Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I don't use anything but Napa gold filters and Rotella T5 in my two Jeeps. Question: is there anything special about Motorex motorcycle oil? My KTM dirt bike has a sticker on the crank case that says to only use Motorex. I have been doing it, but it's $12 per liter and I would rather just throw some Rotella in there since the dirt bikes need the oil changed weekly during the height of riding season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
delo 400LE is the best oil because when you spill it on hot engine parts it smells like delicious toast

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

delo 400LE is the best oil because when you spill it on hot engine parts it smells like delicious toast

This changes everything!

(as I'm always spilling oil on engines)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MustardFacial posted:

Do you have to use special motorbike oil for motorbikes? The manual just says use 10W-40, but doesn't specify if it needs unicorn tear oil or if any 'ol Korean Tire brand will do. Everybody I talk to says to use the special bike oil, but I'm not inclined to believe them because bike people are loving retards on the best of days when it comes to being a mechanic.

iwentdoodie posted:

What bike?

Because yes you need bike oil. Or certain diesel oil. Wet clutches and car oils are a quick way to spend a lot of money.

1500quidporsche posted:

Diesel oil works with wet clutches but otherwise you do need special motorcycle oil.

My local kart shop recommends ATF for it's crankcase even though the manual for the engine recommends 15w-40 which is the most bizarre alternative I've ever heard.

Special motorcycle oil is scam, it's the same oil as from the manufacturer's car oil line, with a different label on the jug and a 50-100% markup. There is no difference in shear strength, longevity, detergents, ability to suspend contamination particles or any other important parameter. But motorcycle guys are generally a very worrisome bunch that like to believe they're pampering their precious moto-babies, so they'll buy anything that says "special stuff for MOTORCYCLES!", even if it's just same old poo poo as everything else, with a big markup.

The only thing you really have to worry about is to avoid oils that say "energy conserving" if your bike has a wet clutch, as the special additives they contain will contaminate the clutch plates and make it slip. So follow this handy-dandy chart, buy a "car oil" with the correct viscosity and save money:

I ran completely normal full synthetic 5w40 in my bikes for years with no issues at all, at half the price of the basic semi-synthetic Motul stuff.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 5, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Special motorcycle oil is scam, it's the same oil as from the manufacturer's car oil line, with a different label on the jug and a 50-100% markup. There is no difference in shear strength, longevity, detergents, ability to suspend contamination particles or any other important parameter. But motorcycle guys are generally a very worrisome bunch that like to believe they're pampering their precious moto-babies, so they'll buy anything that says "special stuff for MOTORCYCLES!", even if it's just same old poo poo as everything else, with a big markup.

The only thing you really have to worry about is to avoid oils that say "energy conserving" if your bike has a wet clutch, as the special additives they contain will contaminate the clutch plates and make it slip. So follow this handy-dandy chart, buy a "car oil" with the correct viscosity and save money:

I'm putting this in the OP

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

This changes everything!

(as I'm always spilling oil on engines)

Pretty sure your engines are always spilling oil on themselves, actually :v:

(:sigh::hf::sigh:)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Little from column A, but yeah, mostly from column B.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The Rotella silenced a lot of the typewriter noises, I'm sold. There is a rattling noise in one of the valve covers, so that's a bit alarming, but hopefully we'll get the van into some professionals and they can tell us all about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Pretty sure your engines are always spilling oil on themselves, actually :v:

(:sigh::hf::sigh:)

Ditto!

No energy conserving for wetclutch bikes, otherwise, run that stuff!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any ideas on what should be safe maximum oil temps on a turbocharged motor? Normal driving sees around 90c, fast motorway is about 100c and on track I see max temps of about 130c after about 15 laps on a fairly hot day. Running 5w50 Motul stuff, just wonder if its worth investing in an additional oil cooler.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I believe 130C is the limit for most oils and past that they start breaking down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that's a safe limit. 260F to 280F depending on the oil. 130C works out to 266F.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

My friend ran Mobil 1 in his Evo on the track up to but never over 280. Every time we sent a sample to Blackstone the results came back acceptable.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Slack3r posted:

OIL FILTER CHAT...

I noticed that some of the A/C Delco filters have switched to that stupid nylon internal "frame" that holds the filter material. There were problems with these heating up and collapsing internally. The Delco PF61 has the old metal frame and the PF61e has the new nylon frame. Cleaned out O'Reilly auto the other day of the old 61s.

FYI these pieces of poo poo are called "E-Core" filters.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Geirskogul posted:

OH, it's a two stroke?

gently caress it run whatever.

