Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

mafoose posted:

I've heard from multiple places that rotella no longer has higher zinc content.
Supposedly they switched to something else for the cushioning effect that zinc has because the zinc kills cats quicker.

According to a racer friend, he says even race oils nowadays don't have enough zinc for high lift/high spring pressure flat tappet motors. He'll usually put in a bottle of zddp additive.

I run rotella or Dello on everything except the scion, which gets 0w-20 I believe.

How much is enough? I have seen around 1200ppm zinc from Blackstone in the last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought Rotella t had 1800 ppm, down from 2400

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Geirskogul posted:

I thought Rotella t had 1800 ppm, down from 2400

I've heard as low as 900, I don't think anybody has verified it recently other than confirming that if you're buying Rotella T primarily for zinc content there are better options on the market.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Mobil 1, always

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What the hell I can't be the only guy that uses supertech. A blown engine is the best reason to get a better engine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Woot, an oil thread!

Question: I run Castrol Edge Titanium FST 0W-30* in my BMW, mainly because it conforms to the BMW LL04 Long Life standard. Thing is, I change it every 10k km. Is there a better oil for me, since I don't really need the Long Life part?

*) I used to run Castrol Edge Professional BMW LL04 0W-30 but it seems like it's being phased out.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've always used Castrol Edge in my 'good' cars and when I had the valve cover off of the E39 it was really fuckin' clean. Been using it for ten years, never had an issue, I'll stick with it and my 6000-7500 mile oil change intervals.

In the truck and any car I'm not putting synthetic in, I run Castrol GTX.

I'm not like a diehard Castrol fanboy or anything but it's never given me an issue so I stick with it.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
I used to run all kinds of HIGH QUALITY GERMAN LUBRICANTS in my RS4, but I just don't care that much anymore. Mobil 1 0w40 is what it takes from now on. It's high quality, cheap, and readily available at walmart.

Anyone have tips for spotting mobil 1 sales at walmart?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

What the hell I can't be the only guy that uses supertech. A blown engine is the best reason to get a better engine.

I used to run their filters until I got used to just ordering them from Rockauto / Amazon and keeping a few on hand. I'm going to run the synthetic 75w140 gear oil on the next change in the axles on the WJ because it's the only one that doesn't have any friction modifier, so I can get the amount right with the Mopar stuff.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
T6 in the Mercedes, and the SRT-specific Pennzoil formula in the Viper. I just have the Viper's oil changed every time I bring it in which averages out to 2000 miles or so.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
hmm

Mobil 1 10W30 in the (former) daily-driver G20.

I used to use strictly Rotella T 15W40 in the lovely Durango. It burns some oil now, so I tend to top it off with whatever diesel-grade oil the parts store has on sale.

only had the LS400 for a month, so no oil info there yet. It is about due for an oil change - all the forums seem to say 5W30 Mobil 1 so...

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
I don't know why I keep reading this thread

I put Mobil 1 10W-40 "Racing T Advanced Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil" in my beater 650r. It seems happy enough :shrug:\

:ninja: edit: how much does it cost to send oil out for analysis? I'd love to know exactly when this thing is going to die

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Blackstone just raised their rates to 28 USD for the basic test, Plus postage to ship the sample to Indiana.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CornHolio posted:

I've always used Castrol Edge in my 'good' cars and when I had the valve cover off of the E39 it was really fuckin' clean. Been using it for ten years, never had an issue, I'll stick with it and my 6000-7500 mile oil change intervals.

In the truck and any car I'm not putting synthetic in, I run Castrol GTX.

I'm not like a diehard Castrol fanboy or anything but it's never given me an issue so I stick with it.

This is basically me. New Kia gets Castrol Edge synthetic, F150 with 220k gets Castrol HM. Both in their recommended weights. I do toss some Lucas in the F150 sometimes because it does leak or burn oil.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Whatever is on sale = FTW

Then again I drive shitboxes so YMMV.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The Miata, I run random things in it. Mobile 1 from 40k miles to 90k miles, switched to T6 now. Not sure I really see any difference. Haven't been getting it inspected though.

Wrx, currently running mobile 1, but I've heard there are better things to run.

M3, what ever the gently caress it specs. Castrol tsw 10w 60 or something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Penz Plat 5w20 in the FIT ARMY, and whatever the dealer puts in the new 2500HD DMax. Yay, free 20K of maintenance. After that, it'll be Rotella T6.
Honda OEM Filters in the Fits, and Baldwins in the truck.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Mobil 0WXX in cars, Castrol RS Racing in the bike, and Amsoil :laugh: in the scooter.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My 4Runner gets either Valvoline Max-Life or Castrol GTX in 5w30 with Purolator filters. The oil change interval is approximately "whenever the gently caress I get to it" which is generally 5000-7000 miles of all highway driving. It runs like a loving top with 263k miles, so my maintenance intervals must be appropriate :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bandman posted:

My 4Runner gets either Valvoline Max-Life or Castrol GTX in 5w30 with Purolator filters. The oil change interval is approximately "whenever the gently caress I get to it" which is generally 5000-7000 miles of all highway driving. It runs like a loving top with 263k miles, so my maintenance intervals must be appropriate :v:

I'm too scared to run anything other than OEM filters in our 4Runner. With the filter being up so high and upside down I didn't want to risk getting the wrong aftermarket filter with the wrong anti-drainback valve. Did you research the purolator filters to compare specs with OEM? Or does yours have a different filter setup than what the 4th gen has?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Question for the people that put real effort into getting certain filters and oils: do you do this much work for every other filter and fluid in your car? I run Mobil 1 and either NAPA Gold or Motorcraft in my Mustang and just feel a deep sense of shame when I realize how many other things I've neglected.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

thebigcow posted:

Question for the people that put real effort into getting certain filters and oils: do you do this much work for every other filter and fluid in your car? I run Mobil 1 and either NAPA Gold or Motorcraft in my Mustang and just feel a deep sense of shame when I realize how many other things I've neglected.

