Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
dad was a railway worker (retired, not dead), and an amateur painter

as a railway worker he's of course super-political (he owns a copy of das kapital and painted a giant monochrome - green, curiously - portrait of karl marx), and after an abortive career in town politics, got involved in a mutual aid society, first as an evangelist and eventually as evangelist trainer and board member

he bought our first computer with a scanner and a copy of corel draw 7 because I wanted to become an artist (except corel draw 7 had a scripting engine that could build executables and netscape had a wysiwyg html editor and you can imagine why I'm in yospos and not in cc). he got a really good deal in retrospect, we got the oem versions of a lot of useful software (corel draw 7, word 97, windows 98) that my school mates had to pirate (or "borrow" from me). for his job as an evangelist, he needed a lot of material (brochures, invitation cards, posters, one time even a calendar), and they didn't have a reliable in-house designer, so he taught himself word and corel draw. most of the material we printed on our deskjet, which had in fact pretty amazing quality (just a little color bleeding, but with the right paper it was near perfect)

when we upgraded to windows xp, I set his computer up so that he'd have a limited user account, and a separate administrator account I named "setup", and taught him to switch to that user to install and configure stuff. this is how his computer stayed squeaky clean without an antivirus. the mutual aid society he worked for got bigger, they eventually got a full time computer technician - other than whoever had been paid to set up their AS400 back in the devonian - and so one day I open his work laptop and found a slow as gently caress antivirus, a full administrator account and UAC disabled. loving computer janitors, man

oh and he's an Opera and Thunderbird user (my bad). he's pretty good at computers despite having started from absolute zero at the ripe age of 50, which is good because I'm a bad daughter-son and I fly into an irrational rage every time I have to do tech support for him. he should really stop reusing the same 2-3 passwords though, I shouldn't be able to connect to his home wifi in a couple of attempts

I'm proud of you, dad. also when you cried at my graduation (even though it was just a BS, and I was 4 years late) I was absurdly touched and if I never told you that, I should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread