Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Mobil Super 5000 5w30 in the jimmy, suburban and work van. Mobil 1 High Mileage in the LS2 Saab. ACDelco filters all around. Over 750,000 miles combined and no problems.

Virgin unrefined coconut oil in my crispy coconut-ty pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elephanthead posted:

What the hell I can't be the only guy that uses supertech. A blown engine is the best reason to get a better engine.

I run their 5W30 in any Jeep 4.0. Who cares, it's going to be on the underside of the floors and roadway soon enough anyways, I'm not throwing good money after bad. Crap oil is better than no oil.

I'm very much not a believer in magical miracle oils and greybeard arguments over which is best and which will sludge your motor. Rotella T6 5W40 goes in the Forester because SiF/Seat Safety Switch told me it was generally considered the best for them. From experience, it sounds way happier with a crankcase full of Rotella T6 than it does with an empty crankcase, so I keep feeding it the same thing, even though it all ends up on the undercarriage, in the cat, and holding a thick layer of soot to the inside of the tailpipe.

Rotella 15W40 in the 5 ton because it needs loving 22 quarts of oil for a full change and like hell I'm buying anything that doesn't come in 5 gallon pails.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Rotella t in the winter and castrol gtx in the summer for my e30. Usually 15w40. I get less sewing machine noises on the rotella when it's cold, but the castrol fares better with warm starts burns a little less oil and seems to perform a little better. Might switch to rotella full time, because barely anywhere near me stocks gtx and it's never on sale.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Rotella t in the winter and castrol gtx in the summer for my e30. Usually 15w40. I get less sewing machine noises on the rotella when it's cold, but the castrol fares better with warm starts burns a little less oil and seems to perform a little better. Might switch to rotella full time, because barely anywhere near me stocks gtx and it's never on sale.

That's weird, every place near me stocks gtx

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
T6 in the w126, not sure what the e28 has in it, probably m1 10w40.

Schmitty
Aug 2, 2004
AMSOIL 10W-40 with K&N filter on S2R800, change every 2 years or 800 miles, 2 years comes first :(
Cheapest Shell 5W-30 with K&N or Wix on Silverado, change every 3000 on the dot.

Bike gets the "best" but infrequently, truck gets cheapest but very often. Switched from Wix to K&N on truck because it has the nut welded on the bottom and gently caress messing with oil filter pliers and strap wrenches. Pretty much have to use K&N on bike because the entire filter is in the block so in order to tighten again need the nut.

Are there any other filters with nuts on the bottom, or is it just K&N?

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Somebody explain amsoil to me.

Amsoil is like Amway for men.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Rotary crew: Castrol 20w50/WIX or die.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Dick Bass posted:

I always say it's the Mary Kay of the automotive world.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Assuming ATF chat is ok. Can someone please point me to a good source that shows that synthetic brand names such as Valvoline are not in fact the same as Honda DW1 fluid no matter what their website says, and can in fact ruin Honda transmissions.
I have been fighting my boss about this for ever.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

G-Mach posted:

I always say it's the Mary Kay of the automotive world.

If you get a distributor account with them and share with friends/have a shop it's pretty cheap high quality synthetic.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I buy my oil from the local gas station because it has a picture of a BMW on it and i drive a BMW so i know i get the right product fine tuned for my car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just threw Mobil 1 high mileage in a 99 explorer with 155k miles. My first oil change so it sure beats whatever cheap house blend was used before. Used a motorcraft filter too, there was a Napa one on there previously.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Assuming ATF chat is ok. Can someone please point me to a good source that shows that synthetic brand names such as Valvoline are not in fact the same as Honda DW1 fluid no matter what their website says, and can in fact ruin Honda transmissions.
I have been fighting my boss about this for ever.

