Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tofes posted:

Will Amazon video finally be on AppleTV?

Considering Amazon pulled the listings for all AppleTVs on their website, I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

tofes posted:

Will Amazon video finally be on AppleTV?

Don't worry Rick & Morty buddy, you can still use the Amazon Streaming app to AirPlay video to the AppleTV

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Mahoning posted:

Considering Amazon pulled the listings for all AppleTVs on their website, I wouldn't count on it.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Amazon mad about not being on the old AppleTV? The new one has an app store so they can just submit an app, right?

Rick Sanchez posted:

Don't worry Rick & Morty buddy, you can still use the Amazon Streaming app to AirPlay video to the AppleTV

Oh geez, Rick

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Also I just came across this little gem:

http://www.studioneat.com/products/remote

A nice, cheap stand for your New AppleTV Siri Remote©

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Today in literally the most useless accessories ever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nothing but the finest artisnal remote stands for me yes siree!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I meant to ask earlier. I placed my order at like 7:00 am PDT and chose the fastest shipping option. Did any one get told "Oct 30th" specifically?

Mine says Oct 30th-Nov 3rd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When will I be able to walk into the Apple store and hand a person money and have them give me one of these?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

I meant to ask earlier. I placed my order at like 7:00 am PDT and chose the fastest shipping option. Did any one get told "Oct 30th" specifically?

Mine says Oct 30th-Nov 3rd.

Same, op.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

When will I be able to walk into the Apple store and hand a person money and have them give me one of these?
They haven't said, but Friday at the earliest.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tofes posted:

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Amazon mad about not being on the old AppleTV? The new one has an app store so they can just submit an app, right?

I think Amazon is pissed about having to give Apple a cut of the revenue (more specifically, HOW BIG of a cut) of anything purchased through an App Store app/iTunes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mahoning posted:

I think Amazon is pissed about having to give Apple a cut of the revenue (more specifically, HOW BIG of a cut) of anything purchased through an App Store app/iTunes.

Its the same on Android

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How does Applecare work on gadgets like ATV? Is it like my MBP where I can buy it after the fact? I just realized that it's a sort of "first gen" type device so I wouldn't mind picking up $23 worth of insurance on it down the road.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

How does Applecare work on gadgets like ATV? Is it like my MBP where I can buy it after the fact? I just realized that it's a sort of "first gen" type device so I wouldn't mind picking up $23 worth of insurance on it down the road.

It's your :10bux: but I don't see the point of insurance on something like the ATV. It doesn't move, and it's pretty unlikely to fail after the first month (barring obsolescence past the point you'd have since replaced it anyway).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm thinking of hooking up my new aTV via ethernet rather than wifi. Is there any reason not to?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use my 3rd Gen on ethernet and it works great. Airplay doesn't depend on wifi on the appletv end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So those of us waiting for Plex -- looks like we'll have some options.

http://simplex.video

Looks like this one will closely mirror the AppleTV aesthetic for those of us who are sticklers for things like that.

It's nice to be going from "lovely hack solution for plex" to "plethora of options for plex" in one swoop.

mediaphage posted:

It's your :10bux: but I don't see the point of insurance on something like the ATV. It doesn't move, and it's pretty unlikely to fail after the first month (barring obsolescence past the point you'd have since replaced it anyway).

That's a fair point; I suppose that if it were going to fail due to manufacturing defects it wouldn't be after the first month.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ethernet still almost always performs better than wifi, the only reason not to use it is if the placement is inconvenient or you're out of ports or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also if you have a computer hosting an iTunes Home Sharing thing (on ethernet), you'll get better results if your ATV is on ethernet too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Could someone give me the rundown on why Plex is a thing I should start paying attention to?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Could someone give me the rundown on why Plex is a thing I should start paying attention to?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&perpage=40

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's the prevalent "DIY" home media server software. A lot of us have been using it on iPad/iPhone (and even AppleTV in some ways) to stream content not available on ATV previously. It's cross-platform so you can use your Roku, iDevice, or PC/Mac to watch your library.

If you don't already use Plex then it is likely not going to change much, but those of us who have Plex libraries set up already are jumping for joy that we'll get a native way to run it again, without having to hack it into the ATV UI.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's pirate Netflix (but in a different way than Popcorn Time.)

It makes all the anime you totally legitimately own look nice.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If Siri won't search through my iTunes library but WILL search through a Plex library I'm gonna be soooooo mad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of excited about the possibility of something like HDHomeRun getting an app for ATV4. ATV getting closer to being the one media centre in my home, whether that's streaming or live.

edit: Well, not the HDHomeRun since it's been discontinued, but you know what I mean.

edit2: Oh I thought it was discontinued but looks like I'm wrong?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 27, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Plex is just for viewing stuff on one computer in another place, basically.

