Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
my dad spent an entire christmas morning trying to fix IRQ conflicts after installing a video card so we could play Riven: The Sequel To Myst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

my dad is computer illiterate and i often have to help him put stuff on his ipod, but if you want a wicked bass lick he is your man.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
my dad knew a lot about computers for like the late 80s but then in the 90s i got way better at computers :devil:. i think the 386 was like, my peak computer poo poo.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
my dad let me play choplifter back in 1986 or something. was pretty good. apple II something something.

his home office had this awful square wood flooring you see when you image search "80s wood flooring".

eventually i got better at computers than him. that was in high school and college...the golden years of computing if i'm remembering correctly.

now he's kind of better at computers than me, because IDGAF as much anymore. just need a posting station, really...but he uses computers a lot for work and stuff.

still, his desktop icon management skills are sub-bar.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
my dad programmed punch cards and my mom was the lady who put them in the machine and I'm pretty sure my dad flirted with her so his programs would compile faster.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
dad was a machinist that knew how to blow glass and played doors records while wearing a budweiser shirt.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

my dad spent an entire christmas morning trying to fix IRQ conflicts after installing a video card so we could play Riven: The Sequel To Myst.

epic

Dongslayer. posted:

dad was a machinist that knew how to blow glass and played doors records while wearing a budweiser shirt.

glass blowing seems like a good hobby (for a stoner)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

every room in the house is lined with books and my dad only do a compute out of absolute necessity. dont know where that part got hosed up w/ me

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
my dad was away all the time (army) and would hand-write me letters then one day i got a letter he had typed up a letter on his new work PC that he was super proud to be using. at the end it said "HEY SON LOOK WHAT I CAN DO" then like a random stream of wingdings characters for half the page

i was 7 and hadnt used a computer before and i thought it was the absolute poo poo

now i appreciate it more because i know he mashed the keyboard for a minute knowing i would think he was a computer genius or something

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Linux Pirate posted:

my dad is computer illiterate and i often have to help him put stuff on his ipod, but if you want a wicked bass lick he is your man.

same but an ipad and saving lives

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

every room in the house is lined with books and my dad only do a compute out of absolute necessity. dont know where that part got hosed up w/ me

also same

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my dad used to work with tim berners-lee's dad. proper compy dad's

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

he's okay with them. like, the only time he calls me is when something is actually wrong (like hardware failing) and just wants to know if it's his fault. i gave him a parts list a couple of years back when he wanted a new computer and was able to put it all together himself.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my dad was a heavy political science date scientician or whatever you call it. always be all up in them polling data and re-districting numbers.

i used to go with him to the Computer Center to pick up the tapes that had his data on them after they crunched the big numbers.

poo poo looked like this:

he always would say "man i hate unix, stupid magic characters don't make any sense.

i remember when we got a 14.4 modem it took over a week to install it because it was on a gateway 386 and it wasn't exactly plug and play.

i had a dope rear end tiger 286 in my computer to play various math games and the earliest carmen san diego games on.

well that's my computer dad story.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

one time my dad called me into the office room to review the "recent documents" part of the start menu on windows 98

:smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

lil roosevelt was peepin some boobies

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mondo boobies

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my dad used my mom's se/30 and became very frustrated at Zork if the saved games' filenames are anything to go by

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Roosevelt posted:

my dad commuted from Petaluma to San Francisco every day for his job as an investment banker and probably had many affairs with powerful women in shoulderpad jackets

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

that woman is your real mom roosevelt

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
kate beaton is a national treasure

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

qntm posted:

kate beaton is a national treasure

remember when she registered on sa and creepos scared her away. lol

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
these forums are horrible

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i've met her a few times and she's really sweet. i guess i should have asked her if she had stairs in her house

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

bicycle posted:

at the end it said "HEY SON LOOK WHAT I CAN DO" then like a random stream of wingdings characters for half the page

i was 7 and hadnt used a computer before and i thought it was the absolute poo poo

now i appreciate it more because i know he mashed the keyboard for a minute knowing i would think he was a computer genius or something

pro dad move

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
my dad used an old artillery computer in vietnam. possibly this thing

i found an old notebook of his from that time, too. the front page is full of trigonometric notes and identities

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

My dad taught programming at a community college a long time ago, took me to the computer lab to play Hunt the Wumpus on a teletype when i was a wee tyke.

Lol i'm old

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RevusRangerous posted:

My dad taught programming at a community college a long time ago, took me to the computer lab to play Hunt the Wumpus on a teletype when i was a wee tyke.

Lol i'm old

I remember going to dad's office in like 92 or whatever and one of his employees let me play wolfenstein 3d on his workstation.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut and the Gang posted:

"Pair of condoms". One for you, and one for the other dude.

HAAAH, goteem.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ADINSX posted:

I remember going to dad's office in like 92 or whatever and one of his employees let me play wolfenstein 3d on his workstation.

i was such a retard i thought you could go up to any computer and type cd wolf3d and launch the game, not understanding it was installed but thinking it was a code installed on all computers

sometimes it worked at retail stores tho :3: and an employee came rushing to turn it off

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my father started me on the path because he had an altair 8800 and his father told him to stop loving around with computers and get a job in manufacturing because he would never be able to do anything with it and he ended up doing baller 'puting work with a military contractor

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Years later in highschool we had installed quake on all the library machines in this little corner where it was hard to see what we were doing from a distance.

We were chillin n fragging when a teacher came up and asked if we had heard anything about people installing this "quake" program because they're in trouble and its not allowed. "Sorry, never heard of it" :unsmigghh:

Doesn't have anything to do with dads but I miss playing quake in highschool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am a computerman, as my father before me

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ADINSX posted:

Years later in highschool we had installed quake on all the library machines in this little corner where it was hard to see what we were doing from a distance.

We were chillin n fragging when a teacher came up and asked if we had heard anything about people installing this "quake" program because they're in trouble and its not allowed. "Sorry, never heard of it" :unsmigghh:

Doesn't have anything to do with dads but I miss playing quake in highschool

one time when i was 13 or so, for the last couple days before christmas the computer lab people installed quake 2 on the network in one of the labs. so for the last lesson of the term we all just played deathmatch. it owned

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ADINSX posted:

king's quest for me

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Silver Alicorn posted:

I am a computerman, as my father before me

the compute is strong in my family

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VostokProgram posted:

the compute is strong in my family

use the -f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
some of the "trouble makers" had installed carmegeddon on the school workstations and it was dope as gently caress but then they got busted when they left the cd-rom in the drive IDIOTS.

so they came back and reinstalled it but used the nocd crack and the teacher came up and was like "What was that on your screen just then?" (they had just alt+f4'd) and they were all "oh a racing video from nascar" and she was like "Yeah right" and then made a big show of pressing the cd eject button.

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

• Locked thread