My 66' Yamaha two stroke calls for 20/50 in the engine and straight 30 in the injector tank because lol two strokes

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

track day bro! posted:

Anyone got any ideas on what should be safe maximum oil temps on a turbocharged motor? Normal driving sees around 90c, fast motorway is about 100c and on track I see max temps of about 130c after about 15 laps on a fairly hot day. Running 5w50 Motul stuff, just wonder if its worth investing in an additional oil cooler.

Along a similar vein of thought-
I recently purchased a Focus ST. The problem that I foresee is that my daily commute is very short (5 miles) and once it gets colder outside the oil will never reach a high enough temperature for the oil pressure gauge to not be perpetually pegged (or close to it) due to the thickening of oil at lower temps. The manual suggests 5w-30 semi-synthetic, but in my situation would it be wise to move to either 0w30 synthetic / full synthetic 5w-30?

Or am I imagining something that isn't going to be a problem at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Anyone got any ideas on what should be safe maximum oil temps on a turbocharged motor?

I once knew a guy who insisted that Mobil1 was perfectly safe at over 300 degrees in his Corvair in Phoenix.

Coincidentally, I never once saw it run.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Rotella T6 is $27.99 a gallon and my car holds 7 quarts :gonk:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

atomicthumbs posted:

Rotella T6 is $27.99 a gallon and my car holds 7 quarts :gonk:

My car holds 9 :gonk: :gonk:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

My car holds 9 :gonk: :gonk:

My truck is 10 with filter... offset by the 3.8 for the Fit Army.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Come to Canada. T6 is regularly $48 + tax for 5l jug. On sale it drops to $40. Definitely not the cheapest oil around, although if you get it on sale plus the $7 ish mail in rebate it's not bad. Full synth 5w-30 regularly drops down to $30 ish for a 5l jug, brand depending on week of sale.

But T6 is soo nice for turbo motors and subies in general, so that's what I prefer to throw in mine.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Going to put some:

In the Benz, was cheap too! 50 euros (shipping included) for 10 liters!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I do Mobil 1 5w-30 with oversized filters every 4000 miles or so which seems absurd but if you don't treat your first generation Saab B235 engine's idiotic lubrication system extremely gingerly they famously tend to destroy themselves! :v:

I'm probably too paranoid but I regularly buy it when I see it on sale and I only need four quarts per change so its not like I'm going bankrupt here.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

sharkytm posted:

My truck is 10 with filter... offset by the 3.8 for the Fit Army.

13-15 with filter. I use a 5 gallon bucket as a drain pan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

FatCow posted:

Yup. I've also done lots of changes on diesel boat engines. Thank god for the Cat hand-crank oil pumps. 64L (17 Gallons) of lube oil. Four 5-gallon pails. And yes, we put Rotella T in the 3406E, 6140AL2, and C18-ACERT. We bought it in 55G drums, then decanted into 5-gallon pails for transport. Fun fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I use Pennzoil Platinum pretty much exclusively unless it's sold out when I go to buy it. <$30 for a gallon at Walmart or Meijer and they've got a good range of weights. Always have heard good things about it when I researched it for a night on BITOG and haven't had much reason to change it out. It's meets the dexos spec of my car too :toot: which seems like many don't (or haven't done the testing to get the little stamp).

Filters in bulk from RockAuto. OEM or Wix or whatever I find that isn't Fram.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 10, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FatCow posted:

What takes 13-15 quarts? drat son.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

Most diesel trucks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sharky's the only one who has me beat so far, the 5 ton takes 22 quarts of Rotella 15W40.

... and 10 gallons of diff lube. Yeah, it gets the cheapest Coastal garbage I can get in 5 gallon pails. The spec actually says 3 gallons per differential but I only had about a quart left of 2 5-gallon pails when I was done filling them in a level parking lot.

... and 9 quarts of transmission oil.

... and 5.5 quarts of transfer case oil.

gently caress, even the front winch (if I had one) takes 2.6 quarts of oil.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Ran Rotella in all my bikes (mix of 125-250 two strokes and 450 four stroke) and never had a single issue with abnormal wear. Now I just need to get that KX250 rebuilt that's sitting in my grandparents garage....

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Sharky's the only one who has me beat so far, the 5 ton takes 22 quarts of Rotella 15W40.

... and 10 gallons of diff lube. Yeah, it gets the cheapest Coastal garbage I can get in 5 gallon pails. The spec actually says 3 gallons per differential but I only had about a quart left of 2 5-gallon pails when I was done filling them in a level parking lot.

... and 9 quarts of transmission oil.

... and 5.5 quarts of transfer case oil.

gently caress, even the front winch (if I had one) takes 2.6 quarts of oil.
At least the 5-ton is a road vehicle. The boats don't count, see below why.