The back of the bottle should have a list of specs it meets. If it isn't on it, it probably doesn't meet it. Keep in mind, certain newer specs may cover older ones.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I run Mobil1 0w20 in my Prius

I run Rotella T6 in my Scirocco - I want to think it has the zinc

I run Royal Purple 10W40 in my beige camry. not on purpose you see -I got a couple of cases of it stupid cheap on clearance and I'm just using it up.

My work stocks 0W20 synblend. 0W20 doesn't HAVE to be synthetic - it's just really uncommon to not be.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Just threw Mobil 1 high mileage in a 99 explorer with 155k miles. My first oil change so it sure beats whatever cheap house blend was used before. Used a motorcraft filter too, there was a Napa one on there previously.

NAPA gold filters are WIX fwiw.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Is there any real downside to using T6? I know about the ZDDP but I use M1 HM now and it says 1100ppm on their spec sheet (unless something's changed). T6 seems to show ~1200ppm on a lot of sources I've looked up. I haven't been able to find a specification on shell's website for it.

I've heard its good at quieting down noisy valvetrains--thinking about giving it a go. It's a little heavier than recommended (5w30 or 10w30 in manual), but no one seems to think thats a big deal.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The Zinc isn't great for your cat. Unless you're burning a lot of it I doubt it'll matter.

I did clog my cat, with pieces of cat, after melting some pistons on my Miata while using Rotella T6.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FatCow posted:

The Zinc isn't great for your cat. Unless you're burning a lot of it I doubt it'll matter.

I did clog my cat, with pieces of cat, after melting some pistons on my Miata while using Rotella T6.

I mean, my car is 15yrs old but doesn't really burn any oil. Last oil change I didn't add any with a 7k mi OCI. It's Toyota-noisy, but nothing that sounds serious. I can get T6 cheaper than M1 and a quieter valvetrain would be a nice bonus.

It just seems like 100ppm difference is negligible (if that T6 level is indeed accurate), but I don't know enough to know for sure if it is a serious risk.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I've been using Valvoline in the S2K. I was using Mobile 1 when I first got it but it was burning through faster than I liked. If my Advance around the corner had rotella or royal purple in 10w30 I'd just get that, I'll check the O'reilly in the other direction next time I do one if I remember

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Jumping on the Rotella bandwagon with 6 quarts of T5 going in the Ford 460 V8. Maybe this'll silence the typewriter noises! Purolator oil filters are AI-Approved, yes?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dick Bass posted:

Quote of the loving year. Amen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

scuz posted:

Jumping on the Rotella bandwagon with 6 quarts of T5 going in the Ford 460 V8. Maybe this'll silence the typewriter noises! Purolator oil filters are AI-Approved, yes?

I used Purolator (non-PureONE) filters for 7 years and all sorts of terrible poo poo happened to the cars I had during that span but that's just because I kept buying terrible cars. They're good filters.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

scuz posted:

Cheap and effective is always AI approved in my book. I usually go with Purolator if they're in stock when I pick up oil; if they're not, I'll snag AC Delco (which is pretty much always in stock, but runs $5-6 at Wal-Mart).

Now if I could just find someone that actually stocks the cabin filter (or for that matter, the air filter) for a not-insane price... :argh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

some texas redneck posted:

Cheap and effective is always AI approved in my book. I usually go with Purolator if they're in stock when I pick up oil; if they're not, I'll snag AC Delco (which is pretty much always in stock, but runs $5-6 at Wal-Mart).

Now if I could just find someone that actually stocks the cabin filter (or for that matter, the air filter) for a not-insane price... :argh:

Amazon or Rock Auto are your best bet for that

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's what I've been doing. I should have phrased it more "wish I could find this poo poo locally" instead.

