Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The AppleTV is a line of devices by Apple that allow you to experience content on your TV. Like other media streamers (Roku, FireTV, Chromecast), the AppleTV allows you to access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, AppleTV+, and others while also allowing you access to the iTunes library of content.

The AppleTV 4K (2022, third generation)

Announced in 2022, the third-gen 4K adds support for HDR10+, features an A15 Bionic processor (previously featured in the iPhone 13), storage bumps, and small price cuts.

There's two models: the "Base" at $129 and the "Upgrade" (or "with Ethernet") for $149. The Upgrade model is identical to previous 4K models (with the above noted improvements) and has all the same features as the Base. But the Base removes the gigabit ethernet port and support for the Thread smarthome protocol in exchange for a lower price. It's likely worth the extra 20 bucks if you are at all interested in future smart home products.

Why Should I Buy an AppleTV?
While they're still the most expensive of the streaming boxes out there ($129/$149 straight from Apple, often on sale for less), it works more fluidly with more apps and services than most streamers on the market. In Apple parlance, it just works.

Also, the more into Apple's eco-system you are, the more you'll get out of an AppleTV. AirPlaying, access to iTunes purchases/renting, and HomeKit integrations all add up into additional bonuses you wouldn't get without being in Apple's walled garden.

The Remote

The last remote was....controversial. This form factor is much improved by being thicker (though still too slim for some) as well as more clicky. While the entire black pad up top is touch-sensitive for swiping, the edges are also clicky for more precise selection. And no, it isn't able to play a noise to help you find it when you lose it.

The rest of the remote is straightforward: a back button, a Home (the "TV") button (its function can be changed in Settings), Play/Pause, volume up/down, and Mute. There's also a Siri button on the side for dictation or Siri assistance searches.

The remote is rechargeable via USB-C (new for 2022. Lightning for older versions). Apple quotes "months" of usability on a single charge. The AppleTV will let you know when the remote is getting low on battery.

No, it doesn't have a locater/speaker to help you find it. Yes, that's a glaring omission in TYOOL 2022.

Previous AppleTVs
  • AppleTV 4K (second gen, 2021) - Clearing out inventory now (2022). Was a welcome revision that enabled better/smoother 4K playback.
  • AppleTV 4K (first gen, 2017) - Discontinued no-longer sold. Lacked some HDR/spec support. A minimum viable spec to play 4K.
  • AppleTV HD (2015) - 1080p max resolution. Came with the remote that you either hated or felt was "fine". First to support the modern tvOS ecosystem (app store, apps, etc).
  • AppleTV (second and third gen, 2010 and 2012 respectively) - some of the first Apple streaming boxes after the iPhone launched. Supported 720/1080p but didn't have app stores.
  • AppleTV (first gen, 2007) - Launched prior to the OG iPhone, this was essentially a stripped down Mac with local storage.

Other Benefits of the AppleTV
AirPlay
If you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, AirPlay is one of the best perks. Nearly all current Apple devices and MacOS machines can use AirPlay to stream content or mirror their device wirelessly to any AppleTV on the same WiFi network. Super handy to show off that one YouTube video you just saw or show off pictures to a room full of people.

HomeKit Integration
If you've got smart home stuff that works with homekit, an AppleTV can serve as a Home Hub (manages the smart home stuff and allows remote access/control of smart stuff) and let you control said stuff. I've got a homekit scene called Movie Time which dims the smart lights in my family room to 1%. All I have to do is use the AppleTV remote to ask Siri to 'Run Move Time'. Easy peasy.

iCloud
All your iCloud Photos and Music are available via the iCloud app. iCloud can also store the setup of your app layout (iCloud Home Screen) and keep multiple AppleTV's synced to display the same apps the same way.

Other niche sharing stuff
Apple has been building out ways to further share AppleTV "experiences". I honestly don't know what else to call it but they have SharePlay which lets you and a friend, both with AppleTVs and FaceTime-able devices, to sync streams so that you can watch something together...remotely (if that makes sense).

There's also an audio sharing feature so if you and someone else are listening to a stream via AirPods, it'll sync the audio and allow each person independent volume control. So a "Kids are Asleep" mode for parents? Again, very niche but it's functionality that's there for those who want to use it.

FAQ
Which AppleTV should I get? - The AppleTV 4K (2022 Version, with Ethernet). Unless you have no interest at all in smart home stuff and wish to save $20, the slightly pricier version is a better long term bet.

What are some good games to show off the ATV? - Check out the iOS gaming megathread for recommendations.

Do I have to use the Remote to play games? - No. Apple rolled out support for modern gaming controllers in the past few years. They'll pair just fine via Bluetooth.

Can I still use a Harmony or universal remote with the new AppleTV? - Yes! The AppleTV still has an IR port to receive commands.

Can I watch live TV with the AppleTV - Yes and most major streaming TV services (SlingTV/Playstation VUE/DirecTV Now) have really nice tvOS apps.

Additionally, if you have the credentials for a valid cable/satellite account, and if a network's app is in the app store, it could support live streaming. It may be through TV Everywhere - that service where if you enter your current cable/satellite subscription information, you could get access to that app's streaming content.