There's a huge jump between light-duty vehicles, including 1-ton trucks, and anything medium or heavy duty. Lube capacities and filter sizes just make huge leaps. Some of the bigger marine engines I've worked on (3508, 16V149, etc) take 100+ GALLONS of oil... 424 L (448 qt) for the 3508, for example (112 gallons).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Come to Canada. T6 is regularly $48 + tax for 5l jug. On sale it drops to $40. Definitely not the cheapest oil around, although if you get it on sale plus the $7 ish mail in rebate it's not bad. Full synth 5w-30 regularly drops down to $30 ish for a 5l jug, brand depending on week of sale.

But T6 is soo nice for turbo motors and subies in general, so that's what I prefer to throw in mine.

Is there a farm supply store there?

UFA in alberta has it for $28/5L jug every once in a while.

CornHolio posted:

My 7.3 with the big filter takes 16 to get it to the full line. 3 5 liter jugs, and a little out of the 4th.

The mack took 40 liters on the nose. I ran mobil 1 delvac because it came in 20 liter pails, where most other stuff was 18.9 liter. It also had 4 oil filters and 2 big fuel filters.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Whats the verdict on Redline Shockproof? The Viper's transmission gets bitchy when it's really hot, and I'm thinking it could use a better fluid than the standard Mopar ATF +4.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

At least the 5-ton is a road vehicle. The boats don't count, see below why.

There's a huge jump between light-duty vehicles, including 1-ton trucks, and anything medium or heavy duty. Lube capacities and filter sizes just make huge leaps. Some of the bigger marine engines I've worked on (3508, 16V149, etc) take 100+ GALLONS of oil... 424 L (448 qt) for the 3508, for example (112 gallons).

Calling it a road vehicle is extremely generous, it hasn't moved since 2013, hasn't left the yard since 2012, and hasn't been driven more than a block from home since 2011 :sigh:

I really need to get that monstrous piece of poo poo fixed up and running again so I have no excuses to not register it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How wrong is it for me to just blindly follow Australia hype and use penrite 10w40 in my wrx?

Literally everyone I know with a fun car uses it so I do to.

Old post but yeah I use this in my 180SX without any issues. At the moment Im running 10w50 because I was worried before a track day (and ended up killing my turbo anyway so w/e)

I usually do 10w40 Penrite fully synthetic and then switch to the ten tenths racing 10w40 before a track day as it has higher zinc and also says racing on the jug.

I just use regular Ryco filters.

Das Volk posted:

Whats the verdict on Redline Shockproof? The Viper's transmission gets bitchy when it's really hot, and I'm thinking it could use a better fluid than the standard Mopar ATF +4.

gently caress this stuff. Depends on your gearbox, but in the Silvia world people were recommending this stuff a few years ago. It turns out that it is horrible for the SR20 (and likely other nissan) gearboxes as it corrodes the synchros. its also noisy as gently caress.

I switched to Nulon gearbox oil with a tube of their PTFE additive and my gearbox feels significantly better. its also dead quiet. getting into first and reverse still needs to be double clutched sometimes but thats probably just old gearbox.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 11, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Das Volk posted:

Savington may pop in here, but a while ago on Miata Turbo he mentioned that the oil quality analysis of every Redline product he tried has been poo poo.

And yeah, diesel truck. No idea why they take so much oil, but they do. There is also about 2L that sits in the valley of the motor that you can't drain.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Calling it a road vehicle is extremely generous, it hasn't moved since 2013, hasn't left the yard since 2012, and hasn't been driven more than a block from home since 2011 :sigh:

I really need to get that monstrous piece of poo poo fixed up and running again so I have no excuses to not register it.

The boat went down the road once, in 2013:

We had 2x4's to fend off the phone/cable/power lines.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

FatCow posted:

Savington may pop in here, but a while ago on Miata Turbo he mentioned that the oil quality analysis of every Redline product he tried has been poo poo.

That's interesting. MT90 is highly recommended for old BMW transmissions on the forums.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

mafoose posted:

That's interesting. MT90 is highly recommended for old BMW transmissions on the forums.

I'm going off really vague memory taken from reading VWVortex here but it may be the specification. As I recall it was something like redline was GL-3 certified as well as GL-4 and you needed GL-3 stuff to stop the syncros from being eaten away. Whether that's true or not I couldn't tell you but I doubt it.

I never really bothered hunting out GL-3 stuff myself because I always figured my syncros sucked because the scirocco's shift linkage was garbage and changing gears is like dragging a stick through a bag of rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I run redline MT90 in my Scirocco. I change it every 30k. I have swapped the same 4K into and out of multiple cars. The synchros are perfect. I float shift it ALL THE TIME. This trans easily has over 400k on it.

Not sure if it's because MT90 is great, or changing it way to often or if I'm just nice to the transmission.

I've been doing it this way for so long that I don't even remember why.

• Locked thread