Usually order them from Amazon, and use Rockauto to look up the part numbers for the filters.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

I used Purolator (non-PureONE) filters for 7 years and all sorts of terrible poo poo happened to the cars I had during that span but that's just because I kept buying terrible cars. They're good filters.

some texas redneck posted:

Rad, thanks, dudes. Tackling a 7.5L 460ci monster this evening, can't wait :dance:

Is this the appropriate spot for battery chat? The aforementioned monster is cold-starting at 10 volts and a multimeter confirms the sitting voltage of the battery. Once the van's running, the alternator kicks it back up to the appropriate voltage. The van's in a cold-weather state (Minnesota) so I'm willing to spend the extra dough on a good battery, if that's money well spent.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I don't put anything that's not Delo 400 LE 15W-40 into my Volvo 4-cylinder engines.

Being that I now own a Volvo 5-cylinder engine, I have no idea what to put in it. Help

edit: and I never put any oil filter that's not Mann on any of my cars

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 4, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Do you have to use special motorbike oil for motorbikes? The manual just says use 10W-40, but doesn't specify if it needs unicorn tear oil or if any 'ol Korean Tire brand will do. Everybody I talk to says to use the special bike oil, but I'm not inclined to believe them because bike people are loving retards on the best of days when it comes to being a mechanic.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

Do you have to use special motorbike oil for motorbikes? The manual just says use 10W-40, but doesn't specify if it needs unicorn tear oil or if any 'ol Korean Tire brand will do. Everybody I talk to says to use the special bike oil, but I'm not inclined to believe them because bike people are loving retards on the best of days when it comes to being a mechanic.

What bike?

Because yes you need bike oil. Or certain diesel oil. Wet clutches and car oils are a quick way to spend a lot of money.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Diesel oil works with wet clutches but otherwise you do need special motorcycle oil.

My local kart shop recommends ATF for it's crankcase even though the manual for the engine recommends 15w-40 which is the most bizarre alternative I've ever heard.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

iwentdoodie posted:

What bike?

Because yes you need bike oil. Or certain diesel oil. Wet clutches and car oils are a quick way to spend a lot of money.

Suzuki DR200.

gently caress, bike oil seems outrageously expensive for how little I care about this bike with a tractor engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Diesel oil works with wet clutches but otherwise you do need special motorcycle oil.

My local kart shop recommends ATF for it's crankcase even though the manual for the engine recommends 15w-40 which is the most bizarre alternative I've ever heard.

On bikes with a separate primary, atf is perfect for the clutch and primary chain.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Geirskogul posted:

On bikes with a separate primary, atf is perfect for the clutch and primary chain.

But for a crankcase? I don't know a helluva lot about two strokes but 15w-40 to ATF seems like a bit of a leap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

Suzuki DR200.

gently caress, bike oil seems outrageously expensive for how little I care about this bike with a tractor engine.

I use rotella in my low tech bikes. It's fine.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

Suzuki DR200.

You can use Rotella-T6 as it has the JASO-MA rating.
So it is good for motorcycles. It is cheap at Walmart in bellingham.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

But for a crankcase? I don't know a helluva lot about two strokes but 15w-40 to ATF seems like a bit of a leap.

OH, it's a two stroke?

gently caress it run whatever.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

tumblr.txt posted:

I want to know if anyone, amped up on the ridiculous hype surrounding gun oils, has tried filling their car with BreakFree CLP or FrogLube.

I go the other way, and use Rotella 15w40 as gun oil.

I also use it for three different truck engines, and I wish my Focus ST could take it as Sam's Club sells 55g drums of it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't put anything that's not Delo 400 LE 15W-40 into my Volvo 4-cylinder engines.

Being that I now own a Volvo 5-cylinder engine, I have no idea what to put in it. Help

edit: and I never put any oil filter that's not Mann on any of my cars

I can confirm that Delo 5W40 is good for Volvo 5-cylinder engines. Rotella T6 is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
OIL FILTER CHAT...

I noticed that some of the A/C Delco filters have switched to that stupid nylon internal "frame" that holds the filter material. There were problems with these heating up and collapsing internally. The Delco PF61 has the old metal frame and the PF61e has the new nylon frame. Cleaned out O'Reilly auto the other day of the old 61s.

• Locked thread