I wish there was a way to go back to the home screen without hitting the Menu button a million times! - There is! Hold the Menu button.
Other Button Stuff:
Menu Button
-Single Click: Goes back to the last screen.
-Hold: Goes back to the Home screen.
-Double Click: Activates the screensaver.
-Triple Click: Enables the Accessibility menu (VoiceOver and Zoom).
Home Button
-Single Click: Goes directly to the Home screen -OR- can send you to the TV app. You can choose your preference in Settings.
-Hold: Pulls up the slide out menu to switch users, access homekit stuff, or sleep the AppleTV.
-Double Click: Pulls up the app switcher.
Play/Pause
-Single Click: Play/Pause.
-Hold: Sends you to the Apple Music app to whatever the last song was playing.
-Clicking when entering text: Capitalizes (or uncapitalizes) letters.
-Clicking when moving an app: Deletes app.
Home + Menu Buttons
-Holding together will force a restart.

I don't want to enter my iTunes password every time I want to rent/buy something. But I also don't want my child/jerkass neighbor/deadbeat friend to buy some lovely app. Is there anything I can do? - Yes! Go to Settings->General->Restrictions. Turn Restrictions on and set up a 4 digit pin code. Then set the iTunes Store to Restricted. Now you don't have to enter your iTunes password and you are protected against random app/media purchases.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Nice OP! Thanks Thwomp

Anyone know when they'll have these available to mess with in Apple Stores?

Also, when is the embargo lifted for full reviews?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nice OP. Ordered my 32GB this morning. Doubt I'll need any more than that.

I love my old AppleTV despite its flaws, so I've been really excited for something new to come out. Will definitely be posting here with my thoughts once I receive it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rick Sanchez posted:

Anyone know when they'll have these available to mess with in Apple Stores?

Also, when is the embargo lifted for full reviews?

They'll likely have display units out whenever these start to ship so maybe this weekend?

As for full reviews, likely also after they start to ship but only for those outlets that received the developer preview kits. Most reviews won't start appearing until about a week or so afterwards.

I predict that most reviews will settle on this: "Faster and easier to navigate than past AppleTVs, Siri universal search is a great addition, and App Store holds the future of the device but is currently bereft of killer apps."

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

I predict that most reviews will settle on this: "Faster and easier to navigate than past AppleTVs, Siri universal search is a great addition, and App Store holds the future of the device but is currently bereft of killer apps."
Verge Score: 8.0/10

I imagine they'll have display units out by Friday (since that's when the first buyers will be getting them), but they're being coy about when they start selling in-store.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The remote still seems incredibly weird to use as a game controller to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hmmmmm $199/$269 in Canada. Guess I'm getting the 32gb!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ufarn posted:

The remote still seems incredibly weird to use as a game controller to me.

It will be, but it makes sense that Apple would mandate that all games are playable without having to buy a third party accessory.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping the TV App Store eventually has a "Best Games Built for MFi" section.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmmm $199/$269 in Canada. Guess I'm getting the 32gb!

Yep, same.

Probably just gonna pick one up at the apple store on the weekend just because I get way too much enjoyment of being able to buy with my phone's camera.

Looking forward to seeing how siri will handle a 3 year old demanding to watch Peppa Pig.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How likely is it that I'll be able to head to Best Buy/Target on Friday and grab one of these? I'm cautiously holding off on preordering in hopes I can get one faster from retail.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Looking forward to seeing how siri will handle a 3 year old demanding to watch Peppa Pig.

This is my big question with the universal search. When you ask to find a movie, will it also list everything on YouTube that also matches that movie?

Kilometers Davis posted:

How likely is it that I'll be able to head to Best Buy/Target on Friday and grab one of these? I'm cautiously holding off on preordering in hopes I can get one faster from retail.

No one knows what quantities will be available at Apple Stores on Friday, let alone 3rd party retailers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Thwomp posted:

This is my big question with the universal search. When you ask to find a movie, will it also list everything on YouTube that also matches that movie?

My guess is toggle switches for each service to include or not in search results. With Siri being able to search specific ones even if it is disabled in general search by saying stuff like "find me videos of escalators on YouTube" (also a hot subject for videos at my house)

Hm I wonder if you can switch between user accounts easily otherwise my recommendations on YouTube are gonna get really messed up.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Reviews embargo will probably lift Wednesday (usually it's two days before shipments go out), so a lot of these questions and more will be answered.

My big hope is the Remote app is updated to let your iPhone or Apple Watch act as a Siri microphone.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Cult of Mac has a sorta review (they call it a review anyway). App Store doesn't seem available yet (read: no Plex).
http://www.cultofmac.com/393941/4th-generation-apple-tv-review/

Remember that you should be able to combine Discover's Apple Pay bonus if you buy in store. Not sure if BestBuy supports Apple Pay yet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that review just feels like a rushjob to get it out before anyone else.

