Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

scuz posted:

Jumping on the Rotella bandwagon with 6 quarts of T5 going in the Ford 460 V8. Maybe this'll silence the typewriter noises! Purolator oil filters are AI-Approved, yes?

Cheap and effective is always AI approved in my book. I usually go with Purolator if they're in stock when I pick up oil; if they're not, I'll snag AC Delco (which is pretty much always in stock, but runs $5-6 at Wal-Mart).

Now if I could just find someone that actually stocks the cabin filter (or for that matter, the air filter) for a not-insane price... :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's what I've been doing. I should have phrased it more "wish I could find this poo poo locally" instead.

Usually order them from Amazon, and use Rockauto to look up the part numbers for the filters.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How often would you recommend getting a TBN done? I have yet to have one done, though I've had a couple of samples done. First result was that the oil had wear material that they expected from oil with half of the miles, second was pretty much the same, but with a "?" for silicon.

e: assuming I generally use the same oil+filter and generally go until the "change oil" message comes on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 30, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How about something like my case? Typical compact car with a typical gasoline engine (Ecotec 2.2L), but it's used primarily for delivery, so there's a lot of short trips, and quite a bit of idling during hot/cold times of year when I'm between deliveries.

My new jobs have me driving much farther distances, so the coolant and oil actually get up to full temp.

I've put it off more because of cost, and because I'm told GM's oil life tracking is supposed to be drat good (I change it within a few days of the change oil message most of the time, and I've never fed it anything except synthetic). But I've noticed it's starting to use a little oil between oil changes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rosoboronexport posted:

As long as you're using engine oil that meets the engine's spec and change the oil when scheduled, you shouldn't need to worry about TBN. When you are extending oil change interval TBN should be monitored.

There are two different ways to use engine oil analysis: either take the sample during oil change (to see if the engine is boned or if you need to change the oil more often) or few weeks ahead of scheduled oil change (to see if you can continue using the same oil further). On this trend analysis some heavy-duty diesel engines (like in buses) can reach ~35-50 000 miles between oil changes.

Edit: sampling is the most important part of oil analysis. You'll get skewed results if you take the sample from drain plug after the engine has been off for a long time. Best way to sample engine oil would be to take the sample just after shutting down the and using a suction pump.

I generally change it while the engine is still warm (not so hot that I'm going to get burned, but it's usually been parked an hour or so), and take the sample about halfway through draining the oil.

There's actually no real specification for oil changes in my owner's manual, except that it needs to be changed at least once a year even if it never tells you to change it. I've just always gone by the oil change reminder, which generally has me changing it every 6-8 months. IIRC the manual just states to use API certified 5W30 that's also marked with GM6094M (which has been superseded by dexos1, I believe). And since it's a modern-ish GM (2006):

rdb posted:

It depends on the manufacturer, GM takes into account cold starts, weather condition, and some others that they don't say in addition to mileage. Supposedly very accurate, but I haven't verified.

My car isn't quite new enough to require dexos oil, but Mobil 1 meets dexos1 specifications, dexos1 has superseded GM6094M, and they kept using this engine family after they introduced the dexos requirement. So I figure Mobil 1 is good enough. On the supercharged version of my car, the manual strongly recommends using nothing but Mobil 1.

It does idle a lot more than most cars, but it's idling after it's already been driven, and only to run the heat/ac while I wait for my next order.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 7, 2015

• Locked thread