It depends on how I feel about the car. I love my Scirocco despite it being a bag of poo poo so it gets Rotella T6. Most my other cars I've thrown in what's on sale although I did make an effort to search out larger oil filters for my SVX since the normal ones were really small.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The less often you change it, the more important the selection. So yes.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

mafoose posted:

I've heard from multiple places that rotella no longer has higher zinc content.
Supposedly they switched to something else for the cushioning effect that zinc has because the zinc kills cats quicker.

No.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2349198
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

Otherwise prove proof that it is lower. I'm not sure why a diesel oil would care about catalytic converters since that is a gas engine problem.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

revmoo posted:

I'm too scared to run anything other than OEM filters in our 4Runner. With the filter being up so high and upside down I didn't want to risk getting the wrong aftermarket filter with the wrong anti-drainback valve. Did you research the purolator filters to compare specs with OEM? Or does yours have a different filter setup than what the 4th gen has?

T4R guys recommended either Wix/Napa Gold or Purolator, so I go with that. Also, I think the 5VZ has a different setup than the 1GR (or whatever the V8 is...can't remember if yours is V6 it V8). I reach through the drivers fender well to undo the filter, and it's at an angle.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
NA Miata - Nappa/Wix Gold + 5w30 Mobil1
EG Civic - Nappa/Wix Gold + 5w30 Mobil1
GE Fit - Nappa/Wix Gold + 5w30 Mobil1 (Oops. Manual says 0w20 but whatevs)
E36 M3 - MANNNNNN filter + 15w50 Redline
All have more than 200,000kms apart from the Fit which has 100,000kms. All are tracked and/or autocrossed in some form.

Gen2 GSF600N - Suzuki filter + 10w40 Motul. What the local shop gives me. I haven't bothered to figure out what my bike's clutches like.

Mobil1 cause it's frequently on sale, Redline cause I like that engine and I'm afraid I'll ruin it, and Motul because I don't know any better.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bandman posted:

T4R guys recommended either Wix/Napa Gold or Purolator, so I go with that. Also, I think the 5VZ has a different setup than the 1GR (or whatever the V8 is...can't remember if yours is V6 it V8). I reach through the drivers fender well to undo the filter, and it's at an angle.

I use the YZZD3. It's about an inch longer, but fits the same base.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Somewhat relevant to this thread, our district manager got bored about a month and a half ago while visiting us and decided to store use and chop open 3 random oil filters to show how they are constructed. Kinda wish he had done one of the fix filters too, but I can't be too picky.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Good old PH3600. Pretty sure that's what my first car took. Fram are such cheap fuckers how much does an extra half a foot of cardboard cut into their profit margins?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Amsoil in the BMW (woot no more oil burning!) with a Mann or Mahle filter and Motorcraft semi-synth in the Focus with a Motorcraft filter.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

tumblr.txt posted:

I want to know if anyone, amped up on the ridiculous hype surrounding gun oils, has tried filling their car with BreakFree CLP or FrogLube.

oh god no

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mr-Spain posted:

oh god no

I know that people have used, and they market themselves as, Militec-1 as engine oil.

Somebody explain amsoil to me.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Napa filters in all my rides - Rotella T in both the old cars, Mobile 1 in the new stuff.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
T6 for the Miata and Saabaru
Mobil1 for my wife's Civic because Costco didn't have Delo that day but there was a huge sale on M1 so I bought a bunch.
Safflower or avocado oil for high heat sautéing and frying.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Fram is the biggest pile of poo poo filter out there. Do not use them, let them die. Wix, Purolator, or gay

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The PH3600 and that series are actually okay. Just not great. They get used on fleet vehicles all of the time. Other fram filters, especially some of the newer series, can be poor.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Geirskogul posted:

I know that people have used, and they market themselves as, Militec-1 as engine oil.

Somebody explain amsoil to me.

They make some ester based oils which is cool for high temps, but is bad for some plastics. I play around with oil in the Miata, and I've run redline and amsoil in the trans to compare feel. Amsoil didn't like the cold as much. I'm not scientific about it and getting them analyzed though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Somewhat relevant to this thread, our district manager got bored about a month and a half ago while visiting us and decided to store use and chop open 3 random oil filters to show how they are constructed. Kinda wish he had done one of the fix filters too, but I can't be too picky.

Can somebody explain to me what I'm looking at here? On top that's the bypass valve, correct? Why are they so different looking?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Rotella T6 works wonderfully in turbo Subaru's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How wrong is it for me to just blindly follow Australia hype and use penrite 10w40 in my wrx?

Literally everyone I know with a fun car uses it so I do to.

• Locked thread