The guy is complaining about Siri not working (it's a developer preview and maybe the whole backend service wasn't quite ready?) and appears clueless as to why an IR port is even included. What's the point of reviewing the device when its backend services and major new features (app store, gaming) isn't available to test yet?

That said, if Siri isn't working as intended, it'll be a huge sore point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He needs to find a better phrase to use than "it is unclear."

And really, WHAT POSSIBLE USE COULD AN IR RECEIVER HAVE? BOY, I JUST CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING!!!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
At least he included a section on the screen saver!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

That said, if Siri isn't working as intended, it'll be a huge sore point.

The only thing hardware-wise that could possibly make Siri not work as well as it does on every other Apple device is either the quality of the mic in the controller, or the Bluetooth connection to the device itself. The former is possible but not likely considering Apple's track record with quality components, the latter is not likely considering Bluetooth is otherwise super reliable.

I'd probably chalk it up to either user error or most likely the ATV-specific Siri algorithms not being fully cooked yet, without a ton of user data.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

The only thing hardware-wise that could possibly make Siri not work as well as it does on every other Apple device is either the quality of the mic in the controller, or the Bluetooth connection to the device itself. The former is possible but not likely considering Apple's track record with quality components, the latter is not likely considering Bluetooth is otherwise super reliable.

I'd probably chalk it up to either user error or most likely the ATV-specific Siri algorithms not being fully cooked yet, without a ton of user data.

I agree with this. It just doesn't seem likely that Apple would release something with its core functionality essentially broken.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Happy to be in the "Big" 32 club. I just hope I can handle the touch remote.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The "games must be playable on remote" thing is crappy. I know what Apple is going for, but I'm really hoping they find some way to loosen the restriction.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I suspect games that want to require the use of a 3rd party controller will make it pretty clear that "for the best experience, please use a controller" is prominently displayed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm betting the "restriction" can be pretty easily worked around.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

canyonero posted:

Cult of Mac has a sorta review (they call it a review anyway). App Store doesn't seem available yet (read: no Plex).
http://www.cultofmac.com/393941/4th-generation-apple-tv-review/

Remember that you should be able to combine Discover's Apple Pay bonus if you buy in store. Not sure if BestBuy supports Apple Pay yet.

They took it down, I'm guessing it went up too early.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My credit card has been charged, so maybe they're shipping earlier than expected.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

canyonero posted:

They do.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm a little bit lost, but is the 64GB even realistically fill-up-able?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's anybody's guess right now. There's a lot of functions in place to reduce app size but it remains to be seen how much it'll take to fill these things.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
64 seems a pretty tall order to fill up for this generation.

By the time massive games and apps are becoming available, we'll be ordering the next gen.

So, probably not essential for the 99%

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeast posted:

64 seems a pretty tall order to fill up for this generation.

By the time massive games and apps are becoming available, we'll be ordering the next gen.

So, probably not essential for the 99%

On the flip side by the time massive games and apps are becoming available a used ATV4 with more storage might have better appeal/resale value.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't forget that it seems that for now apps are limited to 200mb on-disk while everything else is served on-demand.

I suspect that's something that will get adjusted up at some point but I wouldn't worry about any one game or app killing most of my storage any time soon.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I was just in the Apple Store today picking up an iPad and completely forgot to check out the new ATV.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
All the bits get delivered the same way... via download... So I'm not sure how it makes a difference overall.

200mb downloaded from the App Store and 2gb downloaded once the app launches is still 2gb and 200mb of bandwidth. :)

e.pilot posted:

I was just in the Apple Store today picking up an iPad and completely forgot to check out the new ATV.

I don't think you would have seen anything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Are these things still not worth buying if I live in Canada and don't have cable (No Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Instant, WWE, NHL, etc. etc. etc. :smith: )?

Serious question, by the way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mister Macys posted:

Are these things still not worth buying if I live in Canada and don't have cable?

I live in America. I have no cable. I have Netflix. And I have loooots of content via Plex.

I use my AppleTV every night. It's indispensable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

All the bits get delivered the same way... via download... So I'm not sure how it makes a difference overall.

200mb downloaded from the App Store and 2gb downloaded once the app launches is still 2gb and 200mb of bandwidth. :)

I don't think you would have seen anything.
It's going to depend on the app, obviously, but they won't necessarily download all on-demand content immediately. The example Polygon used is a game with, say, 10 levels. It will download a tutorial and the first few levels, and then start downloading later levels as you approach them, assuming you ever do. It will also delete unused or less-used data slices if you start to run out of storage. How much this will impact storage use remains to be seen, of course.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Also, user-created data like save files must be backed up to iCloud and able to be pulled down later because the system has to be able to delete local user-created data without warning.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Are these things still not worth buying if I live in Canada and don't have cable (No Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Instant, WWE, NHL, etc. etc. etc. :smith: )?

I use my ATV3 every day. Netflix, Youtube, NHL, and MLB until recently.

New one will likely be a lot more flexible since content will essentially be user submitted apps so we'll get Plex, probably Hockeystreams, etc.

There's a bunch of stuff that has Plex channels too that I watch even though I'm in Canada using unblock-us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Will Amazon video finally be on AppleTV?