothers loving around as hard as possible trying to make the other laugh. They did that by pretending to be gay. On every song. Despite being two straight married men with kids, The Frogs were now the spokesmen for the completely made up Gay Supremacy Movement. They also pretended to be two incestuous brothers. They also pretended to be two elderly gay men dying of AIDS in a nursing home recording their final, ultimate statement.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs7vy6BLyRk

Straight people were offended. Gay people were offended. There's no aspect of the album (or their career. See the album Racially Yours) that isn't deeply, truly obscene, even though the tone of the album is pure celebration. It's also loving funny, completely gorgeous, just about every song is an earworm and the production is outstanding. The band wrote wonderful songs and then sabotaged themselves by writing the most insane, G.G. Allin meets Tesco Vee of The Meatmen lyrics imaginable.

The Frogs are the favorite band of all of your Alt heroes of the '90s. Kurt Cobain gets arrested spray painting "God is Gay?" That's a Frogs song. "1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins? That's a re-written Frogs song. Eddie Vedder sings with The Frogs. Kelley Deal plays bass for The Frogs. That one part of that one Beck song? That was a good Drum Break? That's a Frogs sample. Evan Dando crashes Frogs shows, grabs the microphone and starts singing Frogs songs. That's because Evan Dando is terrible. Of course Wesley Willis wrote a song about them. JESUS CHRIST I FEEL SO OLD.

Other great songs:
Sailors Board Me Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtjuQFhU9s
Truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5P5zM8E-U
Jewels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJUKHhW-9w
Grandma Sitting in the Corner with a Penis in Her Hand Going "No, No, No, No, No": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCM-oVdfe9I

Oh my god I'm gonna explode with joy, first you tell me SGM is back and then you give a recommendation that I haven't heard but sounds like it's going to be a complete loving blast

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Tommychu posted:

Nihilist Spasm Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJ2rJhddxE
I know no more about these guys than you would after a hearing this song once and skimming their Wikipedia page but they are certainly the oddest music I've heard in recent memory.

This loving owns. :iia:

Glad you dig it! Will be checking your link in return later tonight

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

caligulamprey posted:

Next year's gonna be super rad, actually: the new Free Salamander Exhibit album, the entire SGM catalog is getting issued on vinyl for the first time and if those sell well, the record company will reissue all the old Idiot Flesh records, too!

Nils Frykdhal spent the entire show threatening the audience with promises to "unleash the funk."

I don't even own a turntable and I might buy them just to help on the Idiot Flesh front, I cannot get enough of these guys.

I realized I hosed up and never listened to To Pimp a Butterfly so I'm correcting that and then giving the Frogs record a spin. In the meantime ...

clipping.

I'm almost positive these guys have received coverage on these forums in some capacity since they're a pretty good crossover for people who enjoy rap, but want something more challenging than what popular rap has to offer. Death Grips would fit in well on a tour ticket with these guys, since they share similar attitudes but different approaches.

Basically, clipping. goes minimal and puts its harsh production and borderline aural noise assault front and center, replacing "angry black guy screaming about drugs and paranoia" with "smooth black guy rapping about all of the other stuff rap raps about, but with sharply-written lyrics and self-awareness bordering on parody." So basically you get club bangers you can't dance to, hustle tracks with shrill screeching and bell chimes, and songs about a hot woman who likes to kill and eat people who think she's DTF.

Body & Blood. I'm linking the uncensored version for full effect. The song where people get eaten.

Get Up. A song with a beat constructed entirely from an alarm clock looped and pitch-shifted.

Oh, and the main MC also does stage theatre in his spare time.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

stay depressed posted:

exactly how smooth is the black guy in this band?

Smoother than the angry black guy in the other band, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

He moved all of his body hair up to his afro with a series of Bosley treatments, and takes baths in coconut oil 3x daily

• Locked thread