I gave it a shot, because video looks better on a TV, but there was a slight audio delay (few ms) that made me abandon the idea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I can't wait for Apple to launch their streaming cable replacement that will be amazingly integrated into the new ATV. Here's hoping I can use a VPN to get it in Canada.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Any word on a Kodi app? If not I think I am going to keep my old ATV3 and get a Shield instead. The Shield can do 4k and also run Kodi in addition to whatever else like Netflix, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think there is any news on a Kodi app, but if Plex is coming I'm sure Kodi is soon behind.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's really nice because it plays anything you have. I've got ripped DVD's, ripped blu-rays, and stuff I've backed on Kickstarter that gave me .mov, mpg, and .mkv containers, and Plex just handles them all and gives you a beautiful, easy-to-use, and very Apple-ish way to watch them all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My order status changed to preparing for shipment. I didn't pay for overnight.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Kind of excited about the possibility of something like HDHomeRun getting an app for ATV4. ATV getting closer to being the one media centre in my home, whether that's streaming or live.

edit: Well, not the HDHomeRun since it's been discontinued, but you know what I mean.

edit2: Oh I thought it was discontinued but looks like I'm wrong?
Yeah HDHR is still around, not sure where you got the discontinuation idea from other than I dunno, probably Microsoft (more or less) ditching Windows Media Center support/updates, which is the main way of using HDHRs for most folks. Or CableCard going away which is another big issue going forward, although ideally whatever new thing would actually be easier to work with.

Anyway they did a Kickstarter for standalone DVR server and viewer software but it's still early afaik. I'm not sure there's anything technical stopping the viewer from working on ATV so hopefully they make a client eventually, but for now it's not one of the platforms they're working on. Until then I'm hoping whatever other streaming app to be able to view live or recordings like I do with nPlayer on iOS right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah HDHR is still around, not sure where you got the discontinuation idea from other than I dunno, probably Microsoft (more or less) ditching Windows Media Center support/updates, which is the main way of using HDHRs for most folks. Or CableCard going away which is another big issue going forward, although ideally whatever new thing would actually be easier to work with.

Anyway they did a Kickstarter for standalone DVR server and viewer software but it's still early afaik. I'm not sure there's anything technical stopping the viewer from working on ATV so hopefully they make a client eventually, but for now it's not one of the platforms they're working on. Until then I'm hoping whatever other streaming app to be able to view live or recordings like I do with nPlayer on iOS right now.

I bought one on a whim just now since I've been looking for a(n) HD OTA tuner anyway. The InstaTV dude replied that he's working on a tvOS port so (at least theoretically) HDHR on tvOS is coming.

Thought I didn't buy the one that transcodes to h264 on the fly, hopefully that doesn't gently caress me over.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just spent a few minutes skimming the HDHR forums and it looks like they're looking into Plex integration so that might be one avenue eventually too.

I'm on an A7 and it plays stuff fine from mine without the transcoding so the ATV/A8 should be fine, it'll just depend on the performance of the software decoder that guy is using I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swell. I'm full of optimism about this new ATV. Feels like it's going to open up a lot of doors.

edit: Oh wait you know why I thought it was discontinued? Because I thought Elgato owned it and theirs is DC'd. I guess they just licensed it from silicondust? Either way, I'm glad I snagged one too.

Mahoning posted:

Here's what's going to happen, because it's what always happens.

It'll get shipped just in time for me to miss the one delivery attempt on Friday and it'll end up sitting 30 minutes away from my house all weekend just to drive me nuts.

The concierge in my building accepts my packages with a signature, but the last two times the post came with a package he was away from his desk doing his "rounds" :smith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 28, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

2 questions, if you don't mind.

What time (and time zon?) did you place your order.

What was the stated delivery window for you?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

2 questions, if you don't mind.

What time (and timeline?) dos you place your order.

What was the stated delivery window for you?

I ordered it around 10:30am ET Monday.

The stated delivery date hasn't changed. It's always been Nov 2-Nov 4

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Someone developed the screensaver aerials from the new AppleTV for use on a mac:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/27/aerial-apple-tv-screensaver-mac/

Looks awesome on my iMac. It's a little bit buggy but that's to be expected.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Mahoning posted:

I ordered it around 10:30am ET Monday.

The stated delivery date hasn't changed. It's always been Nov 2-Nov 4

Mine also updated and I paid for the extra-swift shipping. I figure they are probably going to try and overnight everyone in the first wave since they obviously didn't sell out like they would on a bigger launch like iPhones or Apple Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Will Plex help me watch all the juicy (and legal) content I have stored on my computers? Without the delay ufarn is talking about? Or will I have to find some other solution for that kind of behaviour?