Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RevusRangerous posted:

My dad taught programming at a community college a long time ago, took me to the computer lab to play Hunt the Wumpus on a teletype when i was a wee tyke.

Lol i'm old

I remember going to dad's office in like 92 or whatever and one of his employees let me play wolfenstein 3d on his workstation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Years later in highschool we had installed quake on all the library machines in this little corner where it was hard to see what we were doing from a distance.

We were chillin n fragging when a teacher came up and asked if we had heard anything about people installing this "quake" program because they're in trouble and its not allowed. "Sorry, never heard of it" :unsmigghh:

Doesn't have anything to do with dads but I miss playing quake in highschool

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

some of the "trouble makers" had installed carmegeddon on the school workstations and it was dope as gently caress but then they got busted when they left the cd-rom in the drive IDIOTS.

so they came back and reinstalled it but used the nocd crack and the teacher came up and was like "What was that on your screen just then?" (they had just alt+f4'd) and they were all "oh a racing video from nascar" and she was like "Yeah right" and then made a big show of pressing the cd eject button.

BUT IT WAS EMPTY.

pro as hell

Another sick pro move was this kid who put all the files needed for GTA2 on his school network share and somehow made the folder public so we could all see it (vs just him when he's logged in). Teachers would keep finding GTA installed on these laptops could you "check out" from the library and removing it, but we could always get it back in like 30 seconds :owned:

He eventually got expelled for loving around with the network so much and that probably really hosed up his life but otoh he helped me play video games during my free period instead of learning so it was all worth while.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

he helped me understand Fourier transforms, but he can barely figure out Windows 10 v:shobon:v

A good dad

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I remember one christmas dad was installing Children's Writing and Publishing Center on our 386. He was reading the manual outloud and was really impressed that it would automatically wrap the lines of text for you.

• Locked thread